Found Safe Kayla Durler, 17, Mistakenly sent to school when school was closed, Pittsburgh, 5 January 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is a Google Street view of Stanwix St. and I did street walk. It isn't a particularly long street. I noted a church and several cameras at intersections. It seems that they should have been able to pick up which way she went after departing the bus. MOO MOO MOO

I wonder if knew her destination when she boarded the bus or if it was a random boarding. That area must have had many pedestrians that morning as she stepped off since there are so many office buildings within walking distance. She must have been seen on camera, if she entered any of the buildings. I wonder if the church was open for lunch programs. MOO MOO MOO

Where are these comments found?

Not the OP, but jmho the poster is SP, the family member replying is MF.

Certainly could be mixed up, I do get a great deal of exercise jumping to conclusions & have been known to create dots when otherwise there are not enough dots to connect....

jmho ymmv lrr

Not the OP, but jmho the poster is SP, the family member replying is MF.

Certainly could be mixed up, I do get a great deal of exercise jumping to conclusions & have been known to create dots when otherwise there are not enough dots to connect....

jmho ymmv lrr
I hate FB as I see no comments from SP. not sure why or how the algorithm works for some but not all. Not the first time FB has betrayed someone lol

Another with years of experience with public schools & enough with adults receiving services. Any program I've ever known would have an assigned staff member/para/aide/teacher to meet this student at the bus. That driver would likely not open the door without that staff member there to receive the student.

And -- what's up at that group home? This resident's program is closed for the day & no one knows?

imho, any licensed driver in the USA can tell the difference between a public high school that is open -- and a public high school that is closed.

I expect that this was not the regular driver and not the usual staff at the group home?

Kayla, where are you???

jmho ymmv lrr

The pay for being a group home technician (staff), is low, as the homes are subsidized by Medicaid rates, they are run by companies to have the lowest possible overhead. Staff comes and goes. No one ever seems to be "in charge", communication between evening staff and morning staff is non-existent.

This is not isolated, I have done audits on these places, and it is prevalent.

School bus drivers, similar, low pay, the driver here can say he did what he was told to do. Pick up a person at one place, drop her off at another place. That is his "job".

Looks like everyone did their "job" correctly. Except at the school, there should have been a person coordinating what to do with children who were dropped off automatically. And it sounds like there was, Kayla was told to stay where she was...and she wandered off.

Hopefully, she will be found soon.

I honestly can't fathom how this can happen, surely it would have been obvious the school was closed?

I don't think it's good enough to say the driver did their job, everyone has a duty to safeguard. It shouldn't need to be in your job description!

This is heartbreaking. I wish we knew how functioning she is. I know she's scared to death! Praying some good soul will recognize that she's lost and needs their help! I hope that they are broadcasting this all over the area. She could be riding buses all over the area looking for her way home! Do we know if she had any money for food?

I work in a sole special education school and have worked in gen ed/special ed combination schools as well. The idea that a bus driver would drop off with no one receiving a special education student is just inconceivable in any school where I have worked, hands down. These students are designated as vulnerable which is why they don't get public bus transportation cards as their gen ed counterparts do. Very often there is a matron assigned to buses when the children have these designations. With the school being closed, there were any number of clues for the driver, no other buses, no activity at the doors. We don't know what the daily routine was but I am bus company was notified of the closure. My school takes students from at least 5 differing districts. When closures or issues arise, every contract or district company is notified. Something here is not right.

Oh my goodness I hope she’s found safe.

A lot of my role used to involve working with vulnerable children in special schools - I just cannot understand this situation at all.

The transport drivers at the schools I was at would never let a child get off the bus unaccompanied - there’s a clear handover process in place.

Also these transport drivers often pick up other children - surely the other children’s parents would have notified them that the school was closed?

I really hope this girl is safe

from Stowe Township police searching for missing teen ,Police told Pittsburgh's Action News 4 that Kayla was dropped off at school after traveling from a group home in West Mifflin. She stayed around the school for a while and talked to someone who told her to stick around, but she left. She went to a convenience store, then got on a PRT bus at Broadway and Dale streets just before 10 a.m. The 24 bus route was headed for downtown.

Who was the someone who told her to "stick around"? Were they a contractor, maintenance person or school official? Was this person outside or did she talk to this person inside the building?

Failures in lots of places it seems.

Oh my goodness I hope she’s found safe.

A lot of my role used to involve working with vulnerable children in special schools - I just cannot understand this situation at all.

The transport drivers at the schools I was at would never let a child get off the bus unaccompanied - there’s a clear handover process in place.

Also these transport drivers often pick up other children - surely the other children’s parents would have notified them that the school was closed?

I really hope this girl is safe
Possibly she was the only passenger, or if not, the only passenger for the high school.

I work in a sole special education school and have worked in gen ed/special ed combination schools as well. The idea that a bus driver would drop off with no one receiving a special education student is just inconceivable in any school where I have worked, hands down. These students are designated as vulnerable which is why they don't get public bus transportation cards as their gen ed counterparts do. Very often there is a matron assigned to buses when the children have these designations. With the school being closed, there were any number of clues for the driver, no other buses, no activity at the doors. We don't know what the daily routine was but I am bus company was notified of the closure. My school takes students from at least 5 differing districts. When closures or issues arise, every contract or district company is notified. Something here is not right.
Exactly!
As a teacher myself (in Europe) I can attest that such special education needs pupils always travel with a carer who takes care of them during the journey to and from school.
The driver drives and the carer takes care of the kids :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flimflam
Back