Attachments

• Screenshot_20240618_152705_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240618_152705_Chrome.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Screenshot_20240618_152639_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240618_152639_Maps.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 87
Some info on the trail.

That's helpful as I don't have my walking maps for the island to hand.
A couple of things to ponder:
- Manchester Evening News article mentions he intended to catch a bus back but he missed it. If that's correct then he should have been on a road when he set out that morning.
- Articles mention he was close (so not 'on', although phone locations aren't always precise) to the TF51 trail and above the village of Masca. That suggests that he left the road he was originally on for the trail.
- The most likely place for that to happen would be (if he was heading south/southeast) on the TF436.
- It's windy road that runs north/south with the nearest villages being Las Lagunetas and Las Portelas. There is a bus that runs from those settlements that goes to Santiago del Tiede where it meets the TF1 major road and plenty of buses to get home.
- However the bus departures from those villages are such that - if the timings on the news article are correct - he'd have missed the early morning bus (circa 6.30am) with the next bus midmorning. (Circa 09.40am). That might indicate why he was walking.
- If he did start hiking the TF436 then the most likely turn off to the TF51 is at the Mirador Altos de Baranco. It's a popular tourist viewing spot, plenty of houses below you and the sign for the TR51 indicates only 3.6km to Casa de La Cumbre. (That name would indicate a house/village. However unfortunately it's the name for a barrranco or ravine).

A bit more specific information could put holes in some of the above.

Clever lad to ping his location just as his battery was about to die.

A kind lady made her way up to the mountains today where the last known ping came (from what I seen on the Costa Adeje FB page). She alerted local police, fire and mountain rescue all whilst a taxi was running on the meter.

I do wonder if he has become disorientated with the heat, dehydration etc.

I have been on this for a few hours and there is a time lapse but just a shame can’t search a specific time.

The photo is the last known pinged location he sent to his friend Lucy (who he is out there on holiday with). I think they need to concentrate in the mountains.

Attachments

• IMG_5897.png
    IMG_5897.png
    172.1 KB · Views: 69
That's helpful as I don't have my walking maps for the island to hand.
A couple of things to ponder:
- Manchester Evening News article mentions he intended to catch a bus back but he missed it. If that's correct then he should have been on a road when he set out that morning.
- Articles mention he was close (so not 'on', although phone locations aren't always precise) to the TF51 trail and above the village of Masca. That suggests that he left the road he was originally on for the trail.
- The most likely place for that to happen would be (if he was heading south/southeast) on the TF436.
- It's windy road that runs north/south with the nearest villages being Las Lagunetas and Las Portelas. There is a bus that runs from those settlements that goes to Santiago del Tiede where it meets the TF1 major road and plenty of buses to get home.
- However the bus departures from those villages are such that - if the timings on the news article are correct - he'd have missed the early morning bus (circa 6.30am) with the next bus midmorning. (Circa 09.40am). That might indicate why he was walking.
- If he did start hiking the TF436 then the most likely turn off to the TF51 is at the Mirador Altos de Baranco. It's a popular tourist viewing spot, plenty of houses below you and the sign for the TR51 indicates only 3.6km to Casa de La Cumbre. (That name would indicate a house/village. However unfortunately it's the name for a barrranco or ravine).

A bit more specific information could put holes in some of the above.
Bbm.

So in the area below as per Google Maps and the M.E.N report?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240618_160631_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240618_160631_Maps.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 46

I have been on this for a few hours and there is a time lapse but just a shame can’t search a specific time.

The photo is the last known pinged location he sent to his friend Lucy (who he is out there on holiday with). I think they need to concentrate in the mountains.
Oh blimey. If that's correct then he's dropped off from the road and headed downhill, and there isn't anything much down there aside from another barranco/ravine.
There is a concrete track leading off from the road so can understand why it might suggest more is down there than there is and at that point he wouldn't have been able to see that the next village was a few km away.

Last edited:
Manchester Evening News live blog.

Missing posters being put up in Adeje, which is 9 hours walk away. Is this possibly where their accommodation is. Although, the media were saying a 10 hour walk.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240618_163151_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240618_163151_Maps.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20240618_163112_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240618_163112_Chrome.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 23
Yes I think costa adeje area albeit more likely las americas (more lively) but this is where his friend Lucy initially put the plea out on the Costa Adeje FB group after his last call at 8:50am yesterday morning to her.

They were at a music festival ‘NRG’ at the Hard Rock Cafe hotel in Arona area the Saturday night. He then took a car ride with people he had met there up into the hills in the north of island (roughly 45 mins away in a car) Thinking he maybe stayed there and in the morning set off to catch a bus…

I am also thinking 45 mins in a car the night before mix that with being intoxicated it could have felt like a 20 min car ride. He may not have realised he was actually 31km+ away from his hotel…

Attachments

• IMG_5899.jpeg
    IMG_5899.jpeg
    80.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Manchester Evening News live blog.

Missing posters being put up in Adeje, which is 9 hours walk away. Is this possibly where their accommodation is. Although, the media were saying a 10 hour walk.
My best guess would be anywhere from Playa de las Americas strip area up towards Adeje. Adeje itself is known to be more expensive than Playa de las Americas and not really somewhere the young ones would have as much of a ball imo. More couply.

edited by me: correct a spelling

Bbm.

So in the area below as per Google Maps and the M.E.N report?
Yes, that's the area.
The location of the ping (posted by Loyaloil) is below the blue dotted line. Other info may suggest slightly above it.
If the ping location is correct then the track he was on largely peters out at Barranco Juan Lopez. I believe there are (very) rough trails that might eventually get down to a few isolated beaches (no roads or services). Classic lost person behaviour often means a person will choose to carry on downhill, however unpromising, rather than retrace steps. That's a much harder area to search than higher up.

Last edited:
Yes I think costa adeje as this is where his friend Lucy initially put the plea out on the FB group after his last call at 8:50am yesterday morning to her.
Ebm

Thank you that's very enlightening. Perhaps he has came off the road and was on that trail that he had pinged because Costa Adeje is down in that general direction and he could see that via a map on his phone, whereas the main road to Santiago del Teide bends away from there.

IMO

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240618_163726_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240618_163726_Chrome.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20240618_160631_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240618_160631_Maps.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 21
Ebm

Thank you that's very enlightening. Perhaps he has came off the road and was on that trail that he had pinged because Costa Adeje is down in that general direction and he could see that via a map on his phone, whereas the main road to Santiago del Teide bends away from there.

IMO

Yes that is actually true. So if he kept on in that direction where the heck is he?!

Tenerife has got quite dangerous over the years, muggings, gangs etc. I have been numerous times but I have heard some stories of late that aren’t great around safety.

Yes I think costa adeje area albeit more likely las americas (more lively) but this is where his friend Lucy initially put the plea out on the Costa Adeje FB group after his last call at 8:50am yesterday morning to her.

They were at a music festival ‘NRG’ at the Hard Rock Cafe hotel in Santa Cruz the Saturday night. He then took a car ride with people he had met there up into the hills in the north of island (roughly 45 mins away in a car) Thinking he maybe stayed there and in the morning set off to catch a bus…

I am also thinking 45 mins in a car the night before mix that with being intoxicated it could have felt like a 20 min car ride. He may not have realised he was actually 31km+ away from his hotel…
The NRG festival wasn't at the Hard Rock Hotel in Adeje or The Hard Rock Cafe in Santa Cruz.

It was at the Hard Rock Cafe in Arona.

Address: Pirámide de Arona Avda. Las Americas s/n Playa de las Américas - Arona, Tenerife 38660 ES

Yes that is actually true. So if he kept on in that direction where the heck is he?!

Tenerife has got quite dangerous over the years, muggings, gangs etc. I have been numerous times but I have heard some stories of late that aren’t great around safety.
That sounds very ominous. Good that you are bringing your knowledge of Tenerife to bear in this thread as it is making it much easier for me to follow re potential routes taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member