Found Deceased Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible to go back in time on these webcams views?

The new witness timing is interesting and likely reliable. She seen him walking along the road 1km from the village at 08:15 am, in the wrong direction, which ties in with the location he shared. Jay made his last call at 08:50am which only gives him 35 minutes to get "lost" which is not a lot of time. He had walked 1km in 15 minutes along an uphill road, but by the point of the phone call occurred 35 minutes later, he seems to have already left the road as he mentions he has cut himself on a cactus, assumably by travelling through scrub. However by the time search parties arrived many hours later, he will likely have moved further again.

By ruling out the webcam views and his last sighting, this could help locate the point where Jay left the road, which is ultimately the most important piece of information. It seems to suggest that he descended into the gorge in that time, because if he had went up in altitude he would see the villages and roads. This brings two possibilities, Barranco Juan Lopez (where his last pin is located) and the Barranco Del Retamar.

Good analysis.

I wonder why this lady didn't stop and tell Jay (or gesticulate to him) that he was heading in the wrong direction.

There is an obvious turning into Barranco Juan Lopez but we don't know whether or not he took it. To my mind, it is inconceivable that someone would leave the road and attempt to cut through the scrub. From Google Earth, it looks impenetrable.

I can't see Barranco Del Retamar marked on any map.

Good analysis.

I wonder why this lady didn't stop and tell Jay (or gesticulate to him) that he was heading in the wrong direction.

There is an obvious turning into Barranco Juan Lopez but we don't know whether or not he took it. To my mind, it is inconceivable that someone would leave the road and attempt to cut through the scrub. From Google Earth, it looks impenetrable.

I can't see Barranco Del Retamar marked on any map.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240621_131718_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240621_131718_Maps.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 87
Why did he go the wrong direction from the bus stop?

The opposite to the route of the bus to his destination.

Was it because there is
right-hand traffic in Spain?

Did he forget about it? :rolleyes:
Didn't he realise it?

It reminds me of American diplomat's wife who forgot about it and killed a British teen in horrific traffic accident while staying in the UK (with left-hand traffic).

Last edited:
Why did he go the wrong direction from the bus stop?

The opposite to the route of the bus to his destination.

Was it because there is
right-hand traffic in Spain?

Did he forget about it? :rolleyes:
Didn't he realise it?

It reminds me of American diplomat's wife who forgot about it and killed a British teen in horrific traffic accident while staying in the UK (with left-hand traffic).
He’d been up partying at a rave until 5am, and possibly was doing more substances after. And it was only 2-3 hours after the known 5am leaving the party this point. He wasn’t likely in a good state. I would not expect someone intoxicated/high to understand directions even if they’d been in English, or to make good decisions.

The age makes me feel uncomfortable
I don't think it necessarily should do. My Son is 18 , im 47 and occasionally we find we have booked tickets for the same venues as we have similar music taste , I'm with my friends and he is with his. I know a lot of people who go with their kids. I find the rave scene is pretty friendly and age doesn't really matter. It's a different vibe to normal clubbing. 40 isn't that old anyway.

When his friend took the call I'm suprised as he was in a bad situation HE didn't say call for help. He was alone, 1% battery, cut his leg, was thirsty and in an arid environment, and in another country, obviously due to fly home why would he or her not consider that an emergency?
Why would he not have begged her to call help?
Wouldnt he has said anything about the guys? I sure wouldve knowing my friend is in that situation due to being in their company.

I think there are probably key pieces not being said.
This friend seemed to worry later but not when 2 older men wanted company eith her younger friend? The intentions of 2 older men hanging with a young stranger is worrisome.

How long typically would search and rescue teams expend these kind of resources and continue the search before calling off?
That really varies on resources and the area of the search. Most elements of search-and-rescue involve a volunteer element and the degree to which your non-volunteer staff can be dedicated. It's not practical to have a large group of full-time sitting around waiting for an incident and although I'd expect the senior leadership to be at least dedicated to the role, others are unlikely to be. Noted that they've got firefighters involved in the search which is good (as long as they're not needed elsewhere) as they'll be used to moving in that terrain and looking for signs of human passage/presence.
Area wise, depends on how big and how quickly and thoroughly you are able to search. This is hard terrain and they'll be using the helicopters to direct efforts, but they won't be able to get into the deep valley areas.
At some stage there will have to be a scaling down when you run out of resources and the most realistic areas to cover. Not read about any signs of that yet.

this thread is moving fast - sorry if I missed this -

Is there any indication if he took a road or tried to cut through the mountain? The terrain looks so rugged, I can't imagine anyone, even an intoxicated/hungover young man, trying to navigate that...

<modsnip> Jay was involved in a gang attack on a young man a couple of years previously , could it be related?
Yes this is the article doing the rounds Eight teens stand trial accused of attacking youth with machete and golf clubs

I have read about it in a few comments on other websites and it appears he is named as one of a gang in the photos online.
It's an awful attack but of course there is a possibility he couldve been followed out there perhaps? Or maybe this is just a lad wondering in an arid climate, thirsty and lost. Its just the 2 strangers must've had intent to hang out with a much younger lone stranger.
Certainly could connect but surely his friend would've been alerted to that if he felt he was in danger with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there are probably key pieces not being said.
This friend seemed to worry later but not when 2 older men wanted company eith her younger friend? The intentions of 2 older men hanging with a young stranger is worrisome.
Snipped for focus

What makes you say this? Is the rave and drug scene only for teens not people of all ages?

Thread is closed for cleanup. Check back later.

While you wait, review the links below this post.

"Public Pages
Mainstream Media (MSM)
Law Enforcement (LE)
Approved group support pages for victims, such as "Help Find..." and "Justice for..." (usually a page run by family)
Legitimate non-profit organizations who provide assistance and support to victims and their families (e.g., Klass Kids, Texas Equusearch).

• Posts by an owner or admin of the above public social media pages may be linked, copied, quoted, or paraphrased. This refers primarily to posts or tweets by MSM reporters, announcements by law enforcement, the admin of an approved group support page (usually a page run by family)
  • NOTE: Comments and posts by readers/visitors of these pages are not allowed to be linked, quoted, copied or referenced. They are considered rumor. Just don't mention them.
  • Regarding group support pages, i.e., "Help Find..." and "Justice for...": If at any time the WS staff determines a group support page to be inappropriate, a notice will be posted in the thread stating that the page is no longer approved."
Those of you referencing the official FB page - link it when you post, don't just say "the official facebook page has a post that . . ." and make sure you KNOW it's an official page run by family members - thank you for the official FB page, @DanceCard & @kittythehare.

Last edited:
Here is the Official Facebook page (thanks again, @DanceCard & @kittythehare!) This is the only one. Others say official in the name - they aren't. JUST BECAUSE I'M POSTING THE LINK NOW DOESN'T MEAN YOU DON'T HAVE TO POST THE LINK LATER - threads move fast and not everybody reads every post. The link is required so that somebody reading on page 40 can still find the FB post you are talking about - and know that it's from the OFFICIAL FB post and not some jerk having a laugh at the expense of the victim.

The mod team is tiny - we don't have time to know all the details of all the cases and rely upon YOU to keep the threads factual and report when things are not so we can fix them.

Thanks for helping us!

Knitty,

Thread is open.

Yeah agree, just scanning along the road on google maps for someone acting semi rationally it's hard to conceive why you would leave the road if you're trying to get somewhere. There's quite steep drop offs with good visibility, nothing away from the road looks like it leads to something, it would just take much longer to get anywhere. Also looks like there's a map sign further up at Mirador La Cruz de Hilda. My only thoughts are the road snakes a bit on the way up the mountain and at points you might be tempted to cut across through the vegetation to avoid the bend in the road (more so if he had turned around and was coming back down towards the airbnb). But these areas have presumably been properly searched

In this news report, they quote the witness who talked to him about the bus schedule and later saw him walking alone as saying that he was in a non-confused mental state (I'm paraphrasing):

From article linked above.

Local Ofelia Medina Hernandez revealed overnight how she had seen the teenager walking the wrong way along a twisting mountain road shortly after he stopped her outside the house to ask about bus times.

She said: “"He was alone when I first saw him just before eight o’clock on Monday morning. He asked me what time the bus went by although he didn't tell me where he wanted to go.

"I told him it came at ten and because he obviously didn't understand he asked me the same question again and this time I put my fingers up to indicate it was ten o'clock.

"Then I went back home briefly before starting to drive to the town of Buenavista del Norte and that's when I saw him again, but this time walking on the road out of the village on the same side as me.

The missing lad seemed okay. I imagine he'd been drinking if he'd been at a festival but it didn't show in the way he spoke to me and I remember thinking when I saw him so far up the road as I went to Buenavista that he was going fast. He wasn't trying to get cars to stop when I saw him but I don't know if anyone then picked him up.

"It's a twisting country road but it's not dangerous. But if he was trying to head south he was going in completely the wrong direction and the bus stop is in the village, not where he was heading. I only found afterwards he was apparently trying to get back to Los Cristianos. He didn't ask me where the bus was going, just what time the next bus came by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member