Found Deceased Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I somehow made an incomplete post there. I meant to say the photos of the "trail" look like being lost in the mountains. Scroll down for reviews and see the pics that people have uploaded:

That really puts things into perspective. A lot of the reviews say the trail is impossible to do without GPS and also it looks like the trail leads to a dead end because it’s not noticeable. I do honestly think that this is the most likely scenario, he’s become lost.

Normally the most obvious answer ends up being the right one.

That really puts things into perspective. A lot of the reviews say the trail is impossible to do without GPS and also it looks like the trail leads to a dead end because it’s not noticeable. I do honestly think that this is the most likely scenario, he’s become lost.

Normally the most obvious answer ends up being the right one.

Yes. The music on that video was spooky and that trail was nothing but ominous. I cannot imagine doing that trail thinking you are going to get to the road back but not knowing what lay ahead was a dead end trail that left you at an isolated spot at the ocean, far far from any trail or other way out.

I cannot fathom why he might chose to take that rather than hang around and wait for the next bus, unless maybe they told him it was a great hike and easy to get back to the road.

It's just creepy.

Last edited:
Yes. The music on that video was spooky and that trail was nothing but ominous. I cannot imagine doing that trail thinking you are going to get to the road back but not knowing what lay ahead was a dead end trail that left you at an isolated spot at the ocean, far far from any trail or other way out.

I cannot fathom why he might chose to take that rather than hang around and wait for the next bus, unless maybe they told him it was a great hike and easy to get back to the road.

It's just creepy.
I liked the music but you're right, it has a creepy quality. Perfect for that video, almost like the score from a movie.

I'd like to see a map of where the house is where those guys brought him, in relationship to the main road and this trail.

I have read everything here. Looked at Google street view, read all trail reviews with the photos and watched the video above.
I found possible multiple explanations for everything (although we can never know which of the theories are the right ones) apart from one thing - why on earth would he go off the road into that very immediately unpromising trail and not turn back once it became even less promising. Google maps directions absolutely do not guide you there. And even on street view it just doesn't look like it's going anywhere, already at the first meter. If he was on drugs, I cannot imagine any amount of drugs making me do that and continue to do that through the cactus (mentioned in almost every trail review) although maybe it depends on the type of drug.

I have read everything here. Looked at Google street view, read all trail reviews with the photos and watched the video above.
I found possible multiple explanations for everything (although we can never know which of the theories are the right ones) apart from one thing - why on earth would he go off the road into that very immediately unpromising trail and not turn back once it became even less promising. Google maps directions absolutely do not guide you there. And even on street view it just doesn't look like it's going anywhere, already at the first meter. If he was on drugs, I cannot imagine any amount of drugs making me do that and continue to do that through the cactus (mentioned in almost every trail review) although maybe it depends on the type of drug.
I honestly think he chose the trail not aware of its terrain and thinking it would be quicker than following the main road.

We don’t know if he was under the influence of anything, or what substance for that matter so we don’t know his thought process. He obviously must have been slightly concerned because he did ring Lucy and explained he was lost, which was a good shout. However, his decisions after that I just don’t get.

I liked the music but you're right, it has a creepy quality. Perfect for that video, almost like the score from a movie.

I'd like to see a map of where the house is where those guys brought him, in relationship to the main road and this trail.

You can kind of estimate it from the Preview the Trail on All-Trails for it. It seems one of the feeder trails is not far from the town and NW and at higher elevation.

The video and the music does have a scary movie quality to it. It would be a geologist's dream, but really a nightmare for a hungover and likely hungry and thirsty 19 year old. The video has a Picnic At Hanging Rock in Tenerife quality to it.

Last edited:
Do you know what the bus schedule was? I was thinking it's maybe just once per day. How he got it in his head that he walk back when it takes an hour to drive there I also can't imagine. Then, again, he's a kid.
Yes, there are 6 buses a day that pass through there going in the direction he needed to go. If he left the accommodation at 8am he'd have missed the earlier bus and the next one wasn't for around another hour and a half.

Makes me think he must have been not thinking normally at all. If the pin is correct he seems to have been going the wrong way for a while even though he had battery and was able to send a screenshot of his pin location. Would be interesting to hear what state he was in from the neighbour or two lads at the airbnb (one of which was driving so presumably wasn't drinking heavily or doing strong substances)

Makes me think he must have been not thinking normally at all. If the pin is correct he seems to have been going the wrong way for a while even though he had battery and was able to send a screenshot of his pin location. Would be interesting to hear what state he was in from the neighbour or two lads at the airbnb (one of which was driving so presumably wasn't drinking heavily or doing strong substances)
I wonder if he could have been asleep during the car journey to the airbnb and if he was then he would not have realised how far it was back to where he was staying. I also wonder what happened in the hours from when they got to the airbnb to the point that he left. Only three people obviously know this, the two men and JS.

Has anyone else noticed the air bnb photos shared in the media is all beige with white throws and the snap chat has him covered in a throw that looks completely out of place to the scheme? There’s something so mismatched and unusual with the style and point of that snapchat.

<modsnip> Jay was involved in a gang attack on a young man a couple of years previously , could it be related?

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip> Jay was involved in a gang attack on a young man a couple of years previously , could it be related?
Highly unlikely to be revenge for that, if anyone wanted to take revenge for that they would do it in the UK rather than in Tenerife, much easier to plan

<modsnip>Jay was involved in a gang attack on a young man a couple of years previously , could it be related?

Yes but the victim of that attack has spoke out on SM to basically say it is in the past and a young lad missing. I don’t think there is any connection, imo

I suppose it doesn’t paint a very pretty picture of JS though, but this did happen a few years ago (2021) and maybe he has learnt his lesson.

It's just creepy.
I have done the trails around here, they are hard to walk. Even with walking gear we struggled, I was thankful it was over to be honest! We were doing them in December and it was still hitting high temperatures.

IF he was doing that walk, I suspect its because theres a water taxi that takes you to Los Gigantes that runs a few times a day. Also there are always smaller ships / private boats moored up exploring the beach. Its a dead end in terms of the end of a path but theres mostly always someone there at some point in the day.

I can see how he might of seen the water taxi on google when he had battery - with it looking like its heading downhill you naturally think its the easiest route. To him its an easy option but in reality you dont realise how hard it actually is.

Has anyone else noticed the air bnb photos shared in the media is all beige with white throws and the snap chat has him covered in a throw that looks completely out of place to the scheme? There’s something so mismatched and unusual with the style and point of that snapchat.
Don't know about the throw but I'm glad you posted the article. I just jumped into this thread so had not seen that. My gosh, the road is right there, visible from the house, so it makes no sense he'd go off on a trail. Very suspicious, imo.

I have done the trails around here, they are hard to walk. Even with walking gear we struggled, I was thankful it was over to be honest! We were doing them in December and it was still hitting high temperatures.

IF he was doing that walk, I suspect its because theres a water taxi that takes you to Los Gigantes that runs a few times a day. Also there are always smaller ships / private boats moored up exploring the beach. Its a dead end in terms of the end of a path but theres mostly always someone there at some point in the day.

I can see how he might of seen the water taxi on google when he had battery - with it looking like its heading downhill you naturally think its the easiest route. To him its an easy option but in reality you dont realise how hard it actually is.
Well, we don't know what he was thinking.
That said, the water taxi isn't running anymore (first line of text on their website), it isn't going to Los Christianos anyways but Los Gigantes, and, if the pin is correct, he wasn't on the right trail for it either. A lot of things went throng in any case :(

Does anyone think that it is possible that something happened to him in the airbnb, either when he was awake or sleeping?

Does anyone think that it is possible that something happened to him in the airbnb, either when he was awake or sleeping?
I have considered that myself - it could have been anyone posting the Snapchat from his phone but surely Lucy would have known his voice when he called her in a panic. We are only really getting Lucy’s side of the story so not a lot to go on. JMO.

Edited to add - I’m still thinking he got lost and succumb to heat/exhaustion/injuries etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member