Found Deceased Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

You're all welcome to tell me I've lost my marbles but.... if Jay had come to that sharp bend in the road which then turns back on itself, is it at all possible that he could see the other side of that 'V' of road and decided to cut across country to the other side to save time and distance?
very early on, I thought exactly this when I was wandering around on street view seeing if there was any place it might make sense to cut through

Still seems plausible to me, even if it does look quite difficult

MWT said the guys stopped on the way to the Airbnb at Santiago del Teide at a Cafe/shop, to get drinks. Street view shows a cafe/bar next to the bank and taxi rank.
If the guys had a contact that would be in the market for a watch in that area, it could be an easy place to meet.
Do we know if the place has CCTV?
I have no experience of stealing anything - are there really people able to source large amounts of cash and head off in the middle of the night to buy watches that they have no knowledge of the provenance of?

If we are to believe that they'd only booked the airbnb a matter of hours earlier I can't imagine that had anything there at all which would make sense of stopping at a petrol station/cafe on the way.

Do we even know if they'd been to the place earlier in the day to collect the key?
They arrived on the Friday at the Airbnb, having booked it 90 minutes earlier.

I have no experience of stealing anything - are there really people able to source large amounts of cash and head off in the middle of the night to buy watches that they have no knowledge of the provenance of?
And why the rush once you have it?

You'd be amazed how much cash some people keep around the house or on their person. And these aren't even the ones involved in any kind of serious criminal activity.

The mid-level criminals like the two AirBnB guys could potentially be wouldn't have easy access to money launderers, but would know better than to deposit their money in a bank. It would likely be held in large amounts of cash, or converted to easily liquifiable assets for international travel (gold jewelery, luxury watches, etc).

Unlikely.

The motives and rationale of why Jay went with the chaps to the AirBNB has been discussed in depth and doesn’t really lead to any concrete version. As someone that may have partied as a young man, I can see Jay going back to the AirBNB for a host of legitimate reasons, here are some examples, all of which I’ve done or been party (no pun intended) to:

To party, only to get there and then quickly fade;
To score some drugs, to use then or later;
To make new connections (particularly to try and impress people);
To not even think anything through properly as I’m on drugs and just go with the flow;

And yes, as a young man, I’ve found myself out of the way, without a clear plan on how to get home. Drink and drugs can do that to you…

You'd be amazed how much cash some people keep around the house or on their person. And these aren't even the ones involved in any kind of serious criminal activity.
No, I'm not surprised by that at all but I am surprised that anyone would jump up and rush out in the small hours and make a meet with that cash within minutes of being contacted. This supposedly happened in a very short space of time and IMO it's not plausible.

If we are to believe that they'd only booked the airbnb a matter of hours earlier I can't imagine that had anything there at all which would make sense of stopping at a petrol station/cafe on the way.

Do we even know if they'd been to the place earlier in the day to collect the key?
They'd been at the rental for three days by the time Jay went there, though... They were due to leave the next morning.

Something old,
Something new...

"In the car they played music all the way,
they stopped once to get a can of fizzy drink,
and there was three of them in the car,
Jay in the back and Qassim's friend in the front.

'Once at the property, his friend opened the door, and went to the left and went straight to sleep'.

'Jay walked in, and Qassim walked in behind him,
went upstairs, and got him a red blanket.'

Jay then asked for a charger and then went into Qassim's friend room, while he was sleeping and got the charger.

Mr Williams-Thomas said that Qassim told him he then went to sleep and woke up to the sound of the door buzzing.

He added:
'Qassim opened the door and spoke to a woman and man and they told, him to move his car,
which he did and he said he could see Jay chatting to a woman'.

He said that after moving the car,
he came back and saw Jay had his trainers on
and he told Qassim that the woman had said he could get a bus 'every ten minutes'.

Qassim said to him
'Chill, mate, I'll drop you off later, when I wake up'
but he said Jay said
'nah, I need some scran,
I'm hungry'.

Jay said he had been told by the woman the bus to Los Cristianos was every ten minutes
and Qassim said there was no bus and added
'Do what you like'
before going to sleep.

Mr Williams-Thomas added:
'Qassim says the next think he remembers is getting a call from one of Jay's friends to say
he is lying in a ditch somewhere
and that he's been 'bitten by a cactus'."

I assume it’s a UK word and also I’m way behind on this thread so apologies if it’s been thoroughly explained but what is scran? I’m picturing spam (canned ham) lol.

I assume it’s a UK word and also I’m way behind on this thread so apologies if it’s been thoroughly explained but what is scran? I’m picturing spam (canned ham) lol.
You beat me to it :) I'm a Brit and have no idea what that word means but presumably it's some type of food or snack. Just checked and yep, it does mean food or more accurately 'grub', which in UK parlance might mean a burger, or chips or something fast and basic.

I had to ask Google as English is a foreign language for me, haha
"Food" as in slang.

Teens have their own specific language.
Even their parents don't understand half of their expressions.

Last edited:
I had to ask Google as English is a foreign language for me, haha
"Food" as in slang.

Teens have their own specific language.
Even their parents don't understand half of their expressions.
They do but to me scran is quite an old fashioned word, I wouldn't expect to hear a teen saying it and google tells me it's not generally used in Lancashire, it's from the other side of the country/Scotland.

Maybe it's making a comeback in a wider area

They do but to me scran is quite an old fashioned word, I wouldn't expect to hear a teen saying it and google tells me it's not generally used in Lancashire, it's from the other side of the country/Scotland.

Scran time is a north west influencer, goes around take aways reviewing them on tik tok and YouTube

Dbm

Last edited:

Scran is a common term in parts of Northern England, not exclusively used by teenagers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove