JLM Charged in 2005 Farifax Rape Case

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
At 2:15 in that video, they zoom in on JM's face and he looks like so scary and so angry. I could really feel the rage inside him, gave me chills.

I don't know about scary - but JLM was definitely paying attention to the proceedings and very keenly aware of what was going on with his case, what the judge was saying and what Camblos was feeling and saying. JLM is very attune to what will benefit him, his interests and his own critter comforts (mattress, clothing, legal status, representation) - he's looking out for himself at all times.

Does anyone have easy access to or knowledge of the specifics of the law that the Judge references when he stated the law requires a public defender to be appointed except in unusual circumstances? So, in Virginia, is there always double representation for those who retain lawyers of their own? Either I am completely misunderstanding his statement or that is a huge, money sucking, burdensome law.

It also seems that Camblos' insistence on NOT being lead council is the perfect set-up for future appeals. Again, if above questioned law allows for this, I would think this tactic would be used by most hired co-councels and then cause yet MORE money and time-sucks.

Does anyone have easy access to or knowledge of the specifics of the law that the Judge references when he stated the law requires a public defender to be appointed except in unusual circumstances? So, in Virginia, is there always double representation for those who retain lawyers of their own? Either I am completely misunderstanding his statement or that is a huge, money sucking, burdensome law.

It also seems that Camblos' insistence on NOT being lead council is the perfect set-up for future appeals. Again, if above questioned law allows for this, I would think this tactic would be used by most hired co-councels and then cause yet MORE money and time-sucks.

Was it Camblos who insisted or the judge?

I was wondering if maybe the law refers to county money staying within the county, as opposed to paying for an attorney out of county? By allowing Camblo's to be co-council, maybe that exception was made to ensure JM was not denied his preferred attorney - even though he can't afford him. I'm not so sure it was a bad decision for the Judge to make. JMO

"There was clearly some tension between Camblos and the public defender’s office — after both were appointed, Camblos told the judge Chief Public Defender Todd Petit had offered to allow Camblos to serve as lead counsel in the event both were appointed. Petit told the judge he had indeed made such an offer, but Camblos had rejected it and Petit now wanted his deputy, Dawn Butorac, to serve as lead counsel. The judge said he would leave the two of them to decide who would be lead."

From same source- not sure which statement you were referring to.

Oops, sorry SolVol reading too fast! Didn't mean to quote you on your own question.

Is Camblos' motion re: insanity publically available? Would love to read it.

"There was clearly some tension between Camblos and the public defender’s office — after both were appointed, Camblos told the judge Chief Public Defender Todd Petit had offered to allow Camblos to serve as lead counsel in the event both were appointed. Petit told the judge he had indeed made such an offer, but Camblos had rejected it and Petit now wanted his deputy, Dawn Butorac, to serve as lead counsel. The judge said he would leave the two of them to decide who would be lead."

From same source- not sure which statement you were referring to.

Thanks for clearing that up. Very interesting finagling going on...but like you and others - I do not want anyone to give the defense even the most miniscule grounds for post-trial appeal, mis-trial or any other legal shenanigans.

This is not a good start to this case. The main event was the two lawyers arguing. Any problems, perceived unfairnesses, will be in JM's favor. The commonwealth of VA should run this case as smooth as possible. The goal is to get JM locked up. No need to be hard nosed or tough, or contentious. The longer the time maybe a life term on this case, the less of a burden to get those other cases that may not be as clear cut as this one, to be wins. Everyone should be bending over backwards to get this case moving and to have the lawyers squabbling as to who is lead is foolish. Give JM who he wants as an attorney. Get the case on the road.

Yes! I am not up on the legal reasons why a judge would require a public defender to serve as co-counsel, but I was always of the impression that a defendant could select his/her own counsel and public defenders were for people who don't have or can't afford counsel. Whether or not JLM can afford Camblos seems to be a non-issue as JLM and Camblos seem to have an arrangement where Camblos wants to represent him.

Very very curious to me!!!

Can someone with legal knowledge please enlighten us as to how a judge can overrule JLMs request to be represented exclusively by Camblos???

I haven't heard if Camblos is planning to work Pro Bono - so, if he expects to be paid by the State of Va, the Judge will have something to say about it... duplication of services etc.

I did not appreciate Camblos referring to Hannah as "the/that Graham girl" at all :mad:
http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/201...uspect-court-sex-assault-fairfax-co/18230807/

That 's what is often the best way for the defense attorney to proceed. Which is what Camblos should be doing. Otherwise he is not doing his best for JM. Which could mean problems in the case for the DA, for the state. Right now the state, has a very strong case against JM, pretty much a clincher if that victim will come testify. Instead of even getting a plea done today, time was wasted. I don't care what Camblos calls Hannah at this point. Get that Fairfax case moving.

I haven't heard if Camblos is planning to work Pro Bono - so, if he expects to be paid by the State of Va, the Judge will have something to say about it... duplication of services etc.

I suspect that is part of the problem. First Camblos said he was not going to be the attorney for this case. Then he requested to be named PD for the case which was denied. Then he said he would be on the case. PDs and defense attorney fight for high profile cases like this. I think this is what is happening here, sadly. If the fight appears to compromise JM's defense, it could be good news for JM. Not good for the state.

The state of Virginia has some different laws in regards to public defenders and those determined to not financially qualify to pay for a defender out of pocket.
It was not reported, but I am sure when JLM was indicted he probably was given the standard determination test or whatever VA calls it. They look at his income, assets, and net worth and determine based on charges if they person can afford their own representation.
IF they determine the person cant, then they automatically appoint a public defender. Public defenders in VA have to be certified and on a specific list.
Camblos probably is not on that list to start with.

I dont know where they make exceptions for probono work.

I get the general feeling the legal fraternity of VA does not care much for Camblos for some reason.

Also in VA there is no "fighting" among public defenders. They are selected based on a rotation and availability.

If anyone cares to read about it look at VA code 19.2-163.01 and 19.2-159

Is Camblos' motion re: insanity publically available? Would love to read it.

I think it was a motion requesting professional psychological evaluation - not an insanity plea. No pleas were entered.

The judge was great - he refused to rule until after he had read the request for evaluation. He appointed another judge to review all motions and requests. I was very impressed with this judge.

I thought it interesting when the Judge asked him if he had a job at the time of his arrest he responds "No"... I guess they fired him even before that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
craig21876