JLM: Morgan Harrington/Fairfax Rape Victim - *Forensic Link* to MH

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, it's from Houston, but any comments on this recent article? I don't know who White is or who the "Rutherford Institute" is but are we onto another, larger question?

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/frie...cle_263fc206-0b3a-5588-a255-6df25653d2f1.html

no sorry this obviously has nothing to do with trafficking. Im not suggesting trafficking doesn't exist or isn't a problem. But with everything we have learn in the last week it has nothing to do with this case.

http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/l...cle_d85c612e-47f9-11e4-acca-001a4bcf6878.html

snips

She last was seen on mall surveillance video at about 1:08 a.m., and her last communication came in a text message sent from her phone just before 1:30 a.m., when the phone died.

They left about 15 minutes later and the man’s car was seen driving away.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/09/29/hannah-graham-suspect/16430383/

Her remains were found in a hayfield on a farm in Albemarle County three months after her disappearance. The forensic evidence was collected at the site where the body was found, state police said in a statement.

Whoa hold on there, MH case isn't solved, is it? There's a forensic link, which we aren't sure of what it is exactly, but it's not closed...

his DNA was found on her body according to sources within LE close to the case. Closed no solved yes

Hi raeann! To the best of my recollection the assault charge on the atty was in '09 (June?). The assault chgs were dropped April 22, 2010. (JM's atty called the victim and asked if he would drop the charges. He agreed if his medical bills were paid.) [*ASTRIDX*, could this connect to JW's wages being garnished at the retirement home where Morgan's Pantera shirt was found nearby?]

News of the Pantera shirt found connected to Morgan hit the press in Apr. '10. Don't quote me on this! :)
The press didn't know it was a match until April 2010, but the shirt was found in November by a UVa student.

I just tried seeing if JM had a nurses' aide license in VA by searching http://www2.vipnet.org/dhp/cgi-bin/search_publicdb.cgi, but the search for "matthew" came up with two names that were not him. If his name popped up, it would have shown the 1st time he would have been qualified to work as a caregiver.

Do you have a way to get online access to civil court documents within Albamarle county courts? If you had access to the civil records filed, which are public records, you would be able to look at the petition or complaint filed, which may have employment dates for MJH. In lots of jurisdictions you can access documents filed online, some for free and others for a fee. Brainstorming here with ya.

Thanks so much (brainstorming is my fave BTW)! I can get access to actual court records (not just the summaries available on the public VA judicial case search) if I call and jump through some hoops to get a user name and password. I may need to give them a good reason to be asking for the records though and I'm not sure "sleuthing" is going to work in my favor...

this is true but it is largely the FBI BAU's fault as they convinced local authorities they were looking from a white guy based on the, since debunked, idea that most serial killers are white. It wasn't until a company came forward with a technology that could determine race from DNA that this was questioned. Once they knew they were looking for a black guy they checked different cases and got a DNA match to a case where he was interrupted and there was a witness confirming that he was AA once they knew the killer was AA it didn't take long at all to figure out it was derrick todd lee (he had a long and violent particularly sexual violent rap sheet).

IMO the FBI BAU was developed at a time when there wasn't DNA to link lots of cases so it was thought serial killers were rarer than they are and the only ones who were know where a very specific type of serial killer which caused a lot of misconceptions about serial killers to be assumed (i.e. most of them are white, they only kill their own race, they are super intelligent, they follow the case in the media blah blah blah). In reality there behavior is much more varied.

Primarily agree, but white SKs definitely way outnumber black SKs. Whether that has to do with population size or not, I can't say.

As an aside, one thing I expect to see in the next 5-10 years is increased knowledge and study in couples that kidnap and/or kill.

This is just so incredible...had to put my tag here...off to catch up..son of a gun!

I just tried seeing if JM had a nurses' aide license in VA by searching http://www2.vipnet.org/dhp/cgi-bin/search_publicdb.cgi, but the search for "matthew" came up with two names that were not him. If his name popped up, it would have shown the 1st time he would have been qualified to work as a caregiver.

Do you have a way to get online access to civil court documents within Albamarle county courts? If you had access to the civil records filed, which are public records, you would be able to look at the petition or complaint filed, which may have employment dates for MJH. In lots of jurisdictions you can access documents filed online, some for free and others for a fee. Brainstorming here with ya.

BTW GREAT idea searching that way! Unfortunately we don't know what kind of position he held at MJH and if he was even a direct caregiver... he could have been a dishwasher for all we know... Why the mainstream media hasn't tried to piece together his employment history yet is such a mystery to me!

Quick question. How were they able to determine that Morgan had been raped?

I've been reading that JM was employed as a nursing assistant/nurse's aid. IMO, I think he was more or a transporter.

no sorry this obviously has nothing to do with trafficking. Im not suggesting trafficking doesn't exist or isn't a problem. But with everything we have learn in the last week it has nothing to do with this case.

The author of the article is John Whitehead of the Rutherford Institute. He is from Charlottesville and appears to be a professional associate of Coy Barefoot (who wrote the long story about JM's Friday evening. So the source is kind of odd.

Also, I recently discovered that Houston is one of the largest hubs for sex trafficking in the country.

I am not saying that I believe that MH and HG were victims of a sex trafficking ring; but I am not going to say it is impossible either.

Whoa hold on there, MH case isn't solved, is it? There's a forensic link, which we aren't sure of what it is exactly, but it's not closed...

Yes. Jesse is forensically linked to Morgan's murder. That's solved enough for me.

"Police confirmed Monday that forensic evidence links Matthew, a University of Virginia Hospital worker, to the disappearance and slaying of 20-year-old Morgan Harrington in October 2009. ...

Police spokeswoman Corinne Geller said Matthew's arrest "provided a significant break in this (Harrington) case with a new forensic link." The forensic evidence was not specified. ...

Police also announced Monday that they were investigating whether Matthew is the man behind the September 2005 abduction and rape of a 26-year-old woman in Fairfax City, outside Washington, D.C."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/09/29/hannah-graham-suspect/16430383/

Hi, indigoo. You are so right; none of these cases are "solved," legally, I guess, until after a confession, trial or otherwise closed. In that we are not sitting in a court of law, I am not too timid to say I believe all the signs are pointing enough in that direction for me to admit that I am convinced he is the murderer of MH and the reason HG is missing. Faith in LE, faith in the science of forensics and common logic are enough to assure me of my conviction. And you resist why?

Quick question. How were they able to determine that Morgan had been raped?

I believe presence of certain bodily fluids. Much of the state of her body when found is unknown to the public, including her COD.

Primarily agree, but white SKs definitely way outnumber black SKs. Whether that has to do with population size or not, I can't say.

As an aside, one thing I expect to see in the next 5-10 years is increased knowledge and study in couples that kidnap and/or kill.

It does have to do with populations size, last numbers I saw which was years ago AAs were over represented in the population of SKs. That is to say that the percentage of AA SKs is higher than the percentage of population that is AA although it was close.

This is specifically relevant in the derrick todd lee case because in baton rouge we don't have the typical population break down. Here its almost 50% white 50% black.

BTW GREAT idea searching that way! Unfortunately we don't know what kind of position he held at MJH and if he was even a direct caregiver... he could have been a dishwasher for all we know... Why the mainstream media hasn't tried to piece together his employment history yet is such a mystery to me!

I agree. There appears to be four years missing from JM's life, from mid-October 2003 (termination from CNU) to September 2007 (photo of him in front of Yellow Cab in The Hook). Doesn't appear to be any local information concerning him. I know he didn't disappear during that time but could he have possibly been in one of the areas mentioned by LE in the wanted poster - PA, MD or DC area during that time span?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member