Jodi Arias Legal Question and Answer Thread *no discussion*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Once the trial is over do the jurors have to explain how/why they came to their decision?

and/or

Can the prosecution or defense contact them and ask questions about what made them reach their decision?

Thank you once again

Is it true that the judge decides if the defense gets to have a surrebuttal? I heard that Nurmi filed requesting one this weekend? I read above where you said that it would be if something came up that couldn't be handled in cross, (ie., the ring), but I think that the defense could very well have asked Dr. D about that at the time couldn't she?
The only thing I would think they would want to surrebutt is the diagnosis Dr. D gave because it totally ruled out the PTSD and I think they really need that to save her life. What do you think? Thanks for answering and your hard work!

Yes, the judge decides. Re: the ring, the defense could not have dealt with the issue with Dr. DeM, because she didn't know anything about it except whatever she was told. So if the defense really had some evidence favorable to Jodi in that regard (which they don't IMO), they would need some other witness for that.

I think the request for surrebuttal is to rebut the diagnosis of BPD, yes.

I have a question for the lawyers about the jury instructions. What are these and why would these come from the Defense? Wouldn't these come from The State who issued the charges or the Judge?

Jury instructions are given by the judge. Both the State and the defense suggest jury instructions to the judge, and they argue which instructions are appropriate under the applicable law.

Since the surrebuttal is an expert witness to refute Dr. deMarte's testimony of BPD, can the judge allow the surrebuttal but deny the new witness? (i just read on the main thread the name of the Psychologist that the defense is asking to bring in to refute Dr. deMarte's testimony.)

If she allows another expert, this case could go on for months!

If the judge allows surrebuttal on the issue of BPD, she could limit the defense to their current psych witness (Dr. S), unless for some reason he doesn't have the qualifications to address that diagnosis--I can't recall what his qualifications were.

On a related note to several questions above but with a twist.... I believe DeMarte provided a report to both parties prior to trial. If in that report she stated that she believed JA had BPD, then wouldn't the defense have needed to address that with their original experts? "And why in your expert opinion is this not some other disorder, such as BPD for example?" This is certainly not a surprise if they knew this was her finding. If her report did not include that then maybe it's a different story.

It is not an issue of surprise. But yes, I think the defense could have addressed it with Dr. Samuels.

I apologize if this has already been asked and answered :floorlaugh: but what is the difference between Self-Defense and Heat of the Moment (or whatever it is)?

I was thinking maybe they could bring up this new defense because of something that one of the witnesses, such as Dr. DeMarte, said. But they seem mutually exclusive to me.

The difference is that one is a defense and the other is not.

The heat of passion argument is NOT a new defense. The defense team is just requesting that, IN THE EVENT THAT THE JURY DISBELIEVES SELF-DEFENSE, they be allowed to consider whether the killing was manslaughter rather than murder. IMO the judge will have to give the jury the manslaughter instruction. She is required to give instructions on lesser included offenses if they make any sense whatsoever, and here, if the jury believes Jodi's story, really what she described was a lot closer to manslaughter than self-defense. Her story was that Travis assaulted her, she pointed what she thought was an unloaded gun at him, the gun accidentally discharged, and they then fought in a fog until he was dead.

At this late stage in the trial, how is it the defense can request to put a new witness on the stand, considering this case has been all over the international media? Unless that new witness lives in a cave on Mars, the odds of him not seeing any media coverage are slim to none and slim left town months ago. TIA

There is no requirement that the witnesses not have seen anything about the case.

This is crazy. The DT, realizing their two experts failed miserably are trying to bring in an 11th hour expert for a do-over under the guise of surrebuttal. What do you think? Will the judge allow this? At some point doesn't the judge have to put her foot down and say enough? They've had two experts and two chances to cross Demarte. How could they possibly get a surrebuttal? I see Juan has objected to it. Do you think she will sustain it?

I think she might tell them that they can bring Dr. S back to explain why she doesn't have BPD. But IMO if Dr. S is just going to say that she has a personality disorder "not otherwise specified," there isn't much point in doing that.

Doesn't the DT have to get prior approval for funds required to pay an expert witness, since the defendant is indigent?

If so, how could they "hire" an expert witness without the surrebuttal being granted?

Yes, they would have to get fast approval. I assume they have not actually hired the other expert yet.

Regarding the possibility of surrebuttal:

While I've been thinking that Dr. DeMarte's dx of BPD is not new info to the Defense, therefore they should not be allowed a surrebuttal...is the issue at hand is that the jury did not hear this dx until the State's rebuttal?

If so, how does the Defense expert Dr. Samuels dx of a nonspecified personality disorder (during Juan's cross exam) play into this issue of surrebuttal?

TIA!

See above. :)

Once the trial is over do the jurors have to explain how/why they came to their decision?

and/or

Can the prosecution or defense contact them and ask questions about what made them reach their decision?

Thank you once again

No, the jurors don't have to explain anything. But yes, the attorneys can ask.

Most Maricopa County judges will ask the jurors at the end of the trial whether or not they are willing to be contacted by counsel. If they decline, the judge instructs counsel not to contact those jurors who declined.

Thanks lawyers for all your responses!!!

Since the defense has named the new witness they want to call in sur rebuttal to refute BPD, psychologist Dr. Robert Geffner, and he is clearly a colleague of ALV AND from what some have posted looks like he has a rather bad record as a witness, doesn't it just seem like a waste of time and money since the State can/will clearly prove he is a "hired gun"??? Can you see any instance that would explain WHY the Judge would approve this? The defense had discovery of Dr. D's report/findings and Dr. S stated PD (NOS) how can they claim any of that is NEW??

Again thanks!

To the legal eagles: Is there any reason why the Prosecution doesn't simply show the jury the 'deft hands' video so they can see for themselves what it is, that it isn't *advertiser censored*, instead of just letting them wonder? I have to think they're dying of curiosity....

Odd ball question for our legal team!

If jodi had continued to represent herself and also to take the stand in her own defense, would she have asked and answered her own questions, given a dialog or just how would that work?

THANKS in advance for all answers in the thread! :drumroll:

Originally Posted by Sophieandme
Doesn't the DT have to get prior approval for funds required to pay an expert witness, since the defendant is indigent?

If so, how could they "hire" an expert witness without the surrebuttal being granted?

Yes, they would have to get fast approval. I assume they have not actually hired the other expert yet.

I hope I did this right. I really snipped your post for this one:

What kind of extension..trial-wise could we be looking at, will the Judge send the jury panel home for a week or two?

... Most Maricopa County judges will ask the jurors at the end of the trial whether or not they are willing to be contacted by counsel. If they decline, the judge instructs counsel not to contact those jurors who declined.

If the judge allows it, and some jurors are willing to be contacted, could the defense counsel use something they say to argue that there was juror misconduct and try to have the result overturned? Could counsel record any conversations with jurors? I'm assuming she'll be convicted but I wonder in a case where a defendant is acquitted can the prosecutors use juror misconduct as a reason to retry the case?

As a new trial watcher (Anthony case and this one) I am upset, alarmed, disillusioned, disappointed and disgusted with the behaviors of Baez and Nurmi. I find them to be vile and despictable. I realize there are honorable DTs but of these two, would you say they are the exception or the rule.

I was wondering if anyone had ever seen the holding cells at the Superior Court? If so, are the cells single cell or larger?

As a new trial watcher (Anthony case and this one) I am upset, alarmed, disillusioned, disappointed and disgusted with the behaviors of Baez and Nurmi. I find them to be vile and despictable. I realize there are honorable DTs but of these two, would you say they are the exception or the rule.

I defended Baez for a long time as an average and not unethical lawyer. Later, there were a couple of incidents that caused me to revise my opinion on the last part, but I can still say that approximately the first 47,832 things that everyone complained about were unfounded. I don't like his style, but apparently some people do, and some of those people are on juries.

I don't think Nurmi is vile or despicable. He is not the best at presentation either, but he is handling this case competently and making all the necessary arguments.

If the judge allows it, and some jurors are willing to be contacted, could the defense counsel use something they say to argue that there was juror misconduct and try to have the result overturned? Could counsel record any conversations with jurors? I'm assuming she'll be convicted but I wonder in a case where a defendant is acquitted can the prosecutors use juror misconduct as a reason to retry the case?

Yes, that could happen. There is a rule of criminal procedure in AZ (R 24.1(c)) that lists the types of juror misconduct that can lead to a new trial:

(i) Receiving evidence not properly admitted during the trial or the aggravation or penalty hearing;

(ii) Deciding the verdict by lot;

(iii) Perjuring himself or herself or willfully failing to respond fully to a direct question posed during the voir dire examination;

(iv) Receiving a bribe or pledging his or her vote in any other way;

(v) Becoming intoxicated during the course of the deliberations; or

(vi) Conversing before the verdict with any interested party about the outcome of the case.

In AZ, normally one party can record a conversation without the knowledge of the other party. Attorneys, however, are required by the State Bar to announce their intent to record a conversation before doing so.

I hope I did this right. I really snipped your post for this one:

What kind of extension..trial-wise could we be looking at, will the Judge send the jury panel home for a week or two?

I doubt it. I think the issue will be decided today. (Maybe it already has been decided--I haven't checked the other threads yet.)

Odd ball question for our legal team!

If jodi had continued to represent herself and also to take the stand in her own defense, would she have asked and answered her own questions, given a dialog or just how would that work?

THANKS in advance for all answers in the thread! :drumroll:

Most likely, her advisory counsel (Nurmi) would have asked the questions.

To the legal eagles: Is there any reason why the Prosecution doesn't simply show the jury the 'deft hands' video so they can see for themselves what it is, that it isn't *advertiser censored*, instead of just letting them wonder? I have to think they're dying of curiosity....

It's only a minute or so long--I think it would be a good idea.

Will deliberations go late into the night Friday night May 3rd? Are they going to deliberate over the weekend?? Or will they end at 5p Friday and return on Monday? I ask b/c someone mentioned that there is no security available and the jury would be sent home evenings and weekends?

In the threads, there was a link to an attorney website and a description of the process for what happens after the jury verdict on the first degree murder charge. Kind of an algorithm-- "If second degree, then this, if not guilty then this, if guilty of first degree then this." I'm sorry-- I can't find the link now-- needle in a haystack!

Anyway, my question has to do with what this atty described as an intermediate deliberation step, if they find JA guilty, and before the penalty phase. It was described as an "aggravation" verdict, determining if the murder involved cruelty. If I understood this correctly, the "cruelty" finding determined if the penalty phase was to occur (death vs life in prison).

I'd not heard of this "cruelty" deliberation phase before. Does it occur directly after a finding of guilt? ie, does the jury "keep on" deliberating after finding guilt, and deliver both the guilty verdict and the verdict on "cruelty" at the same time? Do they deliver the guilty verdict (if found guilty), the verdict is read in court, and THEN they immediately go back to deliberate on cruelty? Does the judge schedule them to return a few days or a week or 2 later to deliberate about cruelty? What is the typical interval for the trial verdict to the "aggravation/ cruelty" deliberation? And is there any additional testimony that would precede the cruelty deliberations? (like there is in penalty phase)

Third question-- how long would you think the interval will be if there is a penalty phase, from the trial verdict? A few days? Will the defense say they need "a lot of time" to prepare for the penalty phase, or are they expected to be "ready to go" within a day or 2 of a trial verdict? How long would you anticipate penalty phase testimony to go? A few hours, or many days?

Thank you in advance! I hope I explained my questions clearly enough!

I'm surprised the judge allowed the "recreation" of the closet/gun situation 5 years after the fact with other people living in the house and myriad potential changes to the shelving system. Verified attorneys, no experts to support this? What do you think?

Will deliberations go late into the night Friday night May 3rd? Are they going to deliberate over the weekend?? Or will they end at 5p Friday and return on Monday? I ask b/c someone mentioned that there is no security available and the jury would be sent home evenings and weekends?

Yeah, I doubt they would be allowed to stay after security leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alblake