Japan - Miyazawa family of 4 murdered, Setagaya, Tokyo, 30 Dec 2000 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
@Lalalacasbah I also hung around with skaters in the early 00’s (high five! haha), but just on that - there are videos out there on YouTube of the groups of skaters who used the adjacent skate park by the Miyazawa house and they were certainly not a quiet bunch let’s just say that. If you search 祖師谷公園スケボー they’ll come up. Most are early 00’s not too long after the family were killed, so likely some were around when it happened. Interesting to see.

In fact, that skate park still has big groups who use it today and it now includes elementary school skaters too. They have dedicated clean up groups to prevent it from getting too messy with leftover trash, cans, bottles, etc, now though.
Thanks, that's wild! Yes, skating isn't quiet and with young children trying to get to nap/get to bed I totally get the annoyance now that I'm a parent haha... I'm glad the skate park is still used.

I think the killer was a bit on the fringe/socially awkward and never quite fit in. So if a skateboarder (or not) and interacted with this regular group in some form at the skate park, I feel like he wasn't quite 'in' the cool/regular crowd. He would've been in and out and almost outcast/observer (poser?).

I think he was an outcast and maybe that's why the expensive/overtly stylish clothes? BUT I am thinking like a Canadian who isn't in Tokyo! However, I do remember the 00's well (living in Vancouver BC at the time)... the killers style was typical and trendy - not skate clothes I have seen skaters skate in. Most guys I knew wouldn't skate in those clothes but more like something one would wear who was really trendy. MOO

Thanks, that's wild! Yes, skating isn't quiet and with young children trying to get to nap/get to bed I totally get the annoyance now that I'm a parent haha... I'm glad the skate park is still used.

I think the killer was a bit on the fringe/socially awkward and never quite fit in. So if a skateboarder (or not) and interacted with this regular group in some form at the skate park, I feel like he wasn't quite 'in' the cool/regular crowd. He would've been in and out and almost outcast/observer (poser?).

I think he was an outcast and maybe that's why the expensive/overtly stylish clothes? BUT I am thinking like a Canadian who isn't in Tokyo! However, I do remember the 00's well (living in Vancouver BC at the time)... the killers style was typical and trendy - not skate clothes I have seen skaters skate in. Most guys I knew wouldn't skate in those clothes but more like something one would wear who was really trendy. MOO
I also don’t think he was a skater or had anything to do with the groups at the skate park. Due to the age range given I don’t doubt he knew people and was friends with those who were skaters, but he wasn’t one of them and didn’t know those at Soshigaya park.

I think just a coincidence Mikio was having noise trouble trying to get the kids to bed and had a few arguments with the skaters outside.

Does anyone know if it's true the hankerchief was ironed? Or is this a mix up and referring to what @FacelessPodcast mentioned about the nose bent and killer used as face mask? I am reading an old article from 2017 but I don't think it's condsidered MSM so I won't post in case. If so, isn't this another military trait? The ironing of such things?

Said article mentions killer was vegetarian according to the food ate the day before but isn't that common cuisine in Tokyo so not necessarily a vegetarian diet per se?

ETA: Oops, it's an article Nic wrote! So I guess true and I didn't hear about the ironing of the hankerchief until I read that.

Last edited:
I had read somewhere I can't remember if on thread or article he was non-verbal, which is on some spectrums of autism and makes sense.

I still suspect the killer knew this... hence why he was (dare I say) spared the brutality the others got. MOO
Just on this, I’ve been reading excerpts from An Irie’s book this afternoon about the murders. She says of Rei:

“He was certainly a special child. He couldn’t speak words clearly and he couldn’t look you in the eyes. Not only that, instead of words, strange sounds and loud voices would just spill out from him”

So I take this to mean that Rei was likely unable to communicate effectively with words and was often making loud noises, shouting, making sounds, etc.

It could explain the sound-proofing installation a bit more and also indicate why Mikio was not alerted quicker if Rei was usually making noises like these.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Txwoman
Back