Spain Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If he was as off his face on drugs as he appeared to be in the videos and was ‘still buzzing’ as described by Brad, he won’t have been making sensible decisions at all. Usually people get away with poor choices but sometimes they don’t.

It’s tragic and heartbreaking but sadly not a surprise that be might have slipped, fell or stumbled.

RIP Jay

I don't think it's that crazy he went off the road. He was travelling North, either mistakenly or misled by apple maps, the first thing he would have come to is a cafe. The cafe was shut - it opened at 10am. Opposite the cafe was a path leading up to a transmitter of sorts. It would make absolute sense to walk up a hundred yards or so, to get a good view of his surroundings. This is the view on Google Earth looking towards the Baranco Juan Lopez, where it appears his body was found:

1000003013.png

He would have seen the outbuilding or cottage at C, notably (if you zoom in on Google Earth) with some clear plastic water containers against the near wall. Given that he was thirsty it's not inconceivable he would leave the road at A, walk down a gravel path - suitable for 4x4s - towards B. Along that track is where has last known location is. Note: some people have imagined him jumping off the road to evade people - he was on the track so this seems extremely unlikely.

Having got to the building at C, and presumably finding it empty, the next building would have come into view at D. There's actually 4 buildings along the track, 2 seems OK, the third is pretty derelict, and the fourth is a little off the trail and nothing but walls. You can see the latter two on the YouTube videos from people who've walked all the way to the beach. I think it's possible he moved on to the second building before getting into the sunk costs fallacy zone and continued to the river.

One thing worth mentioning is that the overgrown ravine footage we've seen is what he fell into, not what he was walking through. Depending how far he got there may have still been a half decent trail.

As to why he left, the obvious answer to me is that the old fellas he left with were knackered and had no intention of giving him a lift any time soon. As to the idea of him being scared on leaving, neither the two calls we know he made, the fact he popped out for cigarettes and went back, and Orphelia's description of him don't suggest that at all. The only person who has is a failed detective turned gutter press reporter who has a vested interest in keeping the mystery up. Maybe there is more to it, but I can't see it.

Gos bless his wee soul. Absolutely tragic. I hope all these social media platforms are closed down now and this poor family can be left to grieve and try and heal. My thoughts go out to his family and his friends. I hope his friends are left alone they are just kids too who tried to do their best in a terrible circumstance that they could never have imagined being in.

I don't think it's that crazy he went off the road. He was travelling North, either mistakenly or misled by apple maps, the first thing he would have come to is a cafe. The cafe was shut - it opened at 10am. Opposite the cafe was a path leading up to a transmitter of sorts. It would make absolute sense to walk up a hundred yards or so, to get a good view of his surroundings. This is the view on Google Earth looking towards the Baranco Juan Lopez, where it appears his body was found:

View attachment 518105

He would have seen the outbuilding or cottage at C, notably (if you zoom in on Google Earth) with some clear plastic water containers against the near wall. Given that he was thirsty it's not inconceivable he would leave the road at A, walk down a gravel path - suitable for 4x4s - towards B. Along that track is where has last known location is. Note: some people have imagined him jumping off the road to evade people - he was on the track so this seems extremely unlikely.

Having got to the building at C, and presumably finding it empty, the next building would have come into view at D. There's actually 4 buildings along the track, 2 seems OK, the third is pretty derelict, and the fourth is a little off the trail and nothing but walls. You can see the latter two on the YouTube videos from people who've walked all the way to the beach. I think it's possible he moved on to the second building before getting into the sunk costs fallacy zone and continued to the river.

One thing worth mentioning is that the overgrown ravine footage we've seen is what he fell into, not what he was walking through. Depending how far he got there may have still been a half decent trail.

As to why he left, the obvious answer to me is that the old fellas he left with were knackered and had no intention of giving him a lift any time soon. As to the idea of him being scared on leaving, neither the two calls we know he made, the fact he popped out for cigarettes and went back, and Orphelia's description of him don't suggest that at all. The only person who has is a failed detective turned gutter press reporter who has a vested interest in keeping the mystery up. Maybe there is more to it, but I can't see it.
Brilliant post, completely agree with everything you said

View attachment 518105

What does "E" refer to on your map?

<snip>
Not to forget that between the two calls with his friends, there was a third, incoming call. (We know this because he cut Brad off to take it) When he spoke to Brad, he was in fine spirits and on or just off the road. When he spoke to Lucy after the incoming call, he was lost, disorientated and, as she says, panicking. You may very well be right (although I don't fully go along with the description of MWT, who has been helpful in some instances, despite his need for publicity) but the doubt still niggles me. I am hoping his phone was found.

Why does she need to apologise? It was the police themselves who announced the search was over:

• 30 June 2024
The search for missing British teenager Jay Slater in Tenerife has been called off, police say.
Tenerife's Guardia Civil told the BBC: “The search operation is over. Yesterday was the final day of the search."

She was having a bit of a go at the police before. In the end, they found him. I hope this wont be deleted. I'm on a roll today with having posts deleted. Apologies if this post also broke a rule. Its a shame you cant see the actual post that was deleted-and only the reason. Hard to understand how one has erred.

Not to forget that between the two calls with his friends, there was a third, incoming call. (We know this because he cut Brad off to take it) When he spoke to Brad, he was in fine spirits and on or just off the road. When he spoke to Lucy after the incoming call, he was lost, disorientated and, as she says, panicking. You may very well be right (although I don't fully go along with the description of MWT, who has been helpful in some instances, despite his need for publicity) but the doubt still niggles me. I am hoping his phone was found.
Id have to re-find Brad's interview but iirc he didn't say it was an incoming call, he said something like it might have been. My impression was that he was just suggesting a possibility

JMO

I still have that question - why on earth would he think that that (not the bottom of the ravine but the terrain at all) was a better option than the road or waiting for the bus or a lift? Why did he leave at all? I simply don't buy the 'young people make poor decisions' argument. He sounds a fairly steady young man. I still feel there was a reason for his sudden departure. I really want to hear MWT's explanation of his previous statement.

and... if the dogs were resting through the heat of the day, how in heaven's name did anyone find him in that area at all? Someone deserves huge thanks and respect for their diligence and courage.
It can be as simple and as devastating as a series of unfortunate events. One thing led to another.

It’s 111 F here with the heat index today. I just ran an errand in a suburban shopping center and felt woozy and thirsty. I can’t imagine his plight under those circumstances and in that frightening terrain. Poor kid.
I think because of the nearness to Dr Mosley it was first thought that heat was an issue but I believe it was later confirmed to be under 20 degrees C and actually chilly at at that time in the morning and Jay would have been quite cold in just shorts and a T ahirt

It can be as simple and as devastating as a series of unfortunate events. One thing led to another.

In my country we say that
"Misfortunes come in pairs"

And somebody told me in other country
"they come in 3s"
But I don't remember which country it was.

This is what i'd also like to know. It was inaccesible. So how was it accessed to discover him? (apologies if post breaks a rule)
Could have flown a drone in perhaps - they were able to get a helicopter over to help with recovery. Inaccessible might also be shorthand for it being really dangerous and not a good idea for the general curious public to go anywhere near (but merely almost inaccessible and rather treacherous for the experienced S&R teams). There was the video earlier in the thread where they were using machetes to hack through.

Last edited:
This is an interesting article

"The search for Slater had been carried out 'under a secrecy order from the court in charge of the investigation', LBC reported.

Officials had been 'carrying on with the search, unbeknownst to anyone' in a bid to stop internet sleuths from searching themselves."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heartishome
Back