JLM: What Do We Know About Him? - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you not have a rear-view mirror and then comply, this isn't side view, but rear-view?
Is that common, having it break off?

I had one pop off in my hand as I was adjusting it; I just went to dealer and they replaced it.

How do you not have a rear-view mirror and then comply, this isn't side view, but rear-view?
Is that common, having it break off?

Someone broke ours by smashing into it. I forgot what was happening.

That is odd. He's saying that no woman who knew JM would let him put his arm around her? I rather doubt that. I think he's 'just talking" .

I remember reading that quote and thinking that probably the women that knew him thought he was a creeper. . . and he knew if he did that to them they'd be like, get the F off!

I've known guys like that. They know better than to mess with women they know and instead always single out total strangers that are usually but not always drinking.

I'm not trying to be contentious, but seriously, if you could convict people based on crap handwriting and signatures, every single doctor I've ever had would be serving life federal prison.

There are people that analyze handwriting by how hard they press, the slant of the letters, etc.

It is interesting. Don't know how accurate.

It's not as if tons of info is pouring in to talk about

I had one pop off in my hand as I was adjusting it; I just went to dealer and they replaced it.

Me too! I also broke my husband's once when I was cleaning it- and LOL- I swear I'm not that strong! I think sometimes they can be a bit dinky.

Not sure if this has been posted yet or not.
http://www.c-ville.com/jail-witness...-search-hannah-graham-continues/#.VDXTvBZabk9

..."From about 3am until noon that day, the man said he could see Matthew through the glass-fronted doors of their cells.

“I was 30 feet away,” the man said. For a while, he could hear Matthew through a small opening in the cell door used for passing food to those locked up, talking to a jail staffer in a voice that was higher-pitched than expected. “He was pacing a lot, and he seemed to be only wearing a brown blanket around his waist. He was asking for a shower, and saying he hadn’t gotten one since he got here.”

The heavyset, dreadlocked Matthew was easily recognizable, he said, but any doubts that it was him disappeared when a county police officer struck up a conversation. “He mentioned in passing, ‘I just want to ask that guy where she is,’” the man said"

There are people that analyze handwriting by how hard they press, the slant of the letters, etc.

It is interesting. Don't know how accurate.

It's not as if tons of info is pouring in to talk about

Maybe I'm just defensive because I think my dog chewing up a pen has better handwriting than me. Half the time I can't even read my own writing, and I swear I have never killed anyone! (Though my dog has certainly killed a lot of pens. Also ink cartridges ;0) )

Maybe I'm just defensive because I think my dog chewing up a pen has better handwriting than me. Half the time I can't even read my own writing, and I swear I have never killed anyone! (Though my dog has certainly killed a lot of pens. Also ink cartridges ;0) )

No worries

There's a Pick3 ticket. Still counting on luck? You see a flash of it. 58 secs

http://www.click2houston.com/news/h...of-trek-from-va-to-bolivar-peninsula/28994136

If it had his DNA it wouldn't be there, I think.

Cannot help wondering if JM was a fan of the very popular t.v. show " Breaking Bad, " because if he did watch the show, it might be interesting to know the Pick3 numbers JM picked. jmo. fwiw.rbbm.

"On the one hand, it's extremely clever for Walt to hide the GPS coordinates of the buried treasure in a series of Pick-3 lottery numbers."
Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wa...bad-buried-geocaching-out#rimOKQy0JeeAwlOT.99

Cannot help wondering if JM was a fan of the very popular t.v. show " Breaking Bad, " because if he did watch the show, it might be interesting to know the Pick3 numbers JM picked. jmo. fwiw.rbbm.

"On the one hand, it's extremely clever for Walt to hide the GPS coordinates of the buried treasure in a series of Pick-3 lottery numbers."
Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wa...bad-buried-geocaching-out#rimOKQy0JeeAwlOT.99

I never watched that show.

What night was it on?

I wonder if he would have GPS ? I would think a cab company would provide it, but maybe he bought his own

I've always said I think a lot of not-so-bright sorts get help and maybe even inspiration from all the crime related tv shows. While I'm certainly not for censorship, you can't deny that in this day and age you don't need brain cells to pull off "the perfect crime": you just need to own a television.

Yes this is a long post, but It's nearly impossible to separate the train of thought into multiple posts on different "topics" as the entire train of thought and progression of logic is how I am now arriving at my own opinion of Jesse Matthew, how he came to be in the situation he is in, how he selected his victims, etc.

For those of use grappling with the feeling that Jesse Matthew doesn’t seem to fit the mold of most serial killers in terms of intelligence and trying to reconcile with how he could have flown under the radar for so long, here is my own analysis. I’ve spent a good bit of time reviewing the posts here, and have been following the case and all developments since this began. This is purely based on opinion and this is how I have made sense of the questions like Why? Why weren’t there warning sigsn that people recognized? Why did some girls come into contact with him without him offending? How could he have pulled this off, etc?
(Before I begin let it be known that in no way do I blame anyone but the perpetrator for his actions and in no way should any of my suggestions about his emotional fragility/state/history etc be interpreted as my making excuses for him. I am simply trying to reason out the psychology behind who he has become and why.)
First off, my theory is based on my assumption the Matthew ISN’T that intelligent and that of his 5 known or believed to be sexual crimes, the ’05 rape, the murder of Morgan Harrington, and the disappearance of Hannah Graham were all unplanned crimes of opportunity that reflect a disorganized perp who separates his offenses from what he defines as “himself” and who does not see himself as a “serial offender.”
When it first was announced that forensic evidence had tied Jesse Matthew to the Harrington case which was tied to a rape case in 2005 and we first became aware that he was expelled or dismissed from 2 separate colleges amidst rape allegations, my wheels began turning and I too asked how many times this man may have offended over the last decade. However, after reading so many personal accounts from people who have known him for some time and after thinking about the nature of his public behavior from various accounts, I began to suspect, as others have before me, that Jesse Matthew doesn’t seem smart enough to pull off multiple murders without being caught, and I arrived at the conclusion that he just isn’t.

I think Morgan Harrington is most likely the first person he killed and sadly but realistically, Hannah Graham is the second. An intelligent offender would exercise much more caution and calculation, IMO. An intelligent offender isn’t going to be seen at a bar with his victim in a small town where everyone knows everyone only to subsequently murder that individual. Now, let me understand the basis of my logic…which now stands at the fact that the act of murder wasn’t part of the gratification process which motivated his offending. It only became a part of the offense when he began to fear being caught and was something he saw as a necessity but not something that he drew pleasure from doing.
So without further adieu, IMO, this is how I'm starting to believe he evolved into what we now believe is a violent serial sexual offender and murderer.
Jesse grew up playing football and wrestling. Success in both sports relies heavily on physical ability, strength, and in many ways physical dominance of the opponent(s). He may have had a chip on his shoulder related to acceptance/rejection from women that relates to how he perceived his mother's role in his life. She did often rely on his grandmother to care for the children while she was working and perhaps in someway Jesse felt his mother didn't care enough or wasn't there enough, etc.

The voids he felt from his home life were (artificially) filled by the attention, success, etc bestowed upon him for his talent with wrestling and football. He was a prized member of those respective teams which gave him a sense of belonging and of feeling important AND those feelings filled a void so they became his reward and reinforcement for being so skilled at physical dominance of his opponent.

So he arrives at Liberty Univ. and in his 3rd yr, he is accused of raping a fellow student. The victim had been bruised and battered. He isn't charged but is kicked off the football team, loses his scholarship, and is dismissed from the university. He gets a second chance at CNU and similar accusations of rape arise during his short time there. This again leads to his being expelled/dismissed.
These are the 2 earliest known reports of sexual violence from Jesse. In both of these assaults, he was a member of the same community as the victims and likely hung out with members of a similar circle. For that reason, I think he told himself that it was “different. I think he allowed himself to believe that these women welcomed his sexual advances because at this point, he is early in the stages of developing into a sexual offender and he doesn’t yet see himself as someone who forces sex on a woman. I think he allows himself to read too far into even the simplest communication between himself and his first 2 victims and interprets their platonic communication and interaction as an invitation because he lacks a true understanding of normal social behavior. After the accusations come to light, I think he tells himself that these women were trying to sabotage him or get attention by accusing him of rape, but that the encounters were consensual at that time they took place. It’s also possible he misinterpreted harmless interactions between these women and himself as sexual advances from the women, idk.
In both situations he lost his opportunity to pursue his dream as a result of his actions. In both instances, he knew his victim or shared a common tie (school) with those victims. The cycle of blaming the victim for his “losses” and his perceptions that their accusations against him represented “rejection” would both be very important here. Now, he has basically lost that dream of football stardom because he has been kicked out of 2 schools. He is feeling defeated, rejected, and angry. He is at a crossroads, because now he has to reinvent himself in terms of who he will become, what he aspires to do, etc. He likely reflected on these 2 incidences frequently in the time immediately after, leading him to become more angry towards the accuser/victim as time went on and leading him to place increased blame on these 2 women the more he thought about how their allegations had tarnished his ability to achieve his dreams. Furthermore, the accusation of rape, implies the sexual interaction was unwanted on the part of the accuser which furthers his feelings of perceived rejection, and reinforces the developing pattern of blaming the victim for the problems he experiences as a result of his crimes.
So, now more than ever, he doesn’t see himself as being capable of normal, healthy sexual interaction with a woman. His fear of rejection and desire to avoid that feeling has him convinced that he must take what he wants rather than allowing a consensual sexual interaction with a woman to unfold. Furthermore, he is no longer a member of any college community, so his MO for selecting victims has to change anyway. Its an obvious time for him to see the advantage of targeting random, unsuspecting victims in order to obtain sexual gratification by physically dominating and overpowering someone (which is intrinsically rewarding to him). He is disorganized. He sees an opportunity with his rape victim who he attacked while she was walking home from the grocery in ’05. I don’t think he had necessarily “picked her out far in advance” but he sees her, his urges have been festering, plaguing him, and therefore they boil over. He assaults her but flees when he is startled by a passer-by.
We don’t know whether he would have subsequently murdered the ’05 victim and I don’t know that he was really thinking in terms of “what next,” or “after this, I’ll do this.” Up until this point, I think he had been very limited in terms the extent to which he was calculating.
However, the ’05 victim did provide a description (which at the time wasn’t too far off from how Jesse looked) and she also became a threat because his DNA was taken from her retained for evidence. Now he isn’t facing university police and potential expulsion (I think he felt less threatened with legal consequences/jail time when it came to the first 2 offenses), he is facing a municipal/county police force which presents the possibility of jail time, public embarrassment, etc if he is caught. So, regardless of whether he intended to silence his ’05 victim, its reasonable to think that he remains fearful for sometime afterwards that this may come back to haunt him. It could also be a reason for him to lay low for a while out of fear.
Now to his next know victim, Morgan Harrington. I think Jesse has had some “time off” before he reoffends with Morgan, whether it was him intentionally refraining from offending or he was now becoming more calculating and selective since there was a looming threat of being caught. I think prowling in the later hours of the evening/night present less risk in his mind for obvious reasons. So Morgan is a turning point for him, but again, IMO he is disorganized and I don’t think he started off telling himself he was going to kill Morgan though I suspect the possibility that this may be what he would “have to do” may have crossed his mind. I think he picked her up and was initially being the funny guy, being nice to her, and hoping she may take interest in his advances. I think he was reading her and trying to evaluate her opinion of him and level of comfort with him. At some point he decides he is going to make a move and its entirely possible that this was done with the hopes of her accepting his advances. When he transformed from the platonic funny guy helping her out of a bind and presented his sexual intentions, this caught Morgan off guard. She tried to reject his advances which only inspired him to become more forceful and aggressive and in turn made her more upset which likely angered him because she was putting him at more risk of being caught and at the same time she is also perpetuating the feelings of rejection he has had in the past. Now I think his anger is dictating his behavior, leading him to become increasingly violent and causing the situation to snowball out of control. I think his use of force against her and the anger fueled violence inflicted in an effort to subdue Morgan reached a point where he then felt he had gone too far to let her go. She was now a major threat to him, and this is the moment where he decided to kill her to prevent her from going to the police and “wrecking his life as his past victims had done.”
I don’t think the events with Morgan began with Jesse having already decided to murder her. I think that in the time following this offense he is extremely fearful of being exposed, likely more suspicious of everyone around him, and probably also shocked at his own actions and what transpired. I do think he reassured himself by telling himself he did what he had to do and that the negative reinforcement he felt from Morgan i.e. her rejection of his advances and her fighting back is what he began using to justify his actions in his own mind. But again, I think here, he is experiencing inner turmoil. He is disgusted with himself and at the same time trying to tell himself he did what he had to do.
3 months after he kills her, Morgan’s body is discovered. During the time leading up to the discovery of her body he was probably going through a guilt and remorse cycle where he actively denies that this dark side of him exists. With the discovery of her body, he is wondering if he will be able to escape detection. His fear has escalated and he’s angry with himself for not better thinking out what he did with her body, because again, he is disorganized. He is likely somewhat withdrawn because he is overwhelmed by what’s going through his head and unable to pretend everything is honky-dory to maintain his public persona, especially because I think until Morgan, he hadn’t ever truly envisioned himself as a killer nor to I think that the killing was part of the sexual gratification or reward he derived from offending. I think this is where people are struggling because often, with a sexually violent serial killer, the murder is part of the gratification process for the offender. I don’t think this was the case with Jesse. I think he killed out of fear but felt guilty about it (whether or not he really admitted to himself that is was wrong is a different story- but again here- h is feeling inner turmoil over this). He hadn’t planned this, and so once she was dead he was probably a little panicked, fearful and uncertain about his next step. He probably had a lot of back and forth going on in his head trying to balance the disposal of her body in a rural area against how long he was willing to ride around with her in his car looking for the right place and risking being caught in the act.
So he is now laying low again because he is afraid. A few months later, the DNA collected from Morgans body and now the offender has been tied to the ’05 case by DNA and a sketch has been released. A friend joking/casually mentioned to Jesse that he resembles the man shown in the sketch and not long after, he undergoes dramatic changes in his appearance. I think the weight gain is the biggest impacting factor (which was probably easy to achieve because I think he was depressed during this time) and he also has a girlfriend for a good bit of the time between Morgan and Hannah. I think he is so terrified of being caught that he keeps a low profile and refrains from offending which is easier for him because he has a girlfriend so he has some outlet for his sexual desires and he is also trying to establish some sense of normalcy in his life, trying to separate himself from the offenses he has committed in the past, maybe even as a way to forgive himself.
When he and his girlfriend broke up, which occurred sometime in the months before Hannah was abducted, he tried initially tried to continue life as his “new self.” He went out to bars, tried engaging with women in a public/social setting, and at least on the night of Hannah’s disappearance, we know his attempts to engage with several women were met with rejection from those women, because he fails to understand boundaries and social norms. Those rejected advances may have kind of ignited the old feelings of anger that he associated with rejection. Still, I think when Jesse first circled back around to come in contact with Hannah, he was not necessarily planning to assault and kill her. I think he knew she was vulnerable and was hoping he could befriend her, that she would let her guard down and that he could have sex with her. I am sure somewhere in his mind he was aware that things had the potential to go wrong like they did with Morgan, but I think his initial intention was the sex and that alone drove his pursuit. When and where he began to make sexual advances towards Hannah we don’t know but I think the events unfolded much like what I believe happened with Morgan and I think again, her rejection of his advances fueled his increased use of violence and force until again he had gone too far and once again found himself faced with having to silence her to protect himself. I think the big difference with Hannah was that he was likely more calculating with regard to what he did after the fact. I think here, after silencing her in an effort to protect himself, he also put more thought into what he did with her body, because he wasn’t going to put himself at increased risk of being discovered by letting her body be found.
With regard to what Jesse did with Hannah, I think there are 2 equally plausible possibilities which should to some extent have different means of being traced:
1. He drove far far away from Charlottesville in search of a dump site- (possibly deep into one of the nearby national parks or forests) If this is the case, these should be a trail from gas station cameras or business cameras along any of the possible routes and I would also think they should be able to subpoena his phone records to see where he was pinging- though I realize that will only give general areas not exact locations.
2. He disposed of her into a body of water. My assumption is that if he did this, it may have not been too far out thought its always possible he drove far off to find a body of water. Its very possible he would have bought “supplies” for the disposal if he did in fact put her into water (weights, ropes, etc) so in this case, I think that it would be useful to check his purchase history on any debit/credit cards or look for receipts and paper trail giving more insight into what he did.
I am sure police he thought about all of these possibilities and I would hope that by now, they have been looking at his credit card records and phone records. My only fear is that without know which direction he went in with Hannah, many members of the public (store owners, gas station attendants, etc) may not have saved video surveillance if they thought they were located too far out from Charlottesville to have anything relevant.
Finally, I find myself wondering whether authorities are basing the 8 mile search radius solely off of what experts think is most likely or whether they have cell phone data, eyewitness accounts not disclosed to the public, etc. Given that Morgan Harrington’s remains were found almost 10 miles from the area where it is believed she first encountered her abductor, I keep wondering what he would’ve been thinking with regard to Hannah, and based on my interpretation and analysis of JM and my opinion that he was disorganized and motivated by fear to kill, I believe he likely went beyond that radius this time to decrease the odds of her remains being discovered. He knows the area so well and IMO, he probably panicked and selected a route out of the immediate vicinity/Albermarle Co where he felt there would be few others on the road and where he felt he was into rural territory pretty quickly.

Can I just ask (am not flaming anyone) why certain posters are so sure he is innocent?

Yes this is a long post, but It's nearly impossible to separate the train of thought into multiple posts on different "topics" as the entire train of thought and progression of logic is how I am now arriving at my own opinion of Jesse Matthew, how he came to be in the situation he is in, how he selected his victims, etc.

For those of use grappling with the feeling that Jesse Matthew doesn’t seem to fit the mold of most serial killers in terms of intelligence and trying to reconcile with how he could have flown under the radar for so long, here is my own analysis. I’ve spent a good bit of time reviewing the posts here, and have been following the case and all developments since this began. This is purely based on opinion and this is how I have made sense of the questions like Why? Why weren’t there warning sigsn that people recognized? Why did some girls come into contact with him without him offending? How could he have pulled this off, etc?
(Before I begin let it be known that in no way do I blame anyone but the perpetrator for his actions and in no way should any of my suggestions about his emotional fragility/state/history etc be interpreted as my making excuses for him. I am simply trying to reason out the psychology behind who he has become and why.)
First off, my theory is based on my assumption the Matthew ISN’T that intelligent and that of his 5 known or believed to be sexual crimes, the ’05 rape, the murder of Morgan Harrington, and the disappearance of Hannah Graham were all unplanned crimes of opportunity that reflect a disorganized perp who separates his offenses from what he defines as “himself” and who does not see himself as a “serial offender.”
When it first was announced that forensic evidence had tied Jesse Matthew to the Harrington case which was tied to a rape case in 2005 and we first became aware that he was expelled or dismissed from 2 separate colleges amidst rape allegations, my wheels began turning and I too asked how many times this man may have offended over the last decade. However, after reading so many personal accounts from people who have known him for some time and after thinking about the nature of his public behavior from various accounts, I began to suspect, as others have before me, that Jesse Matthew doesn’t seem smart enough to pull off multiple murders without being caught, and I arrived at the conclusion that he just isn’t.

I think Morgan Harrington is most likely the first person he killed and sadly but realistically, Hannah Graham is the second. An intelligent offender would exercise much more caution and calculation, IMO. An intelligent offender isn’t going to be seen at a bar with his victim in a small town where everyone knows everyone only to subsequently murder that individual. Now, let me understand the basis of my logic…which now stands at the fact that the act of murder wasn’t part of the gratification process which motivated his offending. It only became a part of the offense when he began to fear being caught and was something he saw as a necessity but not something that he drew pleasure from doing.
So without further adieu, IMO, this is how I'm starting to believe he evolved into what we now believe is a violent serial sexual offender and murderer.
Jesse grew up playing football and wrestling. Success in both sports relies heavily on physical ability, strength, and in many ways physical dominance of the opponent(s). He may have had a chip on his shoulder related to acceptance/rejection from women that relates to how he perceived his mother's role in his life. She did often rely on his grandmother to care for the children while she was working and perhaps in someway Jesse felt his mother didn't care enough or wasn't there enough, etc.

The voids he felt from his home life were (artificially) filled by the attention, success, etc bestowed upon him for his talent with wrestling and football. He was a prized member of those respective teams which gave him a sense of belonging and of feeling important AND those feelings filled a void so they became his reward and reinforcement for being so skilled at physical dominance of his opponent.

So he arrives at Liberty Univ. and in his 3rd yr, he is accused of raping a fellow student. The victim had been bruised and battered. He isn't charged but is kicked off the football team, loses his scholarship, and is dismissed from the university. He gets a second chance at CNU and similar accusations of rape arise during his short time there. This again leads to his being expelled/dismissed.
These are the 2 earliest known reports of sexual violence from Jesse. In both of these assaults, he was a member of the same community as the victims and likely hung out with members of a similar circle. For that reason, I think he told himself that it was “different. I think he allowed himself to believe that these women welcomed his sexual advances because at this point, he is early in the stages of developing into a sexual offender and he doesn’t yet see himself as someone who forces sex on a woman. I think he allows himself to read too far into even the simplest communication between himself and his first 2 victims and interprets their platonic communication and interaction as an invitation because he lacks a true understanding of normal social behavior. After the accusations come to light, I think he tells himself that these women were trying to sabotage him or get attention by accusing him of rape, but that the encounters were consensual at that time they took place. It’s also possible he misinterpreted harmless interactions between these women and himself as sexual advances from the women, idk.
In both situations he lost his opportunity to pursue his dream as a result of his actions. In both instances, he knew his victim or shared a common tie (school) with those victims. The cycle of blaming the victim for his “losses” and his perceptions that their accusations against him represented “rejection” would both be very important here. Now, he has basically lost that dream of football stardom because he has been kicked out of 2 schools. He is feeling defeated, rejected, and angry. He is at a crossroads, because now he has to reinvent himself in terms of who he will become, what he aspires to do, etc. He likely reflected on these 2 incidences frequently in the time immediately after, leading him to become more angry towards the accuser/victim as time went on and leading him to place increased blame on these 2 women the more he thought about how their allegations had tarnished his ability to achieve his dreams. Furthermore, the accusation of rape, implies the sexual interaction was unwanted on the part of the accuser which furthers his feelings of perceived rejection, and reinforces the developing pattern of blaming the victim for the problems he experiences as a result of his crimes.
So, now more than ever, he doesn’t see himself as being capable of normal, healthy sexual interaction with a woman. His fear of rejection and desire to avoid that feeling has him convinced that he must take what he wants rather than allowing a consensual sexual interaction with a woman to unfold. Furthermore, he is no longer a member of any college community, so his MO for selecting victims has to change anyway. Its an obvious time for him to see the advantage of targeting random, unsuspecting victims in order to obtain sexual gratification by physically dominating and overpowering someone (which is intrinsically rewarding to him). He is disorganized. He sees an opportunity with his rape victim who he attacked while she was walking home from the grocery in ’05. I don’t think he had necessarily “picked her out far in advance” but he sees her, his urges have been festering, plaguing him, and therefore they boil over. He assaults her but flees when he is startled by a passer-by.
We don’t know whether he would have subsequently murdered the ’05 victim and I don’t know that he was really thinking in terms of “what next,” or “after this, I’ll do this.” Up until this point, I think he had been very limited in terms the extent to which he was calculating.
However, the ’05 victim did provide a description (which at the time wasn’t too far off from how Jesse looked) and she also became a threat because his DNA was taken from her retained for evidence. Now he isn’t facing university police and potential expulsion (I think he felt less threatened with legal consequences/jail time when it came to the first 2 offenses), he is facing a municipal/county police force which presents the possibility of jail time, public embarrassment, etc if he is caught. So, regardless of whether he intended to silence his ’05 victim, its reasonable to think that he remains fearful for sometime afterwards that this may come back to haunt him. It could also be a reason for him to lay low for a while out of fear.
Now to his next know victim, Morgan Harrington. I think Jesse has had some “time off” before he reoffends with Morgan, whether it was him intentionally refraining from offending or he was now becoming more calculating and selective since there was a looming threat of being caught. I think prowling in the later hours of the evening/night present less risk in his mind for obvious reasons. So Morgan is a turning point for him, but again, IMO he is disorganized and I don’t think he started off telling himself he was going to kill Morgan though I suspect the possibility that this may be what he would “have to do” may have crossed his mind. I think he picked her up and was initially being the funny guy, being nice to her, and hoping she may take interest in his advances. I think he was reading her and trying to evaluate her opinion of him and level of comfort with him. At some point he decides he is going to make a move and its entirely possible that this was done with the hopes of her accepting his advances. When he transformed from the platonic funny guy helping her out of a bind and presented his sexual intentions, this caught Morgan off guard. She tried to reject his advances which only inspired him to become more forceful and aggressive and in turn made her more upset which likely angered him because she was putting him at more risk of being caught and at the same time she is also perpetuating the feelings of rejection he has had in the past. Now I think his anger is dictating his behavior, leading him to become increasingly violent and causing the situation to snowball out of control. I think his use of force against her and the anger fueled violence inflicted in an effort to subdue Morgan reached a point where he then felt he had gone too far to let her go. She was now a major threat to him, and this is the moment where he decided to kill her to prevent her from going to the police and “wrecking his life as his past victims had done.”
I don’t think the events with Morgan began with Jesse having already decided to murder her. I think that in the time following this offense he is extremely fearful of being exposed, likely more suspicious of everyone around him, and probably also shocked at his own actions and what transpired. I do think he reassured himself by telling himself he did what he had to do and that the negative reinforcement he felt from Morgan i.e. her rejection of his advances and her fighting back is what he began using to justify his actions in his own mind. But again, I think here, he is experiencing inner turmoil. He is disgusted with himself and at the same time trying to tell himself he did what he had to do.
3 months after he kills her, Morgan’s body is discovered. During the time leading up to the discovery of her body he was probably going through a guilt and remorse cycle where he actively denies that this dark side of him exists. With the discovery of her body, he is wondering if he will be able to escape detection. His fear has escalated and he’s angry with himself for not better thinking out what he did with her body, because again, he is disorganized. He is likely somewhat withdrawn because he is overwhelmed by what’s going through his head and unable to pretend everything is honky-dory to maintain his public persona, especially because I think until Morgan, he hadn’t ever truly envisioned himself as a killer nor to I think that the killing was part of the sexual gratification or reward he derived from offending. I think this is where people are struggling because often, with a sexually violent serial killer, the murder is part of the gratification process for the offender. I don’t think this was the case with Jesse. I think he killed out of fear but felt guilty about it (whether or not he really admitted to himself that is was wrong is a different story- but again here- h is feeling inner turmoil over this). He hadn’t planned this, and so once she was dead he was probably a little panicked, fearful and uncertain about his next step. He probably had a lot of back and forth going on in his head trying to balance the disposal of her body in a rural area against how long he was willing to ride around with her in his car looking for the right place and risking being caught in the act.
So he is now laying low again because he is afraid. A few months later, the DNA collected from Morgans body and now the offender has been tied to the ’05 case by DNA and a sketch has been released. A friend joking/casually mentioned to Jesse that he resembles the man shown in the sketch and not long after, he undergoes dramatic changes in his appearance. I think the weight gain is the biggest impacting factor (which was probably easy to achieve because I think he was depressed during this time) and he also has a girlfriend for a good bit of the time between Morgan and Hannah. I think he is so terrified of being caught that he keeps a low profile and refrains from offending which is easier for him because he has a girlfriend so he has some outlet for his sexual desires and he is also trying to establish some sense of normalcy in his life, trying to separate himself from the offenses he has committed in the past, maybe even as a way to forgive himself.
When he and his girlfriend broke up, which occurred sometime in the months before Hannah was abducted, he tried initially tried to continue life as his “new self.” He went out to bars, tried engaging with women in a public/social setting, and at least on the night of Hannah’s disappearance, we know his attempts to engage with several women were met with rejection from those women, because he fails to understand boundaries and social norms. Those rejected advances may have kind of ignited the old feelings of anger that he associated with rejection. Still, I think when Jesse first circled back around to come in contact with Hannah, he was not necessarily planning to assault and kill her. I think he knew she was vulnerable and was hoping he could befriend her, that she would let her guard down and that he could have sex with her. I am sure somewhere in his mind he was aware that things had the potential to go wrong like they did with Morgan, but I think his initial intention was the sex and that alone drove his pursuit. When and where he began to make sexual advances towards Hannah we don’t know but I think the events unfolded much like what I believe happened with Morgan and I think again, her rejection of his advances fueled his increased use of violence and force until again he had gone too far and once again found himself faced with having to silence her to protect himself. I think the big difference with Hannah was that he was likely more calculating with regard to what he did after the fact. I think here, after silencing her in an effort to protect himself, he also put more thought into what he did with her body, because he wasn’t going to put himself at increased risk of being discovered by letting her body be found.
With regard to what Jesse did with Hannah, I think there are 2 equally plausible possibilities which should to some extent have different means of being traced:
1. He drove far far away from Charlottesville in search of a dump site- (possibly deep into one of the nearby national parks or forests) If this is the case, these should be a trail from gas station cameras or business cameras along any of the possible routes and I would also think they should be able to subpoena his phone records to see where he was pinging- though I realize that will only give general areas not exact locations.
2. He disposed of her into a body of water. My assumption is that if he did this, it may have not been too far out thought its always possible he drove far off to find a body of water. Its very possible he would have bought “supplies” for the disposal if he did in fact put her into water (weights, ropes, etc) so in this case, I think that it would be useful to check his purchase history on any debit/credit cards or look for receipts and paper trail giving more insight into what he did.
I am sure police he thought about all of these possibilities and I would hope that by now, they have been looking at his credit card records and phone records. My only fear is that without know which direction he went in with Hannah, many members of the public (store owners, gas station attendants, etc) may not have saved video surveillance if they thought they were located too far out from Charlottesville to have anything relevant.
Finally, I find myself wondering whether authorities are basing the 8 mile search radius solely off of what experts think is most likely or whether they have cell phone data, eyewitness accounts not disclosed to the public, etc. Given that Morgan Harrington’s remains were found almost 10 miles from the area where it is believed she first encountered her abductor, I keep wondering what he would’ve been thinking with regard to Hannah, and based on my interpretation and analysis of JM and my opinion that he was disorganized and motivated by fear to kill, I believe he likely went beyond that radius this time to decrease the odds of her remains being discovered. He knows the area so well and IMO, he probably panicked and selected a route out of the immediate vicinity/Albermarle Co where he felt there would be few others on the road and where he felt he was into rural territory pretty quickly.

You just completely got inside my mind. Your speculation was extremely well though out and based solely on the facts of this case and JM's history. Well done, sir or ma'am. You just said everything I've been thinking in my head but couldn't put into words.

AL18wood---

Excellemt analysis.

I originally felt that way about the perp, but his cool laid back manner after the fact leads me to believe that he is a caculating killer.

And how does having MH's shirt fit into this?

He is too nonchalant for me

For those of us grappling with the feeling that Jesse Matthew doesn’t seem to fit the mold of most serial killers in terms of intelligence and trying to reconcile with how he could have flown under the radar for so long, here is my own analysis..........He knows the area so well and IMO, he probably panicked and selected a route out of the immediate vicinity/Albermarle Co where he felt there would be few others on the road and where he felt he was into rural territory pretty quickly.
(respectfully snipped for space)

Holy smokes Batman! That was one long post! :D But well done. I think you've given an excellent theory and a believable look inside JM's mind.

Many many points I agree with. Particularly that I don't think he began each encounter with the express intent to kill his victims, but that the violent dominance was the motivating factor which turned into murder by his perceived necessity (if he's guilty). Also, I agree that I think he has wrestled with his hidden self and has been caught in his own web of dissonant desires: To be rageful and violent, and also to be free from his demons- creating a disorganized methodology. And finally, a big agreement is in what I too believe to be a motivating factor of physical domination (wrestling/football), and historical rejection by women.

Anyway, great post and thank you for sharing your thoughts. :welcome5:

I think he has most likely been involved with crimes totally unknown to us.

Unlike TV, many things go unreported and a staggering amount go unsolved. I think the odds are criminals don't get caught the first time they commit a crime.

Thank you. You've really thought this through. There were some reports about his violence in HS, posted by those who knew him in online threads, granted, not verified, but comparatively credible. One mentions that he was kicked off the cheer leading team, his first choice of extra-curricular activity, for groping. He then went on to play football and wrestling. The coach of the cheer leading team, this person who posted their recollections said, their coach would have none of it. Another mother counted her blessing for not getting in his taxi, when he'd pulled up once when she needed a ride. She had gone to the school to complain about JM giving her son a black eye when he was younger. She wondered like you, if he would've been able to control himself against her. She had the right instincts based on her experience with him and the right reaction, but by chance, as you would have it.

Great post! Much of what jamicat has said over time as well. Thank you!

He choked the Fairfax lady to unconsciousness. I do believe he intended to kill her. Granted at this point I do believe he realized that a living witness could cause him problems. We don't know how many others may have been raped or assaulted by him that weren't reported.

He also attended another college, I want to say it was a community college. It was in a link here somewhere! We don't know why he left that college, whether he couldn't make the grades, couldn't pay the tuition, or what happened.

When I first watched the video from the Texas jail, I thought there was some mental deficits. I'm not so sure I believe that now. Anyone recall what his majors were in each college? Wasn't one psychology?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member