ACTIVE SEARCH JAPAN - Patricia "Pattie" Wu-Murad, 60, US Citizen, on hiking trip Kumano Kodo Trail, didn't arr next stop Osaka, 10 Apr 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Some mentioning in passing of a “sister trip” in Spain. Had Pat been to it?

Rsbm.

Yes, she did hike part of the Camino de Santiago in Spain:

During the pandemic in 2020, Pattie Wu-Murad retired from her job at United Technologies where she'd worked for more than 30 years. When the pandemic restrictions were lifted, she started researching trips. In fall 2021, she hiked a portion of the Camino de Santiago, a pilgrimage route that winds through Europe and into Spain.

"She loved it so much that she wanted to do it again," her husband, who now works as a math coach for the Norwich Public Schools, recalled. So she did, the next time bringing a friend. A trip to Egypt and Jordan followed.

Thank you for posting this wonderful video. It's great to see part of the trail. And how hard it appears to be. They had some great notes & commentary as they hiked.

It did seem very lonely on the trail. But, with Pattie's yellow backpack, I think that might have helped someone to notice her (at least if they came upon her soon after an injury or fall)? Maybe? I do wonder if she was on a different trail altogether now that her backpack has been located. But why? And how?

You are welcome!
I noticed that it is not far from civilization at all but with these high trees and lack of light, it might be easy to get lost. Also, when they were climbing up, one asked, what if it rains?

And indeed, what if? April seems to be in-tourist season for the trail, meaning, shouldn't have, but who knows? It may get slippery. Also, if Pattie was traveling in-season, everything was more expensive, meaning, she needed to carry more cash than off-season.

Then lack of items in her backpack makes one wonder. Only her family knows where she'd carry cash, but I just wanted to ask. One doesn’t need to assault, merely grab the backpack and run. And then the woman who is already lost, maybe pushed/traumatized during the episode doesn't have a chance.

This case is gaining track now that her family members are/is in Japan. I wonder if someone just dumped the stuff kept at home, just somewhere, and we don't know if Patty took that very trail.

I mean, there is one obvious thing that needs to be done, one question i don't want to ask publicly if Patty met foul play. But I hope her family has done it. And that will hint at certain possibilities. Good luck to them.

Last edited:
Is it possible that one can book hiking by sister trails in different countries via the same agency?

Anything else connecting these trails?

I don't know re: booking but I would think you could.
(Eta: Yes, you can. For example here is a random company I found online that provides this type of service.)

I think there are people who travel and hike pilgrimage trails as a hobby. Or a calling. Kind of like some people like to do RV travels, or go on cruises, etc. I remember an early article when Pattie went missing and a friend/couple were talking about what a great person she is; if I remember correctly, they had met her on the Camino de Santiago. They all stayed in touch afterward, updating each other of planned hikes, etc. Hoped to meet again someday on hiking trails....

General reference about pilgrimage trails:

Last edited:
Top photo:
Google map showing walking route from Minshuku Mandokoro to what I think is the start of the Kohechi trail, where the Kohechi Funato Bridge is. (Anyone, correct me if this path is inaccurate.)
I added a yellow line & arrow where I feel the guesthouse owner probably walked Pattie, pointing her in the right direction.

Bottom Left photo:
Streetview map of area I think the guesthouse owner walked Pattie up to before saying goodbye.

Bottom Right:
url below this pic — The owner sending off another guest several years ago. This is why I surmise this is where Pattie was walked to, as well. JMO
IMG_0487.jpeg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734
Back