Judge Sasser was associate with Tharington-Smith

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't say she was...I said I feel like it is a conflict of interest. You don't think it is possible that she might feel a little bias towards her former employer?

Or - it's also possible that she has bias AGAINST her former employer if her exit was less than a pleasant one. We don't know.

So - I am in the camp that the judge knows rulings need to uphold laws and hold up to scrutiny, so I do not think this is an issue.

et tu, SleuthyGal?

Excuse me, here. It was not SG who took issue with the cheap shot at Alice Stubbs. It was me. And I think SG was more commenting on some of the tactics K&B have used so far which do not seem to have been in the best interests of their client. I don't think 'sleazy' was called for, but I would stop short at 'professional'.

Excuse me, here. It was not SG who took issue with the cheap shot at Alice Stubbs. It was me. And I think SG was more commenting on some of the tactics K&B have used so far which do not seem to have been in the best interests of their client. I don't think 'sleazy' was called for, but I would stop short at 'professional'.

First of all, I don't think SleuthGal needs you to defend her. Second, she and I actually have a pretty decent relationship on this site, and I fully believe she knows I was joking, and what it is in reference to.

I interpreted her saying “when the order is signed” to mean the legal papers. The last page of the documents where both sides have to sign. This outlines all the “rules” in regard to custody of the kids.

I did not interpret that to mean that she will give the reasons why she did what she did. All she legally has to say is that is her ruling, correct? By law does she have to explain in detail how she came to her conclusions?

I know the Supreme Court will put out their “Opinions” as to why each Justice voted a certain way. I’m not sure Judge Sasser has to do this.

In my child custody case the judge just decided and that was it…It was because he said so. There was no written or published justification as to why he ruled on certain issues in my case.

Good grief all this heart judgement is tough to read as I'm ssssoooo thankful the girls r safe in a healthy environment. IMO the defense didn't say anything because they too were internally hoping for this because they know more details and have heart

I interpreted her saying “when the order is signed” to mean the legal papers. The last page of the documents where both sides have to sign. This outlines all the “rules” in regard to custody of the kids.

I did not interpret that to mean that she will give the reasons why she did what she did. All she legally has to say is that is her ruling, correct? By law does she have to explain in detail how she came to her conclusions?

I know the Supreme Court will put out their “Opinions” as to why each Justice voted a certain way. I’m not sure Judge Sasser has to do this.

In my child custody case the judge just decided and that was it…It was because he said so. There was no written or published justification as to why he ruled on certain issues in my case.

With the ex parte Order, Judge Sasser listed Findings of Fact and Conclusions of Law - a bit less formal than giving Reasons for Judgment on other civil cases.

Good grief all this heart judgement is tough to read as I'm ssssoooo thankful the girls r safe in a healthy environment. IMO the defense didn't say anything because they too were internally hoping for this because they know more details and have heart

You don't know that the environment is a healthy one. Something wasn't right in Nancy's up bringing or she wouldn't have cheated on her husband the first year they were married. Something wasn't right in Nancy's upbringing or she wouldn't have been going on spending sprees when they couldn't pay their utilities. This kind of behavior points to poor upbringing in my opinion. That is the same environment the girls are now in. Will they grow up not knowing the value of faithfulness and how to control impulses.

You don't know that the environment is a healthy one. Something wasn't right in Nancy's up bringing or she wouldn't have cheated on her husband the first year they were married. Something wasn't right in Nancy's upbringing or she wouldn't have been going on spending sprees when they couldn't pay their utilities. This kind of behavior points to poor upbringing in my opinion. That is the same environment the girls are now in. Will they grow up not knowing the value of faithfulness and how to control impulses.

Seems as though you are also speculating, Shack. You have no evidence that the Rentzes are not wonderful people, despite what you think of NC. Nancy is the victim here and we know for SURE that she did not murder anyone.

You can read JL's affidavit, if you want to learn more about the Rentz family.

That is really just a crappy and unfair statement to make.

The girls are living with the Listers (Krista & Jim) with visits from their grandparents. What makes you think anything was wrong with the Rentz' children's upbringing? There were 4 Rentz offspring...now 3. I suppose alternatively the kids could grow up w/Brad, and learn about having sex in a closet with a spouse's best friend and a coworker's wife while 3 kids under the age of 3 are unsupervised in their house and then learn how to lie about it for a year.

The girls are living with the Listers (Krista & Jim) with visits from their grandparents. What makes you think anything was wrong with the Rentz' children's upbringing? There were 4 Rentz offspring...now 3. I suppose alternatively the kids could grow up w/Brad, and learn about having sex in a closet with a spouse's best friend and a coworker's wife while 3 kids under the age of 3 are unsupervised in their house and then learn how to lie about it for a year.

:clap::clap:

I still cannot understand why BC has not been put in "temporary-prison" (at least while we wait on the results of the investigation to complete). After all, pushed to the brink, and the stress of losing kids in a custody battle, might he not be a threat to his neighbors (especially JA), the Lochmere and Cary community, and society as a whole?

Out of an abundance of caution (for the safety of others), why not lock him up until he's cleared explicitly of the killing, and/or LE finds a way to explain that pesky eye-witness that backs up his statements? Isn't that the responsible thing to do!!??

I still cannot understand why BC has not been put in "temporary-prison" (at least while we wait on the results of the investigation to complete). After all, pushed to the brink, and the stress of losing kids in a custody battle, might he not be a threat to his neighbors (especially JA), the Lochmere and Cary community, and society as a whole?

Out of an abundance of caution (for the safety of others), why not lock him up until he's cleared explicitly of the killing, and/or LE finds a way to explain that pesky eye-witness that backs up his statements? Isn't that the responsible thing to do!!??

I get it. You are prone to exaggerations! :) You must be a Canadian!:)

:takeoff: :cool2:

Funny stuff.

I get it. You are prone to exaggerations! :) You must be a Canadian!:)

:takeoff: :cool2:

thought the same thing with jumpstreet's first hilarious comment that on first reading one could think OMG before realizing the outrageous, great humor. must be canadian!

shack, there's so much we don't know about other people's lives & we can only make our best guesses, given the information that we do have. what we do know about nancy's family is that they cared a great deal for each other, all of the in-laws describe the Rentz's as "family" that they love spending time with, etc.

Many of us can have fine upbringing, but with enough stress, any of us can make mistakes, bad choices, & inappropriate, unfaithful behavior. I always figure that with the right combination of circumstances, many of us who think of ourselves as faithful, loyal, good people could "fall" & do stupid things that we regret.

OMG!!! :floorlaugh: SG, I didn't see this coming from you....it has just taken me by surprise.:eek:

Judge Debra Sasser's resume, from her 2004 election campaign website.

* SOLE MEMBER OF DEBRA S. SASSER, PLLC, RALEIGH, NC SINCE OCT. 2001 Practice is focused on serving as a neutral to resolve civil matters through mediation and arbitration. Trial practice limited to serving as the attorney/guardian ad litem for children alleged to be abused or neglected and as the guardian ad litem for parents in child protection proceedings.

* ASSOCIATE COUNSEL, NORTH CAROLINA GUARDIAN AD LITEM PROGRAM, SEPT. 1999 – AUG. 2001 Counsel for North Carolina’s Guardian ad Litem Program, which advocates on behalf of abused and neglected children.
* ATTORNEY ADVOCATE, WAKE COUNTY GUARDIAN AD LITEM PROGRAM, FEB. 1999 – AUG. 1999 Represented children alleged to be abused or neglected in child protection proceedings.

* ASSOCIATE ATTORNEY, THARRINGTON SMITH, L.L.P., RALEIGH, NC, JUNE 1994 – OCT. 1998 Experience included trials, arguments, and appeals in district court, superior court, North Carolina Court of Appeals, and federal court. Subject matter: domestic law, general business litigation, personal injury, and employment law.

* ASSOCIATE ATTORNEY, KENNEDY COVINGTON LOBDELL & HICKMAN, L.L.P., CHARLOTTE, NC, SUMMER 1991; SEPT. 1992 – APRIL 1994 Experience included non-jury trials and arguments in district court and federal court. Subject matter: general business litigation, domestic law, criminal law, and securities fraud.

* CERTIFIED LAW STUDENT, UNC SCHOOL OF LAW CRIMINAL LAW CLINIC, AUG. 1991 – DEC. 1991 Represented indigent defendants charged with misdemeanor criminal offenses.

* SUMMER ASSOCIATE, ROBINSON, BRADSHAW & HINSON, P.A., CHARLOTTE, NC, 1991

* SUMMER ASSOCIATE, MOORE & VAN ALLEN, PLLC, DURHAM, NC, 1990

OTHER PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE

COMPUTER SYSTEMS ANALYST, CONOCO, INC.,
PONCA CITY, OK & HOUSTON, TX SEPT. 1980 - JULY 1989.
Supervised and directed the activities of a professional staff of computer system analysts. Responsible for the ongoing maintenance, support, and development of new computerized business and accounting systems.

EDUCATION

* JURIS DOCTORATE WITH HIGH HONORS, UNC SCHOOL OF LAW, 1992. Ranked 8th out of 248 students. Received awards in Civil Procedure, Trial Advocacy, and Professional Responsibility, including the Judge Heriot Clarkson Ethics Prize. Selected for membership in the Order of the Coif.
* BACHELOR OF SCIENCE, SOCIOLOGY, OKLAHOMA STATE UNIVERSITY, 1980. Grade Point Average: 3.867/4.0

CERTIFICATION & LICENSURE

* ARBITRATOR FOR WAKE COUNTY DISTRICT COURT, NOV. 2001 - PRESENT.
* NC DISPUTE RESOLUTION COMMISSION CERTIFIED MEDIATOR (FAMILY), APRIL 2000 - PRESENT.
* LICENSED ATTORNEY, NORTH CAROLINA, AUG. 1992 - PRESENT.

PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS & COMMITTEES

* Member of the North Carolina Bar Association since 1992
* Member of the Wake County Bar Association since 1994: Board of Directors, 2003 to present, Chair CLE Committee, 2002 to present, Bench/Bar Committee member, 2002 to present, recipient of the President’s Award for Excellence, 2002
* Member of the Tenth Judicial Bar Association since 1994: Grievance Committee member, 2002 to present, Fee Dispute Resolution Committee member, 2003 to present
* Member of the North Carolina Association of Women Attorneys since 2002
* Member of Wake County Women Attorneys since 2003
* Pro bono attorney with North Carolina Guardian ad Litem Program since 2002
* Member of the AOC Juvenile Forms Subcommittee, September 1999 through August 2001
* Member of the Court Improvement Conference Planning Committee, 2000 and 2001
* North Carolina Family Forum Case Contributor, 1994 to 1996
* Pro bono attorney with the Volunteer Lawyer’s Program, 1994 to 1998
* Volunteer mediator with Carolina Dispute Settlement Services, 2001 to 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics