ACTIVE SEARCH JAPAN - Patricia "Pattie" Wu-Murad, 60, US Citizen, on hiking trip Kumano Kodo Trail, didn't arr next stop Osaka, 10 Apr 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
How do we know that stream where the backpack was found runs south?
It seems to go in that direction from the Google Street Views of the current in the area where her backpack was found.

So she was upstream from there (likely) when her backpack entered the water, which may have been on-land most of the time but then washed into the stream during the typhoon or she fell in, or it was tossed in by a third party. It is very easy to get lost hiking but I also wonder how she wouldn't have realized before she got that far upstream from that village. She would be passing landmarks that were not on her plan and a quick look at the map and she would have known.

Because I'm not good with directions, excuse me if this makes no sense...

Is it possible she took the wrong trail, thinking it was the correct one, got off that wrong trail, and tried to navigate back to safety/the trail based on improper knowledge of her beginning location, then ending up in the vicinity of the backpack?

Because I'm not good with directions, excuse me if this makes no sense...

Is it possible she took the wrong trail, thinking it was the correct one, got off that wrong trail, and tried to navigate back to safety/the trail based on improper knowledge of her beginning location, then ending up in the vicinity of the backpack?
We will likely never know. When you're lost you can do irrational things. There is certainly a scenario where she walks a long way, realizes she is lost and will not be able to backtrack because she won't have a place to stay- so she tries a shortcut to get herself back on track.

Another Japanese language article.

Using Google Translate, it said the backpack was in the stream, which was about 4 km (about 2.5 miles) away north of the village. The fisherman collected it and looked in it, and took a photo. After going home and checking, he reported it to the police. The police retrieved the backpack the next day.

Here’s a picture of the backpack from the news article.
IMG_0481.jpeg

I still think it’s quite odd that it was missing most of its contents. Even with a rip in the side, which I believe was reported, having walked a pilgrimage myself, there would be things stored in all sorts of pockets in that bag. It’s unlikely that it all would have tumbled out of every zip pocket unless the rip was very large. I suppose it’s always possible that the bag was found on land though, someone dug through it looking for valuables, may even have found her name inside, panicked and tossed it in the river.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18
Back