Spain Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Last edited:
Yes, I know Interpol can't be called by the public. If they thought there were links with organised crime routes (U.K./ Spain/ beyond), though, they would indeed communicate with Interpol, certainly when something has become high profile enough to interfere with business, which this definitely has.

Culturally it is quite different from here to Southern Spain and the Canary Islands. Can you give me an example of a high-profile case where a Spanish national has been lost or killed or wanted for a crime here, and the U.K. police have not managed to sort things out? I can't think of one off the top of my head but that may have more to do with how business and the movement of people happen differently in different parts of Europe than with our forces being especially competent. If you can think of a few cases like that, or even one case, we could have a look and see if we can answer your question. I bet they do exist!

I can only think of cases that were solved pretty promptly. We had two murders here committed by non-U.K. E.U. nationals within 24 hours of each other, Eleni Pachou and Moira Jones. One of the murderers was from Canarias, and Eleni was Greek. Moira's killer was Slovakian and they had to go and get him under a European arrest warrant. There was also the case of Karen Buckley a few years ago. Of course, the U.K. was still in the E.U. during these cases, which might have implications for communication.
BTW I don't mean to assume that JS has met with foul play. Of the three cases I mention only one began as a missing person case.

"They need to give the family a break. They are a good family, nice decent human beings, and they are desperate to find Jay. I would say to people 'please think before you write or say something and focus on something positive or don't say or write anything at all' because the family do read it and it's being passed back to them and it's really not nice. Imagine the heartache they're going through not knowing if Jay is alive or not and then you read people slaughtering you online.".

Shane said: "The police have been good, but I think it would be helpful for the family to have a police family liaison officer because they haven't got that at the moment and I think that would help them. I would also like to get mountain experts out there to help and I know that's something they're looking at."

"I've been thinking third-party involvement from the start. There's just some things that have already been out there. Why would two lads hire a villa up here? They're down on the strip, you know what it's like down there."
I can just about understand that someone who lives and works down near the bars and then has a friend fly over- wants to book somewhere nicer to stay, or perhaps his friend wanted to stay elsewhere. Or maybe where AW lives was a studio with one bed- so for today, I am allowing that choice and not necessarily writing it off as it was to do a drug deal or something else. I am however still curious that it was a new listing

"They need to give the family a break. They are a good family, nice decent human beings, and they are desperate to find Jay. I would say to people 'please think before you write or say something and focus on something positive or don't say or write anything at all' because the family do read it and it's being passed back to them and it's really not nice. Imagine the heartache they're going through not knowing if Jay is alive or not and then you read people slaughtering you online.".

Shane said: "The police have been good, but I think it would be helpful for the family to have a police family liaison officer because they haven't got that at the moment and I think that would help them. I would also like to get mountain experts out there to help and I know that's something they're looking at."
I genuinely feel for them as it is every parents worst nightmare- but by this point with the donations, why not appoint a translator and a lawyer. It would suck up a huge chunk of money, but surely it would be worth it.

"I've been thinking third-party involvement from the start. There's just some things that have already been out there. Why would two lads hire a villa up here? They're down on the strip, you know what it's like down there."
i kind of wonder if the two men in the airbnb could take legal action if jay’s friends or other people keep implying they were involved after they were cleared by the spanish police? would that be a possibility in the UK or in spain?

Nothing seems to be reliable.

But I'm looking at 6am timing.

I've seen:

6am - Neighbours at Casa Abuela Tina report noises from the house.

(Ofelia about when they arrived)
She added: "I didn't see him and the people who were renting the property get back but I've been told there was noise around 6am on Monday so I imagine it was around that time.

Then we also have couples/neighbours asking them to move the car.

Edit: grammar
Yes I remember reading about the noise at 6am but again this doesn’t concur with the timeline as I’m sure in MWT’s first statement (link attached), he said they left the strip at just before 6am so they couldn’t have been back much before 7am. Someone has their times wrong.

Someone posted earlier that if you ask for the walking route from Masca to San Cristianos on Google Maps, it tells you to go north from the Airbnb to join a southbound trail farther up,
I have read that but cannot replicate it myself, every time I plan a walking route it sends me south along one of the many southern trails. He had many easier routes to follow down south, 1 followed a winding road and the rest along various trails that headed straight to the more built-up flat area to the SE. It is human nature to favour going downhill and towards your destination. None of it adds up to me. One major issue I have is, why did the two men rent an AirBNB in such a remote area so far away from the main strip. and why with such little notice. I feel this is premeditated and in someway Jay knew his fate towards the end. This is just speculation though.

I think we need to tilt our thinking on where he was walking to- he was hungry and wanted cigarettes (I’m guessing Ophelia who could have gone and got him some, didn’t. We know he was short as AQ gave him one)- the bus wasn’t arriving- this was going to be his next logical port of call- not getting all the way home.

At this juncture, I'm thinking this young man was simply missed by searchers. He will likely eventually be found within a few kilometers of where his phone last pinged.

As far as all other discussed items, the two men, the car, the watch, the drugs....it's entirely plausible these things have an element of truth, and may play a part in J's motives for walking off, but the result, I think, is that he succumbed to the elements in the general region of his last phone ping, or at least, within a few hours walk on a path or trail from that location.

"Jay Slater's 'desperate' family

vow to continue search in Tenerife until missing teen is found.

Mr Duncan said the family feels like they've been left on their own
and asked if they wanted help from police in the UK,
he said:

'We would love that,
it's just not as simple as that'.

"So far we've just been in touch with
the British consulate out here
who have been saying
it's still a live investigation,
we have just got to sit tight.

It's just adding to the despair really'."

At this juncture, I'm thinking this young man was simply missed by searchers. He will likely eventually be found within a few kilometers of where his phone last pinged.

As far as all other discussed items, the two men, the car, the watch, the drugs....it's entirely plausible these things have an element of truth, and may play a part in J's motives for walking off, but the result, I think, is that he succumbed to the elements in the general region of his last phone ping, or at least, within a few hours walk on a path or trail from that location.
Totally agree!

I can’t see the contradictions so far either I don’t find it strange that a dehydrated, possibly hungover/post drug ingestion teen with little knowledge of the area and no water or phone, could get lost and succumb to heat stroke.

I suspect the exact situation happens pretty often but the outcome is rarely fatal and so the subject doesn’t go missing and no one makes the news. After all, Michael Moseley who also should have known better, recently experienced the same sad end.

Every year, athletes also can develop “malignant hyperthermia” in adverse conditions. A combination of dehydration, environment and genetic susceptibility.

Plenty of comments in MsM from searchers about the terrain and lack of visibility. Michael Moseley was right next to a resort and only seen from the sea because of a watch glint.

Some interesting posts in the last hour so.

Perhaps we are also underestimating just how far he could have walked? Much of the terrain in entirely passable and there are many established and slightly less trodden paths up there. Looking at the established paths, there are over 30 miles worth between Masca and El Molledo alone from what I've measured. It was warm, but it wasn't deadly temperatures. Perhaps he walked for many hours before succumbing to an accident or exposure from the cold throughout the night? The area is vast and he could be curled up under a bush, it could be that simple in terms of him not being found yet.

However, linking into the earlier posts, just how busy were the paths that day/morning with hikers?
Not forgetting also (I mentioned this several threads back) there's a lot of water channels that lead to tunnels deep into those ravines, caves, deep rock crevices etc. The tunnels run all along that coast from one area to the next throughout that area which all forms part of a huge water irrigation system. I watched a few YouTube vids and read some hikers pages those tunnels look eerie as hell and many unaccessable to the public but vandals have broken the access gates regardless over the years, makes for an interesting read/watch Desperate for shelter/water did JS end up here by chance (or dumped depending on which way this case takes your imagination!) has always been a theory in the back of my mind

Agree with what you say. Family needs support. Cold hard facts about a lot of people, portray something a lot different to the whole picture. It must be so hard having someone you love portrayed as Jay has been.

I can just about understand that someone who lives and works down near the bars and then has a friend fly over- wants to book somewhere nicer to stay, or perhaps his friend wanted to stay elsewhere. Or maybe where AW lives was a studio with one bed- so for today, I am allowing that choice and not necessarily writing it off as it was to do a drug deal or something else. I am however still curious that it was a new listing
As you say he may live in a tiny place and needed extra space for a friend visiting and it could be as simple as there wasn't any cheap available Airbnbs as it is holiday season.
If this is a new listing (please can you share where the info is for that), and off the beaten track, the owner may be advertising it cheaply to gain business.

I'm surprised they haven't done one before now. It's usually one of the first things the family does when someone goes missing. Also offering a reward, no matter how small. JMO.
I can understand them not offering a reward. That money would have sit there, stagnating, waiting for actionable information that may never be forthcoming. Judging by the kinds of people wanting a piece of this case, they'd get hundreds, maybe thousands of tips, and they'd have to devote time to investigating them instead of simply searching.

They probably feel the funds are better put to use immediately.

Given the amount of judgment the family has received almost from the beginning, a press conference may do more harm than good, giving sneering gossips and conspiracy theorists soundbites and footage of the family as ammunition to judge them.

TL;DR: They're damned if they do and damned if they don't. They've never been through this before, and they can't possibly know which of the public's many suggestions are the right ones.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tabathahoward46
Back