Jury ends deliberations for the day.

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So will they start each day at 8:30 or 9:00 am? Are they suppose to deliberate until 6 pm each night?

Breaks for lunch, special breaks, etc?

Sorry, I have never followed a trial before AND have never been called for jury duty.

Actually saw HHJBP dismissing the jury for the night, and nothing was mentioned about a request for evidence, etc. He stated they would return at 8:30am tomorrow to resume deliberations.

Cannot wait to see what the first piece of evidence or transcript part they request first! They will. Still maybe by tomorrow p.m.

So will they start each day at 8:30 or 9:00 am? Are they suppose to deliberate until 6 pm each night?

Sorry, I have never followed a trial before AND have never been called for jury duty.

Yup. It pretty much keeps the court sked. They could choose a working lunch and to work later though, at least we've seen in other cases, IIRC. Sometimes they quit early :( like in Spector I, there was a big fight with foreman we learned later.

Even after they decide on a verdict, they have to stay for the penalty phase right? They are the same jurors doing that, correct?

I think they are working a standard business day so my guess is they are done by 6pm latest tomorrow as they are in at 8:30. Might be they only go to 5:30. I'm sure they take several breaks for potty and smoking throughout the day. Lunch is prob bought in but I don't know if they deliberate through it or not.

Even after they decide on a verdict, they have to stay for the penalty phase right? They are the same jurors doing that, correct?

If it is a conviction that need a penalty phase they will stay sequestered. There will be a 48 hour break for lawyers to get everything together but jury stays sequestered during that time. I think from there it is about another 2 weeks.

Since HHJBP is having them begin at 8:30am tomorrow, that might be the time he sets for each day. However I am not sure if 6:00pm will be the customary time for them to quit each day or if they will be able to work later. Today, for example, if they had been close to reaching a verdict, they could have asked to stay later. Later hours could be a problem, in my opinion, since the defendant and attorneys also have to be in the courtroom if the jury has a question or needs a read-back of testimony, for example.

And yes, they have lunch brought to them and may take breaks. :)

When I heard that the jury is composed overwhelmingly of females, my first thought is that they will be less likely to go with 1st degree.

Two separate actions. They come back for the guilt phase verdict, then back in to consider and recommend penalty. There is a separate trial/hearing for the penalty with witnesses to weigh mitigating factors etc. That's when we'll hear from Counselor Finnell.

If they reach a verdict of first degree murder, yes, there will be a penalty phase for which they will again have to deliberate.

If their verdict is anything less than first degree murder, they will be dismissed, as HHJBP would sentence Casey.

Does the jury realize we have to try and get back to our lives? LOL I kid, kinda :)

Thanks yall. This is the first case that I have ever followed from start to finish and I have learned a ton of stuff.

The only things I know concerning juries are what "change of venue" means and what "sequestered" means :waitasec:

How many trials have yall followed over the years?

Since HHJBP is having them begin at 8:30am tomorrow, that might be the time he sets for each day. However I am not sure if 6:00pm will be the customary time for them to quit each day or if they will be able to work later. Today, for example, if they had been close to reaching a verdict, they could have asked to stay later. Later hours could be a problem, in my opinion, since the defendant and attorneys also have to be in the courtroom if the jury has a question or needs a read-back of testimony, for example.

And yes, they have lunch brought to them and may take breaks. :)

I think they are working a standard business day so my guess is they are done by 6pm latest tomorrow as they are in at 8:30. Might be they only go to 5:30. I'm sure they take several breaks for potty and smoking throughout the day. Lunch is prob bought in but I don't know if they deliberate through it or not.

Yup. It pretty much keeps the court sked. They could choose a working lunch and to work later though, at least we've seen in other cases, IIRC. Sometimes they quit early :( like in Spector I, there was a big fight with foreman we learned later.

Thanks yall. This is the first case that I have ever followed from start to finish and I have learned a ton of stuff.

The only things I know concerning juries are what "change of venue" means and what "sequestered" means :waitasec:

How many trials have yall followed over the years?
You're welcome!

Several, with more to come. :)

I have followed lots of murdering spouse trials here in North Carolina.. I don't know what is wrong with these people thinking they can get away with it!
Scott Peterson was my first BIG trial I followed every day. I will have to see which one is interesting after this is over!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMyCa35_mOg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMyCa35_mOg[/ame]

They aren't supposed to be thinking any penalty in these deliberations. Just the charges and guilt or innocence. and you're right, there are a lot of charges with lots of evidence to consider.

Question - and please correct me if I'm wrong.

If the jurors decide on 1st degree murder, they will not choose from the DP or LWOP correct?

Your Honour decides this, no?

Certainly the jurors wouldn't have to be sequestered until the penalty phase.

Help :)

Thanks,

Mel

Cannot wait to see what the first piece of evidence or transcript part they request first! They will. Still maybe by tomorrow p.m.

Didn't I hear the lawyers and JP discussing the evidence that would be available to them in the jury room (ie, as if they were going to transfer the evidence there).

Maybe I'm wrong...wouldn't be the first time!

MOO

Mel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members