JLM: The Arrest

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Three Virginia investigators, including one from the state police, were in Texas examining a car that was seized when Matthew was taken into custody. He apparently used it to travel the nearly 1,300 miles from Charlottesville.

Trochesset said the Virginia investigators will seek to interview Matthew but that the suspect has declined to accept phone calls at the jail where he is being held. "He does not want to talk to anyone,'' Trochesset said.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/09/25/uva-missing-student-suspect-court/16208411/

Woman who spotted JLM on beach - http://abc13.com/324428/

"Then she says, "He hit the brakes, throwing up sand and looked at me. He leaned over the console and stared. It was frightening."

That's because in those few seconds, she made the connection between the man looking at her, and the face in the mugshot that has been circulating nationwide since Graham's disappearance."

But "Karen" also says that she resembles HG & honestly, I don't see it.

I haven't been posting about Hannah, but I have been definitely been closely following and watching the developments. All I can say is I am extremely happy that JM was found and arrested. Not to sound judgmental, but even just looking at his pics on the Daily Mail site, I can tell something is just 'not right' with this guy. I see evil in his eyes. I hope we are now closer to figuring out where Hannah is. It's time for her loved ones to have some answers.

I agree w/ this. Early on in the investigation when he was identified as the POI, many posters said he looked like a nice guy, didn't look creepy, looked normal, etc.. I absolutely disagree! He is terrifying looking, IMO, and I've thought so since the first day he was named. His is NOT the last face I'd like to see, that's for sure.

Will it be up to his sister to retrieve her vehicle if/when it is released by Texas and/or Virginia authorities? Assuming nothing is found in the car and it is able to be released to the rightful owner, will that be the owner's expense and effort?

He's in administrative segregation.

What is happening is that he is under medical observation in Administrative Segregation. He has no mattress and only a paper gown on without even underwear. He will most likely be in a cell alone beside a control room with a window so he can be observed. Every 15 minutes the control room officer or a hall officer has to make a notation on a log as to what the inmate is doing and noting his behavior. He will not be released from administrative segregation until and unless medical says they can.

The paper gown or suicide cover is probably why JLM is saying they (the jail) will take away his jumpsuit.

When he was booked in, his charges and Virginia warrant would enable the booking officer to do a cheek swab to capture his DNA. He would be booked on AFIS and electronically fingerprinted, etc.. After the booking process JLM would be taken into a shower, he would remove all of his clothing, shower, and be sprayed for lice and so forth. This is done to everyone; no exceptions. JLM is a high profile inmate and would almost automatically be placed in administrative segregation/medical (suicide) watch.

How do I know these things? I am an ex-Booking/Classification Lieutenant. I trained booking officers and also taught the DNA collection process to incoming/new officers. There is the Buccal Swab DNA Collection which is only swabbing the cheek area, and then there is Blood DNA Collection which is done when a state inmate is about to be released. Both types of DNA is sent to the state crime lab sealed with the red evidence tape. Both types are entered into Codis at the state crime lab.

MOO

Lots in the article, but some being discussed in the Liberty thread (JM's version of the story) and I put a bit in the general thread.

Matthew did not resist arrest, Galveston County Sheriff Henry Trochesset told reporters Thursday. The sheriff added that investigators from Virginia were examining a car and a tent found at Matthew's campsite and hoped to speak to Matthew later.

And I bet this is the false name he gave LE initially (George).

I wonder if he just picked it out of the air or if there's significance to why he chose it? And I wonder if he might use it in other contexts (like picking up girls perhaps)? :thinking:

"He seemed real nice. He was real soft spoken," Rodenberg said. "(He) said he was down here from New Jersey and was looking for a job. I told him if I caught another red fish he could have it."

Matthew told him that his name was George, Rodenberg said. Nothing really seemed out of the ordinary until the police showed up after a female caller reported a suspicious person.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/25/us/virginia-hannah-graham/?c=&page=0

I am so so so so glad that this got national coverage the way it did. If not, this woman wouldnt have recognized him.

I am so so so so glad that this got national coverage the way it did. If not, this woman wouldnt have recognized him.

Yup! :loveyou:

Who would have thought he was going there? Not LE it seems..wasn't one of the places listed as more likely destinations and they still have no clue why he went there.

If it has essentially stayed local, he'd still be on the loose.

If it stayed regional or targeted because of tie places, he'd still be on the loose.

And it really seems like next to know one would have imagined Texas being a possibility.

To be honest, I think part of what helped push this to 'blow up' more than many actually was the SSN thing many were upset about (though as I linked the other day, there are agencies who list them online for ALL their wanted people) actually was a decent size component of the quick escalation in this case, and also part of what I believe helped get it so widely disseminated as quickly as they did.

She didn't even interact with him for any length really (plus he was WAY out of context in a not very likely to think he truly could possibly be!

At least one store clerk interacted with him when he purchased things, the whole is the beach safe bit, and the park ranger where he hung out for a few hours and to whom he gave the false name. And it's likely there are more stops and thus interactions - like the Taco Bell possibility LE is trying to verify.

But none of those folks who even talked with him recognized him (though the ranger did once he saw him on tv and realized it was who he'd seen)

It was just the lady on the beach who could very easily not have been there. It was a spur of the moment type thing.

She deserves major kudos! :yourock:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back