OR Jonathan Stockle 18 and Penny Lyles, 15 - On the Run from Threats/Abuse

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
When I was a teenager, long ago, I finally got brave enough to tell my school counselors about the abuse at my house. They called the cops. The cops said there was nothing they could do, but that they had notified my parents that I had filed a complaint. They told me to go home. I knew what would be waiting for me there, once my abusers knew I finally told the truth and tried to get help. So I ran away, and never went back. (That was decades ago and I've had an incredible and blessed life filled with so much love and chosen family.)

I frequently think about this quote by the author Dorothy Allison: "She was one of them, one of those legendary women who ran away. A witch queen, a warrior maiden, a mother with a canvas suitcase, a daughter with broken bones. Women run away because they must. I ran because if I had not, I would have died."

Run kids run! Find somewhere safe and loving and never go back. There's a better world out there full of people who will love and support you.

eta: the comments from neighbors and acquaintances of this father on the fb post by Clatsop County sheriff’s office are illuminating to say the least
There's nothing about this on that Facebook page. Maybe it was taken down?

This sounds like a very bizarre, tragic story from top to bottom. Nobody seems to live with any of their parents or other relatives.

Nancy Grace's Thursday Nov 30, 2023 Podcast

1. Ryan Lyles (PL's Dad) - I've never abused my children. I dote on "my girls". I've always given them anything they want. He said he bought JS a truck when his suv broke down.
2. NG reads the threatening texts that RL sent Wayne Stockle (Jonathan's dad). RL said uh, yeah, not my finest work but I was mad.
3. PL and NG talk. Abuse descriptions of what RL and sometimes mom does to PL and her bro and sister. No sexual abuse although there is lap sitting and crude comments about her body. Says dad is a felon with lots of guns in the safe that are all in her moms name.
4. Day of runaway. PL went to her counselor and they called police. They locked the door and didn't allow RL inside. They (LE and School Officials) allowed her to leave out the back door with a friend.
5. Meanwhile, Jonathan got on the phone line (I have to relisten but the gist is that). Mom and Dad Lyles showed up at school but didn't allow them inside. Jonathan was outside with friends after school and PL's mom had a handgun with her.
I forget how but JS ended up running through the woods after his shoes flew off while running to get away from RL who he believed was going to shoot him.
6. PL has audio and pictures of alleged abuse against her sister.
7. NG gets RL back on the line to see if he would press charges against JS. He said no, he just wants his "little girl home".
8. Wayne Stockle, JS's dad came on the line and pleads for everything to just stop. He now has a restraining order against WL.
9. PL got back on and said she'd never ever go back home. She wants a "normal" life.

I know there's a lot more but...thats why I recall.

The kids sound young but they are. I wish there was some way to help them.

The law is not on PL and JS's side. Even if she's removed from her father's custody, JS could still be arrested for any number of charges from corrupting a minor to kidnapping to possibly statutory rape. PL could be taken from his side and returned to her father or to a foster home. None of this is likely to end well for them. Hopefully PL has a supportive relative to take her in while this is sorted out.

When I was a teenager, long ago, I finally got brave enough to tell my school counselors about the abuse at my house. They called the cops. The cops said there was nothing they could do, but that they had notified my parents that I had filed a complaint. They told me to go home. I knew what would be waiting for me there, once my abusers knew I finally told the truth and tried to get help. So I ran away, and never went back.
I'm sorry you had to go through that. I was in the same boat. But my mom told everyone it was my behavior that was the issue. I eventually completely stayed away by 16.
Now I'm back 35 years later, trying to take care of her. I still have a little bit of unresolved resentment that I haven't been able to completely dash away. I still listen to the emotional abuse on her bad days but it's not like when I was a child. And now she can't catch up to me anymore! LOL
I think that's why i'm so taken with this case.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

Penny says she has proof of the abuse; she said so in the video with Nancy Grace I believe (correct me if I’m wrong!). Why would she say she has evidence of the abuse if it was all a lie? I mean, I know she’s 15, but she’s on Nancy Grace. someone is likely going to follow up and ask for the proof.

I can understand being concerned about your 15 year old daughter dating an 18 year old, but they’re both still in high school which makes things different circumstantially IMO. I know the law says differently <modsnip: There is no known fact to substantiate that particular speculation>, but it’s not like this was someone who was out of high school. And concern doesn’t mean you get to threaten to shoot him over it. There’s no evidence that Johnathon is abusing Penny, but there is evidence that Dad is acting unhinged and has before (he was part of January 6). Maybe it’s just because I’ve been in this situation, but I don’t think it’s fair to completely dismiss what Penny, Johnathon, and Johnathon’s parents have to say in all this. Again, I understand the concern - I wouldn’t necessarily want one of my younger teenage sisters dating an 18 year old, even if he was still in high school - but, I don’t think this case is as simple as “I don’t want you to separate me from my boyfriend”, and I don’t think it’s fair to dismiss all of this and call Penny manipulative just because she is young. JMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>
He was living with them, so the parents didn't have an issue with their relationship before. Teenagers are hard and do dumb things sometimes. But, I know that my teens knew that when they were in trouble, they weren't in any physical danger. Apparently what was shown to the school counselor made them worried for PL's safety enough to allow her to sneak out the back instead of facing her father. People in the community have been posting online about his "known" anger issues. Until I am certain that she is not in any physical danger, I sincerely hope she stays somewhere safe. She is not the only child to claim physical and mental abuse by him. Especially if she actually does have video evidence of the abuse.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed> Per the boy's father on Nancy Grace, whatever was said to his father from the girl's dad was significant enough to get a restraining order issued. That gives a good indication he's not handling his "concerns" appropriately. Also, why didn't he have these concerns you speak of when he let this boy live with his daughter? You also think this 15 year old isn't intelligent enough to realize that if she's speaking to serious allegations on a national broadcast (photos/proof of abuse) she'll need proof.l, but she's also a mastermind capable to manipulate a trained counselor into letting her run away?

It would be great if a pro bono family law firm could explore emancipation with her. That would free her from the father's actions.
According to the Clatsop County government FAQ page regarding juveniles, a minor must be between the ages of 16 and 18 to be considered for emancipation (see link below under How Do I Become Emancipated?)
Disclaimer: IANAL

Two Oregon teens who fled home earlier this month after alleged abuse have turned themselves in.

Penny Lyles, 15, and Jonathan Stockle, 18, turned themselves into Warwick police in New York and are currently getting assistance with their safety issues. Blaise Gomez with News 12 told CrimeOnline that Orange County social services will investigate the allegations of abuse.

Jonathan Stockle, as of Monday, has not been charged.

I felt they were in NY, they contacted a NY reporter and have family ties to NY. I'm glad they are getting assistance and I Don't want to see either one of them in trouble. Scared kids and from what I've read, they should be. Praying for a great outcome for them. ALL IMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SapphireGem
Back