Josh Powell's House in WA blows up

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only judge that seemed to get it right so far was the judge in Kaine Horman's case.

In that case, the judge's choice is, IMO, easier - ... the child is better off with one parent, and the other parent doesn't wish to argue about it, lest it incriminate her.

That snake! How could he? <Insert lots of bad words here>

I feel like I've been at a WS reunion - so many familiar avatars.

How profoundly this occasion, but how comforting all these fine WS names here to support eachother.

Good to see you all. I hope we can all find a way to sleep and keep the boys and Susan and her family in our hearts.

I'm off to give sleep a chance...:offtobed:

-Emma

JP held a deep resentment toward the Cox family and all they stood for, he was a clone of his father (MOO) if any case for child custody, visitation rites screamed DANGER this one was it.

Oh, I was certain he would murder his boys if he decided to kill himself. he was all about control, vengeance, winning and sticking it to Susan and her family. He hated her, so he hated them. His boys were mere possessions to him, but like a spoiled, little child, they were his and not to be shared. And much like a spoiled brat, he decided to destroy them rather than relinquishing control.

This beast was a narcisisstic,manipulative, bully. A coward and a control freak with seething rage he could hardly keep hidden. He never loved those babies. I hate him.

I'm back just for a short time after a big break.

Let me explain what my fear was, I was afraid Josh would actually find a way to kill the children in front of the Grandparents, then himself. I kinda thought he might use a gun but if he could not control the surroundings then he couldn't be sure all would die. I think at some point after court he realized he'd never get them back and this was his last chance.

You're right Git but think about it if you leave the part in your description about the babies out who else are you describing? Old Steven Powell and I wonder what Josh was really hiding. By the way, this is just a rumor but I was reading an article somewhere I can't remember where and it said that some of those pictures of Susan came off Josh's computer at their home that Steve had. Sooo sick and evil. The devil had a stronghold in that house and it's name was Steven Powell and he made Josh the way he is today and so weak. But I suspect there was another hold he had on him that I don't even want to go there.

Speaking not as an attorney, but from my own personal experience:

CPS does not outrank a judge. There are legal limits on what they can do. When my son had a breakdown at his school he disclosed abuse by his father to his teacher. I had seen the big goose egg on my son's head, but was convinced by his cover story that he fell out of a tree he often climbed. Thank God that the teacher, as mandated by law called CPS. CPS then called me to set up an interview with my son. There was no eyewitness to what had happened. By the time my son told the teacher, and everything was set in motion, and the interview happened there were no marks or bruises to show. In the end, even though they 100% believed my son, they couldn't substantiate the allegation. However, our case worker really fought for us. She got them to leave the case open for 6 months and provide my son counseling. One, that let our abuser know that things were being monitored, and forced him to back off. Two, my case worker and the counselor have now both said that if anything happens again I can go to court and they will testify for me. It's very probable that the case worker in this case did all that she could.

I do have to wonder why the judge did not make use of a supervised visitation center. Washington state has plenty of them:

http://www.svdirectory.com/state.htm?st=wa

Or why the judge would not have suspended visitation pending a psychological exam of both the father, the children, and the prospective custodians. The courts must balance the sacred right of a parent to raise their own child with the sacred right of a child to life and safety. It's not an easy task, but there is a lot of scientific research and old fashioned common sense that can be used to make a responsible informed decision.

Believe it or not, only ten years ago, many states still did not have laws requiring judges to even consider family violence as one of the factors in determining child custody. Today, some states require it only if there has been a conviction, so a victim who is coming forward for the first time, or in a case like this where the victim is deceased and cannot speak, that doesn't help much. Today, many judges still don't understand the strong correlation between spousal abuse and child abuse. Many judges hold the belief that just because someone abuses their spouse it doesn't mean they will abuse their children. While this is technically true, and there are cases where that doesn't happen, it does happen often enough that it's irresponsible not to do a thorough risk assessment, and enact the appropriate safeguards when the potential for violence is so great.

JP held a deep resentment toward the Cox family and all they stood for, he was a clone of his father (MOO) if any case for child custody, visitation rites screamed DANGER this one was it.

I don't know much about child custody issues in general, but one thing's for certain, "supervised visitation" apparently doesn't mean what I thought it did.

There's so much shocking and bad I tried to think about any positives that happened the past few months.

The Grandparents got to spend a few months with their grandchildren and love them.
The children were beginning to feel safe and opened up to them.
They were able to talk about Mommy.
I bet they felt true unconditional love for the first time since Susan's death which of course made them think of Mommy...Now they are with Mommy.

When you love someone in a troubled situation there is so much stress and conflict all the time. The boys sensed that. They also realized what their Dad had told them about the Grandparents was a lie. They felt safe and loved.

For these last few months they and the Grandparents had good time together. I know it was good. That alone is something to be thankful for because I was afraid that wasn't going to happen.

The Grandparents have been through so much. I hope they can find peace now. They don't have to worry about the boys being in that sick family's house. They don't have to worry about the emotional and who knows what other kind of abuse. And...they have some wonderful memories. There is comfort in knowing they are with their Moma. They are free, laughing and flying.

Mr&Mrs Cox gave everything they could to help them.Susan would have been so proud of them and thankful.

They can't change what happened today, no one can but sometimes one can be thankful for the small things that helps get through the big things.

When my brother's son died at age 3 instead of railing against God and saying why did you let the cancer have him? He thanked God for letting him have his son for 3 years.

I think it helps to look at things that way. Now I'm crying again and will say good night and I will think of the happy times that the boys had with their Grandparents and vice versa. I know the Lord will give them strength and someday there will be a wonderful reunion for all.

If you have any doubt read "Heaven is for Real" the story of a little 4 yr old boy who went to Heaven and came back. I find it very comforting.

If that isn't enough we need to unite on quest to make sure this does not happen again!

Why do you think he wouldn't have done something?

He is legally bound to report an imminent crime-

What Josh did isn't his lawyers fault.

Can't sleep. I was going back over the thread to read pages I had not read and I wanted to clarify: A lawyer has NO obligation to report imminent harm. None. They can choose to report it and not risk censure due to a violation of the attorney-client privilege, but they do not have to report anything at all.

In other words, a client could tell them he or she was about to go murder someone and the lawyer has no duty to report that to anyone. Crazy, right?

BTW, for those who missed it, here's Susan's best friend Kiirsi Hellewell discussing the horrible murders yesterday:http://www.onenewspage.us/video/20120206/796175/Kiirsi-Hellewell-on-the-death-of-Josh-Powell.htm

Several hours ago, I was driving down the canyon... when I was informed of this... "Josh Powell killed his kids and himself."

I went completely numb.

Shock.

You can't be serious.

There's no way... what are you talking about...
WHY would they allow visitation at his house?!

I have been in shock and avoiding the subject for the last several hours. I start bawling again every time I see a headline.

We had a house explosion from a gas leak down the street once. I've seen what happens when that occurs.

I was SO relieved when Josh lost custody.
So relieved that Susan's boys were safe.
But he gets a chance to kill them anyway?!

There are no words.
This was preventable...

It didn't have to happen... and yet... Charlie and Braden were better protected than many of the kids we see on this board.

I don't know how close friends and family move on after this. I guess the belief that Susan is with her boys will sustain them.

The Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) plans to conduct what it terms a child-fatality review. "We really look at the service delivery with the case. Was there anything we can learn about what happened? It's not necessary to see what went wrong, but how were services delivered. Is there something we can learn?" said Sharon Gilbert, deputy director for field operations at Children's Administration, which is part of DSHS.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2017435088_dshs06m.html

Two children are dead and it's not necessary to see what went wrong, we'll just treat it as a learning opportunity. :waitasec:

Maybe she had some admirable sentiment behind this thought but it comes across to me as a bit insensitive.

I sat down in front of my computer two hours ago. That's when I learned what had happened. I've been sitting here for two hours, shaking my head with my mouth hanging open.

wow

I'm no more shocked than the rest of you. I think a lot of us expected something like this.

But nonetheless I'm absolutely floored by it.

I half expect that there will be some long, ranting, ridiculous manifesto found online that Josh Powell wrote before he killed his children and himself. I refuse to believe that someone like Josh went out with "I'm Sorry, Goodbye" and just tucked his tail between his legs and went to his grave. This was about him, just as everything else is. Everything from the neighborhood to his children were just collateral damage to Josh.

My opinion is that the only reason he took the house, his and Susan's possessions, his vehicle and his children with him, was because he didn't want anyone else to have anything that belonged to him if he killed himself. He must have known something was coming down. I can't really see Josh Powell committing suicide unless it was to avoid the death penalty or life in an 8x10 cell.....or more to the point...to avoid being exposed as everything he's systematically denied for two years.

What's ironic is that for someone as smart and superior as he thought he was, he was a moron and he proved that in the end. Are we to believe he didn't kill Susan NOW? He was only accused of killing Susan, nothing proven. But we KNOW he killed two innocent little boys who never did a thing to anyone....AND endangered the lives of everyone in the neighborhood. Is there any doubt in anyone's mind now as to whether or not he killed Susan?

I seriously doubt it.

Josh Powell: "I am a good father to my sons."

Most any male can father a child, but only a real man can be a Dad.

A father is a reproductive assistant; a Dad helps them grow up, raises them, nurtures them.

Josh was no Dad.

article-2096946-119A7B61000005DC-661_634x463.jpg

Josh Powell's brother-in-law Kirk Graves reacts to explosion that killed Josh, sons

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qihD1pO4xwk"]Josh Powell&#39;s brother-in-law Kirk Graves reacts to explosion that killed Josh, sons - YouTube[/ame]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BranVan