Katrina survivors distraught over pets

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
kgeaux said:
What a cutie! My heart continues to ache over a pit that was swimming desperately toward a rescue boat as they were pulling away---I hope he's OK.
oh no, they didn't stop to get him?? :(

PrayersForMaura said:
oh no, they didn't stop to get him?? :(

Nope. Unless they stopped after the camera quit filming. But I think they left him.

Rescued Dogs Airlifted From Gulf Coast

By BRIAN SKOLOFF, Associated Press Writer

The first major airlift of dogs from the hurricane-battered Gulf Coast left Louisiana on Sunday, carrying about 80 pets to new temporary homes in California.

The Continental Airlines flight from Baton Rouge, La., was chartered for about $50,000 by Texas oil tycoon Boone Pickens and his wife, Madeleine, in a movement dubbed "Operation Pet Lift."

Some dogs were placed in cages in the cargo section while others rode in the passenger cabin, where they barked and wagged their tails.

"They'd been in cages far too long. We felt like they needed to be free so they sat on our laps, and we played with them the whole way," said Christine Penrod, Madeleine Pickens' sister, who accompanied the animals on the flight.

About half the dogs were headed for San Diego, with the rest bound for San Francisco. Sunday's move was organized by PetRelocation.com, based in Austin, Texas.

"The goal was to help rescue 200 dogs," Pickens' spokesman Jay Rosser said. "They're overjoyed that they were able to rescue 80, but clearly disappointed and dismayed at the bureaucracy, which prevented them from taking the full 200."

Organizers complained that some legal requirements were impractical, such as waiting out a 30-day quarantine before transporting the animals.

Kelly Harrington, director of disaster response services for the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, said a makeshift shelter for up to several thousand dogs had been set up at the Lamar-Dixon Expo Center in Gonzales, La., about 45 miles northwest of New Orleans.

She hoped additional dogs would be flown out in the coming days, but said the effort was taking time.

"Every animal has to be vet checked, vaccinated and microchipped ... so we can track these animals in case an owner does find them," Harrington said.

Petfinder.com was setting up a database of pet pictures to help reunite owners with lost animals.

Andrew Rowan, executive vice president of operations for the Humane Society United States, said animals must be moved out of the Gonzales facility quickly to make room for "maybe 50,000 or more dogs and cats in New Orleans that need to be rescued."

"There are vans and cars and trucks all over the place," he said. "Dogs are barking, cats are meowing. It's a tremendous logistical operation to provide the care that these animals need."

The Humane Society's Dave Pauli, director of the Gonzales facility, said 200 animals were shipped out Sunday by truck to Houston, but rescue teams expected to bring in about 300 more in the afternoon.

About 200 animals have been reunited with their owners at the facility.

"That's what keeps us going," Pauli said. "Every one of them brings a tear to your eyes and makes these sleepless nights worth it."

___

On The Net:

ASPCA: http://www.aspca.com Humane Society United States: http://www.hsus.org

More heroes! :clap:
Thanks, DK!

They showed a team of 34 rescue guys arriving back in the Bay Area from 10 days in Louisiana . On the same plane were 50 rescued dogs from New Orleans being brought to Marin County. They said 1,000 more dogs would be arriving here later this week. Wow, that's a large effort and great news.

Buzzm1 said:
They showed a team of 34 rescue guys arriving back in the Bay Area from 10 days in Louisiana . On the same plane were 50 rescued dogs from New Orleans being brought to Marin County. They said 1,000 more dogs would be arriving here later this week. Wow, that's a large effort and great news.

That is wonderful news!

Has anyone here filled out the apps and gotten a pet???? I have filled out two and haven't heard a word. I know there are a couple people at my kids schools who have foster pets from Katrina. I am thinking maybe because we are already over the "city limit" we're not hearing anything. We have 3 dogs and a cat....and I would love to take an animal in. Please let me know if others are getting response........thanks :)

poco said:
I would be a basket case if I had to leave my dog behind. I really don't think I could do it!
Me either. That first story makes me just sick. I love my little dogs, birds, rabbits, mini horses, fish, kitten, and turtles.:(

Sassygerl said:
Has anyone here filled out the apps and gotten a pet???? I have filled out two and haven't heard a word. I know there are a couple people at my kids schools who have foster pets from Katrina. I am thinking maybe because we are already over the "city limit" we're not hearing anything. We have 3 dogs and a cat....and I would love to take an animal in. Please let me know if others are getting response........thanks :)

No response from the offer to foster a pet, but that could be cuz I admitted we have a pit. He's nice, but I guess they don't know that. I have bought lots of dog and cat food and taken it to the local Katrina Pet Shelter. I drove by tonight on my way to pick up one of my sons and people were out walking the dogs.....that's what I want to do next. I LOVE dogs!

kgeaux said:
No response from the offer to foster a pet, but that could be cuz I admitted we have a pit. He's nice, but I guess they don't know that. I have bought lots of dog and cat food and taken it to the local Katrina Pet Shelter. I drove by tonight on my way to pick up one of my sons and people were out walking the dogs.....that's what I want to do next. I LOVE dogs!
That is very sweet of you. I do love my pets like they are people too.:D

PrayersForMaura said:
I want this dog!!!!

19349611.jpg

I saw the photo was copyrighted by the AP.
I want to find this dog
I seriously wrote every organization and people who found cockers about this dog and other cockers and no one seems to need one fostered!!! :waitasec: :snooty: :slap:
Everyone is keeping the cockers!!! They all claim they have this particular one too. LOL
I wrote people who posted that they found cockers and every one of them said that if the owners do not contact them , they are keeping the dog!!! :(
I guess that is good news and I should be happy. I just want to help! I was under the impression that I was going to be able to foster for sure...

I am willing to take any dog, honestly.... not just cockers. i offered to drive down there, or anywhere to pick an animal up. no one has taken me up on the offer. I have filled out forms, written numerous emails, and answered ads. I own two healthy, lovable dogs. I have great references from my vet, make great money to support them, have a great home with a yard (non-fenced in unfortunately) in a great neighborhood with a lot of pets of all sizes, and have not had any call backs. i guess they are just too busy or something.

I am really disappointed.
:(

I've donated money though. i guess that's all i can do at the moment.
I'm really bummed out, honestly.

PrayersForMaura said:
I seriously wrote every organization and people who found cockers about this dog and other cockers and no one seems to need one fostered!!! :waitasec: :snooty: :slap:
Everyone is keeping the cockers!!! They all claim they have this particular one too. LOL
I wrote people who posted that they found cockers and every one of them said that if the owners do not contact them , they are keeping the dog!!! :(
I guess that is good news and I should be happy. I just want to help! I was under the impression that I was going to be able to foster for sure...

I am willing to take any dog, honestly.... not just cockers. i offered to drive down there, or anywhere to pick an animal up. no one has taken me up on the offer. I have filled out forms, written numerous emails, and answered ads. I own two healthy, lovable dogs. I have great references from my vet, make great money to support them, have a great home with a yard (non-fenced in unfortunately) in a great neighborhood with a lot of pets of all sizes, and have not had any call backs. i guess they are just too busy or something.

I am really disappointed.
:(

I've donated money though. i guess that's all i can do at the moment.
I'm really bummed out, honestly.
They were taking dog food donations here. I wonder if it will go to the ones who still have dogs with them...or people that are fostering them. Either way, I don't care. I was just wondering. I hope you get a call back. If ya do...post a pic of your foster pup.:D IMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fruit
Back