Jurors names to be released on or after 10/25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My goodness I don't think HHJBP felt Casey was innocent, and imo he did not think Baez was competent counsel.

HHJBP did everything by the book and followed the letter of the law in this case. He did a BRILLIANT job imo/ime

I agree juror safety should be for all cases, and I pray legislative amendments happen asap

BBM ... Check out "The Girl in the Little Blue Dress," a case profiled on Dateline MSNBC about Michelle, last seen by her father (divorced) at the age of three when the mother (full custody), boyfriend, their six-year-old son and the boyfriend's son moved w/o a forwarding address.

When located, mother claimed child was left with friends, then later her mother. 32 years later mother and second ex-husband were charged with murdering the little girl, who was never reported missing and whose remains were never found.

Mother blamed second husband. Two hung juries later, the judge dismissed the charges against her citing insufficient evidence. He said she could never again be charged with Michelle's murder.

So after four years in prison, Donna Prentice was released.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23592454/ns/dateline_nbc-crime_reports/t/girl-little-blue-dress/

Such a sad case. The poor father will never have any closure. At least CA and GA got to bury Caylee. It's particularly chilling to read the brother's account when his mother tells him he should "be grateful I chose you."

I think the point that folks aren't catching is that a missing child is never unreported. In each case, Michelle Pulsifer and Caylee Anthony, the child was reported missing by a non-custodial relative. The custodial mothers did not report the child missing because, from their perspective, the child is not missing. The child was discarded. There's no reason to report a child missing when one is not interested in locating the child and knows perfectly well where the child's remains have been concealed.

I agree with all that. Quick question though, is this the same trial (publicity wise) if Casey Anthony was a man? Would it have the same attention nationwide? Would it have the same attention on this forum? Everything (the crazy family, lies, etc) are all the same except the gender of the defendant.
Yes it would- see Scott Peterson- convicted of 1st degree murder of his wife and unborn son. Now resides on Death Row at San Quentin prison!!! His mother was nearly as bad as Cindy Anthony- her name is Jackie Peterson.

Besides, if the names haven't been released how are the jurors getting threats? No one knows who they are except that #3 and I'm surprised she didn't give her address too.

..3 of them have let their names out.
..#3 jennifer ford of course.

..#16 dean eckstadt---25 year old who "lives with the parentals" and told GMA that he thought baez was "unique and entertaining".

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/43669536#43669536
---#16----Good Morning America

..#14 russ huekler ---who can't get enough of his own name in print--------and then complains that he's being harassed.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts/criminal/article1181900.ece

Russ Huekler, an alternate juror in the Casey Anthony murder trial, was hit with hundreds of insulting letters, e-mails, Facebook posts and phone calls from strangers calling him "ignorant" and "scum."

Huekler, 51, also had to deal with his own mother and siblings complaining about the verdicts. And, to add further insult, he and the jury foreman were forced to change dinner plans they'd made during the trial to meet at a restaurant they both liked, Skyline Chili in Clearwater, after the trial.

A sign at the restaurant said: "Pinellas County jurors NOT welcome!!!"
Huekler tried to take it all in stride until the threatening letter arrived at his house several days after the verdict. "I know where you live," said the anonymous writer. "I hope you drown."

St. Petersburg police, upon learning that Huekler swims in his backyard pool every day, opened an investigation.

..i wonder what ever became of #6--the one who was holding out for "5 figures" to speak up....

Here's what bother's me so much about the jurors and this withholding of names by JBP...

Most of MSM already have the jurors names; so why the big "hush hush" act to the media?

And even though TV producers have been scrambling for days in Pinellas County, working hard to secure interviews with jurors on the widely-covered murder trial whose identities have been kept from the public by the court, Van Susteren said their names were hardly unknown to the army of bookers trying to land the next big exclusive for network morning and cable news shows.

"Everybody in media here knows who they are. Sometimes we're tripping over each other at these people's homes, because everybody knows."

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/media...pinellas-county-public-backlash-biggest-obsta

..3 of them have let their names out.
..#3 jennifer ford of course.

..#16 dean eckstadt---25 year old who "lives with the parentals" and told GMA that he thought baez was "unique and entertaining".

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/43669536#43669536
---#16----Good Morning America

..#14 russ huekler ---who can't get enough of his own name in print--------and then complains that he's being harassed.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts/criminal/article1181900.ece

..i wonder what ever became of #6--the one who was holding out for "5 figures" to speak up....

Juror #16....same one who said he found Ms. Anthony to be "sincere". :rolleyes:

What a great post! I could not agree more.

What I find so interesting about this whole mess of a trial is that all research I had done about Judge Perry showed him as a fair and impartial judge, very knowledgeable of the law, no nonsense allowed in his courtroom, etc. Judge Perry even stated once during Casey's trial that trials are about finding "the truth."

While most were ready to canonize this impressive judge, I was bothered by some of the antics going on in the courtroom that went completely ignored by him.

With any trial, the judge should run a tight ship. With a high-profile trial like this, it is even more important to do so. Yet, we saw Casey testify on her own behalf without ever getting up on the stand! She did this on pretty much a daily basis. Plus, both sides are guilty of facial expressions while the other was speaking. Judge Perry had issued an order at the onset that he would not tolerate such displays, yet he did in fact tolerate it over and over. While the judge did several times call counsel on this, he never once called the defense out regarding their client's facial expressions, nodding, head shaking, and mouthing words. I will never believe that the judge did not see this happening.

And it was not even just during the trial that I was concerned about things being lax. I recall one potential juror being sent out in the middle of voir dire and when she returned she reported that a man had approached her and had spoken to her. They went to a secret venue to select the jury so why was the area not secure? A man had freedom to approach a potential juror who had been sent out of the room so that she would not be *tainted* by anything being said? Yes, she was dismissed, but the fact that this happened at all is a huge red flag, IMO.

Judge Perry catered to these jurors for the entire trial. I have no problem with him trying to keep them happy and comfortable as sequestration forces certain discomforts on jurors. However, when the jurors saw the judge bending over backward for their benefit, and then saw what appeared to be the judge doing the same for the benefit of the defense, it is reasonable to be concerned, IMO.

Could the jury have been given the impression that the judge favored the defense, and could that have affected their ultimate decision in this case? Could this jury have simply delivered a verdict that they thought the judge wanted to hear?

It certainly appeared to me in many instances during this trial that the judge catered to the defense, and especially the defendant. Could the jurors have read something into that?

We have a judge who apparently throughout his career did everything by the book and followed the letter of the law in all respects, until the Casey Anthony case. Since his other trials were not televised there is, of course, no way to know for certain that he was not lax in other cases as well, but his exemplary reputation as a judge suggests that this is not the case.

And now post-trial, the judge wants this case treated differently than all others to ensure the jurors' safety. Ok, I agree juror safety should be a consideration, but it should be for all jurors in all cases, not just this one.

If this case is so special that it cries out for special treatment of the jurors post-trial, then the judge should go all the way with that and place a post-trial gag order on the jurors.

Very interesting and thought provoking post.

IMO

He may not release them on Oct 25, that remains to be seen, it was said "on or after". bbm The jurors safety is very important, reading the order it was safety and future implications for juried trials that concerned him, and concerns me as well.

Nothing good will come out of their names being released imo. It's shocking to me privacy laws don't cover this, they should imo/ime. Many things are kept private, for various reasons. The jurors identities and deliberations should have the same protection imo. Deliberations can and should be investigated when needed imo, but not by the public.

With all due respect, I disagree you on the withholding of the jurors name. Nothing good will come out of their names not being released. There should be complete transparency, otherwise we will be no better than the justice system in some third world country. If jurors are allow to hide under anonymity, there will be more unfair jury nullifications verdicts. I also feel deliberations should be recorded. The public trust in the judicial system far outweighs the “imaginary” threats of 12 incompetent jurors. This is my own opinion and not subject to change.

With all due respect, I disagree you on the withholding of the jurors name. Nothing good will come out of their names not being released. There should be complete transparency, otherwise we will be no better than the justice system in some third world country. If jurors are allow to hide under anonymity, there will be more unfair jury nullifications verdicts. I also feel deliberations should be recorded. The public trust in the judicial system far outweighs the “imaginary” threats of 12 incompetent jurors. This is my own opinion and not subject to change.

I agree with the BBM. I have tried to write this post 3 times and can't put into words. I am trying to understand how releasing the jurors names will hold them more accountable for verdicts that ? think are unjust. Who decides which ones are just and which ones are not? The courts have the jurors names and IMO they have not shown concern as to how the verdict was reached. IMO, our system does need an overhaul..just trying to reason as to how jurors names being released to the public will change how justice is served. Hope this made sense :crazy:

If the country had been happy with the verdict and not been up in arms about the lack of justice for Caylee we would already know the jury members names. I feel sure that all of them would have willingly gone on tv to announce to the world how they came up with their verdict. Unfortunately for them, most do not agree with the verdict so they go into hiding. I guess if they wanted to feel love from strangers they should have taken their job more seriously.

MOO

At this point, I really don't care who the jurors are. Waiting until Oct to release their names just gives them time to get together and fine tune their stories.

I feel strongly they are in communication with each other and each one is deciding on how to speak to the media with a collective "same story"........I think I read further up on this thread they have all agreed they don't want any of them speaking out any more.
That tells me they are collaborating.

I disagree with their verdict, but it is now a done deal. So, I don't care anymore who they are. After listening to JF and the foreperson, it upset me way too much to hear their illogical reasoning.

I am just waiting patiently for true justice to come to Caylee. And it will!!

ETA, this is just MOO!

What a great post! I could not agree more.

What I find so interesting about this whole mess of a trial is that all research I had done about Judge Perry showed him as a fair and impartial judge, very knowledgeable of the law, no nonsense allowed in his courtroom, etc. Judge Perry even stated once during Casey's trial that trials are about finding "the truth."

While most were ready to canonize this impressive judge, I was bothered by some of the antics going on in the courtroom that went completely ignored by him.

With any trial, the judge should run a tight ship. With a high-profile trial like this, it is even more important to do so. Yet, we saw Casey testify on her own behalf without ever getting up on the stand! She did this on pretty much a daily basis. Plus, both sides are guilty of facial expressions while the other was speaking. Judge Perry had issued an order at the onset that he would not tolerate such displays, yet he did in fact tolerate it over and over. While the judge did several times call counsel on this, he never once called the defense out regarding their client's facial expressions, nodding, head shaking, and mouthing words. I will never believe that the judge did not see this happening.

And it was not even just during the trial that I was concerned about things being lax. I recall one potential juror being sent out in the middle of voir dire and when she returned she reported that a man had approached her and had spoken to her. They went to a secret venue to select the jury so why was the area not secure? A man had freedom to approach a potential juror who had been sent out of the room so that she would not be *tainted* by anything being said? Yes, she was dismissed, but the fact that this happened at all is a huge red flag, IMO.

Judge Perry catered to these jurors for the entire trial. I have no problem with him trying to keep them happy and comfortable as sequestration forces certain discomforts on jurors. However, when the jurors saw the judge bending over backward for their benefit, and then saw what appeared to be the judge doing the same for the benefit of the defense, it is reasonable to be concerned, IMO.

Could the jury have been given the impression that the judge favored the defense, and could that have affected their ultimate decision in this case? Could this jury have simply delivered a verdict that they thought the judge wanted to hear?

It certainly appeared to me in many instances during this trial that the judge catered to the defense, and especially the defendant. Could the jurors have read something into that?

We have a judge who apparently throughout his career did everything by the book and followed the letter of the law in all respects, until the Casey Anthony case. Since his other trials were not televised there is, of course, no way to know for certain that he was not lax in other cases as well, but his exemplary reputation as a judge suggests that this is not the case.

And now post-trial, the judge wants this case treated differently than all others to ensure the jurors' safety. Ok, I agree juror safety should be a consideration, but it should be for all jurors in all cases, not just this one.

If this case is so special that it cries out for special treatment of the jurors post-trial, then the judge should go all the way with that and place a post-trial gag order on the jurors.

Great post. The lady who said she couldn't judge people making it to the jury was a giveaway that he was rushing jury selection too imo.

I don't think the jurors names should be released at all - why are they? To me it would be dangerous in quite a few cases - I sure wouldn't want to serve on a jury knowing that my name would be out there. In Canada the names of jurors are protected by a publication ban. Other countries might follow suit - not sure. I see no purpose for the names to released.

I have a hypothetical question.

Let's say you were picked for jury duty. It's a high profile gang leader. You show up with the other jury members first day....and the courtroom is crammed with gang leader's members and supporters. I'm talking wall to wall supporters. TV cameras everywhere.
You eventually find him guilty. You go home. You listen to news and see the interviews or web sites where this gang member's supporters are talking about you. How they hate you. You can feel the community's hate of you and your decision.

Would you want your name released? You wouldn't mind all the gang member supporters swarming your yard and yelling obscene things in your neighborhood? You wouldn't mind the reporters outside your house? You wouldn't mind your neighbors complaining b/c of all the people and noise? You wouldn't mind going to the grocery store or out to eat and seeing a sign that's hanging up saying you are NOT welcomed? Or maybe you wouldn't mind going to the web and seeing 1000's of news articles with your name in it...calling you terrible names. What about the people that take it a step futher and dig up information not only on you....but your family? That ticket you got 15 years ago.....not so secret anymore. Oh crap...now your boss has probably read that you got a ticket. Now your boss and co-workers know everything about you.

You wouldn't feel the least bit afraid?

I disagree, and it wouldn't be like a "third world country". I am curious if there is a list of where juror identities and kept private and where they aren't.

I don't think the jurors names should be released at all - why are they? To me it would be dangerous in quite a few cases - I sure wouldn't want to serve on a jury knowing that my name would be out there. In Canada the names of jurors are protected by a publication ban. Other countries might follow suit - not sure. I see no purpose for the names to released.

ITA, and posted earlier I think they should consider following Canada, keep jurors names private, and not allow them to discuss cases and not allow them to profit. JMO

This just worries me because on one hand I can see that a jury might be in danger after a highly publicized case where public opinion runs high or in a case in which the defendant might be a danger to the jury. OTOH, I'm wary of a law that would call for keeping jurors' names secret always, 100% of the time. To my way of thinking, keeping jurors a secret opens the system up to too much chance of abuse, jury tampering, etc. If anything, I'd be much more in favor of a cooling-off period than a total secrecy policy.

is that true? could he have declared a mistrial after a verdict reading? could the case be overturned and not subject to double jeopardy if there is jury misconduct? would talking before deliberations qualify or would it need to be full in jury tampering?
No, he couldn't. That could only happen if the verdict had been guilty.

Ditto about the media and public in general who disagree with the verdict.
I don't greatly appreciate being lumped into one category.

While I don't necessarily disagree with you, there are a lot of innocent children that are murdered and nobody gives them a fraction of the attention that this case got. Why is that? Do we blame the media for not highlighting this stuff? I mean, who wants to see that kind of news every single day?
IMO it was the 31 days that caught initial intention, as well as her being a mother (not a father) accused of killing her child, and then the Anthony family antics did the rest.

I have never been called for jury duty or served on a jury before. Personally, I hope to never be on one.

I value my privacy. I didn't even know that there was a chance juror names could be released until this case. So finding that out pretty much sealed me NEVER wanting to serve on a jury.

What would happen if I found a gang member or drug dealer guilty and his friends or family came after me?
But as I understand it, the defense gets all the jury names. Even if your name as a juror is not released to the public, the defendant has your info and can still come after you or send minions after you if he/she doesn't like your verdict.

Before they left Orlando each juror was handed a "press kit" with contact information for any Network that was interested in doing an interview. More than likely, she's the one who picked ABC, not the other way around.
This is just downright nutty IMO. The court should not be in the business of giving jurors info on how to contact the media! Bah!

I was on a jury once. It was not a high profile case or a murder case or anything. I came into the assigned room and sat near the back, which was apparently a mistake because the judge decided that anyone who sat in the back didn't want to serve and should therefore be picked. :waitasec: So when we were routed into another room, the ones in the back (including me) were seated in the first rows and were ultimately chosen to be on the jury. I didn't know that was how they would pick a jury. I thought they would ask us questions like could we be fair to the defendant and what not. So my having sat in the back was not meant by me as a way to get out of it at all. Anyone, I was summarily picked and then we listened to a little bit of trial and then the defendant decided to plead guilty. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softhunterstech