Found Deceased Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a thought. If Jay had boasted about stealing a watch and traveling to the AirBnB with these two men, would Lucy/Brad have made Jay's Mother aware of the situation before he was reported missing? I assume if he posted it to Snapchat, all his friends would have seen it - it can't have taken long to get back to her either way.
If she knew about the watch and the two men before his disappearance was reported/MSM was informed, it would help explain her initial statement about 'letting her son go'.
If so, why didn't she relay this information to the authorities earlier? JMO
I think Jay's mum did relay to law enforcement that she felt someone had him as I assumed this is why it was reported in msm about snap saying "say goodbye to your son he owes me a lot of money " msm has stated that this was always a dual investigation by civil guards and mountain rescue so I'm presuming the detectives were investigating all other lines of inquiry that needed to be done like cctv ,witness accounts ,online information and collaboration of statements etc while Sars were mounting the field search

I think Jay's mum did relay to law enforcement that she felt someone had him
I wonder if they were forthcoming about the watch back then, though? It's one thing to say you 'fear somebody has him' and another to explain why you fear that. If LE were aware of the watch a few days ago, would they have allowed the two men to leave and written them off as completely irrelevant to the investigation?

Understatement of the year!
I'm sorry, but what inconsistencies? It's a great thing to state when critiquing an investigation, but as far as I can see there are no inconsistencies at all. The only 3 people who spoke to Jay that morning, that we are aware of put him outside the AirBnB. Two of the people (his friends) put him off the road and the owner sees him on the road, heading north. So, as the police have deduced, he went off-road, got lost and has been injured/succumb to the elements. Fairly clear cut. The noise about watches and thefts has been gleaned from SM and therefore should be totally ignored until proven otherwise! Oh, and the police spoke to the men at the AirBnB and were clearly of the mind they did not have anything to do with all this...

Edited typos.

I wonder if they were forthcoming about the watch back then, though? It's one thing to say you 'fear somebody has him' and another to explain why you fear that. If LE were aware of the watch a few days ago, would they have allowed the two men to leave and written them off as completely irrelevant to the investigation?
Maybe not

That's why I think the most likely scenario is that the 2 men were the ones who stole the watch and Jay was with them, left with them in the car and they were showing off the stolen watch which Jay then took a photo of to send to friends bragging saying he stole it. When the men were asleep the next morning Jay took the watch and left thinking he could get away quickly and hoped he would be able to get on a bus but then realised he didn't want to wait 10 minutes in case the men woke up and came after him.

This is the only explanation that makes sense to me and would explain why he didn't get a lift back from the men or wait at the bus stop.

I dont know if the men have then driven after him and found him or whether it is just misadventure on Jay's part but either way, the facts are that he left the airbnb in a hurry, didn't want to wait for a bus, didn't want to ask the guys for a lift or wait at their apartment which is odd behaviour but not when you consider he may have stolen from them.
Totally agree with you. This explanation seems to cover all of the points.

My theory

He stole the watch and went back to the Airbnb with the 2 men because he was cool with them and they were leaving the area at the same time.

Whoever he stole the watch from gets word that Jay is with these 2 men in the Airbnb, and reaches out to the men. They admit that he's currently at their place or just left, because they have no desire to lie or cover-up for a friend of a friend / someone they just met and create an unnecessary beef. Out of kindness, they let Jay know that these people are coming for him and he should leave. Jay panics when he realises that there's no bus so in order to not be found, has to go off-road. They either don't find him or find him and stab him.

Lucy jumps into action straight away because she knows that people are after him and the situation is dire.
This scenario explains the reason why the two men are said by authorities to not be involved in the entire thing.

Otherwise, authorities were either wrong, or lied to protect the investigation, in saying that the two men are not involved.

The issue with this scenario, the question that arises for me, is just how did the alleged victim of the watch theft identify the two men, and how did he/she determine their whereabouts, and how was the contact made?

This is likely all coincidence, but I found it somewhat odd nonetheless:
Pensión Playa, one of the Hotels in Los Cristianos (where Jay and his group were staying) has a picture showing a blanket draped across one of the beds:
View attachment 515113

This blanket bears a striking resemblance to the blanket being worn by the individual alleged to be Jay in the snapchat taken at the villa in Masca:
View attachment 515114

Now, we don't know that this is the particular Hotel that LL was using, however a 'Lucy' left a review on the 16th of June that ties in pretty neatly with the group's stay. (Jay arrived on the 13th):
View attachment 515115

Now, this is all circumstantial. There's nothing solid to indicate that the 'Lucy' who left the review is LL; there's a good chance that these blankets are sold all over the island, and are as ubiquitous as those awful 'Live, Laugh, Love' murals are in the UK - but it still seems like quite the coincidence that this blanket would appear twice in two completely different areas of the island whilst still connected to the same individual. I think it's safe to assume that Jay didn't take the blanket clubbing with him that evening. JMO.

Edit: Link to the Hotel on Booking.com - Pensión Playa, Los Cristianos, Spain
I wonder if this means they could have gone back to this hotel, or if Jay left WITH Lucy and Brad. And then left from there to Masca...?
Its also been said the 2 guys were originally staying somewhere else and shifted to Masca, maybe they were staying at the same hotel and they'd nabbed the blanket taking it with them to the next accomodation (Masca)

The issue with this scenario, the question that arises for me, is just how did the alleged victim of the watch theft identify the two men, and how did he/she determine their whereabouts, and how was the contact made?
snipped

Via fast-moving gossip ring. Person A texts B who texts C who texts the next few people, etc. Word travels fast.

jmo

A theory or two (JMO of course). Based on MW-T video, and in contrast to my earlier scepticism about him being in the mountains at all:

Jay steals a watch from person unknown, either put up to it by the two AieBnB men, or because he knows/believes they will buy it from him once he’s done it.

He goes back to the AirBnB where they’ve told him they have the money for it.

The transaction goes wrong somehow: maybe they refuse to pay him and threaten him, maybe he tries to take both the watch and the money.

(This must be after the cigarette/steps pic, presumably.)

Jay leaves in a hurry, corroborated by the (now 3 according to MWT) witnesses in Masca.

He gets lost, in the area MWT claims to have pinpointed on the map, rings/facetimes (I’m still not 109% which) Brad, rings Lucy, has some misadventure or is caught up with by the AirBnb men. Bad result ensues whichever.

Yeah thats what a previous post lead my thoughts to also.
Now i'm wondering, if you were out there with a watch that you stole, and everyone knows its you who took it. How likely are you to resurface while your face splattered across every newspaper etc lol
Could be a robbery gone VERY wrong for the robber in this respect
Maybe the kids hadnt expected it would get this big...

I thought people don't wear watches these days?

Was it a diving watch? Or some such sports watch?
People do wear watches these days-one of the most popular ways to flaunt ones wealth. Especially these brands. I personally never wore my Rolex when travelling but some people care more about looks, than the investment itself. Especially so those who have stolen them.

Last edited:
This scenario explains the reason why the two men are said by authorities to not be involved in the entire thing.

Otherwise, authorities were either wrong, or lied to protect the investigation, in saying that the two men are not involved.

Calling around and passing on messages.

Could even offer a grand for a name and location.

Interesting that he MWT states in the above article in the examiner.uk that they have a lot of personal and sensitive information they will not be releasing to the public ..I wonder what else there could be considering all the things that has come out so far

So, alleged victim of the supposed watch theft calls the two men, having found one of their phone numbers, OR, calls the casa and the person at the casa gives the two men a message to call the victim of the watch theft, OR, person at the casa forwards the incoming call from the victim to the room of the two men, all of which nothing can be found anywhere to substantiate.

Then, as I understand the speculation, the two men, being aware now that J may be in trouble, and the victim of the watch theft is on the way, decide to let J know that, and he books it out of there, hiding when any car comes by, then gets off the road, where the next round of speculation begins.

Why would they say YEAH, he's here at this casa, then tell him to get outta there? Wouldn't that put them at risk from angry 15,000 U.S. dollars watch theft victim?

Yes, local authorities may have discovered all this in an investigation, and it simply isn't being reported, to protect said investigation. But not one individual has come forward otherwise to so much as mention anything that points to any of the scenarios discussed here....not to my knowledge.

In the mean time, after all this is supposed to have happened, authorities vehemently put out there that the two men are not involved in any way, shape or form.

Yeah thats what a previous post lead my thoughts to also.
Now i'm wondering, if you were out there with a watch that you stole, and everyone knows its you who took it. How likely are you to resurface while your face splattered across every newspaper etc lol
Could be a robbery gone VERY wrong for the robber in this respect
Maybe the kids hadnt expected it would get this big...
Okay, this is a real reach, but:

What if the original owner of the watch was acquainted with the group, and knew Jay and Co. Previous to the watch being stolen?
What if this person had caught up with Jay and/or contacted LL and said he wanted a specific amount of money to replace the stolen watch/as compensation for the theft and has kept Jay essentially as a hostage since the day he went missing.

<Edit: Removed reference to fundraising>

This could also go some way to explaining why Jay's mother was convinced somebody 'had him', and also why she seemed disinterested in searching for Jay herself. Also why absolutely no trace has been found of Jay since he left the AirBnB.

There's no way they could have foreseen how huge this story would become and how much scrutiny would be paid to any funds potentially getting used as a ransom payment.

I'm not sure I even find this plausible, but it's certainly possible.

Last edited:
About the watch, I wonder how MW-T knew how much it was worth? Rolex’s are all priced differently depending on each style, so I wonder how he knew this one was worth £12,000?
Easy search on Ebay sold or Chrono24

Funnily enough I have been looking at Rolex and AP watches this morning (work) and can confirm they’re still very popular with rich people!
Hi do you know if when buying a rolex if that a serial number is taken from the watch and registered to your name for insurance purposes maybe the guy whose watch was stolen didn't have those details with him to report it stolen straight away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper