Josh allegedly visits strip club after wife disappearance?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am going to whole heartedly agree with you!!! I personally have one of these in my family and after 30+ years, I know a anti-social, sociopath instantly. And Josh is one. His happiness is all that "really" matters...

This doesn't mean that he isn't bipolar as well.

snipped respectfully,

OK. Let's just assume you are 100% correct.

In my defense, I have been looking at Tooele County as the area of comparison because that is where POI said he went camping.

My error. West Valley City is actually in Salt Lake County. If you compare Stanislaus County with Tooele County, however, it might be a different hill of beans, because right off, on the Modesto page of Wikipedia, it states,
You won't find a similar economy for Tooele County, AFAIK.

I still think it's an unfair comparison, but I concede you are probably correct on all of the statistical facts and I was thinking Laci wasn't found there (in Modesto) either, and was thinking more of the statewide resources.

What does Tooele County's economy or resources have to do with finding Susan? Nothing!

It is West Valley City Police Department who are handling Susan's missing person case, (with suspicious criminal undertones) -- NOT Tooele County Law Enforcement.

Is anyone foolish enough to believe that known flagrant LIAR Joshua Powell is going to specify the location of Susan's dead body? And it's right where he *CLAIMS* he went camping? _ Nonsense!

Even IF Susan *might* be buried in Tooele County, it's NOT Tooele County who is financially responsible for searching for her.

It is presumed Susan was murdered in West Valley City. It's the West Valley City and Salt Lake County who are responsible for all expenses related to finding Susan - and trying Josh. Tooele County has absolutely no financial responsibility for anything!

Laci was presumed murdered in Stanislaus County -- Her body was found in Contra Costa County. Scott was tried in San Mateo County -- and Stanislaus County footed the bill for it all. That's generally the way it works.

So why don't we compare the economy of Salt Lake County to Stanislaus County then, huh? _ :D _ I think I know which County's the wealthiest.

That wasn't my initial point, anyway.

I would like to know why the FRIENDS and FAMILY and the LDS Church and WVC PD are NOT a bit interested in ORGANIZING SEARCHES -- and RAISING the REWARD for Susan -- Just like Californians did for Laci.

It's a pitiful, unforgivable shame that they're not! :furious:

What does Tooele County's economy or resources have to do with finding Susan? Nothing!

It is West Valley City Police Department who are handling Susan's missing person case, (with suspicious criminal undertones) -- NOT Tooele County Law Enforcement.

Is anyone foolish enough to believe that known flagrant LIAR Joshua Powell is going to specify the location of Susan's dead body? And it's right where he *CLAIMS* he went camping? _ Nonsense!

Even IF Susan *might* be buried in Tooele County, it's NOT Tooele County who is financially responsible for searching for her.

It is presumed Susan was murdered in West Valley City. It's the West Valley City and Salt Lake County who are responsible for all expenses related to finding Susan - and trying Josh. Tooele County has absolutely no financial responsibility for anything!

Laci was presumed murdered in Stanislaus County -- Her body was found in Contra Costa County. Scott was tried in San Mateo County -- and Stanislaus County footed the bill for it all. That's generally the way it works.

So why don't we compare the economy of Salt Lake County to Stanislaus County then, huh? _ :D _ I think I know which County's the wealthiest.

That wasn't my initial point, anyway.

I would like to know why the FRIENDS and FAMILY and the LDS Church and WVC PD are NOT a bit interested in ORGANIZING SEARCHES -- and RAISING the REWARD for Susan -- Just like Californians did for Laci.

It's a pitiful, unforgivable shame that they're not! :furious:

There have been a lot of searches by law enforcement in conjunction with mine owning companies in Tooele County which have been reported to me personally by someone who witnessed these searches and who was told to stay out of the area. Another person reported seeing a very large gathering of search and rescue and law enforcement vehicles very early one morning and they were forced to turn around because the road out to the search area was blocked off. This person said, as he was turning around, they began driving out of the assembly area and headed out into the desert.

I believe the reason large scale public search efforts have not been organized is because it's usually THE FAMILY who organizes these efforts or at least who contacts various search and rescue organizations to request their assistance.

So, it is fair to say law enforcement has been searching for Susan's body but the family et all have not.

I think, due to the area where law enforcement believes Susan's body was disposed of, interference from the public would not be tolerated because they believe it is located on private property and the property owners do NOT want the public wandering around on their land due to liability reasons.

Grandmato4: I am new to websleuths but i have read every post about Susan since day one on this forum. My ex was a narcissist sociopath and my heart breaks for Susan, as I realize...it could have easily been me.

I swear these guys are all cut from the same cloth. My ex was very involved in our church (not lds but it doesn't matter.) He was a COMPLETELY different person in public then when he was behind closed doors. I had some health issues - and was even in a wheelchair for two years due to his abuse. He was respected in the community and very attentive, doting, caring, concerned towards me and the children when anyone was looking. In fact, church members constantly told me how lucky I was. But people who spent time with him, and had more than a superficial relationship couldn't stand to be around him, just like Josh.

When I finally started to open up about what was REALLY going on at home, our church's reaction was similar to what Susan's friends are saying. Disbelief and denial. And when I left that abusive marriage, all our friends rallied to help HIM! It defies logic and common sense. Talk about misdirected compassion. :banghead:

Poor, poor Susan...

(bbm)
Foxy Loxy -

I'm so sorry you had to go through horrendous years of suffering with your narcissistic sociopath ex-husband. But I'm so happy you got out of the torturous marriage with you life intact.

When you left your abusive marriage, I hope all the idiot *friends* who rallied to support your ex-husband over you, eventually got kicked hard in their own behinds by the charming they consoled. Some people are hard-hard-learners.

I hope you and your children are healthy and happy and never need to have contact with your abuser again.

I do not understand how some of Susan's *friends* can still support and defend Josh. There have been waaay too many facts of his abuse and cruelty exposed for any sane person to champion him.

Sadly, we aren't talking about taking sides over a bad divorce. We're talking about the brutal murder of two precious little boys' mommy -- by the man who should have been protecting all of them the most.

Poor Susan at least won't be demeaned, threatened and hurt anymore. I fear for vulnerable, helpless Charlie and Braden who IMO, are in unbelievable peril!

I cannot understand anyone having any sympathy for Joshua S. Powell. IMO, his sympathizers are either brainwashed -- stoopid -- naive -- infatuated -- or all four. :mad:

BTW, I'm a former Minnesotan. I was born and raised in Southwest Minneapolis. Is Minnesota still a great place to live and raise a family?

in my humble and constitutionally protected opinion.

I don't know...I'm having trouble with the meth/strip bar theory...It seems very out of character to me...I'm still listening though...

I don't have a problem considering Josh went to a strip bar, had some drinks (even as far as most people who knew him considered it out of character for him) since murdering was also not seem to be within his normal character.

I do have a problem with the story from the strip club people. (New stories dispute previous stories about their surveillance tape wasn't working, but are claiming it was taped over on the 7th day - the day the police came to investigate the tape). They say they didn't think about saving the tape!

Didn't think of it? Anyone who is taping as a normal occurrence, would review it if anything "unusual" happens for confirmation. When people start talking about how the rude guy looked like Josh Powell, why wouldn't the manager review the tape himself for confirmation before calling the police with the "tip". Why didn't he try to confirm the identity himself by reviewing the driver's licenses which were scanned? Why didn't he looked over his own credit card receipts or checks to see if he had any collaborating evidence to support his suspicions that it was Josh who had stopped in on 12/7?

How sure are they about it being 12/7? About the time? The people who are there are drinking in the middle of the day and are there to watch a stripper dance, their main focus would not be on remembering identifying features of a random customer (even if they were rude).

In a criminal justice class, an unexpected intruder barges in, runs to the front of the class and steals a purse from a student on the front row and then runs out of the class. The students were shocked, but all had full eye contact of the intruder. Within minutes, they were each asked to write details about the intruder. The descriptions were all over the place - with details of clothing, height, weight, hair color, facial hair or no facial hair. And these were students whose interest is in criminal justice - they weren't patrons in a bar, wanting to see a show.

There is no real evidence to support Josh was there. I think if I was the manager and people were talking about a visit by Josh over their beers, I would have review my tape or look for other collaborating evidence - maybe for him, it was better for him not to have the evidence (to collaborate or dispute the story), because now his customers have a good story to talk about while drinking.

There have been a lot of searches by law enforcement in conjunction with mine owning companies in Tooele County which have been reported to me personally by someone who witnessed these searches and who was told to stay out of the area. Another person reported seeing a very large gathering of search and rescue and law enforcement vehicles very early one morning and they were forced to turn around because the road out to the search area was blocked off. This person said, as he was turning around, they began driving out of the assembly area and headed out into the desert.

I believe the reason large scale public search efforts have not been organized is because it's usually THE FAMILY who organizes these efforts or at least who contacts various search and rescue organizations to request their assistance.

So, it is fair to say law enforcement has been searching for Susan's body but the family et all have not.

I think, due to the area where law enforcement believes Susan's body was disposed of, interference from the public would not be tolerated because they believe it is located on private property and the property owners do NOT want the public wandering around on their land due to liability reasons.

(bbm)
Thanks Pickie,

I too have heard about the Law Enforcement searches in Tooele County. I also know there are some individual, compassionate private citizens searching in that area.

I also agree that ORGANIZED mass public searches are usually initiated only by the family and friends of the victim. If LE has some credible reason to believe Susan's body is in Tooele County, not all of the land is private. LE can't possibly be positive Susan is on private land. I don't understand why there are no organized volunteer searches on public land.

If Susan was my daughter who left two precious sons with unstable murderer Josh, I would be begging everyone to help me search the ditches along every public road in the county. The public shoreline of Utah Lake is another logical place to search.

The areas to search that aren't private are endless -- it's been over THREE months and organized comprehensive searching still hasn't begun. WHY?

I also believe, like you, that someone in the Puyallup Powell Lair, or someone else with knowledge of Susan's possible location, might still have an ounce of morality and decide to tell Law Enforcement what they know IF the reward money is enticing.

No one is likely to talk for a measly $11,000 -- an amount of money that won't even purchase a decent used car. IMO, it's mandatory the reward be raised to a minimum of $75,000 immediately.

"The Carole Sund/Carrington Memorial Reward Foundation" will help to increase the reward; but they must be asked by the family. There are also many people who would contribute to a reward fund. I certainly would -- but I will NOT contribute to another Domestic Abuse Foundation.

You and I both know that if the wet spot in Susan's living room was not life-thwarting blood saturated -- or if Susan's body is not found, the likelihood of Joshua being arrested and successfully tried any time soon is unlikely.

Then what happens to Charlie and Braden? :confused:
_ SCARY !

Time is of the essence. The only way Susan will be found is if there are
massive organized searches for her. The best way to obtain tips about where Susan might be located is with a HUGE reward.

Charlie and Braden's lives literally could depend on it.

imho

I don't have a problem considering Josh went to a strip bar, had some drinks (even as far as most people who knew him considered it out of character for him) since murdering was also not seem to be within his normal character.

I do have a problem with the story from the strip club people. (New stories dispute previous stories about their surveillance tape wasn't working, but are claiming it was taped over on the 7th day - the day the police came to investigate the tape). They say they didn't think about saving the tape!

Didn't think of it? Anyone who is taping as a normal occurrence, would review it if anything "unusual" happens for confirmation. When people start talking about how the rude guy looked like Josh Powell, why wouldn't the manager review the tape himself for confirmation before calling the police with the "tip". Why didn't he try to confirm the identity himself by reviewing the driver's licenses which were scanned? Why didn't he looked over his own credit card receipts or checks to see if he had any collaborating evidence to support his suspicions that it was Josh who had stopped in on 12/7?

How sure are they about it being 12/7? About the time? The people who are there are drinking in the middle of the day and are there to watch a stripper dance, their main focus would not be on remembering identifying features of a random customer (even if they were rude).

In a criminal justice class, an unexpected intruder barges in, runs to the front of the class and steals a purse from a student on the front row and then runs out of the class. The students were shocked, but all had full eye contact of the intruder. Within minutes, they were each asked to write details about the intruder. The descriptions were all over the place - with details of clothing, height, weight, hair color, facial hair or no facial hair. And these were students whose interest is in criminal justice - they weren't patrons in a bar, wanting to see a show.

There is no real evidence to support Josh was there. I think if I was the manager and people were talking about a visit by Josh over their beers, I would have review my tape or look for other collaborating evidence - maybe for him, it was better for him not to have the evidence (to collaborate or dispute the story), because now his customers have a good story to talk about while drinking.

I agree with you, sunnydee,

Any normal person who had seen Josh's feeble, oooh-soooo-guilty interview on TV would have raced to his license scanner - video surveillance tapes - and credit card statements - to see if he had corroborating evidence that the "odd duck" strip club patron was Josh.

I don't have a problem believing Josh would probably love to be drinkin' and oogling neekid women -- but I don't think he was in the bar that day. :(

I DO think the strip joint got itself a whale of bunch of free publicity!
imho

(bbm)
Foxy Loxy -

I'm so sorry you had to go through horrendous years of suffering with your narcissistic sociopath ex-husband. But I'm so happy you got out of the torturous marriage with you life intact.

When you left your abusive marriage, I hope all the idiot *friends* who rallied to support your ex-husband over you, eventually got kicked hard in their own behinds by the charming they consoled. Some people are hard-hard-learners.

I hope you and your children are healthy and happy and never need to have contact with your abuser again.

I do not understand how some of Susan's *friends* can still support and defend Josh. There have been waaay too many facts of his abuse and cruelty exposed for any sane person to champion him.

Sadly, we aren't talking about taking sides over a bad divorce. We're talking about the brutal murder of two precious little boys' mommy -- by the man who should have been protecting all of them the most.

Poor Susan at least won't be demeaned, threatened and hurt anymore. I fear for vulnerable, helpless Charlie and Braden who IMO, are in unbelievable peril!

I cannot understand anyone having any sympathy for Joshua S. Powell. IMO, his sympathizers are either brainwashed -- stoopid -- naive -- infatuated -- or all four. :mad:

BTW, I'm a former Minnesotan. I was born and raised in Southwest Minneapolis. Is Minnesota still a great place to live and raise a family?

bbm. Those two little boys need to be removed IMMEDIATELY. The Powells have a legacy going back generations of narcissism, bi-polar/mental illness, and dysfunction. Even in a loving, nurturing, healthy home they will have a tough road to travel dealing with losing their beautiful mother.

My ex made MANY ridiculous false reports to child protective services saying I was a drug dealer, abusive, mentally ill, even into prostitution - whatever was the "bad mother flavor of the week." They came to my house EVERY TIME to investigate. Of course, they didn't find anything but my point is - they have a job to do and that's a GOOD thing!

Perhaps Susan's friends and the Coxes are too intimidated and scared to report him, organize searches, raise money for a decent reward, or say anything negative to the media. They have seen his flashes of anger before, and are truly afraid of what he might be capable of.

JMHO and I am trying to make sense out of something that makes no sense at all.

O/T. Minnesota is still lovely although a bit cold at times lol. I grew up in S. Minneapolis too.

It is reported and on the record that Braden was crying because of Josh's behavior, not because of the visitors. Maybe nana and papa can report that, because it's upsetting to them. Apparently upsetting the children is worthy of notice.

It was a PATRON who called the police, not anyone who worked at the bar, a week after Josh was allegedly in the strip club, after seeing Josh Powell being interviewed on TV. By then, the computer had deleted the footage. So, we have to place blame on the West Valley City Police Department for not obtaining a warrant to seize the computer hard drive immediately upon hearing Sherman's account. (Although the computer program deletes the footage, the files are still available for retrieval until they have been overwritten by another file!)

"The same patrons and club employees were later stunned to see Josh Powell's face on the news as the husband who claims he left for a camping trip with his kids at midnight in freezing temperatures on the night his wife vanished.

"He drew my attention, because nobody forgets a jerk. And it was just one of those things that bothered me. When I saw his face on TV, I recollected, 'Yeah, that is definitely the guy,"' said Sherman.

Sherman called police after he saw Josh Powell on the news a week after meeting him at the strip club."

http://www.komonews.com/news/87175242.html

I was up in SLC a few days ago. Just wanted to comment on how the weather was very nice that day, deffinatly felt Spring was coming. There was no snow and some places are already putting out some flowers. I saw pansys and also some bulbs coming up.
I know there is still snow up in the higher elevations but there are so many places now that are bare. I really wish there was a concentrated effort for people everywhere to be asked to take a look around their property.
So many times victims are close to home.

VB

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no9cpsu1FBw[/ame]
Regular Duces Wild strip club patron is sure it was Josh "because he was wearing the same knit cap seen in the TV interviews".​

Does anyone know if Josh was taking any psychotropic medications for depression, bipolar disorder, etc. or if he'd ever been prescribed any?

Pickie (and others), it is against federal law to disclose someone's medical information without their express written consent. It is ok to say you believe someone displays the characteristics of a narcissistic sociopath, but not for someone with first-hand knowledge to publicly disclose what meds he is on.

Pickie (and others), it is against federal law to disclose someone's medical information without their express written consent. It is ok to say you believe someone displays the characteristics of a narcissistic sociopath, but not for someone with first-hand knowledge to publicly disclose what meds he is on.

I knew that a physician, nurse, pharmacist, counselor, etc. can't disclose the information they obtain through medical records or other means in conjunction with their job or position; however, I am unfamiliar with the federal law that prohibits me from telling a 911 operator, medic, fireman, etc. that Johnny overdosed on his prescription of (insert name of medication), unless I have a written consent form from the victim allowing me to disclose what medications Johnny is taking, has been prescribed and/or has in his possession.

Please give me a link to this law.

I believe that only applies to medical personnel. I could legally tell you what meds my husband takes! If Josh's sister knows if he takes meds, there is no law that prevents her from saying. His doctor is a different story.

HIPAA Rules:

The Privacy and Security Rules apply only to covered entities. Individuals, organizations, and agencies that meet the definition of a covered entity under HIPAA must comply with the Rules' requirements to protect the privacy and security of health information and must provide individuals with certain rights with respect to their health information. If an entity is not a covered entity, it does not have to comply with the Privacy Rule or the Security Rule.

A Covered Entity is one of the following:

A Health Care Provider
A Health Plan
A Health Care Clearinghouse
This includes providers such as:

Doctors
Clinics
Psychologists
Dentists
Chiropractors
Nursing Homes
Pharmacies
...but only if they transmit any information in an electronic form in connection with a transaction for which HHS has adopted a standard.

This includes:

Health insurance companies
HMOs
Company health plans
Government programs that pay for health care, such as Medicare, Medicaid, and the military and veterans health care programs
This includes entities that process nonstandard health information they receive from another entity into a standard (i.e., standard electronic format or data content), or vice versa.

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa...ies/index.html

It was a PATRON who called the police, not anyone who worked at the bar, a week after Josh was allegedly in the strip club, after seeing Josh Powell being interviewed on TV. By then, the computer had deleted the footage. So, we have to place blame on the West Valley City Police Department for not obtaining a warrant to seize the computer hard drive immediately upon hearing Sherman's account. (Although the computer program deletes the footage, the files are still available for retrieval until they have been overwritten by another file!)

"The same patrons and club employees were later stunned to see Josh Powell's face on the news as the husband who claims he left for a camping trip with his kids at midnight in freezing temperatures on the night his wife vanished.

"He drew my attention, because nobody forgets a jerk. And it was just one of those things that bothered me. When I saw his face on TV, I recollected, 'Yeah, that is definitely the guy,"' said Sherman.

Sherman called police after he saw Josh Powell on the news a week after meeting him at the strip club."

http://www.komonews.com/news/87175242.html

I saw video of the club's employees who were claiming that they recognized Josh from the interview on tv. (The blue knit hat interview - 6 minute interview happened - if Im not mistaken on 12/9) well before 7 days. If they truly believed it - I think they would have looked over the tape when they first saw the interview and then if they were more convinced by what they saw on the tape, or on the DL scanner then I would suspect that they would have called the police rather than a patron.

Eye witnesses are the poorest reliable evidence. Other "witnesses" dispute the ones who are certain it was Josh. So how do you discern if the ones who are certain it was Josh or if the ones who said the man didn't look like Josh is the most accurate? Unfortunately, even with all of the talk taking place at the bar - the management was not curious enough to check out their own potential hard evidence - video tape, DL scanner, or receipts.

I don't fault the police here - they have stated that witnesses from the bar have different recollections, Josh did not have alcohol on his breath when they interviewed him when he arrived to his house, and the people who spoke to Josh on the phone at the time the bar people think he was at their establishment did not hear noise in the background. (The bar people also claim to have confiscated their rude customer's phone for a period of time) and no one from the bar reported their rude customer was speaking on the phone while he was there. It is proven to the police's satisfaction that Josh did have phone conversations with at least two different people during the period of time when the bar people believed Josh was in their company.

The cell phone records that detail the calls by Jovanna and Jennifer to Josh are pretty reliable evidence. Even if their estimate of the time that they spoke to him was off due to their memory - the cell phone records would give the accurate time.

So why would Josh be ignoring several phone calls throughout the day, only to answer the phone twice during the time he was allegedly inside the strip bar, harassing the bar tender? I think the answer is that it wasn't Josh at the bar.

(bbm)
Foxy Loxy -

There are psychological reasons for this, unfortunately. One is called confirmation bias, which means that once we have an opinion of someone, we often only take in those things that confirms our preexisting view. So someone who met "charming" Josh would have difficulty even seeing or remembering incidents to the contrary, even if they had been public.

Also, sociopaths are master manipulators, as witnessed by behavior such as trying to turn children against their other parent.

Sadly, people can often find support if they are physically abused (although sometimes they are simply blamed - what did you do to make him mad?). Emotional and psychological abuse can be harder to "see" for those who have not been subjected to it. And again, that is if it is even done in public. And we have so many incidences where it simply isn't.

One thing you learn as you get older is that no one knows what is really going down in a relationship except for the people involved - although we can certainly resist dismissing the clues. We have to actively work to resist confirmation bias - "but he seemed like such a nice guy, I let that insult fly right by!"

The cell phone records that detail the calls by Jovanna and Jennifer to Josh are pretty reliable evidence. Even if their estimate of the time that they spoke to him was off due to their memory - the cell phone records would give the accurate time.

So why would Josh be ignoring several phone calls throughout the day, only to answer the phone twice during the time he was allegedly inside the strip bar, harassing the bar tender? I think the answer is that it wasn't Josh at the bar.

Could it be he didn't have cell phone service earlier in the day because he was out of range? Which cell phone company does he have, and where wouldn't there be a signal?

Could it be he didn't have cell phone service earlier in the day because he was out of range? Which cell phone company does he have, and where wouldn't there be a signal?

Ahhh...so many "what ifs" in this case, aren't there? :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forensicsdropout
Back