Found Deceased Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, MWT said a watch theft was not reported but that Jay’s mates said he wouldn’t have lied about it and that there were further conversations about it that morning.

I'm not suggesting there was no stolen watch, simply that the watch theft had not been reported to LE.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
So according to that article he stole the watch during the festival, not these 2 men from the air bnb. It wouldn’t make sense for him to steal the Rolex from the same men he was going back to the bnb with, whilst also making Snapchat videos in the car with them..

I honestly don’t think this has anything to do with his disappearance and I still believe he had an accident during his walk back. This is just my opinion.
But might fit with my theory that he left the road to go hide something, then when he looked back he was lost and couldn't find his way back to the road. JMO

Because they didn't buy, nor were in possession of any stolen goods. What grounds would LE have for detaining them? Giving some lad a lift to their accommodation?

Was the watch ever officially reported stolen in the first place?

Well nobody knows that. Spanish LE were looking for a missing person not investigating stolen property or whether people were in possession of illicit property or involved in any form of criminal behaviour.

A tussle in the street could be a way of stealing a watch off someone's wrist. A set up. The sorts of people who do that are well used to doing it, distraction technique. Is anyone in the group of friends known for such behaviour?
I was once made the distraction in a shop theft - two men tripped me up in such an OTT way that I responded and got mad. They threatened me in an OTT way so lots of noise and arms flailing. Meanwhile I see their mate stealing stuff off the nearby shelf and signalling to one of the men who tripped me up. So yes it would be easy to do similar and undo a watch. JMO

On learning that Jay was allegedly in possession of a £12k stolen watch, were there any indications that these men were going to take the watch for themselves? Did this prompt Jay to make an early morning escape from the Villa, whilst the two men were possibly still asleep?
If they wanted to take the watch from him, I doubt they'd have gone to sleep in front of him before doing so. Brad said that Jay sounded in good spirits when he first called him after he left the airbnb. Also, the woman who said she talked to him about the bus also didn't mention him looking distressed or upset.

Well nobody knows that. Spanish LE were looking for a missing person not investigating stolen property or whether people were in possession of illicit property or involved in any form of criminal behaviour.
Yes, but @Dotta was originally querying why the two AirBnB men were not detained for theft/handling stolen goods. I was simply explaining that they couldn't have been. The police were not aware of a stolen watch at that time.

Yes, but @Dotta was originally querying why the two AirBnB men were not detained for theft/handling stolen goods. I was simply explaining that they couldn't have been. The police were not aware of a stolen watch at that time.

I was agreeing with you. The Spanish LE were searching for a missing person. They would have no grounds at that time to question the two men or search the Casa for any other type of crime, including stolen watches etc.

This is likely all coincidence, but I found it somewhat odd nonetheless:
Pensión Playa, one of the Hotels in Los Cristianos (where Jay and his group were staying) has a picture showing a blanket draped across one of the beds:
View attachment 515113

This blanket bears a striking resemblance to the blanket being worn by the individual alleged to be Jay in the snapchat taken at the villa in Masca:
View attachment 515114

Now, we don't know that this is the particular Hotel that LL was using, however a 'Lucy' left a review on the 16th of June that ties in pretty neatly with the group's stay. (Jay arrived on the 13th):
View attachment 515115

Now, this is all circumstantial. There's nothing solid to indicate that the 'Lucy' who left the review is LL; there's a good chance that these blankets are sold all over the island, and are as ubiquitous as those awful 'Live, Laugh, Love' murals are in the UK - but it still seems like quite the coincidence that this blanket would appear twice in two completely different areas of the island whilst still connected to the same individual. I think it's safe to assume that Jay didn't take the blanket clubbing with him that evening. JMO.

Edit: Link to the Hotel on Booking.com - Pensión Playa, Los Cristianos, Spain
I have seen this too and had wondered if jay brought the blanket with him to Airbnb as there is no picture of it in advertisement of Airbnb ,true it could be as common as the love laugh live sign but I would like to know did he return to his hotel first after the after party and then go to Airbnb and if he did return first big question is why didn't he just stay there instead of going miles away could be as simple as wanting to carry on the party and his friends Lucy and Brad wanted to sleep but I suspect there was an alternate motive to go all that way to Airbnb such as perhaps more booze

“Although the land search ended, the Spanish police still continue with their investigations into why Jay had travelled to the location so far away from his accommodation.”

According to Mark, he left the property in a panic, and he added: “We have received information that would suggest that Jay left the rental property feeling scared and he would not return to the rental, even though that would have been the most sensible course of action, and also where he could have charged his phone, got some water and made contact with friends. We continue to investigate this aspect.”

But that would make 2 guys accomplices
(buying stolen goods)

And yet,
they were not charged of any criminal activity
and left free to return to the UK.
But at the time the police released them, I’m not sure they were aware of the alleged watch theft

Have there been any verifiable reports regarding CCTV footage in the area proving or disproving that the Airbnb men may have (or not) chased him? I suppose not (yet)?
(Facebook videos aside, as those cannot be relied on) If he was fleeing, as we seem to conclude here, it may be that things turned bad for him because he got lost OR because he was found by someone chasing him.
Just speculating.

My theory is that the 2 men were the ones who stole the watch and got into the fight outside the club and Jay was with them, left with them in the car and they were showing off the stolen watch which Jay then took a photo of to send to friends sort of bragging. When the men were asleep the next morning I think Jay took the watch and left thinking he could get away quickly and hoped he would be able to just get on a bus and leave but then realised he didn't want to wait 10 minutes.

This is the only explanation that makes sense to me and would explain why he didn't get a lift back from the men or wait at the bus stop. I can't see Jay being strong enough to have stolen the watch from someone at the club during a fight but pheasibly could have stolen it from 2 sleeping men in an apartment.

I think when Lucy was saying he needs to go back to the apartment she was probably saying 'I know the type of men these 2 guys are return the watch' and Jay has panicked even more.

“I noticed that the forensic police were back at the Airbnb where Jay went back to after that after party”, he said.

“He went back with these two mystery British men who the police have deemed irrelevant.

“But you do have to ask yourself, if they’re irrelevant, why were the forensic police back at that house?

But at the time the police released them, I’m not sure they were aware of the alleged watch theft

Well,
My earlier theory about the allegedly stolen watch which still stands is:

Jay allegedly stole a watch from "a burly East European"
(as was reported)

You don't mess with burly EEuropeans haha

So, 2 guys did Jay a favour taking him away from the area where he could be found by EEuropean,
taking him to REMOTE rental.

IF he wanted to sell to the guys,
they could arrange to meet the next day.
Why to go to Masca???

I have seen this too and had wondered if jay brought the blanket with him to Airbnb as there is no picture of it in advertisement of Airbnb ,true it could be as common as the love laugh live sign but I would like to know did he return to his hotel first after the after party and then go to Airbnb and if he did return first big question is why didn't he just stay there instead of going miles away could be as simple as wanting to carry on the party and his friends Lucy and Brad wanted to sleep but I suspect there was an alternate motive to go all that way to Airbnb such as perhaps more booze
JMO but do young people at raves travel with gaudy blankets in case it gets a bit nippy late at night?

Sounds like something your nan might do, how would that play out? Yes, I'll come to yours to after party/deal in stolen watches/other nighttime activities but could we swing by and pick me up a blanket for the journey :)

This does make sense however I do not see the sense of urgency in his Snapchat pics. He was comfortable enough to smoke a cigarette outside the property, then take another pic of his location on Snapchat. (The one which shows the white car outside the air bnb and views of the mountains)

To me this shows he had no urgency of getting away quickly.
I dont think there was any urgency until he thought 'I'm going to take this watch for myself' and then tried to leave the apartment. I posted my theory a few posts ago and it's the only one that makes sense to me. Jay didn't steal the watch at the club, the two men did. Jay thought he could easily steal it from them when they were sleeping and flee.

About the watch, I wonder how MW-T knew how much it was worth? Rolex’s are all priced differently depending on each style, so I wonder how he knew this one was worth £12,000?
There was a Snapchat photo of it posted by Jay on the ride back to the airbnb. He's probably looked up the make and model and worked it out from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper