Kentucky - Judge killed, sheriff arrested in Letcher County courthouse shooting - Sep. 19, 2024 # 2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
(snipped for focus) I suspect whatever the motivation was, Stines believed life as he knew it was done anyway.
Snipped and bolded by me. I think this is a very astute observation, and goes along with him appearing to be almost zoned out/out of it in the courtroom. It was like he was somehow already dead inside.

Snipped and bolded by me. I think this is a very astute observation, and goes along with him appearing to be almost zoned out/out of it in the courtroom. It was like he was somehow already dead inside.
I agree. He was a man prepared for his fate once he pulled that trigger.

I do think his defense team will do their best, but the perp is resigned in his mind and heart, for the rest of his life behind bars.

jmo

Just thinking what Stines "kidnapping wife and daughter comment" might indicate.
To me it indicated that he was feeling threatened about losing his family.
IMO, IF he was abusive towards them, perhaps he knew they were planning on leaving him. And at this point we don’t know if or how Mullins may have been involved and/or in communication with them.

To me, the relevant timeline is roughly:

1) Personality changes beginning about two months ago
2) Significant weight loss over two months
3) Possible paranoid ideation
4) Increasing bizarre behavior around time of deposition

Although this could represent a mental health crisis of some sort, my first impression, without considering specific facts of this case, would be crystal meth or crack cocaine abuse. I hope a drug screen was done at the time of his arrest.

Small town LE is not uncommonly corrupted by drug distributors.

Although I have seen no evidence of this in MSM, I hope LE is looking into this.

4) Increasing bizarre behavior around time of deposition

Although this could represent a mental health crisis of some sort, my first impression, without considering specific facts of this case, would be crystal meth or crack cocaine abuse. I hope a drug screen was done at the time of his arrest.

Although I have seen no evidence of this in MSM, I hope LE is looking into this.
What was the bizarre behavior and personality changes?

I do NOT think this is what happened but this is kind of what I was thinking in the quoted scenario...

Sheriff says he has evidence of kickbacks from ARC... "Stand up and turn around. You are under arrest."

Judge: "Are you nuts? You have a family to think about."

Sheriff: "On the ground. Now."

Judge: ""Why do you think your daughter didn't answer? Put the gun down."

And that's when the sheriff fired.

That would be completely consistent with the video and contact with the daughter. Do I think that is what happened? No.

But it could explain a justifiable use of force by the sheriff.
I agree with your scenario except for the last line. Justifiable to shoot and kill someone?

agree, which begs the question, had Mullins not offered an opportunity to speak in private in chambers, would he be dead? and if so, how would the sheriff had done it? Would there have been some tragic accident? Would a prowler in the night have killed him is his sleep, and potentially other household members? On a country road with no other witnesses around?

Because I do not for one moment buy the extreme emotional disturbance defense (for now) defense. He meant for that man to die. I don't think he cared about the means of accomplishing it. But when Mullins offered him the private chat, it was too good and tempting to pass on. I suspect whatever the motivation was, Stines believed life as he knew it was done anyway.
Bingo! Me too.

I agree. He was a man prepared for his fate once he pulled that trigger.

I do think his defense team will do their best, but the perp is resigned in his mind and heart, for the rest of his life behind bars.

jmo
Ha! If he thought his life was bad before, just wait until he goes to prison. What a fool. IMO

I'm not OP but did find this - “So Very Sad”: Judge Allegedly Tried To “Kidnap” Sherrif’s Wife And Daughter, So He Fired At Him.

From the above report:
"The theory of the daughter, a minor, being taken advantage of has been disproved by Stines’ wife’s sister in law, who set up a page to help the family with their expenses following the Sheriff’s firing.

“The rumor about their daughter being sexually abused is false. We don’t want anyone donating under false pretenses,” she wrote."

There's so much parsed wording in this case, hence our confusion. It would be clearer if the SIL had stated "The rumor of sexual abuse is false, as is the rumor of their being an inappropriate relationship between the Judge and their daughter". That would have shut down that conversation.

All JMO
People can say anything, especially those with the most to lose. IMO

What was the bizarre behavior and personality changes?
I haven't seen specific descriptions, but there are multiple reports that he wasn't acting like himself - unfortunately nothing more specific. There are also quotes about some strange behavior around the time of his deposition - again nothing specific. This is a case where it feels like we know everything and simultaneously know nothing.

Other than the very specific video, almost all information available in this case is vague and nonspecific.

Maybe he was stressed out by the lawsuit, potential marital problems, possible upcoming empty nest syndrome, or some other stressor of which we know not. Maybe he was involved in an investigation leading somewhere he dared not go. All of his vaguely reported behaviors and (probably exaggerated) weight loss could be explained by stress alone.

It is hard to be to imagine that this crime is solely related to the lawsuit - unless he was somehow informed that the state/county would not indemnify him for some reason and he would be personally liable.

Good point. ^^^^
It's all so bizarre.

What's the term for a person who is full of themselves ?
Hubris ?

The most galling statement was that the sheriff wanted to be treated 'fairly'.
Just infuriating.
Was Judge Mullins treated fairly ?
If Stines thought he had "just cause", then go after him legally -- Mullins deserved his day in court.
If this execution is excused and Stines walks someday (I hope not !!); then none of us are safe.
Omo.
Egotistical….Narcissistic….Arrogant

Ha! If he thought his life was bad before, just wait until he goes to prison. What a fool. IMO
I don't think he's under any illusions that his life got better, but that his punishment is worth it.

(Murder is not justified. I'm just stating that as I don't want to give the impression I agree with the sheriff's actions but am simply stating he committed the crime with eyes wide open.)

jmo

Right on. I agree, I don't think there was any touchy feely behind the call. I think he was amping himself up. I've had a case where a person called their mom before they shot their girl friend, and there wasn't any touchy feels. Remember most people in the throws of crime are not in the best mind space, and possibly never were!

Justification? Like how?

Justification, as if the judge and the daughter had a relationship?

Don't you think that narrative has been a bit played out with zero proof? Why should a victim be dragged through the mud because we can't come up with a justification for a murderer calling a family member before he kills someone?
Justification as in the "they're kidnapping my wife and child" or whatever he said. He may have been "cosplaying" with the judge. (I don't know if that is the correct word). Hate to use the word, but maybe it was some sort of "foreplay" to murder. Like he had to create "some kind of drama" or something, rather just go in and kill him. (Like the school bullies do. I was bullied and they would come up to me saying, "You gave me a dirty look", "I heard you called me a ______", "You called my boyfriend"...on and on. It always started with something they fabricated) He maybe was trying to create some sort of "defense", by doing the phone calling. This guy was not in a normal mental state. I'm also not a good writer! MOO

Last edited:

4) Increasing bizarre [unusual out of character] behavior around time of deposition

I have edited 4) to more closely fit the descriptors used by others. Stines was described as more quiet/taciturn, He also stopped updating the sheriff dept FB page and announced he would not run again for sheriff. He was described as not seeming himself in the weeks leading up to the deposition.

Not sure what I think about drugs playing a role but I think it is a valid thing to consider in light of behavior changes and the self reported extreme weight loss.

Justification as in the "they're kidnapping my wife and child" or whatever he said. He may have been "cosplaying" with the judge. (I don't know if that is the correct word). Hate to use the word, but maybe it was some sort of "foreplay" to murder. Like he had to create "some kind of drama" or something, rather just go in and kill him. He maybe was trying to create some sort of "defense". This guy was not in a normal mental state. I'm also not a good writer!
I think the "foreplay" was to make sure the judge knew why the sheriff was going to kill him. He didn't want to ambush the judge by surprise, but to do it so the judge had full knowledge.

jmo

I have edited 4) to more closely fit the descriptors used by others. Stines was described as more quiet/taciturn, He also stopped updating the sheriff dept FB page and announced he would not run again for sheriff. He was described as not seeming himself in the weeks leading up to the deposition.

Not sure what I think about drugs playing a role but I think it is a valid thing to consider in light of behavior changes and the self reported extreme weight loss.
Or, it could be he was making the decision on what to do. Whatever lead up the the murder did not happen in a day and obviously was a stress to him. Deciding, as a sheriff of all people, to commit murder had to take a toll on his body and soul in the time leading up to it, plus the heaviness of whatever his motive was.

I don't he was on drugs, but that's just my guess.

jmo

Do you have a link for this? I've never seen the claim that the daughter was SAed in MSM, and I certainly haven't seen her respond to that claim.

Do you have a link to the daughter saying no sexual assault by judge.?

Tia
I am mainly basing her denial off of the sexual abuse on what was written on their . Even though it was written by her aunt, I am assuming that the wife and daughter have given their approval and are monitoring it. This would mean, IMO, that the SIL’s statements are also reflection of her own. The wording has made sure to include the word ‘we’ in it. Furthermore, the aunt has also indicated through messaging and tagging the wife and daughter when a new inquiry had to be investigated that they are of both well aware of what was written and are part of the decision-making process as seen when the donations aims changed from helping MS with legal fee and transportation to only supporting his wife and daughter. In other words, it is not just SIL and mom communicating through the posts but the daughter too in my opinion.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
telecrushxx
Back