Katherine Calloway

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Oy. Those aerial photos have been available to the general public for at least a few years, so the "concealed" argument ain't flying regardless.

The man lived on a 23,000 square foot lot! That's enormous! The stupid parole officers conducted twice monthly visits to his home for years, and on every home inspection merely looked out the back window at the tiny garden and patio with the 6 ft. high fence. "Yep, that's about the size of it...nothing to see here...Thanks, Mr. Garrido, and have a nice day! Sorry to bother you."

Didn't they have ANY idea how big the property was??? THEY SHOULD HAVE!!!

You could figure that out in 30 seconds with Google Maps, or even by walking around the block. If this is what we're paying our taxpayer dollars for, we're getting gipped!

Very good show. I hope Larry will have Phillip’s first wife on also. Phillip started this criminal behavior long ago as a batterer and rapist.

I was shocked but sadly not surprised to hear DOC say they were proud of the parole officer who did such an incompetent job. Also I felt the DOC representative was not 100% truthful when Jaycee’s father asked him about Garrido’s parole violation.

See below news story:
Garrido violated federal parole, stayed free
http://www.rgj.com/article/20090828/NEWS/90828055/1321

No one seems to know what he did to violate the parole. (More incompetence) The authorities know he is a life parolee and they don't pull his records and report it to the State of Nevada? (More incompetence)

The parole officer never looks into the felon's work or check to see if it's a legit business? Where did he house the press? In the house? How did he dispose of the toxic chemicals used in printing and cleaning a press? How could there have been proper ventilation to safely run a press inside a house?

Many of the chemicals used in the printing industry are potential hazards to human health and the environment.

His mind and those living in that house have probably been effected by breathing those chemicals for how many years.

What about joint tax returns did it show the business as a legal business? Wouldn't you think a parole officer would look at a sex crimes felon who becomes a printer a little closer?

Our justice system is becoming like MacDonald's who do they have filling these jobs and can't they get anything right?

Media and Hollywood quit depicting them as all geniuses cause they're NOT!!

I was so agitated listening to her!!!!!! :mad: She sounded like she was defending him...and she then mentioned that the media is not showing the inside of that 4000 sq ft. home....4000??????? And there have been pics of the inside and it's just as nasty as the back yard. A dump! I think she's in it for her 5 minutes and a few bucks. She's waiting for Oprah to call I'm sure! She's the one who took those pics at the party. I don't like this woman and don't think she's doing Jaycee and the girls any favors :mad:

you know after watching the repeat, I think she was just trying to say, Teh girls was not locked up 24 hrs day, she saw them 2 or 3 times a week.

I dont think she was taking up for the him. i think she was trying to explain the girls are not robots

I think she mispoke jmo

I changed it to him becouse, i was foster parent for 4 years, jaycee girls will probably always think of him as their father,
the older foster children that i have know, always wanted to go home, no matter how bad or what was done to them
that is all they know.

I have another question, I thought sex offenders was not supposed to have INTERNET in there home. if that is true, that is another thing the parole officer didn't look for

not sure if this is the right thread

I have another question, I thought sex offenders was not supposed to have INTERNET in there home. if that is true, that is another thing the parole officer didn't look for

not sure if this is the right thread

I have been searching and can't find anything yet that says that convicted sex offenders can't have access to the Internet. Back when Garrido was released there was no Internet.

I have been searching and can't find anything yet that says that convicted sex offenders can't have access to the Internet. Back when Garrido was released there was no Internet.

I thought I saw that somewhere maybe I didnt,

Patty, I do not believe a law banning the internet exists. The only thing I could find was a bill the state of IL passed this summer banning sex offenders from social networking sites.:rolleyes:

Maybe his home was so cluttered up like his backyard was and he ran out of living space? Seriously, I think he was holding victims in the shed. :mad:

I'm with you, I think this is where he brought the newer victims. Did you see the cage with the tarp supposedly next to it, ugh!

I remember the Garrett missing girl back in the 80's, since I live in the area. I wouldn't put it pass this creep to dispose of victims if they didn't "cooperate".

Jacyee conformed and after her daughters were born probably in later years spent her time in the house. Were her daughters home schooled?

These neighbors went along with this creep. If I saw a neighbor living out of tents, I'd report them.

The man lived on a 23,000 square foot lot! That's enormous! The stupid parole officers conducted twice monthly visits to his home for years, and on every home inspection merely looked out the back window at the tiny garden and patio with the 6 ft. high fence. "Yep, that's about the size of it...nothing to see here...Thanks, Mr. Garrido, and have a nice day! Sorry to bother you."

Didn't they have ANY idea how big the property was??? THEY SHOULD HAVE!!!

You could figure that out in 30 seconds with Google Maps, or even by walking around the block. If this is what we're paying our taxpayer dollars for, we're getting gipped!

Also, How did this Garrido afford such a spread on a parolee's past? Was he living off the printing business, that was obviously Jaycee's doing?
Antioch is expensive. I honestly don't see how he can afford it. Did he rob to?

During Hall's rape trial, Garrido admitted that he exposed himself to girls as young as seven years old. He served 10 years in federal prison and another seven months in a Nevada prison before he was released in 1989

http://www.kvbc.com/Global/story.asp?S=11026142

guess the fact that he was interacting sexually with children (exposing himself to seven year olds!) was OUT THERE IN LEGAL LAND! The more we learn in this case the more pi$$ed I get!!!! So many balls were dropped and mistakes made!!!

Dunno, but some sources have been mentioned.

There was the charge he received or took $18000 from his former neighbor before the neighbor went in a nursing home (2006?) and then served as caretaker for property for a few months. There are also the unsubstantiated remarks by neighbors about the loud, drinking men in the back yard who appeared to be waiting in a line (a few years ago?). He previously worked (near the where the bodies were found).

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - The man accused of abducting and sexually abusing Jaycee Lee Dugard testified during a previous kidnapping and rape case that he prowled through residential neighborhoods as a Peeping Tom and fantasized about raping women. During his 1977 kidnapping trial, Phillip Garrido also said he leered at girls as young as seven and 10, and he admitted to exposing himself to some of them.

http://www.kmph.com/Global/story.asp?S=11026568&nav=menu612_2_1

(this is halfway down the linked page... it is a news synopsis)

Also, How did this Garrido afford such a spread on a parolee's past? Was he living off the printing business, that was obviously Jaycee's doing?

I think the men from the "parties" paid a fee and that's how he made money. Local police intervened on a similar type of brothel operation in NC a few years ago (not using young girls, however).

IIRC, the house belongs to his invalid mother. I'm guessing he was living off her social security and/or retirement and any money he could con out of old men or make off his unpaid graphic artist.

This is the part of the transcript with the Agent:

And joining us now from Sacramento is Scott Kernan. Scott is undersecretary of operations, California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.

The obvious, Scott, why was Philip Garrido paroled?

SCOTT KERNAN, CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS & REHABILITATION: Well, he had completed his sentence both with the Feds for the kidnapping charge. He was transferred to the Nevada Department of Corrections for the rape charge. He was released from that sentence and on our Interstate compact agreement, which is typical, he was transferred to California for his parole supervision.

KING: Was he, therefore, a good prisoner?

KERNAN: I don't know about his history while in the Feds or with Nevada. But I know while he was on parole, there was no history of violations. He was compliant with his terms of parole.

KING: In retrospect, obviously, he shouldn't have been paroled.

But are you saying there's no way he could not have -- that he had to be paroled?

KERNAN: I believe it was consistent with the law in Nevada and certainly our parole supervision. Nevada has lifetime parole for sex offenders. We do not. And so he would be on lifetime parole with the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.

KING: Would you change the law in any way based on this?

KERNAN: You know, this is obviously a very serious crime that was committed. I -- I'd leave that up to the lawmakers and the governor.

KING: What did the parole supervas -- supervision entail?

KERNAN: Regular visits to both his house and then the offender would have to report to the parole office, anti-narcotic testing and compliance with some parole programs.

KING: People went to his house and didn't find anything, based on all of the stuff we have seen?

KERNAN: You know, Larry, every report right now suggests that this was so well concealed that anybody just would not have been able to see it. I know that the parole agent involved in this case -- and the details are still being kept, just so that we don't in any way jeopardize the prosecution of this case. He acted with real due diligence.

I'm very proud of my parole officer in this case. The fact of the matter is the neighbors for 18 years didn't see it. Neighbors that actually had been in the backyard hadn't seen it. Of so, you know, it was significantly concealed.

KING: Kate, do you have any question, Katie, you want to ask Scott?

HALL: When Phillip was paroled, I made an appointment with --

KING: Right there.

HALL: I made an appointment with this parole officer at the time, and he told me -- he said that, what do you want me to tell you, that he's well? He's not. He's a sick puppy. We're sure he's going to do this again, but we're pretty sure it's not directed at you.

KERNAN: Well, there is no doubt that this monster had some significant mental health issues. And, you know, that's why he was on parole supervision for life.

KING: Carl, anything you want to ask Scott?

PROBYN: Yes, I heard he was back in prison in 1999 and served some more time. Is that true or not?

KERNAN: I believe that, no, not in '99. When he came to our parole supervision, he had no revocations. He was not returned to California prison at all.

KING: Based on all we have learned, Scott, what changes would you recommend in the system?

KERNAN: Well, I can tell you right now, Larry, that, we are doing everything we can to review the case and the circumstances, and see what policy changes might be necessary. The parole agent in this case did perform his duties appropriately. But we will, of course, take best lessons from this, and see if there's some policy changes that might be necessary.

But our focus right now is in the full prosecution -- with the other jurisdictions, to prosecute this parolee to the fullest extent to the law and make sure he doesn't see the light of day again.

KING: Thank you, Scott Kernan, undersecretary of operations, California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.

Read whole transcript here

It never ceases to amaze me that such terrible human suffering is a required prerequisite for changes to the law. It saddens me that Katherine had to jump through hoops just to find out where her rapist was imprisoned and when he would be released. I can attest to the fact that this has changed for the better.

The Vinelink program can and does work and has been invaluable to my family. Anyone can go to this website and check on the status of a criminal:

https://www.vinelink.com/vinelink/initMap.do

Victims can register to be notified of changes in custody, etc. Because of the hard work of Oregon Crime Victims United, our family stayed up to date on our children's rapist the whole ten years he was incarcerated. We were prepared by our local DA and the AG's office for his release early this summer. The State Police have notified us of his new address and stayed in contact with me by email. California also has a crime victims' advocacy group:

http://www.crimevictimsunited.com/

These groups deserve our support as they are the ones who work tirelessly to change the laws to reflect needed protections for victims. Their members and administrators are often survivors themselves.

Obviously, this summer has been horribly tense and nerve-wracking for our family. Just knowing that our children's rapist lives 150 miles away from us (and across the street from a busy park) drives us all nuts. But knowledge is power and that is something that Katherine was wrongly denied.

I can't over-state how chilling the fact is to me that PG walked up to Katherine and spoke to her after his release. This is every victim's nightmare. It is a simple case of being totally traumatized again. My prayer is that just the fact that she has gone public will be a catharsis for her.

Hopefully, Jaycee's trauma will bring about positive change in the way our society deals with all aspects of sex offender laws and the supervision of parolees in particular.

it made me really mad that the police officer allowed Garrido to go back into the storage room alone with Callaway...where he proceeded to beg her not to turn him in. Can you imagine?! She was scared, abused, confused and the police treated her (seemingly, i understand we're all Monday moning quarterbacking) like some "overdramatic woman"....note to police, if you ever roll up on a guy and a screaming naked woman comes out, you might want to go ahead and get the full sotry before you just go along with the perps story of we're boyfriend and girlfriend and just having drug fueled consensual sex in a storage room.

"KING: People went to his house and didn't find anything, based on all of the stuff we have seen?

KERNAN: You know, Larry, every report right now suggests that this was so well concealed that anybody just would not have been able to see it. I know that the parole agent involved in this case -- and the details are still being kept, just so that we don't in any way jeopardize the prosecution of this case. He acted with real due diligence.

I'm very proud of my parole officer in this case. The fact of the matter is the neighbors for 18 years didn't see it. Neighbors that actually had been in the backyard hadn't seen it. Of so, you know, it was significantly concealed."

If he acted with "real due diligence", how come he didn't even realize Garrido lived on a 23,000 sq. ft. lot??? That's an enormous property! He didn't even look beyond the confines of the tiny little garden and back patio. I could have gotten an idea of the size of his property by merely walking around the corner. This is a very easy fact to discern, it doesn't take a rocket scientist.

And then he has the gall to try to get the neighbors on his side! Well, state parole agents are supposed to look at their parolees a lot more carefully than the neighbors! This is just out-and-out negligence, and they should just have the decency to apologize for their stupid mistakes, and not try to justify them!

:mad:

Very good show. I hope Larry will have Phillip’s first wife on also. Phillip started this criminal behavior long ago as a batterer and rapist.

I was shocked but sadly not surprised to hear DOC say they were proud of the parole officer who did such an incompetent job. Also I felt the DOC representative was not 100% truthful when Jaycee’s father asked him about Garrido’s parole violation.

See below news story:
Garrido violated federal parole, stayed free
http://www.rgj.com/article/20090828/NEWS/90828055/1321

No one seems to know what he did to violate the parole. (More incompetence) The authorities know he is a life parolee and they don't pull his records and report it to the State of Nevada? (More incompetence)

The parole officer never looks into the felon's work or check to see if it's a legit business? Where did he house the press? In the house? How did he dispose of the toxic chemicals used in printing and cleaning a press? How could there have been proper ventilation to safely run a press inside a house?

Many of the chemicals used in the printing industry are potential hazards to human health and the environment.

His mind and those living in that house have probably been effected by breathing those chemicals for how many years.

What about joint tax returns did it show the business as a legal business? Wouldn't you think a parole officer would look at a sex crimes felon who becomes a printer a little closer?

Our justice system is becoming like MacDonald's who do they have filling these jobs and can't they get anything right?

Media and Hollywood quit depicting them as all geniuses cause they're NOT!!
I wonder if this is the same PA that was said (from the Anderson interview with the campus security officers) that said "The parole agent called me on my way home from work," Jacobs said Friday. "And he was all excited ... and he said that ... he was involved with a kidnapping case and ... because I called it in, it helped solve this FBI case that was 18 years old." (From http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2009/08/31/officers-who-cracked-missing-girl-case-something-wasnt-right/)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roiana
Back