JLM Charged in 2005 Farifax Rape Case

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In addition to that is the bizarre bomb case Camblos was involved in a few years back, the following is excerpt from an interview on that case.

"Camblos said that the oldest kid in the case (“the ringleader”) was born on the 100th anniversary of Hitler’s birthday and the anniversary of Columbine. I held my breath during the sentence, thinking where can he possibly be going with this?. And then he did it — Camblos concluded the sentence with: “we took that very, very seriously.”

I think it important to point out that this colorful career episode is from his tenure as county prosecutor. So, I think this may speak to the larger issue of how courts, including judges, may be suspect in their motivations. Although they may mean well, there exists little to no oversight. That an appointed or elected legal professional could publicly assert such nonsense, yet can and do boggles the mind. It can result in a colossal waste of tax dollars and absurd wrongful convictions.

On a side note in absurdity, our county prosecutor actually charged a man with killing a protected reptile without a permit; he killed a venomous snake to protect his kids; the snake just happened to be a state emblem. He was found guilty or a misdemeanor. Ahem.

BBM.

We disagree I guess. I haven't seen anything to show me that JM could not have passed a GED equivalency exam.

When I responded about the "regular h.s diploma" you were referring to, I was taking into consideration what Albemarle County School District calls a "modified standard diploma" or "special diploma" and just lumping them all in as legitimate diplomas. I believe it very possible- likely even- that he graduated with one of these. So I think we may actually be saying the same thing in a way.

But I believe that if he did get a modified standard diploma or special diploma, then he graduated with a h.s. diploma. He did the work he was required to do to earn that degree. It sounds like I'm defending him, and I'm not defending him in any moral way whatsoever (good heavens no), but I am saying that yes, I think he got his diploma legitimately. I don't think he was coddled or given some sort of special pass as it pertains to him graduating high school. His h.s. diploma has no bearings IMO on whether he has a moral compass. Sure, it would be nice if a potential serial killer doesn't get rewarded with a h.s. diploma, but I don't think that's reasonable to expect.

pages 9 and 10 for reference here: http://www2.k12albemarle.org/Documents/High-School-Program-Guide-2009-10.pdf

Of note, he did NOT attend Murray School. So an ISAEP is not something he received according to this document. That is interesting to me. We can rule out I think that he was "at-risk" which is interesting as it may pertain to his defense strategy of competency....

"An ISAEP provides an educational experience for students at-risk of dropping out of school that can prepare them for continued learning, successful employment, and responsible citizenship. A referral to ISAEP may be made by the student’s base school when a student demonstrates substantial need for an alternative program. The ISAEP recognizes standard educational schedules and methods are not successful for all students. An ISAEP offers the opportunity of successful closure to one’s high school experience, and opens the possibility for continuing education...The program is located on the campus of Murray High School."

Thanks for your enlightening explanation. I understand JLM's educational path much better now. I still wonder if he would have been able to pass a GED exam. Is that a requirement for graduation in any high school these days?

Thanks for your enlightening explanation. I understand JLM's educational path much better now. I still wonder if he would have been able to pass a GED exam. Is that a requirement for graduation in any high school these days?

SolVol- He went beyond a HS education, so to attend college he would have had to have had his diploma. Just basing this on higher education standards.

Thanks. Well, it does appear that a GED may in fact be more difficult...if you take into consideration that high school diplomas make accommodations for learning disabilities. From what I can find, the GED is more one size fits all. "To pass, test takers must perform on a level comparable to or above 60% of high school seniors." (http://education-portal.com/articles/A_High_School_Diploma_v_the_GED.html)

So, if JM did have learning disabilities, he may not be able to pass a GED specifically :thinking: Whereas he could actually get a high school diploma legitimately.

I don't think a GED is a requirement for US public school high school graduation. It isn't in Albemarle County county schools, which is where I graduated from.

(Mods, hope we're not OT with the education issue. I see it as applicable to how JM's defense may play out regarding competency but of course redirect if necessary)

Thanks. Well, it does appear that a GED may in fact be more difficult...if you take into consideration that high school diplomas make accommodations for learning disabilities. From what I can find, the GED is more one size fits all. "To pass, test takers must perform on a level comparable to or above 60% of high school seniors." (http://education-portal.com/articles/A_High_School_Diploma_v_the_GED.html)

So, if JM did have learning disabilities, he may not be able to pass a GED specifically :thinking: Whereas he could actually get a high school diploma legitimately.

I don't think a GED is a requirement for US public school high school graduation. It isn't in Albemarle County county schools, which is where I graduated from.

(Mods, hope we're not OT with the education issue. I see it as applicable to how JM's defense may play out regarding competency but of course redirect if necessary)

I don't even know which thread to put this in now because his competency/education is being discussed in two. But, anyway, in order to enroll at PVCC, he likely (read almost certainly) had to take and pass their own placement tests, so they could determine what level classes he needed to take. They do have remedial classes for those who aren't yet at a college level, however.

http://www.pvcc.edu/admission/placement-tests

My thought on her asking that question is, if you were the accused - particularly if falsely accused - wouldn't you want the best possible defense? I think, in all cases, the answer is yes.

That's why we have defense lawyers, to protect the constitutional rights of everyone involved. But that shouldn't mean a "win" is having an assault and battery conviction when charged with murder.

“Everybody is entitled to good representation,” said Camblos, who said he enjoys working as a defense lawyer. The nuances of defense work not visible to everyone intrigue him, he said. He said he believes if a client is accused of murder and is convicted of assault and battery, “I’ve won my casehttp://www.dailyprogress.com/news/l...cle_1870ae78-7bd6-11e3-b68b-001a4bcf6878.html
I would want the best defense, and I wpuld want that for everyone falsely accused, no doubt.

My main issue -and I know it is a personal, moral feeling as opposed to what is right in the legal system- is when a person is not innocent, and is guilty of rape and murder. I take issue with DAs who want to get rapists and murderers lesser sentences. How is that justice? That is using legal loopholes to make oneself look like a "lawyer worth the $$$" to criminals, IMO.
Better call Saul comes to mind.

I see the utmost value in DAs, I just don't like seeing them fight to get rapists and murderers less than what the justice system has planned. That's NOT justice, IMO, and that's a different kind of FAIL on our justice systems part.

SolVol: We also now have "Leave No Child Behind" and it means just that - everyone graduates, on time. No child is left behind. Doesn't mean they receive an adequate education, but they are not held back much less do they not graduate. There are "advanced studies" diplomas available in most Virginia public schools including MHS, from where he graduated. There is also a "modified standard diploma" for those with disabilities, but I don't think we have any evidence that he received one kind of diploma versus any other kind. There are also "standard (and advanced) technical diplomas," which he might have earned. http://www2.k12albemarle.org/Documents/High-School-Program-Guide-2009-10.pdf

Thanks for straightening me out ksj3 (and MJPeony too) - I need all the help I can get! So enjoy all your comments. ::cool:

Too, there is no evidence he was given money by any major healthcare facility that he then defaulted on such that they sued him. Why, in the first place, would they do such a thing?

The only thing that makes sense is that those suits and then garnishments were for his own personal unpaid medical bills. Unfortunately, because of HIPPA, we'll never know that at least until trial. But I think the thought that those suits/debts were anything else is a dead end. You're simply barking up the wrong tree with other thoughts.

Also, you still confuse Martha Jefferson HOUSE with Martha Jefferson HOSPITAL. Martha Jefferson HOUSE is a nonprofit retirement facility where he worked and from where his wages were garnished. Martha Jefferson HOSPITAL is a community hospital, which sued him. www.marthajeffersonhouse.org versus www.marthajefferson.org

Thanks for straightening me out, ksj3 (and MJPeony too) I need all the help I can get! ::cool:

I don't even know which thread to put this in now because his competency/education is being discussed in two. But, anyway, in order to enroll at PVCC, he likely (read almost certainly) had to take and pass their own placement tests, so they could determine what level classes he needed to take. They do have remedial classes for those who aren't yet at a college level, however.

http://www.pvcc.edu/admission/placement-tests

I'm sort of responding to two posts here, not just yours. But as far as the the GED thing is concerned....GED is an alternative to a HS diploma. If you graduate HS you do not need a GED. If you drop out or fail out, or leave early...you take the GED as the equivalent of your HS diploma.

JM applied and was accepted and enrolled in two separate baccalaureate program at 4 yr universities...he graduated from HS. He did not need a GED. He has a high school diploma.

So when he applies to Piedmont, they not only have his HS diploma, but his old college transfer records.

He would not have had to take any sort of entrance exam.

I'm sort of responding to two posts here, not just yours. But as far as the the GED thing is concerned....GED is an alternative to a HS diploma. If you graduate HS you do not need a GED. If you drop out or fail out, or leave early...you take the GED as the equivalent of your HS diploma.

JM applied and was accepted and enrolled in two separate bachelorette programs at 4 yr universities...he graduated from HS. He did not need a GED. He has a high school diploma.

So when he applies to Piedmont, they not only have his HS diploma, but his old college transfer records.

He would not have had to take any sort of entrance exam.

I know that you meant "bachelor" programs, but the irony of your use of the "bachelorette" was not lost on me!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...4cfea1e742d5_story.html?wpisrc=nl_buzz&wpmm=1

The man accused of abducting University of Virginia student Hannah Graham has been linked to a 2005 sexual assault in Fairfax County via DNA evidence collected from one of the victim’s fingernails, according to court records.

"The Virginia Department of Forensic Science’s comparison of DNA taken from Jesse L. Matthew, Jr. and the sample taken from the woman at the time of the attack concluded that there is a 1 in greater than 7.2 billion chance the DNA might belong to another person, according to the court records. Such a scientific finding, which eliminates almost the entire world population outside of Matthew, is likely to be central to the criminal case against him."

Do we go back to the definition of rape/penetration with an object? Seems the only DNA is under her fingernails.

The Virginia Department of Forensic Science’s comparison of DNA taken from Jesse L. Matthew, Jr. and the sample taken from the woman at the time of the attack concluded that there is a 1 in greater than 7.2 billion chance the DNA might belong to another person, according to the court records. Such a scientific finding, which eliminates almost the entire world population outside of Matthew, is likely to be central to the criminal case against him.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...efd010-65d9-11e4-bb14-4cfea1e742d5_story.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...4cfea1e742d5_story.html?wpisrc=nl_buzz&wpmm=1

The man accused of abducting University of Virginia student Hannah Graham has been linked to a 2005 sexual assault in Fairfax County via DNA evidence collected from one of the victim’s fingernails, according to court records.

"The Virginia Department of Forensic Science’s comparison of DNA taken from Jesse L. Matthew, Jr. and the sample taken from the woman at the time of the attack concluded that there is a 1 in greater than 7.2 billion chance the DNA might belong to another person, according to the court records. Such a scientific finding, which eliminates almost the entire world population outside of Matthew, is likely to be central to the criminal case against him."

Do we go back to the definition of rape/penetration with an object? Seems the only DNA is under her fingernails.
I just noticed you already posted this, sorry for the repost.

We already knew the DNA came from underneath her fingernails from previous news articles, but seeing it confirmed with a pretty much zero percent chance it could be anybody other than Jesse Matthew feels like hammering a nail in his coffin. Please, oh please tell me that the link to Morgan Harrington is more than just DNA on the shirt. Let there have been some DNA left under her fingernails or somewhere else on her body. (And no, I don't even want to start that debate again. Just expressing my hopes.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member