Jodi Arias Legal Question and Answer Thread *no discussion*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the motion is bizarre. Why just Twitter and not, well, everything else? And why pretend the former juror was doing something wrong when it is crystal clear from the attachments that she was not? My best guess is that the motion is just a vehicle to get the info about the former juror in front of the judge, in hopes that she will get nervous about how easy it would be for someone to communicate with a juror and reconsider a request to sequester the jury. Perhaps the judge should just order all the jurors to place their social media accounts on "private" and to post an announcement that anyone mentioning the case will be deleted immediately. :)

Why should Nurmi legally have the right to anyone's twitter accounts? Does he also want phone records and emails? Unconstitutional IMO

Edit: I was under the impression the DT wants twitters from FUTURE jurors. Am I wrong?

I have a legal question and although it doesn't involve this case specifically, it does involve JM. In the case he's prosecuting now, his first witness was on the stand being cross examined and the point came up that JM did not have this officer's deposition before trial began. Now I see on the docket that last Thur. JM filed a motion to compel depositions of the defense witnesses who will be testifying beginning on Monday. Don't these depositions fall under discovery? How can a prosecutor go to trial without depositions, esp. of his own witness? Is this unusual?

There's normally no reason to take your own witnesses' depositions. You already know what they're going to say.

As for JM's motion (which I haven't seen), I assume he wants depositions of any new witnesses the defense plans to call in the retrial of the penalty phase. That's very normal.

Why should Nurmi legally have the right to anyone's twitter accounts? Does he also want phone records and emails? Unconstitutional IMO

Edit: I was under the impression the DT wants twitters from FUTURE jurors. Am I wrong?

I think they are just asking for the Twitter account names for the new jurors, so they can "monitor" their feeds. I don't see why the jurors couldn't just put their accounts on private to thwart this "monitoring," though.

There's normally no reason to take your own witnesses' depositions. You already know what they're going to say.

As for JM's motion (which I haven't seen), I assume he wants depositions of any new witnesses the defense plans to call in the retrial of the penalty phase. That's very normal.

I think they are just asking for the Twitter account names for the new jurors, so they can "monitor" their feeds. I don't see why the jurors couldn't just put their accounts on private to thwart this "monitoring," though.

Exactly. I do not have a twitter account, but it seems to be an easy deal to solve. What were other motions that take the judge a month to decide on? No cameras in court? Why don't they just sequester the jurors in Penalty Phase II and be done with it?

Exactly. I do not have a twitter account, but it seems to be an easy deal to solve. What were other motions that take the judge a month to decide on? No cameras in court? Why don't they just sequester the jurors in Penalty Phase II and be done with it?

That's what I would do.

Hiding on the docket with all of the recent motion was the filing of a subpoena and affidavit of service recorded on 8/27. It was requested by Willmott to MSCO for the phone records of the defendant from 1/1/2013 to 8/1/2013.

There is speculation that the DT is requesting these records as part of their request to be dismissed from the case.

Does this seem likely to you? If so, what might they be looking for in her recorded phone conversations? If not likely, what other possible reasons might give rise to them requesting these records.

From a layman's point of view, this seems like a dangerous move to me, since anything in those phone records would be made known to Martinez through discovery.

Hiding on the docket with all of the recent motion was the filing of a subpoena and affidavit of service recorded on 8/27. It was requested by Willmott to MSCO for the phone records of the defendant from 1/1/2013 to 8/1/2013.

There is speculation that the DT is requesting these records as part of their request to be dismissed from the case.

Does this seem likely to you? If so, what might they be looking for in her recorded phone conversations? If not likely, what other possible reasons might give rise to them requesting these records.

From a layman's point of view, this seems like a dangerous move to me, since anything in those phone records would be made known to Martinez through discovery.

That's odd. It does seem like a dangerous move--I would give the results a 90% chance of being damaging to Jodi in some way. And the date range is too broad for them to be looking for something specific that Jodi thinks will help her.

Can Juan use FJA's obnoxious Tweets in this retrial? And her prolific advertising and selling her "art?"

Also, Juan was precluded from arguing "lack of remorse" in the guilt phase--is that also true of the sentencing phase?

Also--Juan was not allowed to ask ALV about Jodi's abuse and torture of animals--is the sentencing phase a clean slate where he can bring this in (or argue to?)

THANK YOU AZ LAWYER!!!! :loveyou:

During Monday's hearing, Nurmi was heard making a request to the judge for an ex parte meeting. The court session ended and CMJA was seen leaving the courtroom. A court observer tweeted that Nurmi and Willmott then met with Judge Stephens in her chambers.

Is there any basis for such a meeting without the defendant's permission? Could this have been to present the judge with the subpoena for the phone records? I would have thought that a clerk of the court could approve this, but want to make sure.

AZ Lawyer - how much of the evidence in the guilt phase will have to be re-introduced in the penalty phase retrial to a new jury? Are we looking at a month of the prosecution's case again and 3 months of the Defense? And will the Defense be able to re-introduce all the claims of abuse, and subject us again to all the text messages and the sex tape all over again? Because it's a new jury, would the penalty phase likely be week or months long, instead of just a few days as it was in the original trial?

There seems to be a lot of confusion about the roles of MCSO and the County Attorneys Office and how information might be given by MCSO to Juan Martinez.

For example: "I was under the impression that the Sheriff's Dept. would turn over the calls to the state if there was something in them they thought they needed to hear just as they did with the magazine codes. They caught what she was doing and turned the mags over to the state. Wouldn't it be the same for phone records and recordings? Is this something the state can get from the MCSO without needing a subpoena? As lamb said, they both work for the govt. And pros. offices work in conjunction with LE, right? "

Do you know what the procedure is for an inmate's information being turned over to the prosecution? As noted above, Juan was able to obtain the coded magazines that were confiscated. MCSO also confiscated one of CMJA's journals on or around April 1, 2013; the DT filed a motion to compel the journals but I am not aware of any ruling on this.

What kind of rule infraction might form the basis for MCSO to confiscate CMJA's journals, or is there another possible reason?

Can Juan use FJA's obnoxious Tweets in this retrial? And her prolific advertising and selling her "art?"

Also, Juan was precluded from arguing "lack of remorse" in the guilt phase--is that also true of the sentencing phase?

Also--Juan was not allowed to ask ALV about Jodi's abuse and torture of animals--is the sentencing phase a clean slate where he can bring this in (or argue to?)

THANK YOU AZ LAWYER!!!! :loveyou:

He might be able to use some of these things IF he is responding to some argument made by Jodi. E.g., if Jodi claims remorse, he can argue lack of remorse.

During Monday's hearing, Nurmi was heard making a request to the judge for an ex parte meeting. The court session ended and CMJA was seen leaving the courtroom. A court observer tweeted that Nurmi and Willmott then met with Judge Stephens in her chambers.

Is there any basis for such a meeting without the defendant's permission? Could this have been to present the judge with the subpoena for the phone records? I would have thought that a clerk of the court could approve this, but want to make sure.

First of all, do we have some reason to think the meeting was without Jodi's permission?

Either way, if they have some ethical issue to discuss with the judge, which they can't disclose to the prosecutor for (other) ethical reasons, an ex parte hearing would be OK.

AZ attorneys can issue their own subpoenas online. No need to get the judge involved unless there is a motion to quash the subpoena filed. And, in that case, an ex parte meeting would be highly, highly unlikely.

AZ Lawyer - how much of the evidence in the guilt phase will have to be re-introduced in the penalty phase retrial to a new jury? Are we looking at a month of the prosecution's case again and 3 months of the Defense? And will the Defense be able to re-introduce all the claims of abuse, and subject us again to all the text messages and the sex tape all over again? Because it's a new jury, would the penalty phase likely be week or months long, instead of just a few days as it was in the original trial?

The new jury will need to hear everything that could possibly relate to this phase--which is a lot, maybe most of the prior testimony. Perhaps they could be shown the videotapes or allowed to read transcripts. Yes, the abuse will come up again. The penalty phase will certainly be longer than last time.

There seems to be a lot of confusion about the roles of MCSO and the County Attorneys Office and how information might be given by MCSO to Juan Martinez.

For example: "I was under the impression that the Sheriff's Dept. would turn over the calls to the state if there was something in them they thought they needed to hear just as they did with the magazine codes. They caught what she was doing and turned the mags over to the state. Wouldn't it be the same for phone records and recordings? Is this something the state can get from the MCSO without needing a subpoena? As lamb said, they both work for the govt. And pros. offices work in conjunction with LE, right? "

Do you know what the procedure is for an inmate's information being turned over to the prosecution? As noted above, Juan was able to obtain the coded magazines that were confiscated. MCSO also confiscated one of CMJA's journals on or around April 1, 2013; the DT filed a motion to compel the journals but I am not aware of any ruling on this.

What kind of rule infraction might form the basis for MCSO to confiscate CMJA's journals, or is there another possible reason?

The MCSO has lots of rules, and I'm confident that if they wanted to read her journals they could think of a rule that would cover that situation. Perhaps they suspected that she was passing the journals back and forth with some other inmate and was planning something, for example.

Yes, if they found anything in her journals or phone calls (if they bothered listening to them--they can't possibly listen to all phone calls of inmates) they would tell the detective on the case, who would tell the prosecutor.

I emailed the MCSO to ask about what access the SA's had to the phone records - who owns them? - and also whether or not LE is notified automatically if something of concern is discovered while monitoring an inmate's activities. Got the reply:

The Maricopa County Sheriff's Office (MCSO) owns and manages all call logs and inmate telephone recordings related to its jails. In any one legal proceeding, attorneys for both the prosecution and the defense must obtain a subpoena for access to these items.

MCSO also assists other law enforcement agencies (at the local, county and federal levels) with any intelligence gathered from both the inmate telephone recordings and the live monitoring of inmate calls.

Thank you for your inquiry.

John Ziegler
Inmate Telephone System Administrator

I emailed the MCSO to ask about what access the SA's had to the phone records - who owns them? - and also whether or not LE is notified automatically if something of concern is discovered while monitoring an inmate's activities. Got the reply:

The Maricopa County Sheriff's Office (MCSO) owns and manages all call logs and inmate telephone recordings related to its jails. In any one legal proceeding, attorneys for both the prosecution and the defense must obtain a subpoena for access to these items.

MCSO also assists other law enforcement agencies (at the local, county and federal levels) with any intelligence gathered from both the inmate telephone recordings and the live monitoring of inmate calls.

Thank you for your inquiry.

John Ziegler
Inmate Telephone System Administrator

This is what I was trying to say (badly): if there was anything of obvious interest, the MCSO would notify the detective ("assist other law enforcement agencies"), who would notify the prosecutor.

AZlawyer, you said it well...it just happened that I received the email @ same time you were commenting, so I thought I would post it.

Since ALV is not testifying, does that mean that JA's "proof" of abuse can't come in? They can't use ALV's testimony to prove she was a victim of domestic violence, can they? (transcripts or video of her testimony from the stand).

Will Jodi have to take the stand again to claim abuse?

Or wiill they be using new experts?

Since ALV is not testifying, does that mean that JA's "proof" of abuse can't come in? They can't use ALV's testimony to prove she was a victim of domestic violence, can they? (transcripts or video of her testimony from the stand).

Will Jodi have to take the stand again to claim abuse?

Or wiill they be using new experts?

They could use transcripts or video of previous testimony, yes, or maybe they will use that new expert they found after ALV imploded. As for Jodi, unless the judge just agrees to use transcripts/video to speed along the prior testimony from everyone, she might have to take the stand again.

They could use transcripts or video of previous testimony, yes, or maybe they will use that new expert they found after ALV imploded. As for Jodi, unless the judge just agrees to use transcripts/video to speed along the prior testimony from everyone, she might have to take the stand again.

OK--if they use video of ALV, how does Juan get to impeach her as a witness? Why is he stuck with whatever he asked her at the trial? It seems like it means that her lies will be played over again for the jury without Juan getting another chance to expose her as a liar.

Also--when you are allowed to use video for Jodi's testimony, how is that fair? If she had to take the stand again, she'd be tripped up in her lies because she would be forced to remember what she said before--isn't that important?

And who decides whether or not people will have to testify again as opposed to allowing the video in?

OK--if they use video of ALV, how does Juan get to impeach her as a witness? Why is he stuck with whatever he asked her at the trial? It seems like it means that her lies will be played over again for the jury without Juan getting another chance to expose her as a liar.

Also--when you are allowed to use video for Jodi's testimony, how is that fair? If she had to take the stand again, she'd be tripped up in her lies because she would be forced to remember what she said before--isn't that important?

And who decides whether or not people will have to testify again as opposed to allowing the video in?

Juan already impeached her. The jury will see both sides if they see the videotape.

As I said, the judge might make Jodi (and other available witnesses) testify in person rather than by video/transcript of prior testimony. It's up to the judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceciliaesquivel2000@yahoo