Kentucky - Judge killed, sheriff arrested in Letcher County courthouse shooting - Sep. 19, 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Honorable Kevin Mullins received acclaim for a pilot program he helped establish to treat non-violent offenders with behavioral health issues which focused on rehabilitation in an effort to reduce recidivism. It appears that Stines was also involved in this mission to get people into treatment rather than jail and the courts and sheriff's office worked closely together to accomplish the goals of the program. I base this on posts I see on FB tagging the sheriff's office page and Mickey Stines personally thanking them for the opportunity for treatment.

I am very curious to see how this case plays out and hear the motive in this case. I don't understand what the two could have been trading phones to look at just prior to the argument and shooting?
Examining Kentucky’s pilot program to treat non-violent offenders with behavioral health issues

of interest to me is the information that there were video cameras in the judge's chambers. I wonder when those cameras were installed? Were those cameras present when the former deputy who is facing the civil suit for impropriety was allegedly in that same office engaging in sex with the petitioner? Or were they added later, after that allegation came out?

Last edited:
<Snipped for focus>

The motive will 100% be deeply personal.
My guess is, the judge did something unforgivable in the shooter's mind, and eliminating him was the only proper justice.

jmo
I just hope that whatever evidence there was was real and not some edited phony photoshop inflammatory thing.... LE is too smart to believe anything doctored, right?

Can't find it now but I remember reading that the reason the Judge's chambers were used for the former deputy's sexual favors was precisely because there were no cameras. Guess I'm wrong.
That would have been four three years ago and I would not be surprised if cameras were added because of the problem caused by the former deputy. It was a recent report that indicated there is no audio but video of Stiles and Mullins exchanging their phones with each other. JMO

Last edited:
Wowza.

This is like a plotline out of Justified. Smalltown intrigue aside, the idea that of a sitting sheriff walking into the judge's chambers, exchanging phones and then shooting that unarmed judge repeatedly before walking out to surrender is genuinely shocking.

I wonder if the ones exchanged were their own, and what they contained. Makes sense that the sheriff would want the judge to see whatever he had on his phone, but why the exchange?

Extraordinary. I get the rush to recuse.

This is not clear to me here.
I was under the impression there were no cameras in the Judge's chambers.
Chambers generally have an anteroom, sort of like a reception area where the secretary sits and through which one goes to access chambers, which is a private room separated by a door that is behind the anteroom. There may well be cameras within the anteroom, but ime, judges do not have cameras within chambers proper. Hth.

Can't find it now but I remember reading that the reason the Judge's chambers were used for the former deputy's sexual favors was precisely because there were no cameras. Guess I'm wrong.
No, you are remembering correctly. This was for that prior lawsuit case in, was it—2022?
“In late June, the suit says, he asked her to meet at the courthouse after dark and took her into a judge's chambers, telling her there were no cameras there.”

Maybe because of that, a camera was put in.

of interest to me is the information that there were video cameras in the judge's chambers. I wonder when those cameras were installed? Were those cameras present when the former deputy who is facing the civil suit for impropriety was allegedly in that same office engaging in sex with the petitioner? Or were they added later, after that allegation came out?
The civil lawsuit was filed early 2022 -- I believe the inappropriate actions by the former deputy occurred in 2021 when there were reportedly no cameras in the Judges Chambers. I think the deputy's conduct probably prompted the addition of a camera. JMO

That would have been four years ago and I would not be surprised if cameras were added because of the problem caused by the former deputy. It was a recent report that indicated there is no audio but video of Stiles and Mullins exchanging their phones with each other. JMO
my understanding is the SA took place in the judge's chambers in and after June of 2021. The lawsuit was filed in 2022, so not four years. I found this in reference to cameras but can't find anything thus far to substantiate if what Fields told his victim was accurate.

In late June, the suit says, he asked her to meet at the courthouse after dark and took her into a judge's chambers, telling her there were no cameras there.
Suit alleges Kentucky deputy forced woman to have sex in judge's chamber in lieu of fees

Chambers generally have an anteroom, sort of like a reception area where the secretary sits and through which one goes to access chambers, which is a private room separated by a door that is behind the anteroom. There may well be cameras within the anteroom, but ime, judges do not have cameras within chambers proper. Hth.
My understanding is that visual without audio was present IN Mullins inner chambers. the video of the day of the shooting shows Stines and the Judge in his chambers, Stine closes the door to the chambers and the men are seen swapping and looking at one another's phones, then Stines shot the judge multiple times.

I don't understand what the two could have been trading phones to look at just prior to the argument and shooting?
^^rsbm

We know that the Stiles and Mullins each shared lunch on Thursday together with others from the Court prior to meeting privately. Seems to me they may have been communicating with a mutual party, and decided to share the text exchange they separately had with the subject. IMO, ultimately, Stiles felt betrayed, and his response cost Mullins his life.

My understanding is that visual without audio was present IN Mullins inner chambers. the video of the day of the shooting shows Stines and the Judge in his chambers, Stine closes the door to the chambers and the men are seen swapping and looking at one another's phones, then Stines shot the judge multiple times.
Thank you. I’d envisioned the phone exchange occurring in the reception area, then the parties entering into chambers, with the closing of the door, then the shooting. So the shooting itself is on video. Wow. Thanks for the clarification!

9/20/24

Letcher County Sheriff Shawn M. Stines, 43, — whose role made him responsible for judges’ personal security — shot Mullins after an argument inside the judge’s chambers, a preliminary police investigation revealed. Stines is now facing a first-degree murder charge, state police said. CNN is trying to determine whether Stines has an attorney.

[..]

Law enforcement has yet to release details about the argument that led up to the shots, and the motive remains under investigation, Gayheart said, adding the incident was “isolated.”

Stines is jailed in nearby Leslie County. It is not clear when Stines will have his first court appearance because arraignments for crimes committed in Letcher County would normally be handled by Mullins, said Jackie Steele, the Commonwealth’s Attorney assigned to the case.

“The last word I got from the Court system was that they were looking for a judge to take the case and that the arraignment will be next week, but the date and time is unknown at this time,” Steele told CNN by email Friday.

This post lands at random...I was impressed by the demeanor and professionalism of the trooper in the video. It would appear from that demeanor that he has served his country and we know he now serves his community. Well done to this young man. MOO

9/20/24

Watts said he saw Mullins and Stines together shortly before noon Thursday — about three hours before the shooting — when he went into the judge’s chambers to ask him to sign some papers. Mullins and Stines were getting ready to go out to lunch together, Watts said.

It seemed like an ordinary interaction, except that Stines seemed quieter than usual. He thought the pair had a good working relationship and knew of nothing that could have prompted the violent encounter. Stines had been a bailiff in Mullins’ courtroom for years before becoming sheriff, Watts said.

If the judge handed his phone over to the sheriff inexchange for the sheriffs phone, MOO Mullins had no idea what level of threat the sheriff would interpret from whatever was on the phone.

MOO they each had communications from the same person.
Whatever the sheriff saw was a threat to himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025