Spain Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact even Lucy is starting to say this doesn’t add up is good. With the amount of people looking and he was fit and healthy it just doesn’t add up at this stage.
I can see how you might think that but you only need to look at Micheal Mosely whose body was in the open only a few yards from an establishment and still no one saw it to see how easy it is to miss something, the terrain in the area of Tenerife would make it almost impossible to find someone if you only have the vaguest idea of where to look

IMO

I remember being his age in similar situations and his actions (leaving quietly, I assume) make perfect sense to me. If he was 'on something' the night before then it seriously lowers your inhibitions and suddenly everyone is your best friend. Once it wears off, you're acutely aware that it's actually quite awkward that you're in a random person's house. You'd rather leave quietly while they sleep it off than wait an indeterminate amount of time for them to wake up.

It would also explain not charging his phone. if you're off your face it doesn't strike you as important, or you don't even notice. In the morning you wake up on a sofa and don't even know where they keep anything. Leaving just seems like less of a fuss.
This is spot on. lots of people are asking questions as if this was a sleepover. Chances are by 7-8am, nobody had slept yet. Things start to get uncomfortable when the sun comes up and the peak of the uppers (mdma, cocaine etc) wears off. I've experienced this myself many times, just never never in a strange country where the climate and terrain can kill you. If it hadn't been 3 days, i'd be inclined to think the party is still going on somewhere in a villa with the curtains closed.

Ms Law slammed Spanish police for not taking the hunt seriously, adding 'I think they could be doing more'.

She told MailOnline: 'I know they have had a helicopter and drones up but to be honest I think they could be doing more.

'The other day I was on Veronica's Strip in Los Cristianos and I picked up some information and I went to the Guardia Civilia and they said "who is Jay Slater?"

'Can you believe that? It doesn't really give you much confidence does it. I've been out looking and so have his friends and family

"Slammed Spanish Police"???? :oops:

Phew!
Words fail me.

"Esto es el colmo"
As the Spanish say.

Last edited:
Has anyone managed to identify a route he took from the apartment to the dropped pin
So far the information is very difficult to verify, but it seems the location of the bus stop is here (Google Maps Link). This seems to be correct based off one of his Snapchat posts (also see attached & compared to Google Street View). The front garden has been changed since street view was photographed. But you can see the distinctive peak in the background, the agricultural soil terraces and the white car, are all the same.

Interestingly, the direction he has aimed his camera is the direction he should have taken and yet he seems to have headed Westerly and for some unknown reason, off the road.

Snapchat.jpegStreetview.png

This is spot on. lots of people are asking questions as if this was a sleepover. Chances are by 7-8am, nobody had slept yet. Things start to get uncomfortable when the sun comes up and the peak of the uppers (mdma, cocaine etc) wears off. I've experienced this myself many times, just never never in a strange country where the climate and terrain can kill you. If it hadn't been 3 days, i'd be inclined to think the party is still going on somewhere in a villa with the curtains closed.
Very true but then that makes it even less likely he's 'left quietly'. The people who were in the apartment have said he's left to get a bus, so they must have been awake to know that. If he went there early hours of the morning it's very likely none had slept by then.

I can see how you might think that but you only need to look at Micheal Mosely whose body was in the open only a few yards from an establishment and still no one saw it to see how easy it is to miss something, the terrain in the area of Tenerife would make it almost impossible to find someone if you only have the vaguest idea of where to look

IMO
Whether the police have more information than is out in the public domain we don’t know- but with Michael Mosley there were sightings and although it took too long to locate him, the search areas were evidence based. The road that JS walked down had 24 hour webcam footage, I’m surprised they haven’t confirmed he did or didn’t get that far, further down the road is Hilda’s viewpoint a cafe which again would most likely have CCTV. The alleged apartment was an air bnb which I’m guessing will quite possibly have had CCTV as it was in a remote area and often unoccupied which would give a clearer picture- but there has been nothing. Reading about where Lucy and other people have been to search it seems quite uncertain as to where to look as well. New papers would happily pay out for those images, so why is there absolutely no confirmed sightings anywhere- the view of the road webcam being the most obvious as if he’s not seen on there between 7.30 and 8.50 then they are not even close to looking in the right location, as most of the searches have been the path leading away from that lay-by.

True

By his own testimony, he was lost, dehydrated and injured in dangerous mountain terrain, so surely it’s much more likely he has died of misadventure? If Lucy is telling the truth, and she sounds honest.
Which then raises the question of where to search- at the minimum we normally have a clear indication of where they are focusing a search and ruling out areas that have been searched.

I reckon he’s gone onto Google Maps as he missed the bus, Maps has given him a direction to walk which takes him to the hiking trail. He’s following that but lost his bearings so phoned his friend while on 1% battery to update her with what’s going on (him saying “I can’t go back, I don’t know where I am” is literally exactly that, there’s no hidden meaning behind it or anything, he’s genuinely got lost). His phone’s died so can no longer rely on Google Maps to direct him so he’s probably just tried to wing it hoping he’ll come across a house, car, person etc and has got lost in doing so. Unfortunately unless he’s found a source of water I think he’s succumbed to the elements. My betting is he got disorientated and dehydrated, sat down in some shade or shelter in the vast amount of land out there and has passed away. I’m praying that’s not the case though, would love him to come back with a story about how he managed to survive on Aloe Vera plants or something.
This makes a lot of sense to me. What I can’t understand though is his thought to keep going rather than turn back to the road. I think that’s what I’d do but then again he may not have been thinking rationally, lack of sleep and maybe still under the influence.

I did really hope he would be found safe and well by now but now I’m not so sure which is really sad.

This makes a lot of sense to me. What I can’t understand though is his thought to keep going rather than turn back to the road. I think that’s what I’d do but then again he may not have been thinking rationally, lack of sleep and maybe still under the influence.

I did really hope he would be found safe and well by now but now I’m not so sure which is really sad.
That’s the thing that I don’t understand as well. I’ve only had a quick look at the area on Google Maps so not sure how easy it is to get completely lost away from the main roads but I think the majority of people would go back the way they came (or the way they think it is, can be hard if you're disorientated) if they don’t think they’re going the right way.

Saying that he could’ve got a lot further than we think and had an accident further down the line, his friend talks about the cactus cut he got to his leg so maybe that’s got progressively worse as he’s been walking and he’s been unable to carry on since then. He strikes me as quite a confident lad so I think he definitely would’ve tried to get as far as he could.

Last edited:
So far the information is very difficult to verify, but it seems the location of the bus stop is here (Google Maps Link). This seems to be correct based off one of his Snapchat posts (also see attached & compared to Google Street View). The front garden has been changed since street view was photographed. But you can see the distinctive peak in the background, the agricultural soil terraces and the white car, are all the same.

Interestingly, the direction he has aimed his camera is the direction he should have taken and yet he seems to have headed Westerly and for some unknown reason, off the road.

View attachment 511827View attachment 511828
I wonder if he thought there might be more shade off the road.

My gut feeling on this is he has gone off road and got into difficulty. I think that suggesting otherwise provides hope in a way, where as someone without access to food and water will most certainly be very well unwell by now.

That said, I remembered a relative of mine around his age got into difficulty a year or so ago in Tenerife having gone back with some men to a house and they escaped over a wall.

Map of Tenerife where Jay Slater is missing

A statement from Volunteer Firefighters of Santiago del Teide described how it had joined the search effort.

It said: "We were activated to continue with the search for the young man moving four vehicles with 16 firefighters together with local police, firefighters from Guia de Isora, mountain civil guard, Guardia Civil unit of civil guard dogs, family and friends of the young man."

I’m assuming they’ve checked hospitals nearby? There’s one fairly close to his last location, although I think he’d have been found by now if he was there. There are also no wild (dangerous) animals in that area typically which means he’s not been attacked or found by an animal. Either he is well and truly LOST or someone has played a role in this. If it’s the latter I can’t fathom why he would’ve been kidnapped or met with foul play; it doesn’t seem like he had money on him, and if he did surely he would’ve been mugged and then left? It’s also pretty desolate so for someone to find him would mean they were also walking or driving in that area at the same time - cell towers and CCTV on roads is vital in this case. I cannot believe they haven’t found him yet. All moo.

ETA: Surely dogs would have a pretty good chance at getting his scent considering it’s so quiet? Makes me even more perplexed that they haven’t found him.

IMO
I agree.

As sleuthers we have a tendency to look for complexities in cases like this that, 9 times out of 10, are eventually shown not to exist.

IMO the simplest and most tragic explanation here is that this is exactly as it appears to be. Lost in inhospitable surroundings a long way from help. Raves typically go on into the small hours and many (most?) people use drugs of some kind to fuel their fun at them, in my experience. At 8am he may well have still been under the influence of anything consumed the previous night, which might explain any poor choices and irrational thinking.

My immediate thought with this was that he had realised he was lost, not necessarily gone back but walked towards some sort of civilisation or house. Does anyone know what his line of sight would be in his last cell ping? What did he see? IMO, if my phone died I’d walk towards whatever house or building I could see. Perhaps he asked to come inside the house and hasn’t left? Asleep for a day after intense sunstroke and hasn’t yet woken? Even in this case though, SOMEONE should’ve come forward.

I’m assuming they’ve checked hospitals nearby? There’s one fairly close to his last location, although I think he’d have been found by now if he was there. There are also no wild (dangerous) animals in that area typically which means he’s not been attacked or found by an animal. Either he is well and truly LOST or someone has played a role in this. If it’s the latter I can’t fathom why he would’ve been kidnapped or met with foul play; it doesn’t seem like he had money on him, and if he did surely he would’ve been mugged and then left? It’s also pretty desolate so for someone to find him would mean they were also walking or driving in that area at the same time - cell towers and CCTV on roads is vital in this case. I cannot believe they haven’t found him yet. All moo.

ETA: Surely dogs would have a pretty good chance at getting his scent considering it’s so quiet? Makes me even more perplexed that they haven’t found him.
I don’t know if this is a stupid question but wouldn’t the dogs have also picked up blood from his leg? I suppose it depends how large his cut was too.

My immediate thought with this was that he had realised he was lost, not necessarily gone back but walked towards some sort of civilisation or house. Does anyone know what his line of sight would be in his last cell ping? What did he see? IMO, if my phone died I’d walk towards whatever house or building I could see. Perhaps he asked to come inside the house and hasn’t left? Asleep for a day after intense sunstroke and hasn’t yet woken? Even in this case though, SOMEONE should’ve come forward.
I believe there was a video shared of a couple who had walked and searched where his last ping was. It’s on the FB group and they got to almost a dead end on one of the paths. I don’t know if we can share it here?

On the call to Lucy he said all he could see was grass / hills and nothing else.

I agree.

As sleuthers we have a tendency to look for complexities in cases like this that, 9 times out of 10, are eventually shown not to exist.

IMO the simplest and most tragic explanation here is that this is exactly as it appears to be. Lost in inhospitable surroundings a long way from help. Raves typically go on into the small hours and many (most?) people use drugs of some kind to fuel their fun at them, in my experience. At 8am he may well have still been under the influence of anything consumed the previous night, which might explain any poor choices and irrational thinking.
I agree.

I'm over twice is age and can walk 20 miles just fine (though I would not attempt that particular walk). At his age, I'm sure he was thinking it was a reasonable option to just follow the road back. Perhaps he didn't realize the actual distance and/or had fuzzy thinking- and he didn't appreciate that he was unprepared with no water, no cell battery, and limited physical endurance after a night of partying.

My first hunch is he sought shade and then succumbed to dehydration in the elements. My second hunch is that he encountered bad characters on the walk.

Hope he is found soon. Very sad situation to be young, having fun, and then run into tragedy.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member