***Jury Recommends DEATH for Mark Sievers*** Penalty/Sentencing Phase

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Mary's impact statement was more than enough by the state. When you bring the judge nearly to tears you have nothing left to add.

how does one now defend Mark? His greatest accomplishments in life; living like a carefree playboy, using women as objects, destroying marriages and lives. What can anyone possibly say to give him one redeeming feature?

I’m going to say this...I hope Bonnie doesn’t try to take responsibility for Mark’s actions. What very little I have learned about his life with his mom I understand it to have been somewhat disjointed but the only person who needs to take responsibility is Mark. Many people have things in childhood that are less than ideal and they don’t murder their spouse.

I'm wondering if the sidebar was about pictures they were going to show of Mark and the girls maybe? Trying to show how great of a dad he was?
I hope they don’t go there. He lost custody of his girls for a good reason. He was denied jail visitation for good reason. His brother lost his petition for guardianship for good reason. The family court records concerning all those hearing are sealed but, suffice it to say, it would be the height of hypocrisy for him to attempt to paint himself as a good father.

I have questioned the prosecutor's strategy lots in this case and the JRR case. I think they are doing this right. MAG was able to paint a poignant picture of the vacation weekend with her last photo of all of her children. We know that MS was plotting to kill TS as they had this wonderful vacation. His plan was in action as they played, laughed, and took photos. She described Teresa's work and livelihood in a very clear and succinct manner. She conveyed the loss of her self and her ability to move on. She gave a view of the kids and their loss. She spoke for her children beautifully. The risk here is to say too much, make it so overwhelmingly emotional that the process gets muddied with emotion. Most importantly, MAG did not acknowledge or engage with MS in any way. His actions have severed any shred of relationship. I believe that the jury will see this AND not see a lack of witnesses as less powerful or less endorsing of the DP. Rather, I think the reality is that, plain and simple, he contracted to kill her and she was a force of good will hold as much sway as a parade of people. It will also impact the defense who will have to try hard and make MS look like a redeemable human being when you have the comparison to Teresa.

I'm wondering if the sidebar was about pictures they were going to show of Mark and the girls maybe? Trying to show how great of a dad he was?

I've been thinking about all the things they could try to say, but that Mark failed to do properly. He really wasn't a great dad by taking them on play dates so he could hook up with some woman. He took their mother away from them. Girls need their mothers their whole lives.

A good nurse? A great office manager? Maybe not. Best not to bring up some of what the neighbors have to say about him, too. It's up to his loyal relatives, I guess.

I'm kind of surprised that the Judge wouldn't allow the family to stand together with their mother during her statement. I don't like it, but I do understand. He runs a tight ship, he does.

I guess Florida is different then many states. For this, she had to sit in the witness box. Many states they stand at a Podium and actually face either the judge or can face the defendant. Florida is just different.

If she is seated in the witness stand, it would have been very difficult for the family to stand around at that time versus standing at a podium.

She gave one of the most beautiful victim statements I have ever heard. My heart poured out for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member