DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thats actually my very favorite bkfst! :D

mug of hot coffee...
slice of cold leftover pizza...
quiet Saturday morning...
reading @ WS...
heaven!

I hope my dear Glow that you are enjoying such a saturday today!!

Boyz_mum hubby and I have always contended that sugary cereal as a snack is certainly healthier than cookies.

Mygirlsadie we are the same way here.... We try not to make food a huge issue in our house as it seems that food becomes an issue to many people..
By that I mean that people worry a lot about food and it creates stressed adults with eating issues IMO.

Autumn I appreciate your post but I do have to say that for any topic you can find the extreme on the internet and often what is written has taken a sensationalistic spin.... For years animal rights groups have taken glee in going for the shock value while attacking meat producers.
I would have to take any thing like that that I read with a grain of salt as its ALMOST always backed by animal rights groups which have their own agenda.
I am not discounting it entirely.... however, it would be financial devistation for a business to conduct themselves that way...
Especially one with animal rights groups breathing down their necks.
Meat producers are in business to make money and the best way to do that is to provide a quality product..

I would also question the legality of not disclosing what is used on these foods.
It was my understanding that they must provide complete disclosure..
Even if they did not have to state certain ingrediants, they certainly cannot lie about it.
Corn being sprayed on something does not seem alarming to me??
At least its a natural additive.

Oh God liquid cancer?? Ughhh no wonder I never really cared for milk.

Personally as long as the group did not see a profit from this lawsuit I see nothing wrong with it. Yes, parents should be more aware of what is going in their children's mouth but *joe's parents* may not care if there kid has tons of sugar on his plate and he is only 6 and what is the harm of making it a little more healthier if it tastes the same? Transfats do not change the flavor only give it a longer shelf life. I think they should be made healthier. If they eliminated transfats here your food would be fresher, I would think that would be a good thing and local businesses would get used more business due to shorter shipping times needed.

Our food is horrid and they are trying to settle down the obesity epidemic but I personally think they are looking at it in the wrong direction. High fructose corn syrup is proven to slow down metabolism and its still in absolutely everything. Bagged lettuce, fresh vegetables, meats, salads from mcdonalds, its how the lettuce can stay green and fresh for days when if you cut it yourself from your garden it would not. Corn is not a top ten allergen so they are not required to tell you if its sprayed on a product since its a spray not an additive, even if you called the company they do not legally have to tell you. The government also neglects to share that 89% of cows in the united states in the dairy industry are infected with bovine leukemia so basically your drinking liquid cancer. YUM! Fda is big money and they are not going to change things unless they absolutely have to, too much money is able to be made. They do not care about your health.

ETA- here's a few links for bovine leukemia so you see Im not talking out my butt :D if your interested.
http://www.rense.com/general21/89percentdairy.htm
http://extension.missouri.edu/xplor/ag
http://www.alkalizeforhealth.net/Lnotmilk16.htmguides/ansci/g02120.htm

The best thing we can do for our children is teach them "label intelligence." When my daugher asks for something, we check out the label so we know what's in there. When I tell her that the "juice drink" that she wants has 120 calories per serving and that there are three servings in the bottle, its astonishing to her that she could eat a plateful of food for the same calorie content and that's not even mentioning the sugar involved. Kids have absolutely NO idea what they're eating and its our job to teach them.

I watched a Maury Povich show the other day and three year olds weighed over 100 pounds. I almost lost my mind!!!!! What the parents fail to even consider, it seems, is that these kids can't go out and buy the crap themselves. Why would a family even have ding dongs, fruit loops and twinkies in their house? Its not even the obese individuals who shouldn't be eating this crap. You can be thin and still be nutritionally starving oneself.

Food in its most natural state is what should be consumed. Not something that spent 12 hours being "processed," and loaded onto a truck.

Well at least I can post this at another site where I got attacked for saying it was okay for a child to have fish sticks and peas for breakfast if the other choice is sugary cereal. At least the fish has protein.

I wish you hadn't said anything about fish sticks... I'm DYING for some now.....

But I think I'm very glad that my girls don't like the sweetened stuff at all -- they don't even like candy. They'll eat fruit any day and drink water over sodas. Actually, my oldest loves plain ol' Corn Flakes and the youngest loves Cheerios -- both without anything other than milk.

I am all for helping keep food companies in line, but it is still up to the parents to do what they think is best. Perhaps with fewer choices parents will be much more able to make these choices for their kids. It's the quality of what they eat that makes a difference between health and being unhealthy.

Autumn I appreciate your post but I do have to say that for any topic you can find the extreme on the internet and often what is written has taken a sensationalistic spin.... For years animal rights groups have taken glee in going for the shock value while attacking meat producers.
I would have to take any thing like that that I read with a grain of salt as its ALMOST always backed by animal rights groups which have their own agenda.
I am not discounting it entirely.... however, it would be financial devistation for a business to conduct themselves that way...
Especially one with animal rights groups breathing down their necks.
Meat producers are in business to make money and the best way to do that is to provide a quality product..

Im far from a animal rights activist, I grew up in a hunting family and my husband hunts. Before you disregard it, look it up. The USDA is well aware of it, you can email them. It is not uncommon knowledge their statement is they do not believe it hurts us or affects us. It isnt financial devastation for a company that is a government company, who would take them down? The government controls the court system. Im not saying it hurts us, there are no studies that show it does but after reading it even my milk drinker husband has taken a second look at it.

Here's medical research studies from pub med (obviously completely official and not an animal rights group)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/e...ez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/e...ez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/e...ez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum (this one goes in detail with it being found in bulk milk)

(another one discussing it in bulk milk)
( another study regarding it being in bulk milk)

These are a few out of 85 different studies on pubmed.
Honestly did you think I would throw it out there without a little information to back it up ;)

Im far from a animal rights activist, I grew up in a hunting family and my husband hunts. Before you disregard it, look it up. The USDA is well aware of it, you can email them. It is not uncommon knowledge their statement is they do not believe it hurts us or affects us. It isnt financial devastation for a company that is a government company, who would take them down? The government controls the court system. Im not saying it hurts us, there are no studies that show it does but after reading it even my milk drinker husband has taken a second look at it.

Autumn2004, thank you for sharing this bit of information with us (and also the info in your other posts). It is scary to think about serving up foods at home when we just don't know if they do contain something that could hurt us. IMO with all the diseases that seem to be affecting more of our population, the USDA, etc... would be more careful about what is being sold in our country and passed off as "safe". And I don't know how to say this in a politically correct way, but, it is also very scary that our food is such "big business" that the government doesn't move to make changes because they would suffer monetary loss by being harsh about some things.

Jeana (DP), I also appreciate your input about "label intelligence", I have been getting better at reading the labels because we do try to avoid trans fats and the "empty calorie" type foods. I sometimes even look up some of the ingredients to make sure they are not the "plastic" forms of food. I nearly fell over when I heard someone comment at the doctors office that our "margerine" was just like eating plastic. (unhealthy and chemical ridden)

All of the other posts here do seem to show that as consumers and parents, we are all collectively seeking healthier food choices for our families and IMO this is the type of give and take that can lead to changes. I find it somewhat sad that in this case with Kelloggs, it takes litigation in a courtroom to institute a change when IMO it shouldn't have to go "that far". I feel that in some ways our government may be more aware about the dangers in foods, but by having an unhealthy population, it spurs on the economy with the drugs people take to "cure" an unhealthy cholesterol level or the weight loss surgeries that are done on a daily basis to "cure" obesity.

Again, I am sorry for rambling on, I do get caught up in my own thoughts and try to relay them in a manner that isn't too confusing! It's just a situation where I feel like I was raised "in the twilight zone", my parents grew a lot of our food (canned it/froze it for the winter months when it wasn't freshly available) and went to "hand pick" their cow/pig that was to be raised for dinners (gross, huh?) and hunted and fished for most of the other stuff that went into our bodies. The one food we took a lot of joy in having was... Kelloggs cereal. They didn't grow it and we got to eat something that we didn't have to work for! LOL!

Autumn2004, thank you for sharing this bit of information with us (and also the info in your other posts). It is scary to think about serving up foods at home when we just don't know if they do contain something that could hurt us. IMO with all the diseases that seem to be affecting more of our population, the USDA, etc... would be more careful about what is being sold in our country and passed off as "safe". And I don't know how to say this in a politically correct way, but, it is also very scary that our food is such "big business" that the government doesn't move to make changes because they would suffer monetary loss by being harsh about some things.

Jeana (DP), I also appreciate your input about "label intelligence", I have been getting better at reading the labels because we do try to avoid trans fats and the "empty calorie" type foods. I sometimes even look up some of the ingredients to make sure they are not the "plastic" forms of food. I nearly fell over when I heard someone comment at the doctors office that our "margerine" was just like eating plastic. (unhealthy and chemical ridden)

All of the other posts here do seem to show that as consumers and parents, we are all collectively seeking healthier food choices for our families and IMO this is the type of give and take that can lead to changes. I find it somewhat sad that in this case with Kelloggs, it takes litigation in a courtroom to institute a change when IMO it shouldn't have to go "that far". I feel that in some ways our government may be more aware about the dangers in foods, but by having an unhealthy population, it spurs on the economy with the drugs people take to "cure" an unhealthy cholesterol level or the weight loss surgeries that are done on a daily basis to "cure" obesity.

Again, I am sorry for rambling on, I do get caught up in my own thoughts and try to relay them in a manner that isn't too confusing! It's just a situation where I feel like I was raised "in the twilight zone", my parents grew a lot of our food (canned it/froze it for the winter months when it wasn't freshly available) and went to "hand pick" their cow/pig that was to be raised for dinners (gross, huh?) and hunted and fished for most of the other stuff that went into our bodies. The one food we took a lot of joy in having was... Kelloggs cereal. They didn't grow it and we got to eat something that we didn't have to work for! LOL!

Your welcome, I am a nutrition nut and Im always researching. Im a vegan but my daughter and husband are not, but with me being limited on my foods Im always researching to find the healthiest foods to get a very balanced diet. I wasn't always this way though, it started about 3 years ago. I do feel its a shady deal and the government is hiding things. Im not a big fan of them even though I have three family members high up in government occupations.

With the bovine leukemia, first they denied it and then it was found in studies, secondly they said well it wont transfer through the milk and then it was found that it did, third they said our bodies wouldn't absorb it and then it was found in our bodies when the testing was done and now they say well it wont hurt you to be in there because it doesn't hurt cows. Well they *forget* to mention that the reason it doesn't hurt dairy cows is because they kill them early on for meat due to it killing the milk supply and they are no use to them anymore :slap:

We have eliminated dairy completely for me and my daughter. My husband once in a while likes his chocolate fix though, I eat a non dairy kind. With the rising cases of leukemia and cancer and no other possible reasons given its made us raise an eyebrow about it.

I grew up that way too :) My grandpa's brother was a cattle rancher and my uncle raised chickens and turkeys. We always had a huge garden and apple, cherry, and pear trees. My grandma grew grapes. Growing up in a hunting family there are foods I did eat that I would never eat now but we never threw food away, we used it all.

I also agree it shouldn't have to go that far but in the end of the day business and government are mostly thinking about their agenda. I wonder if USDA employees who are well aware of the problem feed it to their families?

Autumn...

I did not mean that you were with that group... I was simply stating that in general on the internet one can easily find such things that fall to one extreme or the other.

Boyz_mum it sounds like you probably had a healthier diet then most of us growing up... Since most of it was raised or grown at home.

Autumn...

I did not mean that you were with that group... I was simply stating that in general on the internet one can easily find such things that fall to one extreme or the other.

Boyz_mum it sounds like you probably had a healthier diet then most of us growing up... Since most of it was raised or grown at home.

Sorry :) I misunderstood. I agree it is so easy to find kooks online. I always refer back to pubmed for information to verify it because you never know even if it seems official.

Autumn...

Thanks Amraann, we did have a healthy-ish diet but way back in the 70's, we just thought my dad was a real cheapskate because he wouldn't buy us fast food! Fast forward to today and I realize the cost of planting a garden and trying to figure out how to can and freeze EVERYTHING! LOL! With the cash my husband spends on hunting and such, it barely makes a difference in the grocery budget but I hope and pray that in the long run it helps us to be somewhat healthier.

As a side note, being a "Michigander" is probably what made my dad "allow" that cereal into our home. It wouldn't surprise me if he knew a guy who knew a guy, that grew corn for corn flakes... LOL.

Anyway, thanks all of you for sharing your "feeding the family" stories. While I do tend to get wrapped up in the "conspiracy theories" of everything pertaining to government, I appreciate being able to learn from people. I hope everyone has a great week ahead of them!

Thanks Amraann, we did have a healthy-ish diet but way back in the 70's, we just thought my dad was a real cheapskate because he wouldn't buy us fast food! Fast forward to today and I realize the cost of planting a garden and trying to figure out how to can and freeze EVERYTHING! LOL! With the cash my husband spends on hunting and such, it barely makes a difference in the grocery budget but I hope and pray that in the long run it helps us to be somewhat healthier.

As a side note, being a "Michigander" is probably what made my dad "allow" that cereal into our home. It wouldn't surprise me if he knew a guy who knew a guy, that grew corn for corn flakes... LOL.

Anyway, thanks all of you for sharing your "feeding the family" stories. While I do tend to get wrapped up in the "conspiracy theories" of everything pertaining to government, I appreciate being able to learn from people. I hope everyone has a great week ahead of them!

I grew up in Michigan too and I think that living here makes hunting a normal family event, even my frail little grandmother hunted. My mom, my sister and me are the only females out of the family who chose not to.

Speaking of the kellogg family, I did go to school with one in Arizona. It was funny that I went to school with her and met her all the way across the country and yet she only lived a town away from me when I was at home growing up.

I grew up in Michigan too and I think that living here makes hunting a normal family event, even my frail little grandmother hunted. My mom, my sister and me are the only females out of the family who chose not to.

Speaking of the kellogg family, I did go to school with one in Arizona. It was funny that I went to school with her and met her all the way across the country and yet she only lived a town away from me when I was at home growing up.

I've lived here for most of my life- tried out a few other states but always found my way back to the Great Lakes. It's funny to hear someone talk about hunting and I kind of giggled at the mental picture of your "frail little grandmother" out hunting. I tease with my husband that he looks a little like Elmer Fudd when he leaves for a day of hunting... Personally, I don't hunt (hubby says I make too much noise and scare the deer) but I don't mind cooking the venison. So far, our county has been pretty safe as far as that deer disease that was/is contaminating the deer.

It is such a small world when you grow up near someone and yet don't meet them until your miles away.

Thanks for sharing, Autumn2004. In an earlier post you mentioned being a vegan and I have to admit, if our food chain, FDA and the other powers that be don't make changes (before a zillion years worth of litigation!)... we may be switching over our diets too. I appreciate that you will speak about government being a bit sneaky with the facts. I get too riled about it all.

:clap::clap::clap::clap: Thank you, Autumn2004...

So we all agree and think that most people should know fresh fruits and veggies are best. But what about the other stuff?

My parents both have masters degrees, and I can't convince them that "Sugar-free" just means aspartame. OR - I read the actual label on the "No Sugar Added" all-fruit Edy's popsicles they bought ("Excellent source of essential vitamins...") - more aspartame.

You really have to look and you have to know what to look for on labels. Saturated fat was bad, then "trans fat" was bad. I didn't know trans fat was "partially hydrogenated oils". Also - anything with less than .5 trans fat per serving can be labeled "No Trans Fat"... (check out a wheat thins box)

Kelloggs, like other large companies, is looking at the bottom line. It's cheaper to use cheap products made with chemicals and add in some chemical vitamins to get people to buy the food.

It's not playing fair, and that's why there should be lawsuits - to keep companies semi-honest. Government regulation can't do it - too easily influenced.

:clap::clap::clap::clap: Thank you, Autumn2004...

So we all agree and think that most people should know fresh fruits and veggies are best. But what about the other stuff?

My parents both have masters degrees, and I can't convince them that "Sugar-free" just means aspartame. OR - I read the actual label on the "No Sugar Added" all-fruit Edy's popsicles they bought ("Excellent source of essential vitamins...") - more aspartame.

You really have to look and you have to know what to look for on labels. Saturated fat was bad, then "trans fat" was bad. I didn't know trans fat was "partially hydrogenated oils". Also - anything with less than .5 trans fat per serving can be labeled "No Trans Fat"... (check out a wheat thins box)

Kelloggs, like other large companies, is looking at the bottom line. It's cheaper to use cheap products made with chemicals and add in some chemical vitamins to get people to buy the food.

It's not playing fair, and that's why there should be lawsuits - to keep companies semi-honest. Government regulation can't do it - too easily influenced.

Your welcome :)
I agree its pitiful, If you were not familiar with how the labels are worded and how to read them you could really be screwed. Unfortunately the labels are not always correct and if you call the company they do not have to tell you the products they use if its just a wash or spray as long as its not a top ten allergen. Unfortunately people have allergies beyond the scope of the top ten. Corn allergy is on the rise, Corn is used in sprays and washes for meat, veggies and fruits. It is used in drywall, carpet,cleaners, aerosol sprays just about nearly everything. One day it will be nationwide for gasoline and I feel badly for the people who wont be able to breathe it in the air without a reaction.

Msg is another hidden one and is in almost all prepared foods. Genetically modified foods (gmo) are also another hidden one. There have been some studies done with msg but not enough and there are a huge amount of side effects from it ranging from headaches to rashes but its almost impossible to trace it back since it is in almost every prepared product.

Gmo's, hardly any studies done on it, pushed through for cheaper prices and more profits for farmers so they could stay in business with walmart's and other cheap chain stores. Some tomatoes company have injected oils from fish into tomatoes to keep them from being sensitive to the cold and frost. It might sound good because you will protect the product but we do not know long term use of how it might affect us, affect the foods themselves, and what kind of horrid allergies it might cause since technically they do not need to list gmo products. The biggest ones are corn, rice, soybean, canola oil (rapeseed), and papaya from hawaii.

I hate buying organic and spending a fortune on food but there is one bonus to organic which is they always list gmo products and most of them are labeled non-gmo product. My biggest issue is the secrecy of it all, We should know in labels what we are eating so we can make an informed decision on whether to buy it or not. For popsicles and ice cream I make my own. If any of you want recipes for something homemade odds are I have one :) since I make almost everything from scratch. The only thing I have yet to try is making my own flours. I have made my own noodles before and I choose to let tinkyada pastas do that for me ;)

I've lived here for most of my life- tried out a few other states but always found my way back to the Great Lakes. It's funny to hear someone talk about hunting and I kind of giggled at the mental picture of your "frail little grandmother" out hunting. I tease with my husband that he looks a little like Elmer Fudd when he leaves for a day of hunting... Personally, I don't hunt (hubby says I make too much noise and scare the deer) but I don't mind cooking the venison. So far, our county has been pretty safe as far as that deer disease that was/is contaminating the deer.

It is such a small world when you grow up near someone and yet don't meet them until your miles away.

Thanks for sharing, Autumn2004. In an earlier post you mentioned being a vegan and I have to admit, if our food chain, FDA and the other powers that be don't make changes (before a zillion years worth of litigation!)... we may be switching over our diets too. I appreciate that you will speak about government being a bit sneaky with the facts. I get too riled about it all.

We are on the outskirts of lansing but we hunt in mancelona and east jordan. Some tb is up there but before we have it processed we just take the head in for them to tell. I cook venison for my husband too, he loves venison summer sausage and jerky. I use the summer sausage in chili quite a bit and I make a spicy beef stew out of the tidbits. I havent had to do it for a few years though, my husband has been falling asleep hunting and he hunts on the ground, he woke up last year and a deer was two feet in front of him sniffing him and it spooked him a bit lol!

Being an organic vegan has a nice bonus to it, I rarely would be affected by tainted food recalls. I dont think there has been one yet for organic food. My daughter is mostly vegan but likes her chicken with her dad. She has had a milk allergy from a year old so she hasnt ever had dairy products. Being a vegan and cutting out salt of my diet for the most part allowed me to go off my blood pressure medicine and my cholesterol is very low, 102. My only situation right now is I need to eat more starches, sometimes its hard to keep weight on and I need to pack a little extra weight on since I have a tendency to get cold easy in the winter. I hope to put on about ten pounds.

Autumn, do you have any websites that you recommend a person look into regarding organic vegan (or just vegan) diets? I would like to read more about this. (I hesitate to use cholesterol lowering meds, and I think the doc is getting a little annoyed with me!) If you've already posted a link in the thread here, I will go back and look. Thanks!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stahoe
Back