Jodi Arias Trial Discussion #9 *may contain graphic and adult content*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to following a trial this closely. Two questions:

1. What's the outline for a trial like this. Prosecutors present case and rest. Defense presents case and rests. Then what should be expect?

2. People are talking about Juan being able to ask leading questions. Was the defense able to ask leading questions during Juan's case? I didn't notice. Is this standard?

Yes they have their CIC (case in chief) then they will rest. The defense in the state's case asked leading questions. The same thing happens when it is the DTs CIC...then it flops to state being allowed to ask leading questions.

There is a vast difference in leading questions from direct questions.

imo

Just wanted to say Hi to all the lurkers here with us today! Join in our conversation - let us know what you are thinking about the trial so far. . . .

Didn't JA admit that her phone was not working. That she was on her way to Utah and not Arizona. So how are they to convince the judge that TA knew she was coming if he never received a call from her? No one knows how she got in (unless she used the doggie door) and obviously his roommates did not know she had been there. The person who could confirm she was invited is dead. jmo

Just got this email:

Date: January 17, 2013, 1:51:19 PM EST
Subject: "48 HOURS" INTERVIEWS WITH JODI ARIAS NOW BEING USED IN HER DEATH PENALTY TRIAL

http://bit.ly/Va2xbJ

Jan. 17, 2012

JODI ARIAS TOLD “48 HOURS” ABOUT FORBIDDEN SEX, INTIMATE MOMENTS CAUGHT ON CAMERA AND MURDER – NOW HER WORDS ARE EVIDENCE IN HER LIFE-AND-DEATH TRIAL

“48 HOURS: PICTURE PERFECT – THE TRIAL OF JODI ARIAS”

Saturday, Jan. 19, 2013

Accused killer Jodi Arias talked to 48 HOURS shortly after being arrested in 2008 for murdering her boyfriend, Travis Alexander, and now in a dramatic trial, Arias’ conversation is back to haunt her. Portions of her two interviews with 48 HOURS recounting the night Alexander died in 2008, their illicit sexual relations and her penchant for capturing those moments with her camera, are now being used in her death penalty trial.

“I’ve been sitting a lot in my cell thinking, ‘what a waste,’ you know? I did have my whole future ahead of me,” says Arias, in a story 48 HOURS has been covering for four years. “I had everything to lose and nothing to gain if I killed Travis. I loved him and still love him.”

Travis Alexander, a businessman, was savagely murdered in his home and was found a week later when worried friends called police.

Arias first told 48 HOURS that after another of their sexual encounters they were the victims of a home invasion and two people dressed in black armed with a knife and a gun attacked them. Alexander was stabbed and on the floor. She ran, she says, never telling anyone about what happened in the house that day. She was sure he was alive when she fled the house.

“It was the scariest experience of my life,” Arias says in the interview with 48 HOURS: “Picture Perfect – The Trial of Jodi Arias” to be broadcast Saturday, Jan. 19, 2013 (10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. “It was just so unreal. It was like a movie unfolding. Like a horrible movie.”

At trial, her attorneys say Arias lied, and that she actually killed Alexander in self-defense because she feared she would be killed first. Alexander, Arias claims, had been abusive.

The prosecution and the defense both plan on playing the 2008 48 HOURS interviews as evidence for the jury as they make their cases in the death of Travis Alexander.

Alexander was a successful businessman living in Mesa, Ariz., at the time he met Arias. She was an aspiring photographer who was raised in Northern California. He was a devout Mormon, which meant premarital sex was forbidden. She became a Mormon, began introducing herself as his girlfriend and frequently photographed their sexual encounters.

But there were other women, friends say. Arias found out about the others and they broke up, she says, adding they remained friends. It was after one of their sexual liaisons that Alexander was murdered, raising the question of whether she killed him in a jealous rage or if there really were intruders. Police say all evidence points to Arias, including images from a digital camera found in Alexander’s washing machine.

“It was a true whodunit, right from the beginning,” Detective Esteban Flores tells 48 HOURS. “We had no idea.”

Correspondent Maureen Maher and the 48 HOURS team piece together the tumultuous relationship between Arias and Alexander, as well as the investigation into the murder, using interviews with Arias, Alexander’s friends, police and new trial footage. “Picture Perfect – The Trial of Jodi Arias” is produced by Josh Gelman and Jonathan Leach. Al Briganti is the executive editor. Susan Zirinsky is the senior executive producer.

Follow 48 HOURS on Facebook and Twitter.

###

Press Contact: Richard Huff

Thank You David

I am watching now

Just got this email:

Date: January 17, 2013, 1:51:19 PM EST
Subject: "48 HOURS" INTERVIEWS WITH JODI ARIAS NOW BEING USED IN HER DEATH PENALTY TRIAL

http://bit.ly/Va2xbJ

Jan. 17, 2012

JODI ARIAS TOLD “48 HOURS” ABOUT FORBIDDEN SEX, INTIMATE MOMENTS CAUGHT ON CAMERA AND MURDER – NOW HER WORDS ARE EVIDENCE IN HER LIFE-AND-DEATH TRIAL

“48 HOURS: PICTURE PERFECT – THE TRIAL OF JODI ARIAS”

Saturday, Jan. 19, 2013

Accused killer Jodi Arias talked to 48 HOURS shortly after being arrested in 2008 for murdering her boyfriend, Travis Alexander, and now in a dramatic trial, Arias’ conversation is back to haunt her. Portions of her two interviews with 48 HOURS recounting the night Alexander died in 2008, their illicit sexual relations and her penchant for capturing those moments with her camera, are now being used in her death penalty trial.

“I’ve been sitting a lot in my cell thinking, ‘what a waste,’ you know? I did have my whole future ahead of me,” says Arias, in a story 48 HOURS has been covering for four years. “I had everything to lose and nothing to gain if I killed Travis. I loved him and still love him.”

Travis Alexander, a businessman, was savagely murdered in his home and was found a week later when worried friends called police.

Arias first told 48 HOURS that after another of their sexual encounters they were the victims of a home invasion and two people dressed in black armed with a knife and a gun attacked them. Alexander was stabbed and on the floor. She ran, she says, never telling anyone about what happened in the house that day. She was sure he was alive when she fled the house.

“It was the scariest experience of my life,” Arias says in the interview with 48 HOURS: “Picture Perfect – The Trial of Jodi Arias” to be broadcast Saturday, Jan. 19, 2013 (10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. “It was just so unreal. It was like a movie unfolding. Like a horrible movie.”

At trial, her attorneys say Arias lied, and that she actually killed Alexander in self-defense because she feared she would be killed first. Alexander, Arias claims, had been abusive.

The prosecution and the defense both plan on playing the 2008 48 HOURS interviews as evidence for the jury as they make their cases in the death of Travis Alexander.

Alexander was a successful businessman living in Mesa, Ariz., at the time he met Arias. She was an aspiring photographer who was raised in Northern California. He was a devout Mormon, which meant premarital sex was forbidden. She became a Mormon, began introducing herself as his girlfriend and frequently photographed their sexual encounters.

But there were other women, friends say. Arias found out about the others and they broke up, she says, adding they remained friends. It was after one of their sexual liaisons that Alexander was murdered, raising the question of whether she killed him in a jealous rage or if there really were intruders. Police say all evidence points to Arias, including images from a digital camera found in Alexander’s washing machine.

“It was a true whodunit, right from the beginning,” Detective Esteban Flores tells 48 HOURS. “We had no idea.”

Correspondent Maureen Maher and the 48 HOURS team piece together the tumultuous relationship between Arias and Alexander, as well as the investigation into the murder, using interviews with Arias, Alexander’s friends, police and new trial footage. “Picture Perfect – The Trial of Jodi Arias” is produced by Josh Gelman and Jonathan Leach. Al Briganti is the executive editor. Susan Zirinsky is the senior executive producer.

Follow 48 HOURS on Facebook and Twitter.

###

Press Contact: Richard Huff
They took it down so they could play it on TV this Saturday? Or is this a new one?

Agreed. But I think it's highly suspicious that days (literally DAYS) before Travis was killed the same caliber gun that was used to kill Travis was reported stolen by Jodi's grandparents (who she happened to be living with).

Jurors tend to not buy into coincidences. They think everything that happened has a purposeful intent.

IMO

I'm not convinced he knew she was coming to his house that night. I think she showed up and surprised him.

The thing that makes me think differently is.... the State never showed evidence that she wasn't invited. Even in the States arguement just now, he never said that she was uninvited.
I'm assuming (but don't think that we have seen it) that the phone records or text messages may show more and give us answers. If they don't, I would question why the State didn't clarify it.
Seriously though... I can't believe they rested today. After the questions yesterday, about the roomates, I think the State should have called them to the stand to put some of the jurors minds at ease. Seems really odd.

So last night I was watching the 48 Hours special "Picture Perfect" about JA.
I couldn't help but notice that Ryan Burns has put on a LOT of weight since they met in 2008. He is almost unrecognizable.

I didn't think he looked like her "type" but he was very good looking back then.

can't wait for PA'S rebuttal. after DA'S case. should be interesting.

We never saw any text messages . . . . I guess I expected to see some of those 82K . . .. maybe it was because the technology didn't exist to obtain them until 2010?

The defense can't just start throwing things in to support Jodi. They have to turn anything they find over to the state, there might be an evidentiary hearing, and the prosecution will have the ability to move it not be admitted (especially this late in the game). There are some courts that wouldn't allow evidence (depending on what it is) in anymore (after trial start) but more allowances are usually afforded DP trials.

Now had the judge forced the defense ahead regardless of schedules and maybe them not being prepared to begin their CIC today it WOULD be grounds for a later appeal. MOO

Thanks that helps me. Did Ijust hear right, that the defense asked the judge for a directed verdict? And if the judge said guilty, I guess JA would just get LWOP?

Awwwww....did someone get his feelings hurt because we all had his number? Cry me a freaking river.

Guess Baez shoulda supported the gag order and stayed off the airwaves. LOL I remember Simms commenting she was the one with the bad hair. Truth be told it was and commented on greatly. On many boards.

DT argues that JA was invited into the home, hence there could be no premeditated murder on motion to dismiss. The stage was set, this manipulating woman made herself available to him at all times. There were 2 calls from TA to JA between May 28 and 14 from JA to TA, these calls and then all the evidence/circumstances/situations in between scream premeditation.

Agreed. Circumstantial evidence has put many people in jail.

In the Scott Peterson trial, there is very little, if any, direct evidence connecting Peterson to the murder of his wife and unborn child. Therefore, the prosecution is attempting to show that the circumstances surrounding her death and the disposal of her body can be linked to only her husband.

Here's a link to a good article about CE. When the facts cannot be proven directly:

http://crime.about.com/od/current/a/scott040718.htm

In fact way more defendants have been convicted on CE than direct evidence cases. It is sound because it paints a clear picture. Not all of the picture puzzle has to be seen .......just enough that in the photo you know it is the defendant.

All five cases Ive been on were mostly CE cases..............very strong evidence.

Can somoneet me kniw how male defense is dressed? I have gotten obsessed now

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

FYI -- from an insider -- They took it down for ratings during the rebroadcast. Had nothing to do with the jury or the trial. It will be back up again later.

I agree... and it was not even used in the prosecution's case iirc (only alluded to by the defense)

JMO, said to relieve my stress.

No doubt in my mind, Travis didn't want Jodi there that night. She just sprang it on him, even the way she tells it. He needed to get ready for his trip. He was cleaning his house and preparing to go on an exciting trip. When she got there, he was more interested in watching some silly nonsense videos, and she felt ignored. It was all in her mind that he wanted her and her nasty sex! JMO

The defense can't pull any suprises at this point. All witnesses and evidence should be submitted before trial. If there is a new witness, the judge has to give the prosecutor a chance to depose them and then determine if the witness can even testify. It would have to be a really good witness to try to pull that off. And, they've had 4 years to put a case together.

I'm not worried at this time about any suprises. The prosecutor would have a field day, and the judge would be none too happy!

JMHO

Mel

I dont know. I am really worried that the DEFNESE will just not call any witnesses and say they changed their mind because the state has not proved she killed him.

The defense can say that Jodi was so scared of LE that she made up all the stories because she was afraid of them.

I just wish the state would have called a lot more witnesses to show that people thought she was a nut case. The more people that show she had the capability to do this.

Also show that she visited the other guy the day after murder. That is critical.

I think the defense is not going to call hardly anyone to prevent the state from doing rebuttal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1sw33t1nsan1ty