Jimmy Buffett, legendary 'Margaritaville' singer, dies at 76

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Oh No!!! I'm so sad to hear this. He was an all time favorite of mine, and tons of other people. He made such great, happy and fun music. He will be sadly missed. What a loss to all of us. He was one guy who I just thought would be around forever. I am sure he is making music in heaven with those who went before him. God bless you, Jimmy. May you Rest in Peace. Love Katt

His cause of death was Merkel cell skin cancer.

According to an official obituary for the star posted to his website, Buffett died at his home in Sag Harbor, New York, at age 76 on Friday from Merkel cell skin cancer — which he had been diagnosed with four years ago. (Merkel cell carcinoma is a rare, aggressive skin cancer that often begins as "red, shiny nodules on the face, hands and neck," per the MD Anderson Cancer Center.)

I saw him in concert at an amphitheater in the early 1980s. Great concert, similar to this:

FINS TO THE LEFT, FINS TO THE RIGHT!

Rest easy Pirate, one of my all time favorite Buffett songs:

We actually stayed at his resort in St. Thomas a few years back, we had some points to use and ate Cheeseburgers in Paradise and had a full size margarita machine in the room.

Last edited:
I tuned in to Sirius XM yesterday during my lunch break. The DJ’s on his Margaritaville channel were all teared up and telling stories.

J.B has contributed to my daydreams and RL travels of island life and escape. “Blew out my flip-flop” has happened!

Now, to give a re-listen to Why Don’t We Get Drunk and Screw?

Last Call.

See link for preview of "All that is Sacred" being featured now at 2023 Telluride Film Festival

8/31/2023

The 34-minute movie, which stars the famous novelist Tom McGuane and writer-musician Jimmy Buffett, has its premiere at the Telluride Film Festival this weekend.

[..]

“I hadn’t understood how powerful it was going be,” says McGuane. “We’ve shown it to a lot of people — we’ve just shown it to Tom and Meredith Brokaw — and I mean, everybody that sees it seems to burst into tears. It’s just a strong little movie and I think Scott did a great job of it.”

[..]

The project loosely has its origins in a film that was made about some of these same characters in 1973-74 but never released, “Tarpon.” It mainly focused on the writers’ penchant for casting their flies for the title fish, not their writing or music, although the then-only-semi-famous Buffett went to France to compose an original score (and is duly touted in that film’s opening credits as an “ABC-Dunhill artist”). Only seen until now in bootleg versions, “Tarpon” has recently been restored and will play as a shorts double-feature with “All That Is Sacred” at Telluride, as Ballew thinks it might once a distribution deal is made. (He says the Telluride bow will mark the beginning of their working toward that.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Little boston
Back