Judge Grants Change of Venue for Ross Harris

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read the defense's motion for the change of venue. They said that there were 85 jurors who were questioned about the case, and of those 85, they determined that 43 could not be impartial. That's about half. So I don't think finding an impartial jury in Cobb would've been impossible but I don't have a problem with them moving the trial. I would even argue that w/ all the hype and attention this case has gotten, the fact that half of the jurors in the same county can be impartial (and you know the defense is trying to get as much numbers of their side as possible), is relatively surprising.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/311224797/Harris-Motion-Doc-1

The State's argument against COV rested upon numbers. The DT argued that the Irwin US Supreme Court ruling had mandated a different standard in cases where pervasive pre-trial publicity could be demonstrated. The standard in such cases was that prospective jurors' claims of impartiality could not be trusted, in essence, and that juror bias must be presumed.

Staley's statements when ruling in favor of the COV indicate she accepted the Irwin standard. She specifically pointed out that at least some jurors who said in questionnaires they could be impartial reversed themselves when testifying, and likewise, at least some jurors who they couldn't be impartial also reversed themselves in testimony. Bias must be assumed.

Are we sure she didn't say AV? (audio/visual-- maybe she knows their technology is not as up to date as the case would require?)

She definitely said air conditioning. And that she knew of "at least one" court system in GA that didn't have any.

Was anyone else upset when they heard about the change of venue?

They only needed a couple more jurors. In addition, this is a case that has been nationally reported. Who hasn't heard about this case? Location of residence is irrelevant when everyone gets the news on their phones and over the Internet in updated real time.

Remember during the OJ trial, the jury was taken to his house to help decide the case.

Will moving the trial ensure that the jury won't be taken to the area where Cooper Harris spent his last moments, thus hindering prosecution? Seems more than possible, IMO.

Was anyone else upset when they heard about the change of venue?

They only needed a couple more jurors. In addition, this is a case that has been nationally reported. Who hasn't heard about this case? Location of residence is irrelevant when everyone gets the news on their phones and over the Internet in updated real time.

Remember during the OJ trial, the jury was taken to his house to help decide the case.

Will moving the trial ensure that the jury won't be taken to the area where Cooper Harris spent his last moments, thus hindering prosecution? Seems more than possible, IMO.

I was annoyed with the change of venue.

How far are they wanting to move the venue? That part I haven't heard.

I have a jumble of thoughts and I’m going to try to put it into words:

It was recently announced that CBS will be producing a 10-part series on the JonBenet Ramsey case. Many followers think the series will be very “Intruder Did It” focus because of the possibility of a lawsuit from the Ramseys. Since the GJ announced that there would not be charges filed against the parents (which turned out to be untrue) in 1999, almost everything in the MSM has been very pro-Ramsey, and since 2008, when It came out that they were cleared, they’ve been portrayed as a couple who was accused of falsely murdering their daughter. Everyone remembers how when the case first broke, it was very much “The Ramseys did it” in the media.

Another example would be the Chandra Levy case. It was recently announced that Chandra’s real killer, an illegal immigrant, would be granted a new trial. Back in the early 2000’s, the narrative in the media was that Chandra was killed by Gary Condit. In that case, the narrative had to change because someone else was arrested.

Now what does this have to do with Cooper’s case? In Cooper’s case, the media coverage since the bond hearing has been extremely leaning towards “Ross murdered his son”. Now if that isn’t true, if Cooper died by accident, there’s no story. In the Ramsey case, if the Ramseys didn’t kill their daughter that means that an intruder did. JonBenet’s still a murder victim. If the main narrative in Cooper’s case is wrong, if Ross is innocent, then Cooper’s case is a private family tragedy. I guess you could have the whole “Father falsely accused of murdering son” narrative but Ross was still sexting underage girls when his son died. He’s not the most sympathetic person, and many would say that he is still negligent for his son’s death.

I guess what I am trying to say is: There’s no incentive for the media to try to portray Ross as innocent. There’s no incentive to try to look at Cooper’s death as an accident because if Cooper died by accident, they wouldn’t be talking about the case in the first place. And least not to the same degree. The media would not be obsessing over a child who died in a hot car by accident.

It’s just something that makes the case stand out from other high-profile cases. Hypothetically if Ross was found not guilty in his trial, I honestly cannot fathom the media ever giving much attention to the “Cooper died by accident” theory. Is the "Chandra was killed by an illegal immigrant" narrative as enticing as "Chandra was killed by a U.S. Rep"? Of course not. But the gap between "Cooper died by accident" and "Cooper was murdered by his father" is gigantic in terms of newsworthiness.

I've been listening to the Breakdown podcast put out by the Atlanta Journal Constitution. Its coverage of this case has been pretty in-depth. The host's viewpoint seems to lean toward sympathy for Ross, which surprised me at first. But I've come to believe that this might be the male version of the Casey Anthony case -- it stinks to high heaven, but very hard to prove legally. MOO, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charron said the court hopes to have a new venue selected within two weeks. While much remains unsettled, it’s a safe bet the trial will occur this year, as Staley wants, Charron said. It won’t start before Labor Day but can’t start much later if it is to conclude before the holidays, he said.

Less certain is the location, though Charron said it will be outside the Atlanta media market in a place that can handle the influx of media, court personnel, attorneys and a large number of witnesses.

The leading contender is believed to be Brunswick in Glynn County, which, nine years ago agreed to provide facilities and jurors for a Cobb County death penalty trial. In 2013, Cobb returned the favor, playing host to the trial of a Brunswick teenager accused of fatally shooting a toddler.

http://www.myajc.com/news/news/local/five-jurors-and-one-judge-alter-the-course-of-just/nrJQY/

I have seen much discussion here about the comment the judge made of a Georgia Courthouse not having air conditioning.

Am I the only person that remembers the judges dry humor just three weeks ago or two weeks ago that the air-conditioning in that Courthouse broke down and they had a fan in her courtroom? I just thought that was a dry humor she was making when she said that, and I laughed remembering the hearing that the air conditioning was out.

She commented on their air conditioning in that county Courthouse breaking down :Moo:

:moo:

If you did not follow live ..and didn't see the hearings live you would have missed that.

Am I the only person that saw this and thought the judge was commenting HER courtroon didn't have air conditioning for a couple of days?

I could do a screen shot on that day of the fans that were in the courtroom but I guess I am not up to it right now

I have seen much discussion here about the comment the judge made of a Georgia Courthouse not having air conditioning.

Am I the only person that remembers the judges dry humor just three weeks ago or two weeks ago that the air-conditioning in that Courthouse broke down and they had a fan in her courtroom?I just thought that was a dry humor she was making when she said that, and I laughed remembering the hearing that the air conditioning was out.

She commented on their air conditioning in that county Courthouse breaking down :Moo:

:moo:

If you did not follow live ..and didn't see the hearings live you would have missed that.

Am I the only person that saw this and thought the judge was commenting HER courtroon didn't have air conditioning for a couple of days?

I could do a screen shot on that day of the fans that were in the courtroom but I guess I am not up to it right now

Thank-You. This explains the comment about the AC. :seeya:

I guess what I am trying to say is: There’s no incentive for the media to try to portray Ross as innocent.

I see what you are saying with this (that the media needs a story to generate revenue), but then again, with so much damning evidence against JH that portraying JH as innocent would be very misleading. I think, though, once the media starts a narrative, they have to keep with it or else they end up looking stupid by admitting they were wrong and jumped to conclusions. I could name other high profile shootings and trials where the media jumped to conclusions then ended up with egg on their faces. Did they apologize or admit to jumping to conclusions? They sure didn't. They just doubled down and insisted they were right beyond all facts and evidence, which is downright demoralizing.

IMO, I wish that the media would either stick to the facts or stay out of it completely.

I was annoyed with the change of venue.

How far are they wanting to move the venue? That part I haven't heard.

I haven't heard yet either.

On the other hand, if they end up in a courthouse with no air conditioning, they will have the defense to blame and they will associate the sweltering heat with little Cooper's last moments.

RIP little boy :(

Here's a map of the Atlanta media market for anyone who is interested:

georgia.gif

http://dishuser.org/TVMarkets/Maps/georgia.gif

Since the DT requested a COV to outside the Atlanta media market, it's highly unlikely that the case will end up in any of the yellow counties. I don't know if the entire Macon market is excluded or just Macon itself.

:bump: for above poster Kaylynn

We still don't know where, but it was requested that it be outside the Atlanta mass media Market.

It's crazy how the case went from multiple MSM articles talking about every possible aspect during jury selection to absolutely nothing almost overnight. I know people will say "Jury selection was halted...There's nothing happening" but I still think it's weird for the media to go from being obsessed with a story to moving on in less than 48 hours especially since when jury selection started up, the local media kept emphazing just how "extraordinary" their coverage of the case has been.

I haven't heard yet either.

On the other hand, if they end up in a courthouse with no air conditioning, they will have the defense to blame and they will associate the sweltering heat with little Cooper's last moments.

RIP little boy :(

JMO
I believe the no air conditioning thing is not going to be an issue. I have lived just outside Atlanta all my life. This judge has expressed great concern over the jurors. She will not put them in some sweltering courthouse for a day much less weeks. I'm sure a judge in Alaska would not put a jury in a facility with no heat.
The judge is a woman. For the most part us females don't enjoy sitting around in sweaty clothes all day. Imagine her clothes plus a robe on top. Miserable!

As we say here, it's not just the heat, it's the humidity!

For what it is worth, I heard Vinnie Politan's podcast last night and he said mid September for a start date but not sure of his source.

Just a little bit of info.... I live in Kingsland, Georgia and have several friends that work for the Camden County court system and a very close friend that is a defense attorney for Camden County. Evidently, there have been conversations the last week or so regarding CC being a place of interest for this trial to be moved. The court house is in Woodbine (pretty much rural) which is about 26 miles over the Fla/Ga Border straight up 95. About 30 minutes from Brunswick, 1 hour from Savannah and about 45 minutes from Jacksonville, Florida (I work in Jax). I will also say there was a huge power outage at the court house, jail and surrounding building a few years ago and they closed down the whole place down for the entire week while the rewiring was done. They moved all of the inmates to Folkston. So, CC Court house definitely has AC. Cannot believe there is still a court house with no AC.

new venue still not determined:

Court Administrator Tom Charron has been working with Staley on finding a location for the trial. On Friday, he said Staley had not made a final decision on the matter.

An early fall start date for the trial is still the goal, Charron added, though no date has been set in stone.

Charron previously said a cost in the six-figure range would be in line with other trials that have been moved out of Cobb.

http://www.mdjonline.com/news/admin...cle_0934c2be-1fd5-11e6-9933-f7cc70e22cd0.html

Change of venue to be announced tomorrow. Source: WSB Radio. Heard it on radio yesterday afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member