Japan - Miyazawa family of 4 murdered, Setagaya, Tokyo, 30 Dec 2000 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There was an update on this front which, I'm pretty sure, came in a subsequent discussion with the Chief. It's not been very clear but basically, I've spoken to him many times -- on several occasions officially which were recorded and on the record for the podcast. And then, after that, we became friends. That stuff is mostly off the record, of course. But it was on the latter side where I learned that the CCTV footage did exist and for many years thought to be a good lead on the killer. Then, around 2022 or so, the man in the video was finally identified, located, and eliminated from the investigation through fingerprinting. It was simply a guy who had the bad luck to have bought the same knife as the killer in the days leading up to the murders. The Chief wouldn't get into exactly *how* they found him or why it took 22 years for that CCTV to prove fruitful.

I've obviously spent many, many hours pondering this / discussing this. Ultimately, I think the thing that makes the most sense is politics. That's a rabbit hole where we could speculate on everything from North Korea to the US being its largest trading partner (by trade balance according to World Bank). But if we accept the premise the killer might've been a US citizen, living in Japan via a USAF family, then we'd ultimately be talking about Japan putting to death an American. I don't have the info to hand but we're talking about a very short list, let alone one stationed at a USAF base. Now, I don't say this is exactly what is happening, nor do I say I have any concrete reason to think it. I just don't have a better premise in its place. I'm welcome to ideas. As to why the TMPD wouldn't pursue an international angle--considering they went to China on the mere possibility the knife was wrapped in the vein of Chinese fish factory workers, considering they went to Korea on the possibility the shoes were sold in Korea... I just can't make much sense of that. Perhaps they have information I do not. But from the many, many hours of discussion I had, it would've been very easy to say 'there are no good reasons for looking into the US, I can't tell you why.' That never came up. Not a single solid point made against the theory, or the sand, or even Edwards AFB.

There's also a lot of precedent of the US politely telling nations to get stuffed. The death of Harry Dunn recently showcased this and the UK is a friendly nation, too... If you throw into the mix a possible death sentence and Japan's arguably inhumane death row system, I'm sure there'd be ample cause for such a request to be turned down. And that's ignoring whether or not a military court would come into the mix. I'm not a JAG, I have no idea about the process but it would possibly fall down on one of two sides here for the TMPD:

1) It's an eternal mystery, we tried everything we could.

2) We know who he is and, for diplomatic reasons, we can't get him.

I can tell you the ensuing scandal would be massive. Again, I'm just riffing here. But assuming all these notes form a melody, that's lose-lose for a lot of people except Setsuko Miyazawa. And, frankly, she's pretty much the only person in this whole storm I care about.
I don't understand why the TMPD would be so dismissive in terms of the contents of the killer's hip bag. What earthly reason would they have to discount ANY potential evidence recovered from the perp's personal belongings.

Were the fingerprints of the killer matched against employees, soldiers, etc. from any of the military bases or was any solid reason ever given as to why they didn't pursue this avenue of investigation?

What have they got to lose?

I don't understand why the TMPD would be so dismissive in terms of the contents of the killer's hip bag. What earthly reason would they have to discount ANY potential evidence recovered from the perp's personal belongings.
As I say in this post above, political consideration would be an earthly reason. As @cenazoic said:
Agreed re: politics. Particularly in the 90s, tensions were high between Japanese citizens and military bases, primarily because of crimes committed by Americans (still true today).

I agree that the US would be unlikely to turn over a teenager/military dependent to a foreign government, especially with the death penalty on the table. But also, politics; admitting a dependent committed 4 brutal murders would be absolutely incendiary.
Or if this is not the reason, then I'm still waiting to hear one other possible one. 2+ years in this thread and outside of it, I'm yet to hear one. The conversations I've had in Japan re: Yokota have all gone the same way: the TMPD would never be able to get into Yokota. That includes conversations with locals as well as authors and journalists.

Now we could imagine they might have secret evidence discounting the USAF son theory. When I directly asked if there was one single thing contradicting the theory, I was met with silence. All other questions, except for the sand where there was cageyness, were given full and in-depth answers. Nothing else was dodged. Nothing. I think it would be more likely to have been told: we discount this theory based on our findings but I am not at liberty to disclose them. If good reason to pass on this premise emerges, my opinion will change accordingly--opinions must change in-line with the evidence. Until such a time, it remains a possibility.
Were the fingerprints of the killer matched against employees, soldiers, etc. from any of the military bases or was any solid reason ever given as to why they didn't pursue this avenue of investigation?

What have they got to lose?
As above. But no, employees and airmen at Yokota (or any other US airbase) were never fingerprinted.

Last edited:
I’ve asked this many times. Tennis never gets mentioned—why?
As mentioned, I recently listened to Faceless a third time, hoping to uncover some nuggets I may have missed. Another member I deeply respect suggested I go through the old threads here for the same purpose. In doing so, it did bring out some possible insight.

I was on my high school tennis team (GO MUSTANGS!). For your racquet, you needed grip tape around the wood handle. Sweat would make it slippery, so you had to apply it. It made a huge difference. Did the killer possibly realize the wood handle of the knife would get wet and slippery, hence the use of the handkerchief for gripping purposes, even if never having killed before?

For your racquet head, you needed racquet head protection tape. There were 2 popular kinds, a soft kind, and an abrasive type. As I was a temperamental player, prone to throwing a racquet or 2, my coach suggested I get the abrasive kind. He said the abrasive tape would not only protect my racquet head, but the abrasive part would slow down/stop movement if I threw it. Was this logic suggested to other temperamental players? I'm not sure if that was true enough to justify the extra $1, but it sold me. The tape is VERY similar in texture to skateboard grip tape. I wonder if this may explain the grip tape that may have been found in the killers bag?

The felt from new tennis balls pick up all sorts of things. Leaves especially. Also, I could totally see a tennis ball picking up bird droppings on the ground, sand, etc. When you have fresh balls, you're always picking off things from the ground, when not playing on a super maintained court. Could this explain some of the contents of the hip bag?

The hip bag may be a stretch. But, when practicing, many players use some kind of hip pouch, bag, etc. to hold excess balls. If you're practicing, you're typically going over a specific skill. You don't want to be constantly stopping to scoop up balls. While the killer's hip bag is not one I've typically seen used for this purpose, it could suffice.

My high school team was blessed with 16 practice courts. However, many schools may only have a few. As such, they will typically meet for practice at public courts. Could this possibly explain the killer's connection to Setagaya park? Also, did he possibly play at courts in Miura, explaining that possible sand?

I don't know much about Japanese culture; however, if I understand correctly, most families get together during the New Year's celebration?
That is an interesting point.

As a side note, Asian countries have an alternate New Years celebration based on the lunar cycle. So, your good question may have two components:

A. Is New Years largely reserved for family time in Japanese culture?
B. Which New Years (western or Asian) is the "big one" in Japan?

Last edited:
It may be going back to the 1500es, and even more. They can’t say that the mother is from the Mediterranean, they can only say that the haplogroup is more prevalent in the Med. It doesn’t rule any other place in the world.
In regards to meditteranean Europeans in Asia....

The British and French used to have a large colonial presence in Asia. This colonial prsence was staffed by Europeans ranging from "supply clerk" to "Governor Viceroy" and from "supply clerk" to "doctor".

Anyways, when the French and British ran out people willing to take lower level colonial positions in Asia, they routinely contracted out to Spaniards, Italians, Croats and Greeks for positions that local Asians were not fully trusted in.

A good example is Mother Theresa: Albanian from the med (well, Adriatic). British government subsidizes her group of teaching nuns to set up in India as they wanted a good school for the children of senior British officials, businessmen and select pro British Indians. MT then experience her famous "Call with in a call..."

So, maybe perpetrator is Chinese from Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam etc.? 3-5 generations ago, somebody on their mother's side had an torrid affair with a handsome Croat pipefitter from the colonial naval base? The perpetrator is 1/8 to 1/32 European- but you really cant tell that by looking at him?

Last edited:
That is an interesting point.

As a side note, Asian countries have an alternate New Years celebration based on the lunar cycle. So, your good question may have two components:

A. Is New Years largely reserved for family time in Japanese culture?
B. Which New Years (western or Asian) is the "big one" in Japan?
Lunar NY is not celebrated (as a holiday) in Japan and doesn’t have holiday time either, the new year here falls on Jan 1st. It is purely a family affair and the biggest of the year. It is the one time you can essentially guarantee families will all be together and offices and workplaces across the country are closed.
The lead up is always incredibly busy and there is a lot to do. If you have a family you’re expected to pitch in, even if you’re younger. For example, Rei and Niina would be expected to help clean the house even at their young age.

Of course there are always exceptions as with anything, but if we were to generalise here on the norm - yes, a teenage boy missing overnight from Dec 30-31 would be noticed and very weird.

Just to add that although Japanese NY does fall on Jan 1st and the days before and after it isn’t a “western” new year, it is still Japanese.

As mentioned, I recently listened to Faceless a third time, hoping to uncover some nuggets I may have missed. Another member I deeply respect suggested I go through the old threads here for the same purpose. In doing so, it did bring out some possible insight.

I was on my high school tennis team (GO MUSTANGS!). For your racquet, you needed grip tape around the wood handle. Sweat would make it slippery, so you had to apply it. It made a huge difference. Did the killer possibly realize the wood handle of the knife would get wet and slippery, hence the use of the handkerchief for gripping purposes, even if never having killed before?

For your racquet head, you needed racquet head protection tape. There were 2 popular kinds, a soft kind, and an abrasive type. As I was a temperamental player, prone to throwing a racquet or 2, my coach suggested I get the abrasive kind. He said the abrasive tape would not only protect my racquet head, but the abrasive part would slow down/stop movement if I threw it. Was this logic suggested to other temperamental players? I'm not sure if that was true enough to justify the extra $1, but it sold me. The tape is VERY similar in texture to skateboard grip tape. I wonder if this may explain the grip tape that may have been found in the killers bag?

The felt from new tennis balls pick up all sorts of things. Leaves especially. Also, I could totally see a tennis ball picking up bird droppings on the ground, sand, etc. When you have fresh balls, you're always picking off things from the ground, when not playing on a super maintained court. Could this explain some of the contents of the hip bag?

The hip bag may be a stretch. But, when practicing, many players use some kind of hip pouch, bag, etc. to hold excess balls. If you're practicing, you're typically going over a specific skill. You don't want to be constantly stopping to scoop up balls. While the killer's hip bag is not one I've typically seen used for this purpose, it could suffice.

My high school team was blessed with 16 practice courts. However, many schools may only have a few. As such, they will typically meet for practice at public courts. Could this possibly explain the killer's connection to Setagaya park? Also, did he possibly play at courts in Miura, explaining that possible sand?
Tennis courts at Edwards Air Force Base appear to be literally surrounded by sand. Although this picture isn’t the best, it appears to show quite a bit of sand blown onto the courts.

Interesting side note. The courts are located in Onizuka Park, on the base. Named after Ellison Onizuka, first person of Japanese origin to go to space. He later died in the Challenger explosion.

1) I think the handkerchief was used to.prevent self-injury with, essentially, a kitchen knife that had no guard, but it didn't work.
2) while I do believe that by Occam's razor principle, a skateboard grip tape merely implies that the killer was into skateboarding, your theory about tennis racket, while veering off, is interesting, so let me get off the tangent even further:

Can you imagine a way that the abrasive-type skateboard grip tape could be used (or was planned to be used) to facilitate getting on the 2nd floor, window or balcony?

After all, it is a tape, so one can cut off a piece and tape it on the gloves. Maybe he eventually decided against it, but planned to use for climbing? Electricians use crampons to climb up poles, he could have thought of something abrasive?

Tennis courts at Edwards Air Force Base appear to be literally surrounded by sand. Although this picture isn’t the best, it appears to show quite a bit of sand blown onto the courts.

Interesting side note. The courts are located in Onizuka Park, on the base. Named after Ellison Onizuka, first person of Japanese origin to go to space. He later died in the Challenger explosion.

Nice find! I had a look on Google Earth and the images are the same. From what I’ve read the Edward’s AFB has dust and sand blowing onto it constantly because of its location…

Tennis court is sandy at Edward’s AFB, sand in the killer’s hip bag is from around there, killer wears tennis shoes, tennis court in Soshigaya park…

2) while I do believe that by Occam's razor principle, a skateboard grip tape merely implies that the killer was into skateboarding, your theory about tennis racket, while veering off, is interesting, so let me get off the tangent even further:
On the grip tape in the bag. Every time it's mentioned, I will repeat this: we do not know it was in there, it is NOT established. That goes for the grip tape, or another other element of the case that is not established. There are lots of problems with the wikipedia article in English, let alone the Japanese one which is rife with assertions without source or link. Or, more accurately, they say where they are quoting from without giving a link to the article for it to be verified. Or put another way, we're trusting the say-so of the wikipedia author. I'm going to take the time to rip this article apart:.

1) Quote:

The sand believed to be from California was also found to be near Edwards Air Force Base in the southwestern Mojave Desert , which covers an area of approximately 35,000 km2 . The sand from the eastern part of the base is distinctive and closely resembles the sand in the bag ( Tokyo Shimbun, December 14, 2009 ). Sand from the Miura Peninsula found in the jacket pocket was also found in the bag.California is the birthplace of skateboarding, and Umikaze Park on the Miura Peninsula is a place where skateboarders gather and where competitions are frequently held. This makes it clear that the sand in both places is closely related to skateboarding ( Yukan Fuji, same article ).

No, it does not. I could easily make the same argument that the perpetrator loved building sand castles so this makes it clear that the sand is related to playgrounds. Or golf bunkers. Or construction work etc. This neither gives us the link to the article, nor the name of the journalist who wrote it.

2) Signs the perpetrator may have been browsing the internet. No, this is also unestablished. All that is confirmed is that he logged on and created a new folder. That's it.

3) The 60,000 yen. It says he left the money on the bookshelf untouched. It was actually the money by the computer which was right in front of him.

4) It mentions the fluorescent dye in the garage as if it's significant to the investigation. It is not. They are merely household items and the killer never entered that space.

5) It talks about Mikio being covered with a draw or Yasuko being covered with a pile of clothing. This is BS. They were not. It's possible Mikio had a draw partially on him or near him as the killer was rifling through the cabinet above his dead body.

6) It says Rei's head was covered with a futon. This, again, is BS. It then suggests that a victim's face will be covered when the killer is known to the victim, suggesting a connection. This is based on nothing.

7) "the mother's older sister wrote that the scene was not a "sea of blood." First of all, we don't know if this is An or Haruko's older sister it's referring to. But as I've said, it's just garbage. As the Chief said, the scene was horrific. He had attended murders many times and never seen something like that. How could it not be a sea of blood if Yasuko was left without a face and her brain was coming out of her head. Niina's teeth were beaten out of her mouth. Mikio's fingers severed, a knife broken off in his head. It's just frankly plain stupid. But the stupidity doesn't stop there. When you click on the source, it says: Article title unknown, Law Seminar, No. 10, 2002. So completely unverifiable. Who gave said seminar? What did they say? How do we know this?

8) The Special Investigation Task Force's investigation revealed that a young person could have easily broken into the house through the second-floor bathroom. As we've discussed many times, while possible he entered through that window, it obviously is NOT easy. Moreover, the task force have no idea how he entered the house whereas this would suggest that they do. Again, more garbage.

9) Quote: The front door was locked when the body was discovered, [10] and no traces of the perpetrator, such as fingerprints or bloodstains, were found on the doorknob or anywhere else. So, firstly, the front door was not locked when the bodies (not body) were discovered. It's true no blood was found on the door but it's obviously patently untrue that blood was not found anywhere else. I suspect this is just plain mistranslation which, again, only highlights the pitfalls of this page. And now to its source: Article title unknown, Mainichi Shimbun, January 29, 2001. No link. Good luck finding this article.

10) Furthermore, because the bloody footprints left in the victim's house were only in one direction, going up the stairs, a senior police official suggested that "the perpetrator took off his shoes at the front door to enter the house and commit the crime, and then put them back on halfway up the stairs as the floor became covered in blood." [ 12] This is plain wrong. The killer's footprints are throughout the house. Moreover, this would require him to have entered through the front door which, we don't know if he did, but it's certainly the most unlikely entry point. And of course, a non-existent link for that 12 there.

I'm not even a quarter of the way through the article and there are 10 problems already. All of this largely without links, and the ones that do, are non-existent when you click on them.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum
Back