Jury ends deliberations for the day.

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am hoping the jury is already in agreement on the major charge, and chose to sleep on it overnight, and tomorrow
will hash out the rest.

It also worries me that someone will get stuck on one thing, and not see the cumulative picture.

Didn't I hear the lawyers and JP discussing the evidence that would be available to them in the jury room (ie, as if they were going to transfer the evidence there).

Maybe I'm wrong...wouldn't be the first time!

MOO

Mel

Mel I was under the same impression. In fact I think there were tweets from news organizations on this today. Let me see if I can find them

So far we know the evidence is in jury room (not that can though). They have not asked any questions so far. #CaseyAnthony -jfell

DH and I were discussing this. He opined that they probably needed further instruction by the judge about the charges (someone tweeted that the judge and jury are to meet at 8:30 a.m. tomorrow, but take that with a grain of salt).

OR...I'm wondering since the jury asked for a list of the evidence, they want to smell/touch/see the "smell" cans.
Bill S was just saying they will meet tomorrow just so he can ask them if they listened to his admonishment to not discuss the case outside of the jury room. He says he just wants to be extra cautious since it is a DP case.

So will they start each day at 8:30 or 9:00 am? Are they suppose to deliberate until 6 pm each night?

Breaks for lunch, special breaks, etc?

Sorry, I have never followed a trial before AND have never been called for jury duty.
WFTV was saying they could go longer than 6 tomorrow if needed. He ended at 6 today because of the holiday.

Didn't I hear the lawyers and JP discussing the evidence that would be available to them in the jury room (ie, as if they were going to transfer the evidence there).

MOO

Mel
I read they had all of the evidence with them except the cans of death.

I watched ICA sitting at the DT table waiting for everyone to come in to the courtroom. It seems to me that she has completely changed her demeanor since this morning when she sat there stone faced. Now she was chatting it up with JB and smiled several times. I bet ICA and the DT are starting to feel more confident since the jury has deliberated for almost 6 hrs so its not a slam dunk for the SA. Beth Karas just announced though that when the jury was walking in they never looked at ICA which she said would be a bad sign if they had walked in with a verdict. So I'm wondering if the jury has voted for guilt but deliberating on what degree she is guilty of.

IIRC didn't a few of the jurors smile at OJ when they were filing in for the verdict. I also seem to remember that one may have even nodded or winked.

Having watched many jury trials over the last 15+ years, it is difficult, if not impossible, to know what each jury will do, how long they will take, and ultimately what they will decide. It is rare for a jury to come back in a matter of a few hrs in a first degree murder case. They usually take more time. It can take a long time (a week or more) depending on the jury and if any jurors have to be replaced during the deliberation process. Typically it takes a couple days at a minimum. This case is much more complicated and has a lot of charges. Four of those charges are no-brainers (lying to law enforcement), the other 3 will take the bulk of their time.

I have followed a few trials but this 1 more closely than the others.

If jury convicts her of 1st Degree they go into penalty phase. There will be a 48 hour break for lawyers to get everything together and then they do a mini trial of sorts where both sides plead their case and witnesses can be called by both sides. It can take 2 weeks and jury is sequested from time of verdict until penalty phase ends. They make a recommendation but JP has final say. He prob goes with what they decide.

If they are going to come back with an NG, I think we will hear today or tomorrow. If it is G, I think it will take some time.

First they probably will review what they have heard this week and review evidence. And since this trial was incredibly complex, as well as a DP case that will take a while. I would think they would want to be through. Then they have to determine guilty or not guilty and then the degree. Also factor in one or two who need some convincing.

I am expecting that if it is guilty we won't hear from them until the end of the week at least or maybe even next week.

It is possible they will have court convened to ask questions or other procedural things though, just because this case is so complex and full of complex evidence.

Anyone have a list of the charges they are deliberating over? I didn't realize there were so many. I'm confused how they can charge m1 and also child neglect/abuse? Doesn't one lead to the other? Did they discuss these separately? I imagine the jurors might be overwhelmed with so many charges to choose from. Tia.

I think they are working a standard business day so my guess is they are done by 6pm latest tomorrow as they are in at 8:30. Might be they only go to 5:30. I'm sure they take several breaks for potty and smoking throughout the day. Lunch is prob bought in but I don't know if they deliberate through it or not.

It seems that the way juries work is different from state to state. I didn't sit in on a sequestered DP jury but in NYS our jury foreman was selected by the prosecution and defense working together. Also, there was a bathroom in the jury room itself. I can't speak for the other jury members but I took my responsibility very seriously and wouldn't even talk to my family about the trial until it was over. That included out of state family.

Also, lunch was brought in for us, we each ordered our own type of sub sandwich and desert. We decided to stop deliberating during lunch because just before lunch I had gotten into a heated argument with another juror and we decided to cool off.

The argument started because we were instructed that we couldn't consider the degree of penalties in our deliberations only what charges the evidence led to. One guys theory of what we should decide relied heavily on the degree of penalty each person would get. (There were three defendants) I pointed out that we can't consider the degree of penalties at all in our deliberations and he blew up at me. Later on he did the same thing and someone else pointed out to him that we couldn't consider penalties.

Let me try to clarify that better. The three were on trial for possession of pot and an additional charge of selling crack. The guy kept suggesting that we find two kids guilty of pot possession because it was a light penalty (I think a fine) and would teach them a lesson. The third we finally decided to convict of possession of pot and selling crack. The severity of the pot penalty had nothing to do with 11 of us it was just obvious by NYS law that they were guilty of it and not selling crack.

It was interesting the two kids we found guilty of possession had public defenders. The one we found guilty of selling crack too had a private lawyer. When we read the verdict the paid lawyer stood up and said that he found the verdict "Repugnant!!!" :giggle:

It took us only one day to reach a verdict.

When I heard that the jury is composed overwhelmingly of females, my first thought is that they will be less likely to go with 1st degree.

I'm not a woman so maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like women would take the murder of a little girl a lot more emotionally than a man, in most situations. JMO

Great song!

I have a question about your avatar. It seems to be a cat that's been smushed through a pop-tart and is hurtling through space with a rainbow coming out of it's :butthead:

MOO

Mel

I heard the same thing. In my trial all of the evidence, not nearly as much, was in the room for us to look at.

I'm happy to come here this morning and hear the jury asked to go to get some rest. This is a heavy burden, lots of complications, lots of charges. I would not expect them to instantly come back with a verdict.

This is the first time in 6 weeks (8 for them - jury selection) that they have been able to think out loud, express all of their emotions, anything but sit and listen. It seems to me because of the tediousness and length of the trial, they would have a hard time keeping up with everything.

They have a lot to get through, a lot to review, a lot to discuss, a lot to go think about how they personally feel after finally getting to express it.

David Westerfield - killed neighbor girl - 10 days of deliberation and death

Scott Peterson - killed wife and unborn baby - 8 days of deliberation and death

Richard Allen Davis - killed Polly Klaas - 5 days of deliberation and death

Chris Coleman - strangled wife and 2 sons - 15 hours of deliberation - 3 life sentences

Susan Smith - drowned her two little boys - 2 and a half hours of deliberation - 30 years

Anyone have a list of the charges they are deliberating over? I didn't realize there were so many. I'm confused how they can charge m1 and also child neglect/abuse? Doesn't one lead to the other? Did they discuss these separately? I imagine the jurors might be overwhelmed with so many charges to choose from. Tia.

Regarding the list of the charges, here is a link to the instructions that Judge Perry gave them, which goes into detail about each charge and the lesser included charges that the jury can consider.

http://www.wftv.com/pdf/28440564/detail.html

Also, on page 25, it says that each charge must be considered separately with a separate verdict.

Hope that helps answer your questions!

On the Twitter thread it said the jury was dressed up today. I hope that means they are close to a verdict.

Adding my two cents worth... I tried to watch this as just a jury, and then had my wife (whom hates the last three years I have dedicated to this, and does not want to hears a thin about it) watch the daily recaps. As a totally did-interested part she said that the state did not present enough evidence to remove all reasonable doubt of murder. She believes that the child did die at the hands of Casey, but not that it was murder, so much as neglect of some sort. However, she also stated that when the DT brought in the Pool, the father, RK, shotty police work, bad autopsy... well, she said that was to close to just throwing stuff at the wall. In conclusion she said that had the DT presented no case, or just claimed drowning and scared little girl, she would have voted for time served and cost. But as presented, she would vote guilty for manslaughter with 30 to life and no parole.

Personally I like having them debate as long as they need. I have listed to this for 3+years now, and have had to listen to Biaz for way too long now. I can wait a few days or weeks for them to come back and render verdit. I am confident that logic will prevail and can not wait to see the tears fly as ICA learns the BS train has derailed and although many had been hurt, she is its first casualty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member