JLM Charged in 2005 Farifax Rape Case

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Camblos was asking to be his state assigned defender in county where he doesn't practice by special order of the judge. If you recall, he did not want to be considered a privately hired attorney when Judge Dennis J. Smith asked, the the best of my knowledge, which isn't much.

So if Camblos decides he will do it pro bono the judge will allow it?

I share you love of this judge. He seems most concerned with the speed of the trial due to the date of the rape, etc. IMO, this judge isn't going to put up with lots of trial delays and will keep things moving along--as quickly as any legal proceeding can move. (Think fast snail...)

The evaluation could be used as a stalling tactic. Camblos probably doesn't want a rape conviction before dealing with the other charges on the horizon. Delaying is always good for his client. He probably would like to rush the Hannah Graham charges to keep the prosecution from fully developing the case. ALL just MOO....( :

Hopefully an evaluation won't delay things. Casey Anthony had an evaluation turned around within a day, IIRC.

So if Camblos decides he will do it pro bono the judge will allow it?

The judge has already approved it. He will be co-counsel with the PD. He will be paid by the state. I would imagine his compensation would be in line with that of a court appointed attorney.

OK I am obviously more confused by this than most of you. To put it simply why can't JM get the lawyer he wants if that lawyer is willing to work for him?
I'm not a legal guy at all, but it worries me.
Also, judge asked JM if he had a job at the time of his arrest and JM said No, which we know is not the case.

Matthew can hire most any lawyer he wants if he can pay for him. The issue is "if he can pay for him." If Matthew cannot afford to hire private counsel, then the Court will appoint someone to represent him but that someone is usually on the "appointment list" or, if the county has a public defender's office, they will represent the Defendant. What is happening here is Matthew wants to choose his own attorney and then have the County pay for him. Actually, to permit Matthew to choose his own attorney and ask the county to pay for him is unfair to other Defendants.

I share you love of this judge. He seems most concerned with the speed of the trial due to the date of the rape, etc. IMO, this judge isn't going to put up with lots of trial delays and will keep things moving along--as quickly as any legal proceeding can move. (Think fast snail...)

The evaluation could be used as a stalling tactic. Camblos probably doesn't want a rape conviction before dealing with the other charges on the horizon. Delaying is always good for his client. He probably would like to rush the Hannah Graham charges to keep the prosecution from fully developing the case. ALL just MOO....( :

No doubt Camblos wouldn't want a rape conviction going into the other trial(s). The Fairfax judge seemed pretty clear that he did not want the rape case against JM to be drawn out-which was one of the reasons he wanted the PD 's office to also represent Matthew.

As well, I would think the Albemarle CA would want to begin the Graham and/or Harrington trials with a rape conviction against Matthew. Can Albemarle wait until there is a Fairfax conviction before they move forward?? Not sure how this all works.

I don't think Cambols wants JLM talking to anyone else about the cases! If he can keep JLM from talking to others, then he can control any information leaked, and control the way he runs the defense. He stated it was a family matter that his representing JLM. No idea what history there is there. But he if he can get the publicity he wants from these trials, and a thumb in the nose to those he ran against and lost, and he writes a book about the JLM cases with his insider info...well, he can retire and leave the money to whoever he wants.

And it doesn't matter if those attornies get along or not. They didn't in Jodi Arias trial. Nurmi practically begged to be released as her attorney. He obviously didn't want to represent her, but as a Public Defender, was stuck with his rotation.

Cambols on the other hand is NOT in the rotation for Public Defender in Fairfax. A private attorney should be paid privately, or work pro bono. Otherwise all defendants that can't afford an attorney can pick the best around, and make the state pay for it. Can't have it both ways Cambols. Either JLM has the money to pay you, or he doesn't. BUT, Cambols did state a modest amount had been given to him to retain him! Soooo where's the moolah??

I don't think JLM is going to go along with being controlled forever. Being a rapist, he wants the control, and fear factor to punish others. Being on the receiving end of his terror has got to be rough for him. Which makes me smile. Nope, you won't eat when you want or what you want, you'll have what the jail is serving and when it gets to your cell. If it's cold by then, suck up and deal! Frankly I don't believe they should even get warm meals. Them being fed is more than our homeless veterans are receiving!

well as usual JMO!

2Hope4, I love this post, especially the last paragraph. I wouldn't doubt ole Jesse is feeling like a caged tiger by now too. I get nervous at the thought of him being transported to Fairfax. He's every woman's nightmare.

The judge has already approved it. He will be co-counsel with the PD. He will be paid by the state. I would imagine his compensation would be in line with that of a court appointed attorney.

Are you sure about that?

I have no idea how that would work. Wouldn't pro-bono counsel preclude the public defender?

Not according to statute judge referred to; JLM did not have counsel for the Fairfax charges.

Mercedes- yes, OT, but I am so sorry! That is terrible. :frown:

This is my I-am-not-a-lawyer take on what happened at the arraignment.

JLM did not have an attorney to represent him in the Fairfax case and didn't waive his right to an attorney. Therefore as required by law (I posted the statute a ways back), the judge determined he was indigent and appointed a public defender. JLM (and Camblos) requested Camblos represent him in Fairfax case. Judge rules that Camblos was to be co-counsel with the PD. IMO, judge did that looking forward to head off possible grounds for appeal. I don't believe that means Camblos is being paid by the state or whatever payment agreement he has with JLM -- whether he's working pro bono or for a fee -- is of any concern to the judge. That's between Camblos and his client.

Of course I could be very wrong on all accounts :)

I know this is off topic, but my dog just died.

Hugs...Allow yourself time to mourn. Be sad, cry when you want to and be extra forgiving of yourself for as long as you need.

Camblos wears a bow tie. Public defender wears a neck-tie. Camblos probably is liberal, civil rights activist. Public defender is probably not, but more toward protection of constitutional rights of all citizens, rather than affirmative action, defense on grounds of social justice.

JMO - admittedly guessing, going by appearances. Disclosure: have been wrong more than a thousand times.

I read an article about Camblos when it was first mentiond that JLM had asked to speak with him at the police station. This was right before JLM left the state for Texas.

You can find the article in it's entirety here.

There are quite a few disturbing things said about Camblos and his propensity to argue and showboat. The article also casts aspersions on Camblos sanity and at least played a factor in his failed re-election bid.

After reading that Im not so sure he's the right guy for the job.

One of the people speaking out against Camblos in the comments section of that article is an ex Charlottesville Police Officer.....Karl Mansoor.

If you read the comments below the op-ed in their entirety, it appears Camblos is actually a Republican but not well liked by members of either party because of his bizarre actions and malfeasance.

I find it interesting that not one person wrote a reply in his defense.

Thanks to all of you. You all are really nice to me as a newbie. I think I am still in shock. He was almost 13 and started going down hill really fast this week. Then today he deteriorated hour by hour. He died just after midnight. He had diabetes and we just couldn't do anything else. Thanks again. As I have been on this site constantly during the Hannah Graham case, I felt a kinship with you all.

Thanks to all of you. You all are really nice to me as a newbie. I think I am still in shock. He was almost 13 and started going down hill really fast this week. Then today he deteriorated hour by hour. He died just after midnight. He had diabetes and we just couldn't do anything else. Thanks again. As I have been on this site constantly during the Hannah Graham case, I felt a kinship with you all.

Mercedes, I am glad you joined in. Kinship is a good word to describe being a websleuther. There are some great minds here as well as compassionate people. Besides, Hannah's family and friends, as well as other victims and their families, could use all our prayers and support! Keep posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bridgetraiann