JLM: Morgan Harrington/Fairfax Rape Victim - *Forensic Link* to MH

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Morgan was the first murder. There were four years between the 2005 assault and Morgan, and five between Morgan and Hannah. Morgan and Hannah were high profile because they came from good families, had promising futures, were students, and had families that made sure the word got out. I wonder if there are others that slipped between the cracks as "runaways".

I know what you mean.
I'm a bit on the fence, wondering if Morgan and Hannah, were his 'type'. Or, if there were others (as you speculate), and he developed this 'preference' over time.

Hi, indigoo. You are so right; none of these cases are "solved," legally, I guess, until after a confession, trial or otherwise closed. In that we are not sitting in a court of law, I am not too timid to say I believe all the signs are pointing enough in that direction for me to admit that I am convinced he is the murderer of MH and the reason HG is missing. Faith in LE, faith in the science of forensics and common logic are enough to assure me of my conviction. And you resist why?

Yes. Jesse is forensically linked to Morgan's murder. That's solved enough for me.

"Police confirmed Monday that forensic evidence links Matthew, a University of Virginia Hospital worker, to the disappearance and slaying of 20-year-old Morgan Harrington in October 2009. ...

Police spokeswoman Corinne Geller said Matthew's arrest "provided a significant break in this (Harrington) case with a new forensic link." The forensic evidence was not specified. ...

Police also announced Monday that they were investigating whether Matthew is the man behind the September 2005 abduction and rape of a 26-year-old woman in Fairfax City, outside Washington, D.C."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/09/29/hannah-graham-suspect/16430383/

I just thought I missed something with it being labeled solved. It's not, and I still haven't seen confirmation on it being specific DNA evidence. It would be fantastic to have confirmation. I had a feeling things were connected when I first saw pictures of the guy. Sketch looked enough like him to me.

Could someone post the date of the assault charge with the attorney....compared to the date Morgans shirt was found?

He didn't assault an attorney it was the attorney that represented him that the reporter call and questioned

If JM was on LE's radar screen for 12 years and they had DNA, why the heck didn't they get a cig butt or a drink glass and run DNA.

Is that illegal?

I have a question for some of the more experienced sleuthers who have experience with many cases. We now know LE has established a forensic link between JM and Morgan. And we know that JM was first accused of raping a woman at LU on October 17, the same date that, years later, Morgan disappeared. Do you think this means dates are important to him and we should be looking for date connections in other possible cases? Or is this likely a major coincidence?

The dates appear to have some relevance or significance... here is another similar coincidence regarding the dates:

In a statement today, Christopher Newport University officials confirmed Matthew attended the Newport News school from January 2003 to Oct. 15, 2003. He was also a member of the university's football team from Aug. 14 to Sept. 12, 2003.

"Students don't usually leave in the second month of the semester or leave the football team within a month," the CNU statement said

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/09/suspect-missing-uva-student-case-attended-cnu

Is that so? I didn't hear that it was DNA from her body/ If so, that's huge.

Yes, DNA was found on Morgan's body, and it was matched to the attempted rape in 2005. For some reason, people think that the Morgan's shirt was connected with the 2005 rape, but that is not true. I've posted the link a few times in the last few days ... will look for it again.

If JM was on LE's radar screen for 12 years and they had DNA, why the heck didn't they get a cig butt or a drink glass and run DNA.

Is that illegal?

My husband asked me the same question

I know what you mean.
I'm a bit on the fence, wondering if Morgan and Hannah, were his 'type'. Or, if there were others (as you speculate), and he developed this 'preference' over time.

y'all would know better than I, but does he have to have a 'type'? That is, beyond a young woman walking alone at night who somehow catches his attention?

Yes, DNA was found on Morgan's body, and it was matched to the attempted rape in 2005. For some reason, people think that the Morgan's shirt was connected with the 2005 rape, but that is not true. I've posted the link a few times in the last few days ... will look for it again.

I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Quick question. How were they able to determine that Morgan had been raped?

She had been in the field for four months, and was mostly bones, but there must have been some tissue left.

Jul 01, 2010

"Investigators will only say that forensic evidence ties the suspect to Morgan Harrington's abduction and murder in Charlottesville. But Harrington's parents confirmed this afternoon it was DNA found on Morgan that matches the suspect in the Fairfax case."

http://www.wlox.com/story/12742496/update-morgan-harringtons-death-linked-to-case-in-fairfax

The author of the article is John Whitehead of the Rutherford Institute. He is from Charlottesville and appears to be a professional associate of Coy Barefoot (who wrote the long story about JM's Friday evening. So the source is kind of odd.

Also, I recently discovered that Houston is one of the largest hubs for sex trafficking in the country.

I am not saying that I believe that MH and HG were victims of a sex trafficking ring; but I am not going to say it is impossible either.

i think it's clear he didn't intend to traffic the 2005 victim, also he clearly didn't intend to traffic MH, you're right as far as HG goes its not impossible but I don't know what grounds there are to suspect thats the case. I think Mr. Whitehead is just using her name to draw attention to his article. As I read the article he isn't even suggesting that HGs case is related to trafficking.

Was there as reason the cod wasn't released?

They have not given a reason, AFAIK. My guess would be either they don't know or they are keeping it under-wraps in case of a trial, maybe because it was so high profile.

Police haven't said the Harrington case is solved. They only said that Jesse Matthew came into "some kind" of contact with Morgan Harrington. Lots of work left to do. Have to put Jesse in Fairfax in 2005. Have to establish connection between Jesse and Anchorage Farm. Have to find the body of Hannah Graham. I'd put the cork back in the champagne bottle if I were you.

It's a huge relief to know that the Morgan Harrington murder is finally solved. I think it's fair to say that, per some statements at the time, she did indeed get into a taxi - she wasn't hitch-hiking. That must be a comfort to her parents ... to know that she didn't choose to put herself in a high risk environment with a potentially dangerous man.

I think we can set aside descriptions of Jesse as a simple minded Christian. The only reason that he was seen with Hannah on the night she vanished is because he was cocky after getting away with rape and murder for more than a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove