Judge's Order re: OP's Mental Health Eval Thread #42

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will get back to you as I have to run off again :)

Short answer is that the mind is a terribly irrational place when it is under high stress (Oscar it appears more so than the average mind) and something the mind does, when it is in a state of confusion, is grasp hold of the small bits of information that it knows are true and by repeating those truths the mind tries to ground itself in reality.

Hmm, what was that term Nel was asking OP about.. oh yea, isn't that called "tailoring"?

“When I got out of bed, I wasn’t holding my face until after I got out of bed, I rubbed my face and then I turned to get out of the bed. When I moved the duvet I saw that the duvet went up and from that I can deduct that Reeva at least her legs were under the duvet.”

I have stated many times that I find all the ear-witness testimony nebulous at best and the fact that it is contradictory and there are so few ear-witnesses makes it even murkier in my opinion.

I am a pragmatist at heart.

Why does 'so few ear-witnesses' make it 'even murkier'? OP definitely fired his gun at least four times (that cannot be disputed), and yet no others came forward hence there must've been a reason why they didn't hear those shots and therefore if they didn't hear the shots then they wouldn't have heard anything else either. I don't find it at all odd that quite a number of the residents didn't hear anything at all .. but the PT ones who did hear something all essentially say the same thing, and the DT ones say something slightly different because they heard the sounds which immediately followed the shooting (although even one of the DT witnesses mentioned something about hearing a woman).

I don't think it really matters whether all their testimonies match exactly because people tend to remember things in a slightly different order to how they happened .. they can remember the detail, and they can remember their feeling and impression of what they heard and that, for me, is enough that they felt (because of the types of sounds they heard) that there was something rather more untoward going on than what OP has said there was.

The difference between being able to accept what they say as opposed to what OP says, even though they have given conflicting accounts, is because they are quite clear about the types of sounds they heard (i.e. that there were voices of not just a man but a man and a woman, and they are in absolutely no doubt about that and they have absolutely no reason to fabricate what they heard, either). OP on the other hand actually stated certain things under cross examination that not only contradicted what he had said earlier in his testimony, but they are things which cannot possibly be true anyway (I'm not going through them all again, we've all mentioned the various things numerous times now but it is based on what was found at the crime scene, things which cannot possibly have been tampered with by the police and the specific forensics proves it hadn't been).

You ('one') cannot say that all contradictions are the same type of contradictions .. the earwitnesses contradictions are a different type of contradiction to OP's, for the reasons I've just given.

I agree... I reckon there has to be material in these threads for at least 20 movies, and several Tele Novelas !

And it's not a criticism because although brain storming is necessary and extremely useful, so is realising when to let go of fantastical theories so as to dedicate all efforts on those that show promise of a possible solution because in 10 seconds, what 4 shots even with a gap take at worst, aiming and firing looking for the target through cracks in a door while at the same time following the target by the screams despite the deafening sound of the shots and moving back and forth to change direction seems so incredible that I can't see Masipa will be able to deal with that.
JMHOSNNFS,I,OR

No theory i've ever read is crazier than the one where Oscar genuinely thought there was an intruder in the toilet, that is the dumbest one of all.

BIB & Teal colour mine:

Sorry to cross threads but I was trying to write this reply and apologise to you in stops and starts over the day between other duties an trying to play catch-up but the mods shut the thread "temporarily for review" when I was near to posting in the early hours before I went to bed. Today I see the closure was permanent so I hope you don't mind my posting the reply here.

Respectfully you appear to have either misunderstood my post or the purpose of the Court Order that Masipa handed down on Tuesday (others seem to misunderstand its purpose too!). I mean, not wanting to be rude, but WTH does an "Involuntary Civil Commitment" ("ICC"), under SA's Mental Health Care Act (MHCA), have to do with this order under the SA Criminal Procedure Act (CPA) for OP to undergo what is commonly called a "Mental State at Time of Offence Evaluation" ("MSO" or "MSE-Offence"), the exact limitations of which are very clear ?:

Contrary to what I think you are inferring by noting, "Not every state even allows for outpatient commitment.", OP has neither been civilly nor criminally committed... not even on an outpatient basis! He has not even been ordered to undergo an evaluation to ascertain whether he should be committed, whether for treatment, rehabilitation, or as a restraint from being a danger to himself or others. OP has merely been ordered to attend a psychiatric hospital 5 days a week at set, albeit eminently flexible, times and undergo a psychiatric evaluation whose sole purpose is to assist the court in determining whether he is entitled to either an "insanity defence" (legal insanity not medical insanity) or a mitigation plea by way of his state of mind "at the time of the commission of the offence", which is a "Mental State at Time of Offence Evaluation", and the same procedure I was referring to in my post and which I have been describing here since the ruling last week, both from my own personal experience through my voluntary work over many years, as well as from my research.

Unlike an "involuntary civil commitment" a "Mental State at Time of Offence Evaluation " is not normally on an inpatient basis in the UK, US, Canada, or any country with minimally up to date mental health laws; not unless the subject is suspected of being a danger to themselves or others, in which case committal, a very intrusive and restrictive measure modern mental health legislation only permits when absolutely necessary, is justifiable to assess that risk, but not for an "MSO" on its own, for which there is no need whatsoever for 24/7 observation as the evaluation format is based on interviews, tests, and research into past history, court docs, etc. Nor would internment be justifiable except in unavoidable circumstances under most modern mental health legislation, including that of SA whose "Mental Health Care Act", (in force since 2004), is considered one of the more progressive in questions of mental health issues in the world. That said, OP's suitability to remain in the community safely is clearly not in issue, otherwise the court would have ordered his committal and an enquiry into whether he was a danger to himself or others, so I think it safe to assume that an "involuntary commitment", whether civil or criminal, is neither applicable nor relevant to OP's "Mental State at Time of Offence Evaluation", at least not at this time, and as I see it will never be.

OTOH, if I misunderstood your reference to "involuntary civil committal" in respect of the evaluation order, please accept my apology but in which case I would still like to know of states you know of that legally oblige inpatient "MSOs", as it is of personal interest to me as I have not found any unless where there are grounds to believe the subject is a danger to themselves or others, where an accused is in prison, or where there are no psychiatric facilities near an accused on bail so an inpatient basis can be ordered for convenience.

In respect of your 2nd point, I absolutely agree that you should take issue with those of us who in your words are "comparing 50 country's laws to that of one", grouping all laws under one loose term, i.e. "in the US". You are right and it is a wrong for which as a "pecador" I apologise, more especially because I should know better as I am well aware that each State has their own laws, whether simply nuanced from those of other states or vastly different as is often the case.

That said, just a few words in my, and possibly others', defence. It may be we unfairly generalise because US laws that hit the headlines here do so because they don't fit with our traditions or with principles set out in our laws, e.g., torture, SYG, death penalty, life sentences without possibility of parole, GBMI verdicts and in some states the abolition of the insanity defence, these last of particular concern to me in view of my voluntary work. And I think the generalisation may be exacerbated by the perception that controversial laws, (controversial here of course!), appear to spread so that other states seem to often follow suit giving the impression, wrongly or rightly, that implementation across all States is inevitable. Nonetheless, you are right and I should not generalise so I will try hard to refrain from doing so in the future. Again my apologies to you and others of the US for any unintended offence caused.

JMHOSNNFS,I,OR

Thank you so much for this informative post :)

Just a not to fellow Websleuthers, there is a weird post #32 from my computer which I have just discovered this morning. I have asked that large sections of it be removed. I don't know what has happened here. My apology for any inconvenience.

LOL Fuskier. Yeah. I read about 3/4 way till I realized it was a booboo

I live in the U.S. and always have, so my "two cents" on this topic may not even be worth two cents, but it seems to me people are generally more protective of their privacy in South Africa. Perhaps it varies by city or region, but that's the impression I get from many witnesses. Even Dr. Stipp justified going to the crime scene by speculating there might be children involved. It wasn't enough that an adult woman was heard screaming. Additionally, Stipp waited for police to call him and only took the initiative to contact them after more than a day passed without a call from police. It isn't my intention to criticize Dr. Stipp. IMO, he (and Baba) acted heroically under the circumstances. IMO, Dr. Stipp is the best and most valuable witness for the prosecution. I'm just wondering if a reluctance to get involved may be more typical than atypical in South Africa.

A friend from South Africa who moved to the U.S. once told me it was hard for him to adjust to neighbors casually greeting him on the sidewalk. He said his neighbors in South Africa kept their distance from each other, their windows obscured by hedges. That was many years ago, and it was just one person's opinion, but it's something I've thought about quite a bit throughout this trial. For instance, it seemed strange to me that nobody in Tasha's called the police, and equally strange that Carice and others went back to bed after hearing screams or cries, but maybe that's the cultural norm rather than an exception. I don't know.

I apologize in advance to the South Africans on the board if I've misrepresented the culture there. Please do add your two cents as they'll be worth a lot more than mine.

As always, all of the above is just my opinion.

It just seems probable to me that Ms Burger & Mr Johnson assumed that there would be other witnesses closer to the incident who heard and possibly even saw more than they did. I think that would be a reasonable assumption in such a built-up area.

It's also not clear to me that it wasn't reported. I understand that they first rang the security at their previous home - that's easy done if the number was stored on speed dial. Then they contacted their current security centre; do we know that the report wasn't passed on by them?

I don't question a lot about his feeling for Reeva, feeling the curtains and so forth as I know what it is like to be in an extreme situation and I know how muddled reality can become. Psychological experts will bear this out, although everyone reacts differently some people having a second by second memory others by not remembering much of anything at all. The human brain does not like blanks in its memory so it fills in the gaps with what seems reasonably accurate.

~snipped~

There is a difference between getting some things in the wrong order, or even remembering wrongly but it's something else to go into quite some detail about 'feeling around on the floor for Reeva' and then the very next minute to state not feeling around on the floor at all and just 'walking through the passage (along the side of the bed) and saying that he knew that she wasn't there because he didn't kick/trip over her. That is not just the memory filling in blanks, this is totally changing his version .. he simply cannot state two completely different versions of that particular (and fairly important, by virtue of it being the very first bit where he is actually looking for Reeva .. in his version) part of the evening .. they are two totally different accounts and are not just lapses in memory. Just like the thing with his bedroom doors being firstly shrunken due to humidity, and then swollen due to humidity .. those are two totally opposing things and nothing whatsover to do with 'memory'.

You keep dismissing these things as not being important, but they are important .. they are extremely important .. just like how OP stated the positions of the fans, and where it has been forensically proven that they could not possibly have been where he stated they were. You can't just keep ignoring these things, they have been proven .. and if they have been proven then it follows that the ear witnesses were not wrong in what they heard, and then it also follows that everything else that OP has said about him believing Reeva was an intruder is also not true.

It just seems probable to me that Ms Burger & Mr Johnson assumed that there would be other witnesses closer to the incident who heard and possibly even saw more than they did. I think that would be a reasonable assumption in such a built-up area.

It's also not clear to me that it wasn't reported. I understand that they first rang the security at their previous home - that's easy done if the number was stored on speed dial. Then they contacted their current security centre; do we know that the report wasn't passed on by them?

Like the man who was actually in the house the incident occurred in but insists he heard nothing, the poor old Burger's get it in the neck and get put through hell on the stand but yet old dear old Frank gets to slip away insisting he heard nothing, it stinks to high heaven.

BIB .. yup, I was going to say that, too :thumb:

I live in the U.S. and always have, so my "two cents" on this topic may not even be worth two cents, but it seems to me people are generally more protective of their privacy in South Africa.Even Dr. Stipp justified going to the crime scene by speculating there might be children involved. It wasn't enough that an adult woman was heard screaming. IMO, Dr. Stipp is the best and most valuable witness for the prosecution. I'm just wondering if a reluctance to get involved may be more typical than atypical in South Africa.

A friend from South Africa who moved to the U.S. once told me it was hard for him to adjust to neighbors casually greeting him on the sidewalk. He said his neighbors in South Africa kept their distance from each other, their windows obscured by hedges. That was many years ago, and it was just one person's opinion, but it's something I've thought about quite a bit throughout this trial.
I've experienced both - UK suburban MYOB and South African white middle class suburban living - albeit in CT which is very different to Pretoria. Anyway it is like an English suburbia x 10. Amazing, fabulous country but definitely the conditions (due to cultural & historical reasons) mean that you Mind Your Own Business. Then you have to factor in the wariness of crime - which you would have to do in many UK city centres, less affluent places here.
No facts yet on whether OP has anxiety disorder but SilverWoods is not a scary, crime-prone enclave. But I agree totally on neighbour's wariness to intervene. For balance, there are plenty of places just the same in the UK.

I'm sorry but I am a get involved type of person if they chose not to get involved knowing that they heard screams on the night of a killing then their character is questionable to me. The greater good and all that.

Since I already addressed this in a previous exchange with you, that apparently the original post has been deleted as I cannot now find my response..

Why would you expect a witness to leave their own gated community at 3am to try and get into an adjoining gated community(which I presume would be locked down, no visitors, at that time of night) to followup on some screams that they in fact had no way of knowing exactly where they originated from, especially if it was so dangerous that a grown woman would be too afraid to drive herself home after 10pm and the accused was so full of terror that he felt the need to fire 4 deadly bullets into a closed toilet room door because he heard a noise...?

They had in fact called their own security, twice iirc, but were told that there was nothing they could do about it. Whether they then felt they had exhausted their options, since even their own security felt they couldn't do anything, I'll leave up to the judge. Do we know whether they had also tried calling the police, even though they hadn't seen anything and didn't know where the screams came from?

Like the man who was actually in the house the incident occurred in but insists he heard nothing, the poor old Burger's get it in the neck and get put through hell on the stand but yet old dear old Frank gets to slip away insisting he heard nothing, it stinks to high heaven.

Yah think?

So you... 'don't know how the judge will come out on this'...your own words firstly.

And could you please tell us all why 'She's going to have to reject some portions of ear witness testimony and reconcile it with the physical evidence'?

Incredibly heavy statement ( some would say presumptuous) by you saying...
'She's going to have to...'

<modsnip>

IMO....You'd be great for the OP defence team.
Well obviously, the 6 "gunshots" Stipp heard are not in line with the physical evidence.

It seems that even though we have gone through months of testimony and evidence and nearly all of the trial, save a witness or two left over until OP gets done with his Criminal psych eval, many people are struggling to understand the meanings and differences between the two words "possible" and "probable".

prob·a·ble
&#712;präb&#601;b&#601;l/
adjective
likely to be the case or to happen.
"it is probable that the economic situation will deteriorate further"
synonyms: likely, most likely, odds-on, expected, anticipated, predictable, foreseeable, ten to one; More

Lt. Gen. Honore at the link:

http://youtu.be/qv5m4hTMuWU

>snipped by me for brevity<

Because I believe that she is unencumbered by confirmation bias, she is not getting pats on the back for her "opinions", she knows the law, she interprets the law, she has vast experience, she knows how to view the situation objectively and not make up scenarios about what would have could have happened in the hours when Reeva and Oscar were alone, she knows how to weigh testimony, she physically saw Oscar's testimony and she is physically there (which is very different than watching it on the internet), she is familiar with the levels of fear in which people even in gated communities live in SA and so on.

One can reasonably hope that a sitting judge will come to a a more well reasoned, lawful decision than a group of folks on the internet.

I disagree with you and your assumption of just a 'group of folks on the internet' .. there are some extremely intelligent people out there, believe it or not, and whilst they may not be qualified in law, they know how to investigate and work things out in a highly intelligent and rational manner. Knowledge of the law isn't required to be able to do those things.

I'm certainly not encumbered by confirmation bias, right from the start I said that I wanted OP's version to be true because, out of the two horrific scenarios, OP's version would be the marginally better one from Reeva's perspective, and seeing as Reeva was the one blasted to bits it is she who I am concerned for, not OP and I really wanted his version to be true for her sake (and her family and friends). But as I listened to all the evidence and testimonies, there is proof that OP's version isn't true so I have to go with that, much as I would prefer not to. So, if I have any bias at all, it was originally towards OPs version because I would really rather the version of him intentionally shooting her was not true, because that version is just too horrific for words. Sadly there is just way too much evidence now, and everything points to Reeva having been shot in cold blood. Seriously, I would really rather it wasn't the case and I've absolutely no doubt that others on here would rather it wasn't, either.

I don't really understand the bit about 'pats on the back', I don't know anyone here who is just saying they believe what they believe to be the truth simply because it means someone else is going to agree with them .. people are stating what they believe to be the truth based on the evidence, and based on all the testimonies and cross examinations they have sat through .. nothing more, nothing less.

Pretty much everyone the State has called has come across as more credible and having more integrity ultimately than the Standers. Ultimately* the Burgers did the right thing.

Moving on to the forthcoming Weskoppies evaluation I wonder if some of OP's associates ( as opposed to his family) will feel - outside of the pressure of a televised trial and beyond Oscar's jaw-clenched cold stare- they can be a little more impartial?

I'm thinking of his coach Ampie Louw and agent Peet van Zyl who will surely be called for interview by the psych panel. If OP had had longstanding GAD they would have seen the symptoms. Equally they could recount many instances which link to NPD/APD. Or, is everyone going to lie? ( Which links back to my initial Burger point.* Even if one can't do the right thing initially..... there's often an opportunity later.) Although I perceive that OP has a difficulty with remorse, still hope that others who know him well might have reflected and be honest in their interviews.

I'm not saying van Zyl/Louw will push him under the bus now that OP is no longer an income-generating asset. That would be too cynical. But according to sports reports OP and Louw already "had planned to give up track together after the next Olympics and Paralympics in Rio" in 2016.

http://sports.ndtv.com/othersports/athletics/203719-oscar-pistorius-agent-begins-canceling-races

What about the Standers' testimony did you find lacking in credibility?

Yes, the Burgers did the right thing by coming forward and making themselves available as witnesses even though they initially tried to stay out of it.

I do hope that everyone the Panel talks to is completely honest and not trying to spin things one way or another.

Yes, the Burgers did the right thing by coming forward and making themselves available as witnesses even though they initially tried to stay out of it.

I do hope that everyone the Panel talks to is completely honest and not trying to spin things one way or another.

I personally find it really weird that they would interview anyone other than OP himself. The only place where they should be providing any information is within the court itself (imo).

<modsnip>

Is it Oscar and his immediate family who they're taking to? Thank you x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members