Spain Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I would have thought a rolex was worth at least 30,000 new and a second hand one perhaps 10,000
I am not a dealer, but.....

As another poster mentioned, It depends alot on the model. Then there are considerations like what the secondary market is doing regarding especially desirable models and say, especially desirable models with desirable early serial numbers.

In the end, some used Rolexes can cost more than new ones of the same model. Likewise, for say, older "general" models one can buy used- no, I mean ahhem, "pre owned" examples for say what- 3-5k?

I would have thought a rolex was worth at least 30,000 new and a second hand one perhaps 10,000
Opposite way round for all of the sports model Rolex's.

There are years long waiting lists for them. So the second a person finally has say a Rolex Submariner from an authorised dealer they've been waiting 2 years for it the second hand price will be substantially higher (£4-5k) than they've just paid for it.

It's like the opposite of driving a new car off a dealers forecourt where the car will instantly lose thousands.

My local authorised dealer won't even contemplate putting you on the waiting list for one unless you are spending £100k+ a year on other watches and jewellery with them. They only get about 4-5 sportsmodels per year. - they won't tell you this but I have a friend who works in this shop.

Depends who’s owned it, how old it is, how rare it is etc. I just looked it up and for example Paul Newman’s Rolex sold for £14 million a few years ago.

However, I doubt the Rolex / AP in this case is worth any more than you’d pay in a shop. Still worth nicking if you’re that way inclined, mind!

Except that now there's absolutely no way of them paying a ransom without outing the potential captor. The Banks and LE in both countries will be watching transactions from relevant person's bank accounts like a hawk. Any large transfers/withdrawals will set alarm bells ringing.

I still don't really believe there's a captor/hostage situation. But I think it's wise to consider all reasonably plausible scenarios.
Other posters have nailed it as far as I'm concerned - Jay found an opportunity to leave the AirBnB with the watch while the two occupants were asleep. They gave chase when they noticed Jay was missing - possibly after being told by Ofelia that she saw Jay heading north.
Jay spotted the two men in the hire car heading up the road from Masca and panicked, taking himself off-road to lose them/hide and telling Brad he had to end the call.
He manages to lose the two men in the brush and realises at that point he is hopelessly lost and absolutely knackered thanks to the come-down from the night before and the sudden drop in adrenaline from the chase.
Calls Lucy in a panic. Lucy reports him missing.
Jay still in the Tenerife brush somewhere with a Rolex in his pocket.
This.

I'm not convinced about the watch theory ? What decent solid evidence is there ?
And being scared ? Neither of his friends who gave live Interviews said that he said anything about being scared ?
Now ok ...they may not have wanted to mention it in public..or even to the police the first day ...but by the second day they would have told the police.
Again we do notknow what the police know but their actions so far have been based on him being lost

The idea that Jay stole the watch off the European is for the birds, looking at him he is a skinny little runt going by the photo by the pool with no shirt on, no way would he be able to mug what was described as a muscular Eastern European, if anyone did it must have been the 2 who hired the Airbnb

[
I'm not convinced about the watch theory ? What decent solid evidence is there ?
And being scared ? Neither of his friends who gave live Interviews said that he said anything about being scared ?
Now ok ...they may not have wanted to mention it in public..or even to the police the first day ...but by the second day they would have told the police.
Again we do notknow what the police know but their actions so far have been based on him being lost

You can get new rolexs for much less than that depending on the model of course, some cost around £10k new.

According to the snap chat message which of course may be fake he didn't steal a rolex anyway

Pisa claimed: "The other interesting thing that he told me is that the mobile phone ping, for it to ping from where they think it pinged from, you would have had to throw the phone into the bushes because you would need a machete to get into that undergrowth in that ravine.

"Another one of these theories is that maybe someone threw his phone there and he is somewhere else. But the police are saying that they are keeping all avenues of investigation open

The idea that Jay stole the watch off the European is for the birds, looking at him he is a skinny little runt going by the photo by the pool with no shirt on, no way would he be able to mug what was described as a muscular Eastern European, if anyone did it must have been the 2 who hired the Airbnb
A theft like stealing a watch or wallet isn't done by brute force but by stealth and practiced handiwork, imo. And it's often done while in a ruckus, while the target is being jostled about in a crowd or chaos. A smaller guy actually has the advantage, imo.

jmo

[

Thanks yes I saw this ...but surely they told the police this very early on ? And the police actions didn't fit with that so I'm not convinced.
It also states there has been no official report of a stolen watch

It's possible that there was no stolen watch and that Jay just decided, unwisely, to stray from the path. We saw a similar situation with Dr Michael Mosley, who sadly died in Greece a few weeks ago, after embarking on a walk/hike in extremely hot temperatures.

A theft like stealing a watch or wallet isn't done by brute force but by stealth and practiced handiwork, imo. And it's often done while in a ruckus, while the target is being jostled about in a crowd or chaos. A smaller guy actually has the advantage, imo.

jmo
Exactly!

I do still think he had an accident. But (allegedly) getting involved in criminal activity and with dodgy people means there's always a chance someone caught up with him, unlikely as it probably is.

Last edited:

jmo
Hadn’t thought about that, good point, reports in the media talked about a fight/altercation in the area of the rave so I assumed it was related to the European guy having his watch taken from him

For me "if" there's a watch taken ..and it's an "if" it's a possible reason to stay with people and drive miles if you are promised a cut.
If you were then told to "do one" ..you are not getting a cut by people..it could be a reason to leave and try and walk.
But if this is the case imo the most likely scenario is he got lost in rough terrain trying to take short cuts

Thanks yes I saw this ...but surely they told the police this very early on ? And the police actions didn't fit with that so I'm not convinced.
It also states there has been no official report of a stolen watch
The Eastern European guy may well not have reported the watch as stolen to police because he himself could be involved in organised crime/bought the watch with laundered money or something so didn’t want the police to investigate the watch

Hadn’t thought about that, good point, reports in the media talked about a fight/altercation in the area of the rave so I assumed it was related to the European guy having his watch taken from him
A fight with a crowd watching is a good cover for pickpocket, watch thieves. The fight could even for exactly that purpose, if the thieves are part of a ring.

(Can you tell I've been the victim of this at one point?!)

jmo

They are reported to be staying at the same place.

Jay, 19, was staying in Tenerife's popular Los Cristianos resort, sharing an apartment at the three-star Paloma Beach complex with pals Brad Hargreaves and Lucy Mae Law
Thought LLs parents own an apartment there and she was staying there not with the 2 boys?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dnstfr
Back