Joe Paterno's Family Releases It's Own Report critical of Freeh Report

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
For a police investigation, they would almost have to, especially when they didn't have the victim.

You are supposing Paterno would expect that. My belief is that he figured his involvement was finished; if they needed anyone's statement, it would be McQueary. We are both guessing at what Paterno may or may not have expected to happen.

According to both Paterno and McQueary, it was something of a sexual nature. Paterno said that was his impression in his grand jury testimony.

Again from the e-mail, and looking at 1998 as a model, it would not end his knowledge. Even in 1998, he was being kept informed, even if he wasn't aware of the details. He certainly wasn't a witness to that incident.
BBM

Also speculation. We don't know what Curley told Paterno they were going to do next. We know that Paterno followed up with McQueary, but we have no documentation of what Paterno thought was being done after Curley proposed changing the original plan to Schultz and Spanier. One can certainly conclude, as Freeh did, that Paterno knew nothing was to be done, but until we know more, it is equally valid to suppose that Paterno assumed they took care of it.

As I've said, I think there is a level of culpability in 2001, but I'd question if it rises to the level Freeh suggested. That Freeh Report did not make the case that it did. The other shoe may drop, however.

I still wouldn't be surprised if one of the three would flip.

That is a very good possibility, if there is something sinister to flip to. I still wonder if what they wrote in email between them isn't pretty much what occurred. Stupid optimism rather than evil intent. Still wrong, but nothing that one participant could use against his "co-conspirators."

Scott Paterno fires back at Penn State trustee Frazier

Scott Paterno, the outspoken son of former Penn State football coach Joe Paterno and the family’s spokesman, said Penn State trustee Ken Frazier missed the mark Thursday in his criticism of the Paterno family report, meant to counter the Freeh report.

Hours after Penn State trustee Ken Frazier bashed critics of the Freeh report and chided a board candidate for “attempting to rewrite history,” Scott Paterno issued a statement on the website paterno.com upbraiding Frazier for his approach as well as for shirking his responsibility as a board member “in finding the full truth.”...........

Frazier, the CEO of Merck, said the Freeh report was valid, but called the Paterno family report, which was crafted by former Pennsylvania Gov. Dick Thornburgh and sex abuse expert Jim Clemente, “just that — a report.”...........

“Mr. Frazier is certainly welcome to his personal opinion, but in his capacity as a member of the (b)oard of (t)rustees, he should be more concerned with finding the full truth than with defending a clearly flawed report.

“It has been and remains our hope that the (b)oard of (t)rustees, led by Mr. Frazier’s committee, would examine both reports as well as others. As we have said from the beginning, our team stands ready to answer any questions — an opportunity that we have been denied by the (b)oard of (t)rustees since November of 2011.

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2013/03/...-back-at-penn.html#wgt=rcntnews#storylink=cpy

Dick Thornburgh wants Freeh report investigation files open

“This will make it easier for everyone to judge the accuracy and thoroughness of his work,” Thornburgh said in a statement Friday released through a Paterno family spokeswoman. “The flaws of the Freeh report cannot be dismissed or overlooked.

“They are significant and numerous and must be addressed. This case will not be resolved until the record is set straight.”

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2013/03/...o-report.html#storylink=botnext#storylink=cpy

The only real value of the Freeh Report is in internal to Penn State and the NCAA. It does not constitute legal proof for either criminal or civil action against Paterno. The information on which Freeh reached his conclusions may create legal proof, however.

You have a point, Steely Dan.

A Freeh Report Cheat Sheet for Bob Costas

http://www.statecollege.com/news/columns/a-freeh-report-cheat-sheet-for-bob-costas-1288603/

I was excited to hear that broadcaster and sports writer Bob Costas is taking another look at the Freeh Report, which he will broadcast in a few months. Costas already won an emmy for his impromptu interview with Jerry Sandusky in November 2011........

To get Costas started on his investigation into THE investigation, here’s a list of the top three questions that need to be asked about about the Freeh Report.

Who’s Looking at The Second Mile and other groups?

The real issue is how highly-trained professionals from The Second Mile and both state and local children’s services agencies failed to recognize the pedophile in their midst.

How was Sandusky repeatedly approved to take in foster children, some of whom he later adopted? How was he allowed to establish a successful children’s charity that, while providing valuable services to hundreds of children, acted as a victim factory? How did the psychologists and social workers who knew him from The Second Mile not recognize him as a pedophile?

........more...........

Good Lord....what an offensive move by this family towards the victims of this case!

Paterno was not the bumbling old man of another generation. He obviously was bright and ran a great football program for many years. Some might call him a genius. He was large and in charge. He spent day after day with Sandusky, the same man who absolutely creeps me out. There is no way Paterno didn't know about Sandusky and his questionable behavior. I mean....Sandusky took kids on these football trips and let them stay in his room? Are you kidding me? This is professional behavior? And Paterno thought that was ok.
You would have to be living on a different planet to think that's a good thing.

This family should be finding ways to spend their resources to help the victims of abuse. They would have a better chance of becoming heroes once again. Shame on them.

Guess in a way I am happy this is same old same old. Nothing they do is going to change his legacy. What do they think the powers that be are going to dust off the statue and put it back up? Of course not it is about "compensatory damages". Paterno and family fatigue.

One thing that they added was that the NCAA "coerced" PSU to accept the sanctions and the old chestnut that the BoT didn't authorize the sanctions.

Under the NCAA (and the BoT) rules, these types of discussions are specifically permitted. The organization's representatives can point out the possibility of a trial if some agreement is not reached. This is similar to a plea deal in a criminal case.

The BoT rules, at the time, gave the president full ability to sign contracts, but the question is, why sue the NCAA if you think the BoT violated some rules.

One thing that they added was that the NCAA "coerced" PSU to accept the sanctions and the old chestnut that the BoT didn't authorize the sanctions.

Under the NCAA (and the BoT) rules, these types of discussions are specifically permitted. The organization's representatives can point out the possibility of a trial if some agreement is not reached. This is similar to a plea deal in a criminal case.

The BoT rules, at the time, gave the president full ability to sign contracts, but the question is, why sue the NCAA if you think the BoT violated some rules.

The Paterno family has to give up the ghost that they represent Penn State don't ya think?

JP said 'he should have done more' acknowledging he played a part in the Sandusky problem. The Paterno family can posture all they want, file all the lawsuits they want. But they can NOT speak for the deceased Joe Paterno.

The Paterno family has to give up the ghost that they represent Penn State don't ya think?

JP said 'he should have done more' acknowledging he played a part in the Sandusky problem. The Paterno family can posture all they want, file all the lawsuits they want. But they can NOT speak for the deceased Joe Paterno.

The problem is, they are looking like a group that will go to any extent to "protect Joe," which ties in to the "bad press" argument Freeh made. You want to make it look like football reigns supreme at PSU? Sue the NCAA for sanctions after a winning season.

The problem is, they are looking like a group that will go to any extent to "protect Joe," which ties in to the "bad press" argument Freeh made. You want to make it look like football reigns supreme at PSU? Sue the NCAA for sanctions after a winning season.

Maybe you hit the nail on the head JJ - a WINNING SEASON w/o JoPA. Penn State and Penn State Football accepted the punishment. They have moved on.

The question is why can't the family. Are they looking to rewrite the end of his story to what end?

No law suit is going to change public opinion about JP.

Is it to get his win/loss record restored or is it a financial gain?

Maybe you hit the nail on the head JJ - a WINNING SEASON w/o JoPA. Penn State and Penn State Football accepted the punishment. They have moved on.

The question is why can't the family. Are they looking to rewrite the end of his story to what end?

No law suit is going to change public opinion about JP.

Is it to get his win/loss record restored or is it a financial gain?

They claim it isn't about either, and I don't think Sue is on her way to the poor house.

Ironically, I'n one of those people that thinks that Paterno's level of culpability is much lower than Curley, Spanier and Schultz and that Freeh overreached on some of his conclusions. I still think the NCAA followed the rules in handling the sanctions and that there was enough evidence, without Paterno, to impose them.

Paterno family lawsuit vs the NCAA:

http://www.paterno.com/Media-Release/2013-05-29.aspx#.UafaGSDD8qQ

Personally, I'd just as soon PSU serve out the sanctions and get them over with. I can understand the Paterno family wanting to clear Joe's name, and would like to see that happen. But I can't imagine what evidence I would accept as clearing him, never mind what anyone else would accept. I just don't think it's possible.

Paterno family lawsuit vs the NCAA:

http://www.paterno.com/Media-Release/2013-05-29.aspx#.UafaGSDD8qQ

Personally, I'd just as soon PSU serve out the sanctions and get them over with. I can understand the Paterno family wanting to clear Joe's name, and would like to see that happen. But I can't imagine what evidence I would accept as clearing him, never mind what anyone else would accept. I just don't think it's possible.

I found five statements of the rules in the first five pages of the filing. This one is not going anyplace, even if they manage to show standing.

The arrogance of the Paterno's is shameful. They can all go suck on a football until it disappears, that will NOT change the facts: the victims were still raped, their familiar knew something was wrong and did sh1111t about it.

I'm not involved personally but looking from the outside, all these efforts to turn back to the past seem misguided and futile, by the Paternos and his legacy supporters. To me, it just never lets the Sandusky matter get resolved, which AFAIC was accomplished with his trial and conviction. I'm waiting for the other 3 to go to trial then I am finished with this case, unless more charges are made.

The school needs to move forward, not backward, the past is never going to return. As shown in a post I made recently, most of the faculty and students are going on with their work and this stuff is on the sideline and immaterial to them.

These actions by the Paternos and certain BOT members just drag the school down and keeps them from being very proud of getting through the trial, making needed changes in staff and procedures and getting the football team back to winning. And what is sad, all these efforts I don't think are going to change anything, just cause more bad feelings.

I'll say this for Bowden at FSU (and I don't like FSU; my son went to Auburn, a big rival)....he took his medicine when it came and did not run around protesting and trying to get his records back and I have respected him for that. I have a feeling that if Paterno had lived, he would have done the same. Other people's agendas are hurting his reputation more than they are helping.

All IMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fruit
Back