JLM: What Do We Know About Him?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hypothetically speaking, if JLM asked a lawyer if he could leave the state, or leave the area, then wouldn't the lawyer have been within the law to say yes, since no charges had been placed on JLM? I'm not saying he DID ask the lawyer this, I'm more or less asking what if he did.

You aren't the only person who's criticized the CPD for this. Chief Longo spoke to this criticism today:

"We caught some criticism when Mr. Matthew walked out that door on that Saturday afternoon. People couldn't understand: 'How do you just let the guy walk out the door?'" Charlottesville Police Chief Timothy Longo said in an interview with the Associated Press. "We made a commitment to honor certain constitutional protections that people have in our criminal justice system, and as frustrating as it is, we want to be very careful to get it right, not to rush to judgment."

Their work towards justice system reform is GREATLY appreciated!

Harding’s charge: Albemarle County Sheriff takes aim at wrongful convictions
http://www.c-ville.com/hardings-cha...kes-aim-at-wrongful-convictions/#.VDOE1GddWSo

“Certainly I support anything we can do to improve the criminal justice system, make us more accountable and more transparent,” said Brunswick County Sheriff Brian Roberts, vice chair of the Virginia Law Enforcement Accreditation Commission (Charlottesville Police Chief Tim Longo is its chair). He pointed out that only 89 out of 385 agencies in Virginia have received accreditation, a voluntary process that requires departments to show compliance with 200 standards, according to Harding, who notes that it can be especially burdensome for smaller agencies. Charlottesville and Albemarle police departments are accredited, as is the Albemarle Sheriff’s Office; the Charlottesville Sheriff’s Office is not, but Sheriff James Brown says it’s something he’s considering."

Stop and think about this from LE's perspective for a minute. They take an oath to serve and to protect and some of them take it quite seriously despite an occasional bad egg.

If you had just spent hours watching a grown man and woman break down in front of you and promised them you would do your best to find their daughter and/or bring the person that harmed her to justice, wouldnt you hold things close to your chest and make sure that all your i's were dotted and your t's were crossed?

To prevent a possible serial killer from being unleashed back on the public due to a technicality?

Some of these cases end up haunting investigators for decades after the actual crime was committed while the people who commit these heinous acts often suffer little if any remorse

As an ex attorney and now a cop, Longo knows better than most how the system works and I for one am glad we have the right person for the job in Charlottesville.

Vilifying the police while casting misplaced anger in their direction...out of frustration stemming from Hannah not being found yet, or an imperfect understanding of the facts, all of the facts, not just those we are privy too here on an internet forum,or even as family and friends of a victim, is counterproductive and helps the criminals, the bad guys and the creeps far more than it does those who willingly place their lives and safety on the line to protect us every single day.

The police are only human, they have lives and families that some of them probably havent spoken 50 words too since this case has started, and they are going to make mistakes, its inevitable to the human condition....perhaps even more so under this kind of stress.

The difference here is that LE has a respect for human life, and in our rights to live our lives without being preyed upon by sub-human monsters. Monsters who cannot create, but can only destroy..... and cause senseless and needless suffering on the lives of innocent victims and their families and loved ones....people who's only crime is often being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

To protect and serve is often a selfless and thankless job.

Yet LE does it any way.

Why? It certainly cant be for the pay and I hear the hours suck.......

While the actions of criminals such as the ones I mentioned above are almost entirely selfish in nature, in the end, no one benefits from their craven acts, not even themselves.

The cops arent the bad guys here IMO and I would question the motives and agendas of anyone who says otherwise.

JMO of course.

Shortened for brevity and BBM.

Excellent post jamicat, thank you.

Love the part I bolded.... So true, so true.

I agree, MJP, Jamicat's post was great--balanced, thoughtful, evenhanded. I agree with Jamicat's position on JM--more than likely he is guilty, and there is a very good chance that poor Hannah is not his first victim. But things could have been handled better by LE early on. Even an innocent POI might have responded the way JM did, under the circumstances, and what a shame that as a result of those missteps LE may have made their own investigation much more difficult and, possibly because of that, Hannah's family still does not know where she is, much less if she is alive or dead.

I am glad police are telling us nothing. Of course I'd like to know, but not if it's going to risk their prosecution.

As an ex attorney and now a cop, Longo knows better than most how the system works and I for one am glad we have the right person for the job in Charlottesville.

Your not the only one, zapped.

CNN AC360 Blog investigates the continuing Newport rape allegation
http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/category/hannah-graham/
Overview of search status update from today (sorry if repeat)
http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/v...nt-casarez-hannah-graham-uva-parents.cnn.html

"Virginia Police hope fans who traveled to the Sept. 12 Louisville-Virginia game will have information"
dated but interesting
http://www.wdrb.com/story/26688152/louisville-football-fans-asked-to-help-police-find-hannah-graham

Search seeks info from anyone who knew JM ever. It all helps.
http://www.nbc29.com/story/26714878/crews-continue-to-search-albemarle-county-for-hannah-graham
http://www.nbc29.com/story/26698306/tips-slow-in-hannah-graham-investigation

The move was scheduled a while ago. LE has said that roomates have cooperated with the police. What I find unusual and disconcerting is that without any additional info, it appears that LE showed upt at JM's apartment with a warrent to search his car. While searching, they go another warrent to search the apartment. They then seized the car. Not a good intro to the police. No info has been given as to whether JM was given the courtesy of an interview and to answer any questions. The search was done in the wee hours of the night/morning and I think if this was my intro to LE and the Hannah Graham disappearance, I'd not be so eager to talk to LE without an attorney. I think that could have been handled better.

And yes, due to that move, things might have been out of the apartment that could have been useful to LE.

It is curious why they would have been executing a warrant on him when there doesn't appear to be any reason for them to know who he was.

The only way to get any ID on him would be to get the CC information from Tempo, and that prompts the question of why they were there in the first place, since there was no clear indication that she had been there. And if the people at Tempo didn't know him, why would they connect him with the CC transaction?

The video of HG on the street is not clear.....we can guess that one of the people is her.....but is it? on one of the videos there are two women that pass who could be her - one appears to have male in white holding her shoulders, and the second has a male in white walking next to the woman....so which one really is HG?. The resolution on both of those cameras is so bad that it is impossible to say if JM is actually the person on the video....perhaps he wasn't.

It is curious why they would have been executing a warrant on him when there doesn't appear to be any reason for them to know who he was.

The only way to get any ID on him would be to get the CC information from Tempo, and that prompts the question of why they were there in the first place, since there was no clear indication that she had been there. And if the people at Tempo didn't know him, why would they connect him with the CC transaction?

The video of HG on the street is not clear.....we can guess that one of the people is her.....but is it? on one of the videos there are two women that pass who could be her - one appears to have male in white holding her shoulders, and the second has a male in white walking next to the woman....so which one really is HG?. The resolution on both of those cameras is so bad that it is impossible to say if JM is actually the person on the video....perhaps he wasn't.

I suspect they ran a registration check on the car itself.

I am not sure which version of the video you are looking at - some are much grainier than others - but she is very easily identifiable on the crisper version and the two in front look and move very differently. Jmo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with you that the videos alone are not good enough to be solid evidence. But once people who will attest to being in the videos are identified, and can tell what happened about when, the videos can provide good verification. There has been confusion with the tapes as well.

When Hannah's description was first aired and the "Missing" alarm was raised, there was no reason to look at the video footage at the mall. All LE knew was that it was Sunday afternoon and Hannah was last seen by UVA students at a party who out and out said she had been drinking and left them at a location at "the Corner" where UVA grads tend to cluster. She had been with contact with some of the partiers that morning of 9/13 and the texts that she sent to them were pretty quickly collected as well as the accounts of those students in that area who had seen her last.

The next break seemed to be from those who saw her walking at the mall. She is a tall girl, dressed to party, alone and apparently her demeanor and stride did attract some attention. People at the mall let police know she had been there and the timing was after what fellow students reported from the Corner, near where she lived, near where the students tend to hang out. So video footage from stores and the mall area were obtained and studied. It takes a lot to go through the grainy, vague footage in real time and glean the pertinant shots from it. Again, without, people who stepped up and gave time/place marker on seeing her there, it would have been tough getting a fix on her so quickly, IMO.

But it also confused things, as WG who did come to LE described someone different from who was on the camera, and who LE had pretty much already gotten a fix on--JM with his dreads. JM was well known there at the mall. He hung out there and he was seen with Hannah definitively at Tempo. Really that has turned out to be the most salient info from all of that since that was the last sighting of Hannah. She left with him, was the word.

JM had been at Tempo earlier that evening--sales receipts and several witnesses have placed him there He left at about the time the encouter with Hannah is seen on tape, and I agree that without WG saying what happened, the time stamps of bills paid at Tempo, that he did return to Temp with Hannah, bought something there, paid for it with credit card and Hannah was also seen in the vicinity (unclear whether she actually went into Temp, and isn't relevant to what happened afterwards). So it's a combo of what is on tape, witness accounts, including more than one person, and JM actually leaving credit card info at given times that show pretty definitively what happened at the mall.

I can't make out a danged thing form the footage alone, either. I can verify sort of from a narrative, but I wouldn't bet anyone's life on the images alone It's like a lot of evidence, which alone won't stand up but with other pieces of info tell a most probable story.

Seriously, Hannah could have been planning to go off with someone night, met up with him, and JM was the conduit to take her to that person and she's off in the islands sipping a Pina Colada But I don't think that's likely. Unfortunately, the most probable scenario, given what LE has told us, she is probably dead and lying in a creek, lake, underbrush, ditch, thrown off a crevice. From what I've seen around Charlottesville and what those who know it well have said, there are many, many places within minutes of the city where a body can be hidden and unlikely found. We can only hope that JM was as careless with pitching Hannah as he is with most everything else he does in his life and that he did something quick and easy that LE can track and she can be found. So far, that 's not been the case.

Also, the lawyer might have just emphasized how serious the situation was. And perhaps it gave him enough of a fright to skip town.

Remember JLM made a phone call to his Dad (while on the lam) and according to the witness who loaned JLM his phone, it was a somewhat heated discussion. After the discussion JLM had with his Dad, it is said that his Dad and his attorney tried to contact him several times (on the borrowed phone). Of course, JLM had already left - on his way to the beach. Seems as though whatever his Dad had to say JLM didn't want to hear. His attorney was probably trying to get ahold of him to tell him to turn around, return to Charlottesville, and turn himself in. JMO

I think some people seem to be forgetting that there is nothing that says that the public has the right to know what evidence the police have. It is as much of a protection for the potential accused as it is for the police not to reveal everything they know/have. If the police revealed every piece of evidence they had, they run the risk of contaminating the potential jury pool. In addition, if they are looking for specific evidence, for example a piece of jewelry, they don't want to tip off the perp or his family/friends/associates who may know where that specific piece of evidence is and dispose of it.

I have read varying accounts of the issue with the lawyer - some said the police found a lawyer for JM, others said that JM came in with a list of attorneys and made the call to find his own lawyer - frankly, I think that's a problem with bad media investigation and reporting. As for the "forensic link," - multiple MSM outlets have said that a source close to the investigation but who is not authorized to speak about the case revealed that the link was DNA. Is that true? I don't know - I only have the media's word for it.

"Consciousness of guilt" - if Matthew had nothing to hide, why not come forward and say, hey that's me on the tape and yes, I met Hannah that night and interacted with her, but then we went our separate ways? Instead, police tracked down his CAR. The police have some evidence that brought them to Matthew's car before they even seek him out for general questioning. In my opinion, that's huge. I am convinced that they have additional video evidence that shows Hannah getting (or being put) in Matthew's car. Then, the investigation of the car led them to get a warrant for Matthew's apartment - I can't fathom what they would have found in the car that led to probable cause to search the apartment. Regardless, whatever was found in the car and the apartment had to be analyzed forensically to make certain there was a connection to Hannah.
I think Matthew had something in his apartment that linked him to Morgan Harrington - the necklace she was wearing the night she disappeared wasn't found with her body, although other jewelry was. Maybe police found that necklace and it had MH's DNA on it??? Or maybe they are simply referring to the shirt that was found that was Morgan's and had Matthew's DNA on it???
I then believe that Matthew knew that once cops went into his apartment, it was only a matter of time before things came crashing down on him and the connection was made between him and these three girls (Hannah, Morgan and the Fairfax victim). Why he went to the police station is beyond me - unless it was for nothing more than to "lawyer up" and let the police know that he had nothing to say to them. Skipping town makes you look guilty - if you want to avoid the prying eyes of the press, why not go escape to a family or friend's house?
Finding Hannah is the missing link to bring all of this together. She's his ace in the hole. If LE gets into a situation like with Alexis Murphy - where the body isn't found, maybe he uses that as leverage for a lighter sentence?
The cops are working so diligently to find Hannah because finding her could put a potential serial rapist/murderer away for life. I'm not a big believer in coincidence - and I certainly don't believe that Matthew has the sheer bad luck to have been accused of rape by two women while in two different schools, and then connected to three other women who have been raped/disappeared/murdered. No one's luck is that bad...
Thankfully, while I am from the general area where this is taking place, I'm just outside the jurisdictional boundary, so I am not burdened with having to presume Matthew is innocent until proven guilty (i.e. if I were to be called to sit on a jury), because frankly, I think he's a guilty as they come.

Oh I get why they let him walk out the door. He came in on his own, and he wasn't under arrest. I just don't understand the assist on arranging a lawyer. Hand the dude a phone and a phone book. If he came in with a friend or family, hand them the phone book.

I think he's just very familiar with how to manipulate/work the system to his own advantage. CPD got 'worked'.

There is no way they got him a lawyer.

When I was a teacher, I had a list of mental health professionals to give to parents who wanted help for a child. I was not allowed to give them a name or my opinion.

I bet with LE they have a list of attorneys and that is what LE does.

There is no way they are hooking him up with an attorney.

Remember JLM made a phone call to his Dad (while on the lam) and according to the witness who loaned JLM his phone, it was a somewhat heated discussion. After the discussion JLM had with his Dad, it is said that his Dad and his attorney tried to contact him several times (on the borrowed phone). Of course, JLM had already left - on his way to the beach. Seems as though whatever his Dad had to say JLM didn't want to hear. His attorney was probably trying to get ahold of him to tell him to turn around, return to Charlottesville, and turn himself in. JMO

His Dad in an interview mentioned something about having fear for him getting hurt. I took it to be his fear would be of stand-off type situation where JM would be shot, get eaten by crocodiles, death on the run, parents' worst fear... maybe he wanted his son to come in alive, which he did anyway.

There is no way they got him a lawyer.

When I was a teacher, I had a list of mental health professionals to give to parents who wanted help for a child. I was not allowed to give them a name or my opinion.

I bet with LE they have a list of attorneys and that is what LE does.

There is no way they are hooking him up with an attorney.

I also read that he arrived at the police station with a list of lawyers that he'd already prepared. Don't have time now to go back and find the reference, though.

Just IMHO, I think search of JM's car was prompted simply because people on the mall had told police that JM left Tempo with her, even got into his car with her, and that she could barely walk. (I'm sure LE were cognizant of his resemblance to sketch in MH case, too.) Inside car, IMHO, they simply got JM's DNA . . . but that DNA matched what was on file from the MH case. Bingo! Reason to put out warrant for his arrest. We have no idea if there is any DNA from HG among JM's car or possessions; in fact, if I think there were, he would might have been charged with her murder already. In other words, maybe they can forensically link him to MH -- but have only witnesses and video linking him to HG, and no more.

His Dad in an interview mentioned something about having fear for him getting hurt. I took it to be his fear would be of stand-off type situation where JM would be shot, get eaten by crocodiles, death on the run, parents' worst fear... maybe he wanted his son to come in alive, which he did anyway.

As impulsive as JM seems to be, his father's worry might have been well-founded. "Impulsive" often doesn't go over well with LE, at least not from the limited interactions I've seen myself.

I have been known to anger an officer just because I can't NOT CRY when I get pulled for speeding. It isn't me being manipulative, it's just what happens. But you know they have got to see everything, every trick in the book, so they are wise to be prepared. "Impulsive," JM-style, could get you shot or slammed down face-first on the hood of a car.

LE doesn't treat our "babies" like we treat them at home. They don't get 150 chances to screw up, they don't make excuses, and they don't listen to a whole lot of explaining.

I'm not sure if it's OK to post this as it's hearsay, but I read on my mutual friend's FB page that the lawyer's son was two years younger than JLM in high school. I don't know if that was Monticello or Albemarle. I would guess Monticello since that's where JLM graduated from, IIRC. Friends of JLM were trying to figure out how to get in touch with the lawyer or his son so they could donate to the legal fees. This was before the media reported a DNA link, FWIW.

ETA: If this isn't OK, I'm sorry, and please delete. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18