JLM Charged in 2005 Farifax Rape Case

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a reason to debate what the object was that he used to rape the Ffx victim? I'm not being snarky; I'm genuinely curious. We know LE has forensic evidence - enough to charge JM, so I don't see what difference it makes.

If we want to understand his MO, it is helpful to know. If, for example, he only used inanimate objects in his attacks, that is important while analyzing him and while looking into other cases that may be tied to him.

I find the difference between the early rape cases in 2002 and 2003, this case, and Morgan & Hannah's cases very telling. You can see the progression. In the 2003/2003 college cases, the women could identify him. With RG in the 2005 rape case, he seemed to be trying to attack a woman who specifically would not know him, who was not in his home area. He was just lurking, waiting, taking an opportunity as it came. He didn't have as much control of the victim or the environment as in the later cases. By the time he encountered Morgan and Hannah, I believe he had a pattern of targeting intoxicated women, and getting them to trust him enough to get in his car (a taxi in Morgan's case, a ride to her waiting friends in Hannah's case). Then he could take them where he wanted and do what he wanted, and afterward kill them so they couldn't identify him.

It's so chilling. Even the neighbor that apparently heard RG scream and called out & tried to investigate seems to have taught JM to go somewhere remote, to make sure nobody could hear his victim scream, so he would have time to make sure she was really dead and not just unconscious before leaving her. I get the feeling when he left RG to avoid being caught by the neighbor, he was hoping he had strangled her to death. Then when she survived, he was not happy about that mugshot that resulted from the RG rape and determined to never let another girl get away again. :-( Hence the change in MO -- getting them in his car and to a remote location. Also, hence the overkill in Morgan's case - I get the impression that after strangling her, he stomped her to death (*sorry to have to type this*).

Also...caseload. I don't see how one attorney could possibly do all that.
So he will turn down the one he can't possibly win.

It depends on whether or not the attorney is licensed to practice in that state (if it's in a different state), and it also depends on how far the jurisdiction is and how comfortable an attorney may be with the courthouse, judges, prosecutors. I know a couple attorneys that go all over northern VA and into central VA. We only practice in 3 jurisdictions but if we have a client with a serious enough charge in a jurisdiction local to us, we will take their case. I think, at the end of the day, it depends on the attorney themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohhh....that makes me nervous. I really don't want him out of that 6 x 9 cell.

And he doesn't have an attorney for that case. So now what?

I was thinking the exact same thing when I watched the press conference today. The guy said they would be able to transport him from district to district for trials and such, and I went "Aack!" I do not want him moving about.

Ohhh....that makes me nervous. I really don't want him out of that 6 x 9 cell.

And he doesn't have an attorney for that case. So now what?

He *might* have one that just hasn't been released publicly yet. If nothing comes out today, I'll check tomorrow.

I'm going to assume he's going to go with PD. I know *the* public defender and he's a damn good attorney. If JLM goes with PD's office, chances are it'll be the head PD and some of his best attorneys. But that's IMO and just an assumption on my part.

ETA: He was on the email list to all the attorneys whose clients were indicted on the 20th - so he may already have an attorney, because he was on that list...

Also...caseload. I don't see how one attorney could possibly do all that.
So he will turn down the one he can't possibly win.

LOL very true. The guy I know who covers like all of NOVA and some of F'burg/Stafford/etc etc is just starting out on his own so he takes it all.

He *might* have one that just hasn't been released publicly yet. If nothing comes out today, I'll check tomorrow.

I'm going to assume he's going to go with PD. I know *the* public defender and he's a damn good attorney. If JLM goes with PD's office, chances are it'll be the head PD and some of his best attorneys. But that's IMO and just an assumption on my part.

ETA: He was on the email list to all the attorneys whose clients were indicted on the 20th - so he may already have an attorney, because he was on that list...

Imo, no one would want to take the chance of him walking because his representation is inadequate. I hope he does have a good attorney.

I just posted this in another thread, but it made me realize something.

Our three-strikes rule may well be why they're going for the Fairfax rape charges first. They prove that, that's Strike 1. They prove Morgan, that's Strike 2. They prove Hannah, he's automatically got life without parole.

A. Any person convicted of two or more separate acts of violence when such offenses were not part of a common act, transaction or scheme, and who has been at liberty as defined in § 53.1-151 between each conviction, shall, upon conviction of a third or subsequent act of violence, be sentenced to life imprisonment and shall not have all or any portion of the sentence suspended, provided it is admitted, or found by the jury or judge before whom he is tried, that he has been previously convicted of two or more such acts of violence. For the purposes of this section, "act of violence" means (i) any one of the following violations of Chapter 4 (§ 18.2-30 et seq.) of Title 18.2:

C. Any person sentenced to life imprisonment pursuant to this section shall not be eligible for parole and shall not be eligible for any good conduct allowance or any earned sentence credits under Chapter 6 (§ 53.1-186 et seq.) of Title 53.1. However, any person subject to the provisions of this section, other than a person who was sentenced under subsection A of § 18.2-67.5:3 for criminal sexual assault convictions specified in subdivision f, (i) who has reached the age of sixty-five or older and who has served at least five years of the sentence imposed or (ii) who has reached the age of sixty or older and who has served at least ten years of the sentence imposed may petition the Parole Board for conditional release. The Parole Board shall promulgate regulations to implement the provisions of this subsection.

https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/leg...cod+19.2-297.1

Indicting him in the Fairfax case was probably very smart. They apparently have DNA evidence that is likely very solid. So, they can bring him to trial, safely, pretty quick. Going this route means they don't have to worry about rushing things in Harrington/Graham since he isn't going anywhere. He will have no way of demanding a quick and speedy trial since they can put off indictments as long as they need.

I just read where his lawyer is NOT going to defend him in Fairfax. Assuming he's working pro bono, I can see him not wanting to get involved in any more than necessary since this could turn into a major investment of time and energy.

Hello all! This particular case is unique in that this poor woman who was violated in Fairfax IS alive and she will probably have to ID him when he is moved down there for his sentencing. Having to see his face again knowing how he tormented her cannot be easy.

Who's going to be up early tomorrow to watch the transport to Fairfax?

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before, but does anyone know why JM was in Fairfax? School, job, family, etc.? I've never seen any link except the crime. I still think he did it, I just wonder if we know why he was there.

So true. I wonder if he knew the area well too. Guess we may never know for sure. I wonder if the Fairfax crime being interrupted prompted him to return to a familiar and less travelled area?

http://www.wtop.com/120/3727505/Man...e-linking-Harrington-murder-Fairfax-rape-case

'As he looked closer, Eichner noticed the black T-shirt had the word Pantera across the chest.

"It was just obviously spread out across the bush," says Eichner. "It was so nicely laid out."

Eichner was aware that police were looking for a Pantera T-shirt in connection with Harrington's disappearance...'

So JM laid it out HOPING someone would see it and turn it in to police? Did he subconsciously want to get caught? I guess he was just that arrogant and was taunting the police! That sure backfired for him!

I just posted this in another thread, but it made me realize something.

Our three-strikes rule may well be why they're going for the Fairfax rape charges first. They prove that, that's Strike 1. They prove Morgan, that's Strike 2. They prove Hannah, he's automatically got life without parole.

A. Any person convicted of two or more separate acts of violence when such offenses were not part of a common act, transaction or scheme, and who has been at liberty as defined in § 53.1-151 between each conviction, shall, upon conviction of a third or subsequent act of violence, be sentenced to life imprisonment and shall not have all or any portion of the sentence suspended, provided it is admitted, or found by the jury or judge before whom he is tried, that he has been previously convicted of two or more such acts of violence. For the purposes of this section, "act of violence" means (i) any one of the following violations of Chapter 4 (§ 18.2-30 et seq.) of Title 18.2:

C. Any person sentenced to life imprisonment pursuant to this section shall not be eligible for parole and shall not be eligible for any good conduct allowance or any earned sentence credits under Chapter 6 (§ 53.1-186 et seq.) of Title 53.1. However, any person subject to the provisions of this section, other than a person who was sentenced under subsection A of § 18.2-67.5:3 for criminal sexual assault convictions specified in subdivision f, (i) who has reached the age of sixty-five or older and who has served at least five years of the sentence imposed or (ii) who has reached the age of sixty or older and who has served at least ten years of the sentence imposed may petition the Parole Board for conditional release. The Parole Board shall promulgate regulations to implement the provisions of this subsection.

https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/leg...cod+19.2-297.1

Three strikes would not apply in this case because he will not have been "at liberty" between convictions as required by Va. 19.2-297.1. Three strikes is designed to catch the habitual offender who is tried, convicted, serves time, and after release commits another qualifying crime. Certainly he was "at liberty" in the general sense between commission of all 3 crimes, but he will not have been at liberty between conviction of all 3 crimes.

To the new members:

welcome-animation_zps5de9bd10.gif

No attorney listed for JLM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no point to his lawyer representing him for free in any cases besides Hannah's murder. The only trial that has the potential to be highly-publicized is that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anyclimate3010