JLM: What Do We Know About Him? - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is just a hunch that I have but I believe he may be in a single cell because perhaps that have deemed him a risk to either himself or others. He has a history of aggression (i.e. wrestling someone to the ground on Friday night of the abduction) and many other countless acts... It is possible of course with all of the media coverage, the notoriety of the case- he is not considered eligible to interact with the other prisoners.
MOO!

Yep, not feeling sorry for him over here. So do you have any thoughts on why JM (specifically) is in isolation? And do they typically take away certain types of clothing if the isolation is due to personal threat to themselves?

If a threat to oneself is a concern, jail inmates are often placed in a single cell that is video monitored 24/7. They must be awakened every 15 minutes. Their vitals might be checked at this time but that might depend on individual circumstances. Sometimes medications are ordered and administered. They can not order any commissary. They can have no belts, razors, pencils, utensils, etc. I don't think women are allowed to wear bras. I believe all undergarments are elastic-free. I know there is more but I just don't recall them off hand.

ETA: they are not allowed a blanket (and no pillow) so that they can be viewed 24/7.

The wrestling (not sure if it was to the ground) the night of Hannah's abduction was at the DTM, IIRC. From what I've read and heard here from locals, the DTM is an upscale environment. If that IS the case, it surprises me that the wrestlers weren't thrown out when that happened. I mean really, what kind of upscale restaurant or bar wouldn't do that, even if the wrestling was all in fun? That seems so very odd to me.

Here's a link describing the scene that night. It says he took this guy to the ground but the description that follows sounds otherwise. In any event, it did make a scene. IMO.

http://insidecville.com/blog/ljs-timeline/

I've said this before,he is most likely in isolation because he will be a target. His case is high profile. Other inmates do not like or tolerate rapists,pedophiles or gays well.
These perps are a threat to the safety of other inmates families. I don't see his size makes any difference;there are repeat cons ,gangs and it is a very tense living situation.People get hurt if they don't like' the way you look at them',they get hurt if someone doesn't like their attitude,they can get hurt if they 'talk about 'anything they see or hear . You have to learn the system to survive.Snitches can be killed,mind your own business,don't brag,don't talk about anyone, don't 'try' to get away with taking others stuff,commissary snacks etc. Learn who runs the pods(there is always a top dog inmate). The other inmates learn to have eyes on everything around them
there are lookouts ;they all know when something is going down.It's noisy 24 hrs a day,tempers are short,and you have to learn to fit in to chaos;you don't want to stand out in the crowd. The higher up the conviction,the longer the sentence,the less inmates have to lose when they get frustrated.

I've said this before,he is most likely in isolation because he will be a target. His case is high profile. Other inmates do not like or tolerate rapists,pedophiles or gays well.
These perps are a threat to the safety of other inmates families. I don't see his size makes any difference;there are repeat cons ,gangs and it is a very tense living situation.People get hurt if they don't like' the way you look at them',they get hurt if someone doesn't like their attitude,they can get hurt if they 'talk about 'anything they see or hear . You have to learn the system to survive.Snitches can be killed,mind your own business,don't brag,don't talk about anyone, don't 'try' to get away with taking others stuff,commissary snacks etc. Learn who runs the pods(there is always a top dog inmate). The other inmates learn to have eyes on everything around them
there are lookouts ;they all know when something is going down.It's noisy 24 hrs a day,tempers are short,and you have to learn to fit in to chaos;you don't want to stand out in the crowd. The higher up the conviction,the longer the sentence,the less inmates have to lose when they get frustrated.

Ollie- thank you so much for your informative post. Your explanation is much better than my previous attempt LOL.
Also, his social skills are not explained as being "strong" so he would likely be targeted on that score as well. Imagine him trying to read the "pecking order of inmates" as an example. If he is and hopefully will be jailed for life- he will have a lot to learn.

Re: solitary confinement....If you do a query on this, you will find that Virginia is criticized for it's frequent use of solitary confinement. I found some guidelines that states use for juveniles, but couldn't find anything for adults (got too late last night). Apparently, there was going to be a legislative investigation relating to the use of solitary confinement, but it was tabled as far as I can tell.

Re: solitary confinement....If you do a query on this, you will find that Virginia is criticized for it's frequent use of solitary confinement. I found some guidelines that states use for juveniles, but couldn't find anything for adults (got too late last night). Apparently, there was going to be a legislative investigation relating to the use of solitary confinement, but it was tabled as far as I can tell.

And there has been (not surprisingly) a good deal of controversy over whether it's considered abuse in many places in the US. Sorry, no links this morning- just read about it yesterday when I was searching around on the topic on the web.

Were I JLM, I would WANT solitary confinement. I don't think he is going to be the "golden boy" of the Virginia Penal System and its "guests".

During JLM's Indictment we can see the officer with blue gloves eyes on JLM and wonder if this is standard behavior of alertness or if it is because of JLM's behavior while in jail that they are more alert. He seems to be under physical control so I was very surprised that the guards where so ready to pull their guns. I thought they were looking at the audience as well and wonder if they were alarmed by the behavior of someone in the audience seating.

IMO: JLM needs to be placed in isolation to guard the right of the public to prosecute him. If he is not controlled during the various phases of transport and confinement, then it is the states fault in assessing and not implementing procedures correctly. If JLM does get hurt, then I expect it will give cause for his defense to make claims of injustice and treatment to assure his safety. He has claimed that he is not guilty and a person that is not proven guilty and potentially suffers under the care of the state is in a delicate situation indeed. It is also the resposibility to make sure he is not a threat to the jail community.

See Jail House Lawyer's Manual Chapter 34 Page 950 item B. Disciplinary Measures For Infraction of Prison Rules.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...oQFjAB&usg=AFQjCNEIKj7dUijZFJVVvkurX86mKpI6BQ

Also, page 952 has interesting points. See my search terms below.

Seems to indicate that they believe JLM is a risk to the safety of the prison community. JMO

You may conduct a search of the document by keywords I used "injur" and "safe" to see the refrence items I read.

We also have to remember that JLM is in a County Jail not a state prison. They are often as different as night and day, literally. Sometimes state prisons are actually better (for the inmates) than county jails. It just depends. An example would be the OKC jail. Virtually every inmate there would rather go to prison. Here's the problem. Because of over crowding within the prison system (because 80% of those incarcerated are there for non-violent crimes), many jails are now being used as "prisons" and some there may be incarcerated for as many as THREE years. No time for links - baking cookies, so just chalk it up to my opinion.

Again - there is a difference between IQ and other tests of various cognitive abilities.

Exactly. That is why I posted the info abut learning disabilites.

But being several standard deviations below the mean is not possible for him. One would have to be severely impaired to score so low and clearly he is not. He is totally functional except for being a serial killer.

This is insane folks;when inmates are on intake process in the jail system,all belongings are taken away,body cavity searches are routine ;the inmate goes thru medical screening and placed in holding cells; where they are classified before being moved to general housing ,where they are given underwear, jumpsuits,and flip-flops and blankets. Because of JM's charges and high profile status he would be placed in isolation,a single cell room. He is not left naked. Isolation can be for several different reasons,can be requested by inmate if they feel personal safety is an issue, or if the inmate is a threat to others,or if they break the rules for punishment(fighting and unruly behavior) Please don't feel sorry for JM, if he likes the attention and wants to be treated special it won't happen in jail.

http://www.c-ville.com/jail-witness...-search-hannah-graham-continues/#.VGkF3_nF9nE

...one person who has seen Matthew since his arrest offered a glimpse. The Charlottesville man, who asked not to be named because of concerns about making his own arrest record public, said he spent part of Sunday, September 28 in a holding cell across from Matthew at the jail, waiting to be released after a DUI charge. From about 3am until noon that day, the man said he could see Matthew through the glass-fronted doors of their cells.

“I was 30 feet away,” the man said. For a while, he could hear Matthew through a small opening in the cell door used for passing food to those locked up, talking to a jail staffer in a voice that was higher-pitched than expected. “He was pacing a lot, and he seemed to be only wearing a brown blanket around his waist. He was asking for a shower, and saying he hadn’t gotten one since he got here.”

I am just trying to figure out why he would be without any clothing. JM's question over a lack of clothing in TX and her in VA seems a valid one IMO. If not for suicide risk, why? Maybe they were behind on laundry? What reason would this person have for lying?

http://www.c-ville.com/jail-witness...-search-hannah-graham-continues/#.VGkF3_nF9nE

...one person who has seen Matthew since his arrest offered a glimpse. The Charlottesville man, who asked not to be named because of concerns about making his own arrest record public, said he spent part of Sunday, September 28 in a holding cell across from Matthew at the jail, waiting to be released after a DUI charge. From about 3am until noon that day, the man said he could see Matthew through the glass-fronted doors of their cells.

“I was 30 feet away,” the man said. For a while, he could hear Matthew through a small opening in the cell door used for passing food to those locked up, talking to a jail staffer in a voice that was higher-pitched than expected. “He was pacing a lot, and he seemed to be only wearing a brown blanket around his waist. He was asking for a shower, and saying he hadn’t gotten one since he got here.”

I am just trying to figure out why he would be without any clothing. JM's question over a lack of clothing in TX and her in VA seems a valid one IMO. If not for suicide risk, why? Maybe they were behind on laundry? What reason would this person have for lying?

Apparently Matthew was also in a holding cell and was wrapped in a blanket awaiting to be issued clothing. IMO. The other guy was in for a DUI and probably slept it off in a holding cell. Then was arraigned, posted bond and was released. He probably has no idea about the procedures when you're actually booked INTO jail, in a cell. That's my opinion, anyway.

“I was 30 feet away,” the man said. For a while, he could hear Matthew through a small opening in the cell door used for passing food to those locked up, talking to a jail staffer in a voice that was higher-pitched than expected. “He was pacing a lot, and he seemed to be only wearing a brown blanket around his waist. He was asking for a shower, and saying he hadn’t gotten one since he got here.” [/I]

Shortening the quoted doc for space.

I observe that JLM stated a need for shower and clothing in the quote. If someone sees him with a blanket on and no clothing it does not indicate whether someone had removed his clothing from his cell. If JLM wanted to force the situation, he could remove his clothing because he wanted to make a point that it was dirty and then insist on a shower.

If the jail has a policy on frequency of showers and clothing change, then they may also be holding to their policy.

JLM will need to abide by the policy independent of his personal desire (not need).

The thread topic is "what do we know about JLM". I am just asking some questions. :)

That means, who did he know? Did he have a grudge against someone/ something? Or he just liked to kill, and the skull and bones media reports, the dates 9.13, the associations are all just coincidences? Don't think so.. JMO

I know a little about Skull and Bones from my Ivy days. That is a group that for so many reasons would not have him as a member. I can hardly think a group that would be less welcoming. Maybe the Junior League?

Shortening the quoted doc for space.

I observe that JLM stated a need for shower and clothing in the quote. If someone sees him with a blanket on and no clothing it does not indicate whether someone had removed his clothing from his cell. If JLM wanted to force the situation, he could remove his clothing because he wanted to make a point that it was dirty and then insist on a shower.

If the jail has a policy on frequency of showers and clothing change, then they may also be holding to their policy.

JLM will need to abide by the policy independent of his personal desire (not need).

Respectfully, JLM had already spent a week in a Texas jail so would have been pretty familiar with the way things are done in a jail vs elsewhere. I don't really think he was requesting some special treatment. He probably realized as a new inmate he would/should be given a shower and then his clothing and was wanting to know when that would occur. But, that's just my opinion.

Well ,he's back in C'ville jail for a hearing in Dec.;he'll probably end up logging more miles than Obama when he is done with all his court dates;and yes folks ,we get to pay for his travel and lodging,he probably has as much security as Obama too. He always wanted attention so now he's got it.

Unrelated to the current topic, but this seems the best thread for it... A sign today that I have spent way too much time on this case: I slowed down the car b/c I saw a guy who looked just like JM in the grocery store parking lot. Did a triple take. :freakedout: And I live very far away :crazy:

Unrelated to the current topic, but this seems the best thread for it... A sign today that I have spent way too much time on this case: I slowed down the car b/c I saw a guy who looked just like JM in the grocery store parking lot. Did a triple take. :freakedout: And I live very far away :crazy:

There is a guy in Charlottesville who has been mistaken for JM since all this began. Except he is 6' 9"! I wonder if it is safe for him to go anywhere now?!?

Anthony Williams, a parking attendant who stands 6-foot-9, is African American like Matthew and also has dreadlocks, said strangers have approached him quizzically in recent days. “They say to me, ‘You look like that guy.’ It’s crazy that this happened on my Mall,” where Graham was last seen. “But if this guy was so well-known here, why would he do something on the Mall where people know him?”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...fabab0-48bd-11e4-b72e-d60a9229cc10_story.html

Don't feel bad, I do that all the time and I don't live in Virginia and I know he is incarcerated. I even thought I saw him in our mall one afternoon recently. I don't how the Texas lady was so sure she saw him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lizakind
Back