Kentucky - Judge killed, sheriff arrested in Letcher County courthouse shooting - Sep. 19, 2024 # 2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I see it as well! I wonder if it's an alarm? After all, judge had his robe on, so it appears he might've needed to be somewhere shortly after lunch.
I see what everyone is looking at but I am not convinced it is a call coming in or an alarm. It happens as the desk is moving and looks to me more like the phone was moved to brighter sun and we are seeing a reflection.

Edit: corrected typo noy -> not

Last edited:
What do we (collectively as WSs) know about workplace shootings? Setting aside the spectacle of the courthouse as a setting, and also setting aside the alleged perpetrator (Sheriff) and the victim (judge)?

Don’t these shootings generally arise as workplace disputes? In general, do they not have loss of job as a motive?

What might have motivated MS to execute KM?
Right. Seems like this is more of a work place related shooting and way less personal than suggested by news rags like DM. Definitely more work related with personal relationship aspects.
That's why I've wondered if the sheriff was in over his head in some illegal matter, possibly financial, and was probably facing something way more than he could handle, and was hoping maybe the judge would help him, but the judge didn't play the good ol boy system and the sheriff shot him because he felt like he was already going down for something else huge.

I see what everyone is looking at but I am noy convinced it is a call coming in or an alarm. It happens as the desk is moving and looks to me more like the phone was moved to brighter sun and we are seeing a reflection.
Good point!!!

Well then since the prosecution wanted to play the video during that hearing and the hearing was televised, it was bound to become public. As a prosecutor, I too would have wanted to play the video. I would have moved to disallow cameras in the courtroom, but that is ultimately the judge's call, so now we've all witnessed this man's murder firsthand.

I have a question for @riolove77 based on your experience as a prosecutor. In this case there is no question that Stines killed Mullins so the defense attorney is doing the only thing he can. He is trying to say it was a "crime of passion" or whatever they call it there. No mystery in that. He has given a couple of interview that were posted upthread where he did exactly that.. In my opinion that is to plant doubt in potential jurors.

So my question is...IF it comes out that the judge had done something illegal that would reasonably anger the sheriff, would there be any reason you would plea this down to manslaughter?

I see what everyone is looking at but I am not convinced it is a call coming in or an alarm. It happens as the desk is moving and looks to me more like the phone was moved to brighter sun and we are seeing a reflection.

Edit: corrected typo noy -> not
If you slow down the playback speed you can see it better. IMO it definitely looks like a call or some kind of notification comes in.

No evidence of “Before” the Sheriff dialed it”
What about ‘after’? What’s the evidence on ‘after’?
Not sure what you’re getting at. “After” the sheriff dialed the number on the phone, clearly the number was going to be on the phone.

Vinnie Politan and Court TV focus on the phone in this analysis (approx. 17:00 in):

Ok, in that video it definitely looks like a call coming in.

The two backpacks is interesting too. Probably one is the sheriffs and one belongs to the judge but why wouldn't the sheriff have taken his when he left?

Ok, in that video it definitely looks like a call coming in.

The two backpacks is interesting too. Probably one is the sheriffs and one belongs to the judge but why wouldn't the sheriff have taken his when he left?
If one of those was his, then it wouldn’t have occurred to him to take it. He knew what he’d done, and what was next; he wouldn’t be needing it anymore.

I see it as well! I wonder if it's an alarm? After all, judge had his robe on, so it appears he might've needed to be somewhere shortly after lunch.
IMO it looks like the screen on an iPhone when the phone is locked and it’s receiving a call. You can see the white circle on the bottom left of the screen that you would swipe over to answer the call, as well as what appears to be the phone number or contact name at the top of the screen.

An alarm on an iPhone displays an orange snooze button in the middle of the phone, and a smaller gray button centered at the bottom of the screen which I don’t see here.

IME, android devices have completely different interfaces that don’t match what is seen from the phone on the desk.

Screenshot of the phone from the video (zoomed in as far as YouTube would allow) posted upthread is attached.

All my opinion.

Attachments

• IMG_5058.png
    IMG_5058.png
    516.2 KB · Views: 9

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads