Spain Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So, alleged victim of the supposed watch theft calls the two men, having found one of their phone numbers, OR, calls the casa and the person at the casa gives the two men a message to call the victim of the watch theft, OR, person at the casa forwards the incoming call from the victim to the room of the two men, all of which nothing can be found anywhere to substantiate.

Then, as I understand the speculation, the two men, being aware now that J may be in trouble, and the victim of the watch theft is on the way, decide to let J know that, and he books it out of there, hiding when any car comes by, then gets off the road, where the next round of speculation begins.

Why would they say YEAH, he's here at this casa, then tell him to get outta there? Wouldn't that put them at risk from angry 15,000 U.S. dollars watch theft victim?

Yes, local authorities may have discovered all this in an investigation, and it simply isn't being reported, to protect said investigation. But not one individual has come forward otherwise to so much as mention anything that points to any of the scenarios discussed here....not to my knowledge.

In the mean time, after all this is supposed to have happened, authorities vehemently put out there that the two men are not involved in any way, shape or form.
My hunch - and it's just a guess from my armchair in my simple law-abiding life - this is a rather low-brow crowd living a fast life. Thefts are not going to be reported to authorities. And, it's possible more was stolen that night than one single watch. We don't know and perhaps will never know.

jmo

Hi do you know if when buying a rolex if that a serial number is taken from the watch and registered to your name for insurance purposes maybe the guy whose watch was stolen didn't have those details with him to report it stolen straight away
With Rolex you get a card with the model and serial no. There's no name. Once you report it as stolen they'll take note of both. Its possible the watch was stolen, before it was stolen by Jay.
Stolen watches can change hands many times after its stolen from the original owner due to scum bags generally staying in the same circles.

I doubt it. In addition to @Kor_Phaeron 's point about Lancashire Police lacking local knowledge, a good many countries view accepting foreign law enforcement assistance as infringing on local sovereignty.

To be fair, that was in regard to the search. I could certainly see Lancashire Police assisting in any enquiries related to UK citizens connected to Jay's disappearance that may potentially become POI's in a future investigation. They'd technically need to be involved to some degree should Spain request extradition.

Hi do you know if when buying a rolex if that a serial number is taken from the watch and registered to your name for insurance purposes maybe the guy whose watch was stolen didn't have those details with him to report it stolen straight away
High end watches bought from authorized dealers would very likely be linked to the purchaser via serial number for warranty purposes.

These records would then be kept at the dealer, and also likely uploaded to a confidential data base maintained by the manufacturer as the warranty can probably be transferred if the purchaser moves.

But..... the same high end watch purchased on the secondary market, or from a "grey market" vendor (new watch, but not being sold by an authorized dealer) would not be under warranty. So, no tracking by serial number to the purchaser.

Okay, this is a real reach, but:

What if the original owner of the watch was acquainted with the group, and knew Jay and Co. Previous to the watch being stolen?
What if this person had caught up with Jay and/or contacted LL and said he wanted a specific amount of money to replace the stolen watch/as compensation for the theft and has kept Jay essentially as a hostage since the day he went missing.

<Edit: Removed reference to fundraising>

This could also go some way to explaining why Jay's mother was convinced somebody 'had him', and also why she seemed disinterested in searching for Jay herself. Also why absolutely no trace has been found of Jay since he left the AirBnB.

There's no way they could have foreseen how huge this story would become and how much scrutiny would be paid to the which obviously has no chance of being used as a ransom payment any more.

I'm not sure I even find this plausible, but it's certainly possible.
The happy ending in this scenario is they now have more than double the watches value, and everyone walks away happy. And a bit wealthier lol.
I dont know. The watch thing has thrown me now. I was convinced of misadventure before.

The happy ending in this scenario is they now have more than double the watches value, and everyone walks away happy. And a bit wealthier lol.
I dont know. The watch thing has thrown me now. I was convinced of misadventure before.
Except that now there's absolutely no way of them paying a ransom without outing the potential captor. The Banks and LE in both countries will be watching transactions from relevant person's bank accounts like a hawk. Any large transfers/withdrawals will set alarm bells ringing.

I still don't really believe there's a captor/hostage situation. But I think it's wise to consider all reasonably plausible scenarios.
Other posters have nailed it as far as I'm concerned - Jay found an opportunity to leave the AirBnB with the watch while the two occupants were asleep. They gave chase when they noticed Jay was missing - possibly after being told by Ofelia that she saw Jay heading north.
Jay spotted the two men in the hire car heading up the road from Masca and panicked, taking himself off-road to lose them/hide and telling Brad he had to end the call.
He manages to lose the two men in the brush and realises at that point he is hopelessly lost and absolutely knackered thanks to the come-down from the night before and the sudden drop in adrenaline from the chase.
Calls Lucy in a panic. Lucy reports him missing.
Jay still in the Tenerife brush somewhere with a Rolex in his pocket.

Last edited:

It seems to be a very quick time between booking and arrival. It doesn’t clarify whether Mr Abdul actually stayed there, he could have just booked it for the other two men.
Sounds like it was booked after landing in Tenerife? How strange to not pre book accomodation !

Certainly if you’re buying one legitimately it should come with all the original paperwork including serial numbers
New (as in not previously purchased by an individual customer) high end new watches can be purchased from two general sources:

A- Authorized dealers (what the manufacturers prefer for a variety of reasons) B. "Grey market" dealers (disliked by manufacturers for a variety of reasons).

As you suspected, new purchases from authorized dealers come with all paperwork, warranties, and both boxes (high end watches have both outer and inner boxes which can be pretty fancy in and of themselves and are an expected part of the purchase).

But.... new "Grey market" purchases might not have say, both boxes and all the papers. This is because Grey market dealers buy excess inventory from authorized dealers and some of the "bells and whistles" secondary stuff may of gotten lost in the shuffle etc.

-

With Rolex you get a card with the model and serial no. There's no name. Once you report it as stolen they'll take note of both. Its possible the watch was stolen, before it was stolen by Jay.
Stolen watches can change hands many times after its stolen from the original owner due to scum bags generally staying in the same circles.
Thank you for your reply ,it interested me as I was wondering how law enforcement ensure that the person trying to retrieve their watch from stolen property is the person that owns it as you have pointed out they are a hot commodity in criminal circles both as a way of payment for goods and as a purchase for status and I imagine lots are stolen from original owners yearly whom have bought legally

Sounds like it was booked after landing in Tenerife? How strange to not pre book accomodation !
I'm thinking this is a crowd who travel and party by the seat of their pants, not by schedules and planning like would seem more comfortable to most of us. They figure it out as they go, always ready to shift plans and travels.

jmo

Ours are not new but almost always have the paperwork. They are also not usually as cheap as £12k ;)
I had a general impression that most such watches would have all the bells and whistles given their possible source was an authorized dealer and that watches having all the "this and thats" get the seller a higher price.

But, as a non dealer, I was hesitant to emphatically state it. So, I used the term "might not have".

People keep mentioning hitching a lift on the Jay threads, unless hitchhiking has made a resurgence that I'm totally unaware of it, it's just not a thing these days, I can't even recall the last time I saw anyone trying to thumb a lift. The chances of a car stopping to pick you up unless you're a glamorous blonde in a mini-skirt would be zero.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dnstfr
Back