JLM: What Do We Know About Him? - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're being attacked by others, it is for that reason.

No one on this forum should be or feel attacked. I am behind on posts, but if there are any posts attacking Spicer or anyone for that matter, someone please alert a mod.

Thanks so much Paulap for your insight. It's very interesting to see the point from an insiders view, thanks again and keep us posted :)

Who knows if the USA Today article is true, but I rolled my eyes when I read about all of the cheesy quotes plastered on his walls. Perhaps I'm jaded, but this quote culture that seems to permeate social media is so vacant. In fact I think the opposite of people, especially guys, when they are surrounded by these quotes, tweet them, or post them online. To those who don't see through it like I do, I will say it sure does help disguise a person's dark side.

I found this nugget of information, if true, very insightful- especially as it relates to character and how you want others to perceive you. JMO

What stands out for me is that LJ was a follower, not a leader. If you gave him something to do (a play in football, for instance), he would do it...but he wouldn't be the one to come up with that play on his own. He needed someone else to help him find direction in his life, whether that was a coach or a friend, and he would be absolutely devoted to that person. While there's no evidence to suggest otherwise right now, I would not be surprised if there's more than one individual involved here (caveating that with: that is absolutely JMO).

[Emphasis added for focus.]

I'm curious about possible accomplices, too. Several things seem to point toward this being at least a possibility — for ex., RAT's attorney mtg w/JLM's att'y Camblos; the long rap sheet of JLM's former (now MIA) boss at the (in retrospect creepily named) Access Taxi; JLM's possible drug dealing as sideline business to supplement his meager earnings and fund his nightlife....

I'd never heard of Dean Corll until JLM was found on Bolivar Peninsula — apparently he was a notorious SK who had buried bodies there in the 70s. I wish I could unread what I found out about the "Candy Man." It stood out that he worked with 2 accomplices — I'd always thought SKs acted alone. DC was very much into "partying" and torturing (as well as raping and killing) his victims. Both MH and the Fairfax victim were severely beaten / brutalized according to LE. I hope this case doesn't wind up being in any way similar.

As someone who received threats against me and my family for publicly saying how I remembered LJ to be a kind, gentle person --

I'm sorry, Spicer. That is just horrid that people would do that. Thanks for being willing to move beyond that and risk your neck to come here and further the discussion. That takes a real person, IMO. Thank you.

JM could have also been a wolf in sheep clothing! Personality disorder? (No, I have never broken the law but I do have personality disorders, you can have a really split personality depending on who you are talking to.) We have no idea about his mental state!

Spicer I am truly sorry you have received threats, that is completely unfair and should be reported to LE.

Who knows if the USA Today article is true, but I rolled my eyes when I read about all of the cheesy quotes plastered on his walls. Perhaps I'm jaded, but this quote culture that seems to permeate social media is so vacant. In fact I think the opposite of people, especially guys, when they are surrounded by these quotes, tweet them, or post them online. To those who don't see through it like I do, I will say it sure does help disguise a person's dark side.

I found this nugget of information, if true, very insightful- especially as it relates to character and how you want others to perceive you. JMO

You know, I wonder if those weren't the GF's touch. Those are an inexpensive way to decorate, and provide motivational/uplifting quotes for folks who are not as fortunate as others. Completely IMO.

Since it has been mentioned that JM was not the best student and that his tutor thought he was performing at a much lower level than the college material he was studying, my guess is that he may be dyslexic. That is not to say he isn't smart in his own way though.

That got me thinking about the correlation between dyslexia and rape. I found some studies that do substantiate this. I searched "dyslexia and rape" if any of you would care to see the information on it.

The idea is that they are sweet nice friendly people who have struggled with failure and humiliation as children. As they get older the way they approach women in their nice mode is sometimes not returned. All the humiliation and hurt they felt all those years bubbles up to the surface and they act out, a quick temper, which may make the woman scared. They then feel power over someone, maybe for the first time. They can escalate their behavior quickly and go from abuse to rape to killing, getting their pleasure from inflicting hurt that was inflicted on them as children with their new found feeling of power.

There is also the potential to change this behavior from ever happening if they are identified as dyslexic at an early age and shown other ways to learn in an environment that is nurturing as opposed to ridicule from teachers and the humiliation from other students, which may have been the norm many years ago. I know I have seen this happen in classes I was in.

Just trying to understand what would provoke someone as nice as people claim JM to be to possibly go from one extreme to the other. I don't believe that so many people are born evil. They either learn it or have been in circumstances they were not prepared to handle and their brain's defense mechanism takes over in horrible ways.

I found it interesting that once the investigation progressed his pastor stopped giving interviews. I recall a reporter standing outside the church, or congregation hall, stating, there was a record of him signing up, then nothing about the pastor, nothing about him attending, nothing else. His name in register was all that was left to the story with the pastor. I took that to mean he was not a regular attendee or they would have said so and the pastor, who was reported to give a reference to the hospital, said no more.

IIRC, the pastor said he'd had a meal w/JLM right around the time Hannah went missing, and that one shouldn't rush to judgement. He may know his family / friends and wants to protect them, too. I wonder if JLM was in any way truly religious or if he just went along with it for family, community, etc., reasons (as so many people do, w/o really thinking.)

You know, I wonder if those weren't the GF's touch. Those are an inexpensive way to decorate, and provide motivational/uplifting quotes for folks who are not as fortunate as others. Completely IMO.

Yes — or perhaps his sister's (or mother or gma's) influence / gift to provide encouragement.

New article with things I had not seen or heard before, sorry if this is already posted somewhere.
The 41-second clip provides one of the last images of Graham, a University of Virginia sophomore whose disappearance Sept. 13 has brought new scrutiny to a spate of unsolved cases of missing or murdered young women and raised the specter of a serial attacker operating across Virginia for more than a decade. The sporadic attacks to which Matthew is now linked match the profile of someone who takes long cooling-off periods between assaults, experts say.
Experts who have studied the security footage say it shows a pro at work.

"He has the ability to identify a potential victim — somebody who is young, out by themselves late at night and may be under the influence," said former FBI profiler Clint Van Zandt. "This guy has been around."
A Charlottesville native, Matthew occupied the apartment for a year, paying $895 a month in rent, which suggests that as a hospital worker he had taken a small step up the economic ladder of the service class that tends to the doctors, professors and students who dominate the city of 45,000.
Matthew faced financial problems, including three default judgments in 2012 and 2013 for $6,547 in unpaid medical bills, a litany of traffic infractions and two more-serious charges involving blow-ups at random people seeming to block his path.
Matthew's barroom style also was noted. "He would hit on the drunkest girl in the bar," said Cecilia Rodi, owner of Rapture restaurant, which features $14 hamburgers made from grass-fed, antibiotic- and hormone-free beef. "He was just kind of awkward."
But Graham, after dining at a Corner restaurant with friends the night of Sept. 12, went off by herself, possibly drunk, dressed stylishly in black slacks and a shiny crop-top that exposed her midsection.
The time span between charges against Matthew can be typical of serial rapists or murderers, said Tod Burke, a criminal justice professor at Radford University in Virginia and a former Maryland police officer.

"That's the definition of a serial killer – there's an emotional cooling-off period," Burke said.
"It's the nice-guy side of Jesse," his landlord Frances Lee-Vandell said in a nod to Matthew's mild temperament punctuated by outbursts.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/10/16/graham-mystery-murder-charlottesville/17216765/

I agree with probably lazy/inaccurate reporting. I do find the new details and nuggets, i.e. FBI profiler observations, HG's "I'm OK. I'm just walking" quote to bouncer at McGrady's, Rapture owner's quote about JM, JM's apartment furnishings, etc, very helpful, and can take the lazy stuff with the salt it deserves.
I find HG's "I'm OK. I'm just walking" very strange

the quotes could have been left on the wall by previous tenants, that's where I got mine.....

Yes, agree with both of you. Could be a female's touch. (I personally find they really don't uplift and now so overused, they are meaningless. But that's simply my own personal opinion about people and vacant quotes.)

Yes — or perhaps his sister's (or mother or gma's) influence / gift to provide encouragement.

That being said, I DO think that so much emphasis was placed on his athletic ability as a young man that, when that was taken away from him, he had nothing left to truly define him -- his entire raison d'etre disappeared in an instant and I think he became really lost in life.

Just trying to understand what would provoke someone as nice as people claim JM to be to possibly go from one extreme to the other. I don't believe that so many people are born evil. They either learn it or have been in circumstances they were not prepared to handle and their brain's defense mechanism takes over in horrible ways.

<snipped for focus>

I think that his world fell apart when his early sports validation was taken away. LJ wasn't just good, he was the best — and suddenly he was a relative nobody with few prospects, struggling financially.

It reminds me of the trajectory of the older Tsarnaev brother involved in the Boston Marathon bombing — he was left with nothing but rage and brute force when his boxing days were behind him — apparently, even murdering his best friend / fellow boxer.

This thread will be locked for ten minutes so everyone can read and thank this post.

As of now, there is ONE named suspect in the disappearance of Hannah Graham. That person is Jesse Matthew.

Discussing ("sleuthing") his friends, family and acquaintances in relation to the disappearance of Hannah Graham or ANY OTHER CRIME is NOT allowed.

Those who continue that line of discussion will find their posting privileges temporarily suspended.

Thanks.

Bessie

Thread is open again for posting. Tread carefully.

For those that are unable to reconcile how so many of JM&#8217;s friends and family saw him as a nice guy. The following two excerpts from &#8220;Normalcy in Behavioral Characteristics of the Sadistic Serial Killer&#8221; by Jack Levin and James Alan Fox
may give you a better understanding.

"Presentation of Self
Usually as an aspect of their presumed sociopathic disorder, serial killers are often characterized as being extremely skillful at impression management. They are seen as unusually capable of looking and acting beyond suspicion, of appearing to be more innocent than a truly innocent person, of being able torture their victims with charm and cunning."

"Compartmentalization

is a psychological facilitator that serial killers use to overcome or neutralize whatever pangs of guilt they might otherwise experience(9).
It may be an immense exaggeration to suggest that most serial killers are totally lacking in human warmth and concern. Instead, they may be able to compartmentalize their moralistic predilections by constructing at least two categories of human beings&#8212;their circle of family and friends, whom they care about and treat with decency, and individuals victimize with total disregard for their feelings and therefore with whom they have no relationship."

These subjects and more can be found in
Serial Murder and the Psychology of Violent Crimes
at
http://www.academia.edu/4093239/Serial_Murder_and_the_Psychology_of_Violent_Crimes

For those that are unable to reconcile how so many of JM&#8217;s friends and family saw him as a nice guy. The following two excerpts from &#8220;Normalcy in Behavioral Characteristics of the Sadistic Serial Killer&#8221; by Jack Levin and James Alan Fox
may give you a better understanding.

"Presentation of Self
Usually as an aspect of their presumed sociopathic disorder, serial killers are often characterized as being extremely skillful at impression management. They are seen as unusually capable of looking and acting beyond suspicion, of appearing to be more innocent than a truly innocent person, of being able torture their victims with charm and cunning."

"Compartmentalization

is a psychological facilitator that serial killers use to overcome or neutralize whatever pangs of guilt they might otherwise experience(9).
It may be an immense exaggeration to suggest that most serial killers are totally lacking in human warmth and concern. Instead, they may be able to compartmentalize their moralistic predilections by constructing at least two categories of human beings&#8212;their circle of family and friends, whom they care about and treat with decency, and individuals victimize with total disregard for their feelings and therefore with whom they have no relationship."

These subjects and more can be found in
Serial Murder and the Psychology of Violent Crimes
at
http://www.academia.edu/4093239/Serial_Murder_and_the_Psychology_of_Violent_Crimes

This I can believe! I have known people to be in abusive relationships and after their bf would beat them to a pulp they were the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet. And if you didn't know he was abusive you'd have thought he was the worlds best guy and bf. People with psychological problems have major ups and downs and sometimes I truly believe they can't help themselves. Or at least they think they can't. JMO

Probably in light of what we think we know about JLM, these captions creep me out, as I cannot help but substitute the words ,"dance and love", with more vicious words, and the "spreading of wings" and fleeing, oops" flying," have the same effect. jmo.
Maybe they did offer encouragement, just the wrong kind...
rbbm.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/10/16/graham-mystery-murder-charlottesville/17216765/

"Sing like no one's listening," urges the peel-and-stick wall art in one bedroom. "Dance like nobody's watching. Love like you've never been hurt." In the living room, a small "Leadership" poster in a cheap plastic frame shows a bird soaring over a lake and advises that "Until you spread your wings, you'll have no idea how far you can fly."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18