France Karen Milsom (UK Expat), 52, Charente, Nouvelle-Aquitaine, W. France, approx 20 August 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Legally Bland

Reaction score
648.jpg

52 year old Karen has not been seen nor heard from since around 20th August 2019. She has been living in France for 15 years and has kept in regular touch with her family. Therefore this disappearance, from her home in Charente, France, is completely out of character and there are serious concerns for her.

Karen is 5ft 2ins tall and of slim build. She has jaw-length strawberry blonde hair and blue eyes.

https://www.lbtrust.org/single-post/2019/08/20/Karen-Milsom

Police investigate British woman’s disappearance in France a year ago

Her husband said that just over a year ago she had taken €6,000 and some clothes and driven off in her car. Before she left she had an outburst in the house, he said.

“She had been fishing for an argument,” he said. “She was in one of her moods … She said no one cared about her. She would fly off the handle and then a couple of hours later she would apologise.”

He added: “I was gobsmacked when she left. She said she would be in contact as and when she wanted to … Three weeks later, I got a text off her to say that the car was at Ruffec station (25 miles away).” He said he collected the car in which he found a bag of men’s clothes, possibly for a charity shop, which he disposed of.

“She left of her own accord,” he said. “I really don’t know what could have happened. I don’t think she’d have took her life. I had two phone calls from withheld numbers. I spoke to her and it was a strange conversation.”

Steven said Karen had taken the sim card from his late father’s phone. “Maybe she was craving a more exciting life … I’m hoping she’s going to show her face, but at the moment I’m in limbo.”

He reported her missing after she had been gone for three weeks. “We wanted to give her a bit of time to sort herself out,” he said. He has since been interviewed by police on a number of occasions. Most recently, gendarmes emptied the septic tank at the house and have searched the property and surrounding areas using sniffer dogs trained to find human remains, he said.

12 Nov 2019

A British citizen living in Charente has been missing since August. Justice is relaunching a call for witnesses to find this 52-year-old woman. An investigating judge was called upon to investigate this unexplained disappearance

Karen Milsom, née Ward, a British 52-year-old resident in Saint-Gourson (16) left the family home in mid-August 2019, leaving her relatives without news for several weeks.

Charente : un juge d’instruction saisi pour la disparition inquiétante d’une citoyenne britannique

(Google translated)

Sept 23 2020 rbbm.
Police are investigating the disappearance of a British woman in France a year ago | France | FR24 News English
''Karen Milsom, a Bristol-born caregiver described as ‘caring’, ’empathetic’ and someone who has always kept in touch with her friends, is one of 800 Britons reported missing abroad by the Lucie Blackman Trust, a charity named for a young woman who disappeared in Japan 20 years ago and was later found murdered.

Milsom moved to France with her husband, Steven, an electrician, and their two sons, now in their twenties, 16 years ago, first finding work in the hotel and restaurant industry. More recently, she had treated an elderly British woman.

“She’s never done anything like this in the past. It is completely irrelevant for her to behave in this way, ”said her brother, Jon Ward, a blacksmith from Gloucestershire. “We are extremely worried. She would never have left her family without contact for such a long time, so I think something has happened to my sister.''

Jones said Milsom’s mother committed suicide when she was a teenager. “I find it hard to believe that she would do this to her children,” she added.

Jones said that at a restaurant in Bristol in June of last year, Milsom told him: ‘If I had to leave, I would go very, very far.''

''He said there were now three main theories. “First, she wanted to start a new life. But it takes time to plan, and someone around you would probably have figured it out. But she could have gone to meet someone; she might be hiding somewhere.

Second, she committed suicide. “But no body has been found,” Le Floc’h said, “and suicides rarely seek to hide. There is no evidence to suggest suicide. Finally, she could have been murdered, he said.''

Karen was 52 years old when she suddenly disappeared from her home in the South Of France. This episode hears from her best friend Claire, who reveals the devastating impact that the disappearance has had on her life. Karen was down, and in a rut, before she vanished. And an argument with her husband led to her wanting a few days to herself. Karen had £6000 on her when she left. But what happened next, is a mystery. We hear about the growing panic as Karen didn’t return. A mysterious text message sent a month later. And the reappearance of her car long after she disappeared. Has Karen come to harm? Or is she living a new life, and perhaps too embarrassed to return to her old one? Claire makes an emotional appeal for answers.

The Missing / Karen Milsom

''Karen Milsom, 52, left her home in the Charente region of South of France with some clothes and 5,400 euros after an outburst in the house she shared with electrician husband Steven.

However, a mysterious text message sent a month later and the reappearance of her car long after she disappeared has resulted in a series of different theories about what happened next: Has Karen come to harm? Or is she living a new life, and perhaps too embarrassed to return to her old one? ''

''Karen was down, and in a rut, before she vanished - and an argument with her husband led to her wanting a few days to herself.

'Before she left, she was very bored with her life,' explained Claire. 'I think really she was going through the menopause and that was tough for her. She'd had two or three.

She was also looking after an old lady - that was her job. And this old lady was really quite rude to her at times. There were times when she would just think, what am I doing? Why am I doing this?'

On the weekend before she vanished, Karen and her husband Steve had argued.

Steve explained she'd been angling for a fall out - over not very much. However, when Karen left, she didn't go empty-handed.

'I can't remember the exact amount, but it was something like 4,000 euros from Steve that he'd given her and she had 2000 euros in cash herself,' explained Claire. 'My theory then when I was told how much it was, was that she's not just gone for a couple of days.'

But Claire did send the occasional message on the off-chance that Karen would see it and reply - and on 14th September, four weeks after going missing, that's exactly what happened.

'I just sent her a message to say, "I know you want to be left alone but just a quick message to tell you we love and miss you very much. Obviously we would love to hear back from you, but if you can't or don't want to for now, that's fine. I just hope you will one day soon.'

Claire continued: 'She replied saying, "Hi, Claire, missing you too. We'll be back in December to explain things.'''

'''The car turns up at the local train station and she'd sent a message to Steve saying you can come and get the car - and so he did,' explained Claire. 'So we were thinking well, check CCTV then and see where she went.'

'But there's no CCTV at that train station or no trace of anywhere that she's been.'

Investigators learned that in the first few weeks, Karen hadn't travelled far. Her phone, when it had pinged mobile masts, had been in the same region. But exactly how close - isn't reported. ''

''Karen Milsom, 52, left her home in the Charente region of South of France with some clothes and 5,400 euros after an outburst in the house she shared with electrician husband Steven.

However, a mysterious text message sent a month later and the reappearance of her car long after she disappeared has resulted in a series of different theories about what happened next: Has Karen come to harm? Or is she living a new life, and perhaps too embarrassed to return to her old one? ''

''Karen was down, and in a rut, before she vanished - and an argument with her husband led to her wanting a few days to herself.

'Before she left, she was very bored with her life,' explained Claire. 'I think really she was going through the menopause and that was tough for her. She'd had two or three.

She was also looking after an old lady - that was her job. And this old lady was really quite rude to her at times. There were times when she would just think, what am I doing? Why am I doing this?'

On the weekend before she vanished, Karen and her husband Steve had argued.

Steve explained she'd been angling for a fall out - over not very much. However, when Karen left, she didn't go empty-handed.

'I can't remember the exact amount, but it was something like 4,000 euros from Steve that he'd given her and she had 2000 euros in cash herself,' explained Claire. 'My theory then when I was told how much it was, was that she's not just gone for a couple of days.'

But Claire did send the occasional message on the off-chance that Karen would see it and reply - and on 14th September, four weeks after going missing, that's exactly what happened.

'I just sent her a message to say, "I know you want to be left alone but just a quick message to tell you we love and miss you very much. Obviously we would love to hear back from you, but if you can't or don't want to for now, that's fine. I just hope you will one day soon.'

Claire continued: 'She replied saying, "Hi, Claire, missing you too. We'll be back in December to explain things.'''

'''The car turns up at the local train station and she'd sent a message to Steve saying you can come and get the car - and so he did,' explained Claire. 'So we were thinking well, check CCTV then and see where she went.'

'But there's no CCTV at that train station or no trace of anywhere that she's been.'

Investigators learned that in the first few weeks, Karen hadn't travelled far. Her phone, when it had pinged mobile masts, had been in the same region. But exactly how close - isn't reported. ''
Wonder where this best friend lives? Is she also Steve's best friend?

JMO

The friend is easily found on Fb and appears genuine.

What was the thing about her car having a bag of men's clothes in it?
That's odd.
Well, not odd because it could mean she had been in the company of a man for the 3 weeks she was initially missing. But why leave them in the car?
And why ring the husband to tell him where the car was? Sounds like she at least cared about him enough to do that?

Oh, I don't know.

I wonder if she took her passport with her? I know France is part of the Schengen Zone, so there can be borderless travel to some other European countries, but this was only 5 months before the COVID lockdown, so she had 5 months to move around before becoming stuck.

What was the thing about her car having a bag of men's clothes in it?
That's odd.
Well, not odd because it could mean she had been in the company of a man for the 3 weeks she was initially missing. But why leave them in the car?
And why ring the husband to tell him where the car was? Sounds like she at least cared about him enough to do that?

Oh, I don't know.

I wonder if she took her passport with her? I know France is part of the Schengen Zone, so there can be borderless travel to some other European countries, but this was only 5 months before the COVID lockdown, so she had 5 months to move around before becoming stuck.
I guess I've been around WS too long. I can't be bothered racking my brain trying to understand the baffling behaviour of a long- missing wife or girlfriend. JMO, but most of the time it's not that the woman is hiding...it's that they are hidden.

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader
Back