Jason Young to get new trial

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize for my emotions regarding this case. I lived very close to Michelle. I followed this case from day one, obtaining any and all info I could get my hands on.

I just become infuriated at comments, attitudes by those who haven't followed every inch, every tooth and nail of this case. It's all out there.....it's all obtainable.....I just wish those who so strongly defend JY would spend the time gaining knowledge, insight, and most of all FACT.

RIP Michelle......you and Rylan will have peace. I believe this with every fiber of my being!!

As a newb to the case it may not be for me to say, but I do not think you need to apologize for your emotions. I have seen you on other NC cases so I know you care about what is happening in your community, nothing wrong with that.
And also, if I say anything "stupid" as someone new to this case, let me know :).
Still debating whether I will go watch the last trial and read up or just let it all be fresh when his time comes.
Any estimate on the new trial date?

I apologize for my emotions regarding this case. I lived very close to Michelle. I followed this case from day one, obtaining any and all info I could get my hands on.

I just become infuriated at comments, attitudes by those who haven't followed every inch, every tooth and nail of this case. It's all out there.....it's all obtainable.....I just wish those who so strongly defend JY would spend the time gaining knowledge, insight, and most of all FACT.

RIP Michelle......you and Rylan will have peace. I believe this with every fiber of my being!!

No need for an apology,at least to me, anyway..:) But, this is the same case that resulted in a mistrial b/c 8 jurors found reasonable doubt the first time. I was never sure of the case and still have some doubts, nothing wrong with sharing them with each other. Whether Mr. Young is retried or offered a plea deal, there are still many unanswered questions.

Jason searched "head trauma" prior to Michelle being murdered with head trauma, but he claimed that the search was due to witnessing a vehicle accident where there was head trauma. Brad apparently did a quick google search of a new housing developement, but I think that if Brad is guilty, the animosity on the night of the murder factored into the murder.

For Brad, I think a manslaughter Alford Plea is worth a shot. For Jason, the fact that he had to drive for hours to commit the murder is problematic, but it's also worth a shot to try for a second degree Alford Plea. In the recent trial of Amanda Hayes, the max sentence was 10 years for a second degree conviction. Time served is always subtracted, so for someone like Jason, who already has several years in prison, it would be the best option.

The courts may prefer to be done with these two cases, especially since it has been reported that the NC prosecutors office is short on funds.

Murder in the 2nd degree is a B1 or B2 felony.

from: http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-17.html

Sentencing guidelines for a B1 felonies, given in months, for someone with zero Penalty Points are thus:

Aggravated.......240--300
Presumptive......192--240
Mitigated..........144--192

B2 Felony:

Aggravated.......157--196
Presumptive......125--157
Mitigated............94--125

from: http://www.nccourts.org/Courts/CRS/Councils/spac/Documents/FelonyChart_1013MaxChart.pdf

I think there's reasonable doubt there. Just because someone is sitting in the defendant chair, doesn't mean they're guilty. Just because you know in your heart that he did it, doesn't mean he's guilty. The only new evidence in the second trial was the civil court rulings declaring him as the killer by the same judge that's presiding over this trial and the daycare worker's testimony to play on the jurors' heart strings.
And what was BS about JY's testimony?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

the lights being on wouldn't be a reason why someone would assume the toddler was in danger, would it? I don't see neighbors coming a knockin' at my door just because lights are on in the middle of the night.

I don't think that turning on all the lights in the middle of the night would help alert people that there was a murder. Jason shouldn't turn on all the lights if he wants to go in, and leave quickly, as more lights increases the probability of waking his daughter. I haven't been able to come up with a good reason for Jason turning on all the lights. Someone unfamiliar with the layout of the house might turn on all the lights.

Well, Otto said "Why would someone want to draw attention to the house on the night of the murder?".

So I responded with a possibility.
Like I said, not familiar with the case.
Maybe the neighbors knew it would be odd for the lights to be burning all night long?
Matter of fact I may not read up on this at all.
A few of you posting seem so positive that he is innocent.
It kind of throws me off, not usual on this site.
Maybe I will wait for the trial and just judge it for myself.

This case is like most ... some people were convinced of guilt prior to an arrest, some were not, some changed opinions along the way.

OR....maybe someone left the lights on so a little one (CY) would not be scared?
Not that spending the night with your deceased mother isn't scary enough...

The lights were on in the middle of the night, but not when the body was discovered.

I recall VERY well and FACT proves this to be true. JY HID at Meredith's house. He NEVER contacted LE about the case....never, not once! I find it extremely odd years would pass and not once did he inquire about his wife's case or murderer. What was he to inquire about??? His dead wife! I can imagine my reaction and the reaction of any innocent person I know.....I/they would want to know what happened, how the case is progressing and the ONLY way to do that is contact LE. A non-issue???? years pass and he NEVER once inquires about the case? Yes, I guess it was a non-issue to JY. He slaughtered her, hid at Mommy's for years, and thought in his warped mind time would pass and this case would grow cold. It didn't though......and it won't!!

I'm not comparing this case to BC...they are two entirely different cases. Yes, there was/is community support for Michelle and the TRUTH. But no, emphatically no was this case compromised in any way...again, read, study, look at the FACTS of this case.

JY slaughtered his wife and unborn son........LE knows he did, those involved with the FACTS of the case know he did, and JY knows he did!

Meredith told Jason to go to her house because police were at the crime scene and he couldn't enter the house. He wasn't hiding. He was advised by family friends to not speak with police until after he consulted with a lawyer, and he followed that advice. That is in the appeal decision: http://www.wral.com/asset/news/local/2014/04/01/13529333/April_1_2014_Appeals_Court_Opinion.pdf

Jason was a suspect, so police would not give him any information. He knew that, and we knew that. I don't see any reason to criticize him when we all know and understand the reason that he did not ask police for investigative updates.

Jason didn't hide at his mother's house. He could not afford the house, and had to sell. There was interference in terms of keeping his job and securing new employment opportunities. He and his daughter stayed with either his sister or his mother after the murder. What should he have done without a job and mounting legal bills?

There's no reason to assume that people that disagree with the verdict are unfamiliar with the facts of the case.

Catching up on some older news articles and this is the case where the sister of the deceased said she knew" where this was going from the time the officers arrived on the scene and started asking questions". This is the case where Jason Young's friends told him he needed to get a lawyer quickly as the police were asking all kinds of questions about him and he had not even returned to North Carolina yet. So, this part I understand. I don't know how cooperative he was in other areas there, but I did find a few things that stood out for me. One was that there was nothing on Jason to prove he was injured in any way, and another was that the daughter was not fearful to be in his presence at any time.
i truly believe had the little girl witnessed anything this brutal she would have shied away from her father upon seeing him again. JMO

BBM. ITA. She apparently showed no fear and I find that pretty compelling in his favor.

Early on, there was an order to provide DNA, inspection of his body, etc and he did cooperate with that.

I don't think that turning on all the lights in the middle of the night would help alert people that there was a murder. Jason shouldn't turn on all the lights if he wants to go in, and leave quickly, as more lights increases the probability of waking his daughter. I haven't been able to come up with a good reason for Jason turning on all the lights. Someone unfamiliar with the layout of the house might turn on all the lights.

Someone looking for valuables would turn on all the lights and leave them on. There were items missing from her jewelry box. I think the testimony was that the lights were not only on but there was also a vehicle seen leaving the drive way or being loaded up. All of that doesn't fit with the timeline of Jason being responsible.

JMO

There's no reason to assume that people that disagree with the verdict are unfamiliar with the facts of the case.

ITA, I'm able to remember most of the key facts of the case. Also a good idea to scroll and roll when it gets emotional so the thread doesn't derail.

The lights were on in the middle of the night, but not when the body was discovered.

That's an interesting point I didn't catch last time around. I can't recall how many witnesses there were. At what time did they see the lights?

That's an interesting point I didn't catch last time around. I can't recall how many witnesses there were. At what time did they see the lights?

I seem to recall that it was around 4:30 in the morning. It might be mentioned in the Appeal decision, but don't have time to look at this moment.

I watched this trial and felt uneasy about the verdict. I know, however, I do not have the command of the facts that many of you do...so I have an open mind. I did serve on a jury for a murder trial and found that sitting in that seat was very different than watching a trial. Therefore, I tend to trust juries. I know how hard we worked. Really hope the facts are presented in a way that is a little more convincing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I watched this trial and felt uneasy about the verdict. I know, however, I do not have the command of the facts that many of you do...so I have an open mind. I did serve on a jury for a murder trial and found that sitting in that seat was very different than watching a trial. Therefore, I tend to trust juries. I know how hard we worked. Really hope the facts are presented in a way that is a little more convincing!

I hope so too. The fact that the verdict was overturned convinces me that the court was not impartial ... and that's a huge problem.

I'm disappointed in the appeal decision but I strongly believe that if the NC Supreme Court upholds that decision that the state will bring him to trial again and he will be found guilty again. If the evidence regarding the civil trial is left out, that's not going to affect it. And the third trial will have what the second one had and wasn't present in the first - JY's testimony on record.

Like a couple others here, I have followed this case from the beginning and I'm feeling emotional about it too. Would love to discuss with some differing but respectful well though out opinions here like Otto but another seems to have some sort of agenda that I'm just not going to engage with...I'm fully convinced of his guilt and look forward to the day he loses his last appeal. Sorry if that sounds cold.

My only agenda - Justice for MY, CY, LF and MF - always.

The interior, exterior, and driveway lights were on between 3:30 and 4AM per a witness.

April 1 2014 Appeals Court Opinion; pg 15

If it was a five hour drive from the house to the hotel, then it couldn't be Jason, unless the gas station and camera movement times are excluded from the timeline.

I have to wonder if the Judge recognized that the timeline didn't work without excluding the witness for the lights, and therefore he included the possibility that Jason did not act alone.

The interior, exterior, and driveway lights were on between 3:30 and 4AM per a witness.

April 1 2014 Appeals Court Opinion; pg 15

If it was a five hour drive from the house to the hotel, then it couldn't be Jason, unless the gas station and camera movement times are excluded from the timeline.

I have to wonder if the Judge recognized that the timeline didn't work without excluding the witness for the lights, and therefore he included the possibility that Jason did not act alone.

Who knows. That Judge seems to be coasting into retirement.

Thanks for looking up the times, Otto. It sure raises the obvious question of who turned OFF the lights. If the theory is that it was premeditated murder, why would JY leave the lights on in the first place? If he had help, why did he need to return home at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties